Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2009, 12:28 PM   #1
katmiller79
Mouseketeer

Single moms taking kids to disney

Going to start saving my pennies and doing rewards programs out the wazoo to help save for our first trip(along w/ my working $). its been something has been denied to my kids in the past by the husband, and even bailed on from grandparents. I want to give this trip to them so Im planning on taking the kiddos for a week in october 2010. That way it covers a majority of birthdays (3 of them) and even halloween!
So Im wondering .. how does it work with 4 kids and 1 mom ? room wise ?On property ?
Any suggestions ?
Thanks!
Planning :D
katmiller79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:50 PM   #2
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

If your kids ages are current, you will be okay anywhere on property next year. The baby I guess will be two or so by then, and will not count towards the room maximum. You can request a pack n play in any of the resorts for the baby.

You might want to consider an All Star Family Suite for the kitchenette and two bathrooms, or a Port Orleans room with the extra trundle bed. The Fort Wilderness Cabin might also be fun and work well for your family. If money is tight, one value room will work with the pack n play, and honestly, kids are just happy to be there! We stayed at motels on international drive when I was child to go to Disney, and I thought it something special.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-29-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
jennipooh
Nobody can be uncheered with a balloon

I am a single mom of one so I cannot really speak to how the rooms work for a family your size. But like the pp said there are options. We have stayed at All Star Sports, CSR, and CBR. As far as rooms go, the size seems about the same. But the moderate rooms do measure a little larger. Also, I have heard that many people take advantage of the trundle beds at POR. I like the extra room for changing behind the curtain at the moderates, and I like having the fridge in the room at the moderates. But we make do very well without these when in the values.

The theming is great in all the Disney resorts. I really think the kids will have a great time in any resort you choose.

Sounds like money is an issue. Be sure to keep checking for deals and codes. I hope you have found mousesavers and mousemisers by now. Both are great resources. We will be staying at POFQ in August for $89/night with an AP rate.

Being a single parent has it's challenges. Financially speaking I find that I can take my son to Disney for about what I spend anywhere else we vacation. Plus, at Disney I can really relax and know that we are safe and that there will always be something for us to enjoy. Beyond the themeparks there are tons of water activities (from swimming to watercraft rental), Downtown Disney, the Boardwalk, mini golf, Campfire and a Movie at Fort Wilderness (movies are also shown at several other resorts now including All Star Music), ..... I could go on and on!

Good luck in saving for your trip. Don't give up on your goal and have a great time with your kids.

jennipooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:17 PM   #4
GraceLuvsWDW
DIS Veteran

I am a mother of one DD6 and you will have a great time! Your older kids are old enough to help you out with the younger one. Pop Century and the other values are great for the kids. And they are cheaper and October is a less expensive season so you will get good rates. Watch for deals starting next spring, you will probably find something.

Continue your planning, hoping, and dreaming of the Disney trip. I think it is very confidence building to take your children by yourself. Yes, there will times when you're overloaded or possibly at wits end. But it will be an incredible bonding experience for your family!

WDW Pop Mar 2010 * WDW POFQ June 2010 * DLR Aug 2010
WDW WL & WBC June 2011 * DLR Dec 2011
WDW WBC June 2012
DCL Magic March 2013 * Currently Planning: WDW Beach Club/Swan August 2013
GraceLuvsWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:12 PM   #5
Dopey97
Mouseketeer

Wink

I am a single mom to DD6 and I use to travel to Disney with her all the time by myself. I would look for savings and pay for the room and tickets in advance. By doing this it would allow me to save spending money for the trip and once I arrived at Disney, I knew that the major expenses were all ready paid for. About 2 years ago I started traveling with another single mom and this helped save on cost, because we would split the cost of the rooms. She is a good friend, so we didnít mind sharing a room with each other. If you have a good friend, this may also be an option for you. It is hard being a single mom and planning trips, but it can be done and the kids enjoy it. I have stayed at Pop Century and All Stars Movies; I have also stayed at the Caribbean Beach & AKV. I enjoyed all of the resorts I have stayed in. We will be heading to Disney next week and we will be staying in a Treehouse Villa at Saratoga Springs and then we will be there 10/31 for the Not So Scary Halloween Party and we are staying at the Bay Lake Tower. If you plan your trip around Halloween the Not So Scary Party will be a nice treat. You need a separate ticket, but it is a lot of fun.

I am sure you and your kids will have a great time in 2010.

Dopey97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:40 PM   #6
*pixie*dust*
DIS Veteran

I think it's great you want to take the kids! Save change, use coupons and plan, plan, plan! You will have a great trip.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:45 PM   #7
leilaandjamilsmom
Earning My Ears

I am 25 and a single mom, I am taking my son 4, and daughter 2 to disney July 28th!!!! We are so excited Disney for me was always a place to relax and have a great time with my kids, I took them last year also by myself though I was married at the time and it was great. I am also taking my niece 17, my sister and my mother. It gets hard sometimes taking care of them on my own but we look forward to a nice stress free trip this year as a family
leilaandjamilsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:37 PM   #8
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

I am a single mom to 3 but only 2 are going to Disney with me. The oldest is not interested and is planning his graduation trip to Universal Studios instead. Anyway, I get my sister to go with me as mine are 5 years apart and there are some rides I cannot ride on. I love going to Disney and we have turned to saving change in a big Coke Bottle bank. The kids love it and now look for change everywhere. They are up to over $500 just from January to date so not bad. We are heading to Disney in October.
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:30 AM   #9
lurkernj
DIS Veteran

In looking at the ages of your kids, your older three will all be considered "adults" next year. I would plan to go during free dining (assuming they have it again), that's a savings of $160 per day and no guilt about spending money on expensive meals.
lurkernj is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: