Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2009, 12:54 PM   #31
jessandtwo
Mouseketeer

I just got an ad in the mail for Toys R Us and they have their annual buy a backpack get a lunch kit free. It says it starts July 3rd. There was also a $10 off $50 coupon on the front of the flier.
jessandtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:18 PM   #32
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereyago View Post
Momof1 Hope things turn around for your husband

I am odd, because I love school shopping. I will wait on clothes shopping for tax free weekend.
thank you as a matter of fact, he went back to work today! not sure for how long, but we're just grateful he's working. i love school shopping too! i always loved going to the bookstore as a little girl to get my new workbooks for the school year-i'm such a nerd, lol.
Register to remove

Old 06-30-2009, 04:02 PM   #33
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

STOCK UP ON EXTRA: glue sticks, notebook paper, and pencils. Every year round about February, we get the note home that the classroom is running low on these things and they ask for more donations. I don't mind donating, but I'd rather buy things when they are 10 cents, not $1.59! So I'm buying excess this year.

I'll actually have to do my back-to-school shopping this year in two rounds. My daughters' school is good about giving out specific grade-level lists that I can buy from. The junior-high list, however, in no way resembles the lists each teacher asks for at meet-the-teacher night, so I will have to wait until after that to buy for my son. I think this is the year he will need that pricy scientific calculator. At least he has a working backpack and PE clothes already!

PHXscuba
PHXscuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:05 PM   #34
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXscuba View Post
STOCK UP ON EXTRA: glue sticks, notebook paper, and pencils. Every year round about February, we get the note home that the classroom is running low on these things and they ask for more donations. I don't mind donating, but I'd rather buy things when they are 10 cents, not $1.59! So I'm buying excess this year.

I'll actually have to do my back-to-school shopping this year in two rounds. My daughters' school is good about giving out specific grade-level lists that I can buy from. The junior-high list, however, in no way resembles the lists each teacher asks for at meet-the-teacher night, so I will have to wait until after that to buy for my son. I think this is the year he will need that pricy scientific calculator. At least he has a working backpack and PE clothes already!

PHXscuba
i wish i knew if DD could use last year's PE clothes this year-those suckers are $18.00 a set! i was told by another mom last year that we had to buy new PE clothes each year, but the economy has taken such a horrible turn since then and with the school feeling the pinch too, maybe they'll loosen the rules.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:30 PM   #35
daileyad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandtwo View Post
I just got an ad in the mail for Toys R Us and they have their annual buy a backpack get a lunch kit free. It says it starts July 3rd. There was also a $10 off $50 coupon on the front of the flier.
What do their bags usually run? I was hoping to keep the kids' bags to around $15-20 each. Would be nice if they could get a new lunch box too.
daileyad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:34 AM   #36
lady_hlh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesRI View Post
Do you need the newspaper ad to get the freebies?
We eliminated our newspaper subscriptions, I wondered if we won't be able to get the free things. Last year we got some great freebies and deals at Staples, but I cant remember if I needed a coupon.
You can take a look at the ad scans for the CVS deals for the next 2 weeks on the full cup (AFC) website and the CVS thread on this board has a list up of next weeks deals. The school supply freebies are with extra care bucks so you need to have a CVS extra care card to get the ECBs back for the items purchased. This sunday the freebie specials are on scotch tape, #2 pencils and pencil sharpeners and it is a 2 day sale. Next Sunday there are way more freebies but I can't remember them all.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:40 AM   #37
dbelmo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyIt'sMe View Post
The school supply list just indicated she needed a scientific calculator that had the SIN, *** and TAN keys. The one I got has these keys. My DD will be in 7th grade - I'm sure when she gets to HS she'll need a higher end scientific calculator.

ETA: OK, I entered the 3-letter abbreviation for cosign and it was starred out. Didn't realize those 3 letters together were taboo!
I know what the 3-letter abberviation is, but for the life of me I can't figure our why it is taboo!
Old 07-01-2009, 05:42 AM   #38
dbelmo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLDisney View Post
My DD just got out of school last Friday and luckily, she got the supply list with her report card.

Does anyone know if dry-erase markers ever go on sale or where's the best place to get them? I anticipate that being our most expensive purchase. From prior year sales and basic household items I already have (like paper towels, tissues, etc), I pretty much have all of the stuff on the supply list but I will need to pick up a bunch of dry-erase markers (and from experience, she'll need more by the middle of the school year) and some other stuff like Post-It Notes, markers and glue sticks (silly me bought bottles of Elmers glue on sale last year, not knowing that the teachers don't want those.)

Helen
I usually can find deals on dry erase markers at Walgreens-- sometimes they have a coupon in thier flyer for buy 1 package get 1 package free. Keep your eye out for that.

HTH
dbelmo
Old 07-01-2009, 09:22 AM   #39
pilesoflaundry
it doesn't get scratched as often as I like

Quote:
Originally Posted by daileyad View Post
What do their bags usually run? I was hoping to keep the kids' bags to around $15-20 each. Would be nice if they could get a new lunch box too.
This year they may have better sales but I recall in past years it wasn't worth it. I found them cheaper separate. If you need both it may not be too bad but I want to say the very cheapest backpack was $20 and then they went up from there.

But I buy in advance. When they clearance out the backpacks and lunch boxes I buy up a couple. I finally ran out of the lunch boxes I bought for $2 4 years ago. They have been beaten into the ground

2 of my kids have jansport bags I bought on clearance and have been using for awhile and my youngest I just bought one on sale at target for $13. (sale ended Sat. but they may run it again) and they got new lunch boxes at walmart for $6.xx.

My knight in shining armor turned out to be a soldier in combat boots.

WDW June 2008, 2009x2 June and Sept., Sept. 2011
DL and DCA June 2013
pilesoflaundry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:19 AM   #40
jessandtwo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daileyad View Post
The backpacks in the flier I got are $14.99 each. You must buy one at a price of $12.99 or more to get the free lunch kit. These are are character backpacks, you know ones with spiderman, clone wars, barbie, hello kitty on them. I don't know what the cost of the non-character backpacks run. You might check on Toysrus.com, I'm sure they have them on there.
jessandtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:47 AM   #41
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLDisney View Post
My DD just got out of school last Friday and luckily, she got the supply list with her report card.

Does anyone know if dry-erase markers ever go on sale or where's the best place to get them? I anticipate that being our most expensive purchase. From prior year sales and basic household items I already have (like paper towels, tissues, etc), I pretty much have all of the stuff on the supply list but I will need to pick up a bunch of dry-erase markers (and from experience, she'll need more by the middle of the school year) and some other stuff like Post-It Notes, markers and glue sticks (silly me bought bottles of Elmers glue on sale last year, not knowing that the teachers don't want those.)

Helen
yes they do go on sale and last year Wlagreens had some good deals with them.
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:13 PM   #42
Rigatoni
Waiting for a rolling boil

Ugh, school supplies. I was just talking to my son about this. When I asked him if he had a list for the fall, he was like aahmom we just got out of school for crying out loud!
Rigatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:11 PM   #43
disneymom3
I think I could adjust!!
Owns a S'mores maker .... yum
I have declared a moratorium on the food/kid appliances

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandtwo View Post
Well, you must rate! I got the same thing but my coupon is for $10 off of $100. The only time I have ever spent that much at TRU is when I bought both of my boys DSs last year for Christmas. I want a $10 off of $50 one. That's much more likely. I never have thought of going to TRU for school supplies though.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:38 AM   #44
BCV513
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbelmo View Post
I know what the 3-letter abberviation is, but for the life of me I can't figure our why it is taboo!
Maybe the people who run the Dis hate math as much as I do?

BCV513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:08 AM   #45
Blue.Fairy2
DIS Veteran

I bought mechanical pencils and black ink pens at Walgreens for 75 cents a pack of 30 this week. They also had the small staplers with staple puller for 25 cents. A few other things also but did not need them. They were on a end cap at the back of the store.

I bought enough for us to last the school year and some to give to the school.

Blue.Fairy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: