Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2009, 07:12 PM   #16
mum4jenn
My dd is the love of my life!!
Sometimes I get the FRITO BANDITO jingle stuck in my head and I have to sing it all day!!!

Did they tell you that any scientific calculator would be ok??? Most school seem to want the TI-83 or 84 and they are around $100.

That is not on my Dd's list but I think they bought them for the school a couple of years back and they just check them out. Not sure though.
mum4jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:29 PM   #17
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4jenn View Post
Did they tell you that any scientific calculator would be ok??? Most school seem to want the TI-83 or 84 and they are around $100.

That is not on my Dd's list but I think they bought them for the school a couple of years back and they just check them out. Not sure though.
Our kids don't need those until 9th grade. In 7th they just need a standard scientific calculator.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-29-2009, 08:28 PM   #18
mizzoumom
Mouseketeer

I think it depends on where you live. I was in Target today and they are starting to set up. Here in Missouri they go on sale in July
mizzoumom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:07 PM   #19
Cibahwewah
DIS Veteran

Keep an eye on target.com, walmart.com, walgreens, office max, etc. You can find their local flyers online without having to subscribe to the paper. Over the course of the next 2 months, you should be able to get most of your supplies on sale. I have a friend who took her whole family (3 kids and hubby) to each store's school supply sale to get around the "limits." Costco has great looking backpacks and lunchboxes out already. For the last 2 years Toys R Us had a "buy a backpack, get a lunchbox free" deal.

I miss the bargain-shopping for school supplies. My kids go to private schools that ask for a check (~$100) for school supplies. It's convenient, but a very overpriced way to do it.
January 2009, Pop Century, November/December 2010, Grand Floridian, January 2012, Grand Floridian, September/October 2012, Bay Lake Tower/Disney Dream, April 2013, Disneyland, July 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska, February 2014, Beach Club March 2015, Wilderness Lodge/Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean
Cibahwewah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:11 PM   #20
LuckyMamaInDE
DIS Veteran

Good gravy, dd9 has only been out of school for two weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-29-2009, 09:20 PM   #21
hereyago
DIS Veteran

DD11 has only been 2 weeks as well.
Now July 4th weekend is coming up, it may be a quick summer before I realize it.
Like I wrote, her school's website all ready has the basic supply list, so trying to get that part out of the way.
hereyago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:32 PM   #22
DVCBELLE
Princess at Heart

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyIt'sMe View Post
I forgot to mention that she did get a new backpack --- she'd been using the same one for several years and it finally fell apart. That was $15.

So, the other $25 covered the required supplies:
1" binders (3), 2-pocket folders (4), 3-subject notebooks (2), composition notebooks (3), loose leaf paper (4 packs of 150 sheets), pack of 3x5 ruled notecards, 10-pack of pencils, 12-pack of colored pencils, 10-pack of blue pens, 2-pack of red pens, Kleenex. Plus, she got a mechanical pencil+lead which was not on the list.
I was hoping there was a backpack in there too!! LOL - funny that I can't stand to think that someone overpaid for somethine!!
Old 06-29-2009, 09:34 PM   #23
NYCDiane
DIS Veteran

I was at Wal Mart today and they had a bunch of school stuff on sale --- markers, glue sticks, book sox, etc. I think they just started putting the dislpay out; I'm sure by the weekend, they'll have the notebooks and all the other goodies. I'm buying all the basics now and will wait until August for the specifics (once we have the list)
NYCDiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:01 AM   #24
HeyIt'sMe
For Tag Fairy's Use only
That weed whacker just intimidates me somethin' fierce!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4jenn View Post

The school supply list just indicated she needed a scientific calculator that had the SIN, *** and TAN keys. The one I got has these keys. My DD will be in 7th grade - I'm sure when she gets to HS she'll need a higher end scientific calculator.

ETA: OK, I entered the 3-letter abbreviation for cosign and it was starred out. Didn't realize those 3 letters together were taboo!

