Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-13-2009, 05:07 PM   #1
surfergirl602
Well you're one step ahead of me
 
surfergirl602's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wherever the Army sends us, The World
Posts: 3,801

need to vent!!!! bad customer service with bank!

This bank that I will not name, we have our truck loan through, and that is all the business we have with them. Back last september, when my husband took a short deployment and we moved across the country, we put a hold on our payments for two months so we could use the money for the moving truck. Well, come direct debit day, they withdrew the money, and took out a payment anyway. After getting that sorted all out, they credited back my bank account for the payment. Well, that bank account was closed when we moved because it was a local bank. Apparently - and I'm just finding this out almost a year later... an employee made a mistake and credited the amount back twice!! I don't do the finances, but the truck is in my name. Well, they never tried to contact me, they said they sent out a notice, but we moved so I never got it... and waited until NOW to send me a collection letter for the money I owe them. NOW?!? A year later? I just spent a half an hour on the phone with them and they didn't know what the collection letter was for. They had to "look it up" and I spent ten minutes on hold. I have no problem paying this money back if it was given to us in error. My problem is, that we are scheduled to go on vacation at the end of august and I can't afford the extra $470.00 right now to give it to them!! Couldn't they have waited a few more months? I mean geesh... they've waited this long... what's a few more months, right? This makes me so mad and I told the woman that because of someone's error at the bank, my credit has been suffering and no one decided to even contact me about it. I'm so angry, I could spit! The lady I spoke with was understanding and is going to talk to her boss about it when I send in the payment and hopefully get the negative strike taken away. I hate banks!

Thanks for letting me vent.
__________________
June 2006 - off site 5th year anniversary May 2008 - POR the girls' very first trip! Aug 2009 - AKL, military homecoming trip! Sept 2009 - proud DVC owners at BLT!!! Oct 2010 AKV Mar 2012 - AOA Dec 2012 - welcome home, daddy surprise trip

My Author Blog!
https://melissamackinnon.wordpress.com
surfergirl602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
Lucky4me
****!
 
Lucky4me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: NY
Posts: 4,057

They credited the account twice, so you had extra money in the account? What happened to that money?
I think I'm confused.
__________________
I believe a family can make more wonderful memories in their own backyard than they can vacationing in Walt Disney World.
Lucky4me is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-13-2009, 06:36 PM   #3
surfergirl602
Well you're one step ahead of me
 
surfergirl602's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wherever the Army sends us, The World
Posts: 3,801

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky4me View Post
They credited the account twice, so you had extra money in the account? What happened to that money?
I think I'm confused.
i actually don't know what happened to it. We closed the account before they put the second credit through, and they say that it went through, but I do not have any statements with it on there.
__________________
June 2006 - off site 5th year anniversary May 2008 - POR the girls' very first trip! Aug 2009 - AKL, military homecoming trip! Sept 2009 - proud DVC owners at BLT!!! Oct 2010 AKV Mar 2012 - AOA Dec 2012 - welcome home, daddy surprise trip

My Author Blog!
https://melissamackinnon.wordpress.com
surfergirl602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:40 PM   #4
robsmom
loved it so much we might go back
 
robsmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: southern, nj
Posts: 1,572

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfergirl602 View Post
i actually don't know what happened to it. We closed the account before they put the second credit through, and they say that it went through, but I do not have any statements with it on there.
Do you have all your statements? I would not pay it until they can prove that they gave it to you twice. It is there obligation to show documentation. If you did receive it, I don't think you have a choice on timing of paying it back. Maybe offer them a payment plan?
__________________
Hard Rock Hotel 12/01, 11/06
Disneyland (Grand Californian) 5/03
Polynesian and HRH 5/04
Wilderness Lodge 7/05
Vistana 6/07
DCL 8/07
DCL, Wilderness Lodge, AKL 11/08
Yacht Club 11/09
robsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:45 PM   #5
akcire
Mouse expert, computer challenged
I am flushing myself to Disney
 
akcire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Naperville
Posts: 1,878

Ask them for proof

If your loan issuing bank issued two credits to your DDA (checking account) they should have two transmittal reports. I would ask for a copy of each of the transmittal reports showing the funds being transferred, each remittal will have a unique transmission number.

With that information you can contact you DDA bank, and verify both of the payments were posted. Even if the "loan bank" did make a mistake and sent a double credit, that does not mean that your bank where your checking account is located posted both of the credits. Until I verified that both of the payments were credited to my checking account, I would not pay anything.

Additionally, the "loan bank" needs to waive all late fees, finance charges, and most importantly they need to reverse any negative credit reporting. Finally ask the woman to provide you a good faith letter on bank letter head for your records. This way if you ever need to prove you paid this loan in good faith, and due to an error that occurred at the "loan bank" you were negatively impacted you won't have to call people that now have selective amnesia.

Good luck, if you have any other questions let me know.
akcire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:49 PM   #6
dhdozier
Happily Sharing Memories with my Family
 
dhdozier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ludowici, GA
Posts: 444

You have been given some good advice. Best wishes!!
dhdozier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:51 PM   #7
surfergirl602
Well you're one step ahead of me
 
surfergirl602's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wherever the Army sends us, The World
Posts: 3,801

Quote:
Originally Posted by akcire View Post
If your loan issuing bank issued two credits to your DDA (checking account) they should have two transmittal reports. I would ask for a copy of each of the transmittal reports showing the funds being transferred, each remittal will have a unique transmission number.

With that information you can contact you DDA bank, and verify both of the payments were posted. Even if the "loan bank" did make a mistake and sent a double credit, that does not mean that your bank where your checking account is located posted both of the credits. Until I verified that both of the payments were credited to my checking account, I would not pay anything.

Additionally, the "loan bank" needs to waive all late fees, finance charges, and most importantly they need to reverse any negative credit reporting. Finally ask the woman to provide you a good faith letter on bank letter head for your records. This way if you ever need to prove you paid this loan in good faith, and due to an error that occurred at the "loan bank" you were negatively impacted you won't have to call people that now have selective amnesia.

Good luck, if you have any other questions let me know.
That is the first thing I asked for. The lady I spoke with is sending it to me, and I have an inquiry with my old bank.
__________________
June 2006 - off site 5th year anniversary May 2008 - POR the girls' very first trip! Aug 2009 - AKL, military homecoming trip! Sept 2009 - proud DVC owners at BLT!!! Oct 2010 AKV Mar 2012 - AOA Dec 2012 - welcome home, daddy surprise trip

My Author Blog!
https://melissamackinnon.wordpress.com
surfergirl602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:19 AM   #8
Leajess99
DIS Veteran
 
Leajess99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 3,315

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfergirl602 View Post
This bank that I will not name, we have our truck loan through, and that is all the business we have with them. Back last september, when my husband took a short deployment and we moved across the country, we put a hold on our payments for two months so we could use the money for the moving truck. Well, come direct debit day, they withdrew the money, and took out a payment anyway. After getting that sorted all out, they credited back my bank account for the payment. Well, that bank account was closed when we moved because it was a local bank. Apparently - and I'm just finding this out almost a year later... an employee made a mistake and credited the amount back twice!! I don't do the finances, but the truck is in my name. Well, they never tried to contact me, they said they sent out a notice, but we moved so I never got it... and waited until NOW to send me a collection letter for the money I owe them. NOW?!? A year later? I just spent a half an hour on the phone with them and they didn't know what the collection letter was for. They had to "look it up" and I spent ten minutes on hold. I have no problem paying this money back if it was given to us in error. My problem is, that we are scheduled to go on vacation at the end of august and I can't afford the extra $470.00 right now to give it to them!! Couldn't they have waited a few more months? I mean geesh... they've waited this long... what's a few more months, right? This makes me so mad and I told the woman that because of someone's error at the bank, my credit has been suffering and no one decided to even contact me about it. I'm so angry, I could spit! The lady I spoke with was understanding and is going to talk to her boss about it when I send in the payment and hopefully get the negative strike taken away. I hate banks!

Thanks for letting me vent.
Something sounds bogus unless the bank has that money held somewhere for you. I would so not pay a dime on it until they show you proof where the money is at especially since all you had there was the loan. I hope it gets figured out and cleared off your credit report.
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:59 AM   #9
santa's surpriz
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 866

As a banker, after you get this resolved verify that your bank did not report you to Checksystems. It is a reporting agency that most banks use. It tracks things like unpaid balances, overdrafts, account abuse, etc. Although it is not credit bureau it does operate like one. The reports can stay on their for as long as 7-10 years. It may prevent you from opening accounts in the future. The reporting bank needs to be the one that requests for the report to be taken off. Having the reported item as "paid" is not enough. My bank will only open accounts for clients with no records on Checksystems. It is a risk factor that we choose not to take, I have turned away several prospects that had mistakes made on them. It does stink bc they would have made great clients, but we have our guidelines we must follow. IF an account is opened and their is a report or a report is made within the first 30 days of account opening back office will automatically close the account and mail a check to the client.

Sorry, this happened to you. I would contact the banking center that you both opened your account and the banking center that made the error, if it happens to be different. Make sure you talk to the manager. I am not really sure if you realize all the pickles that the bankers errors has put you in.
santa's surpriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:45 AM   #10
PinkRhombus
need...more...coffee
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,320

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfergirl602 View Post
This makes me so mad and I told the woman that because of someone's error at the bank, my credit has been suffering and no one decided to even contact me about it. I'm so angry, I could spit! The lady I spoke with was understanding and is going to talk to her boss about it when I send in the payment and hopefully get the negative strike taken away. I hate banks!
Yes, the bank shouldn't have let this go, but who was going over your bank statements each month? Didn't see the double credit back?

Bank statements need to be kept for I think 7 years for tax reasons...you threw them out already?
PinkRhombus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(NO NEW REQUESTS) Name Tag Graphics "RETIRED" BLANKS ON PAGE 128 POST 1914 ImTooExcitedToSleep Disney Cruise Line Forum 1989 08-26-2012 05:25 PM
The Bad Mothers' Handbook Pre-Trippy *Updated 13/10 with itinerary* wilma-bride UK Trip Reports Board 291 11-28-2009 01:04 PM
Disboutiquers Part 15 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew teresajoy Disney for Families 3673 08-31-2009 09:45 AM
customized maps! t_catt11 Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies 25 07-20-2009 08:50 PM
Favorite Quick Service disneyphile19 Disney Restaurants 33 07-14-2009 05:01 PM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.