1970s - Contemporary: Nov 1975
1980s - Offsite: Jun 1985
1990s - Polynesian: Oct 1991, Oct 1993

2000s - Polynesian: Sep 2000, Oct 2001, Sep 2002, Oct 2003, Oct 2004, Oct 2006, Oct 2008
2010s - Polynesian: Oct 2010, Oct 2011, Oct 2012, Oct 2013
Trip Planning in Progress - Grand Floridian (sorry Polynesian): Oct 2014
HeyIt'sMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:39 AM   #25
NikiM20
This is my first exchange so play fair!!
We have a pretty nice little zoo here

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCDiane View Post
I was at Wal Mart today and they had a bunch of school stuff on sale --- markers, glue sticks, book sox, etc. I think they just started putting the dislpay out; I'm sure by the weekend, they'll have the notebooks and all the other goodies. I'm buying all the basics now and will wait until August for the specifics (once we have the list)
We go back to school the first week of August!!! I go back that Thursday and DD goes Friday
Old 06-30-2009, 10:02 AM   #26
PaulaSue
I have a purple car too and love it
Even I need a nap now and then

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydisneyfans View Post
CVS has decided to join the free/cheap school supply list this year and the first ad with freebies comes out this Sunday. I would expect the other stores to start this Sunday also.
Thanks!

4 Parks, 3 Generations, 2 Birthdays, 1 Anniversary, Priceless...1/06

4 Parks, 3 Generations, 2nd Trip, 1 Week with Family and Friends...10/08

F&W, Music to our ears...10/11

Tire Pros "Family" is going to Disney...1/15
PaulaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:15 AM   #27
Gretchen3ajoshmom
Earning My Ears

Looking forward to the sales.....my kids just got out on the 17th..... they go back on my birthday - Sept 8th.... I go back to grad school on Augsust 31st..
I'm excited but terrifed
Gretchen3ajoshmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:08 AM   #28
HLDisney
DIS Veteran

My DD just got out of school last Friday and luckily, she got the supply list with her report card.

Does anyone know if dry-erase markers ever go on sale or where's the best place to get them? I anticipate that being our most expensive purchase. From prior year sales and basic household items I already have (like paper towels, tissues, etc), I pretty much have all of the stuff on the supply list but I will need to pick up a bunch of dry-erase markers (and from experience, she'll need more by the middle of the school year) and some other stuff like Post-It Notes, markers and glue sticks (silly me bought bottles of Elmers glue on sale last year, not knowing that the teachers don't want those.)

Helen
Second trip with DD (and 2 single mom friends and their DDs), Nov 2007, Pop Century
Trip with relatives, Nov 2008, CSR
Finally, another trip with DD and her BFF and her mom (same as 1st trip) and younger brother, Nov 2011, POR
HLDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:41 AM   #29
IDoDis
Knows the password to get into the Water Buffalo Lodge

Staples should have their sale ads starting this Sunday or the following Sunday. Each week they'll have lots of things for a penny and last year they had some items for free. There's a limit of 3 items each on those, but teachers can get 25 of each. I bought 75 packages of pencils, pocket folders (probably got around 200 of those), , little travel size bottles of Purell, rulers, pencil sharpeners, and packages of erasers -- all for under one dollar! Then, I got other things for 5 cents or 20 cents each. My trunk was loaded to the hilt by the end of the summer with supplies for my classroom. I probably spent around $7.00 when all was said and done.

They also offer rebates on things like the nicer pens, dry-erase markers, etc... where you pay for it and then go online to get the rebate, so in the end the item ends up being free.
Disney World ~ Pop Century, May '06
Disney World ~Windsor Hills, May '08
Disney World ~Wilderness Lodge, June '09
Disneyland ~ Offsite, Oct '10
Disney World ~ Boardwalk Inn, June '12
IDoDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:03 PM   #30
pilesoflaundry
it doesn't get scratched as often as I like

Walmart used to be the first but I noticed Target already had backpacks out and on sale. Maybe they are trying to beat them this year. Keep an eye on cvs for the month of July for free after ecbs pencils and tape plus other basics.

Some schools are starting earlier and earlier (my kids go back August 3rd!) so right after the 4th will really get things going.

My knight in shining armor turned out to be a soldier in combat boots.

WDW June 2008, 2009x2 June and Sept., Sept. 2011
DL and DCA June 2013
pilesoflaundry is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: