Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2009, 12:10 AM   #136
cjackearl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydog View Post
YAY! I did it! Caught up and enjoyed every page! What great posts on your first day! I am excited to try Beach Club this December! Your day seemed to start and end so nicely! A little of this and that and so many smiles! Great pictures! great story so far!
Thank you Happy and Welcome! I'm glad you made it over. You will love, love, love the BC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyvirg View Post
Great update! Sorry I'm a little slow here...

I love the pics of your kids in the shark. What's his name? I always forget. Somehow, we managed to go right by him...never saw the guy when we were there.

I'm ready fro the next installment!
No worries. The shark's name is Bruce. He was in the room, alcove whatever next to the one with the seahorses and eels and Nemo fish. Next update coming up shortly.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:16 AM   #137
MeMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjackearl View Post

Oh my goodness, they were so excited! They were pulling things out and oohing and ahhing and smiling and talking all at the same time and it did my heart good to see my children, whom this trip was all about, so happy.

Thanks for starting my morning off with a smile!
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-11-2009, 08:05 AM   #138
cjackearl
DIS Veteran

Aw, glad I induced a smile.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:08 AM   #139
cjackearl
DIS Veteran

Animal Kingdom

At 6:30 I woke up and got myself dressed before the phone rang at 6:45. I answered it and put it on speaker phone so that the whole crew could hear Stitch and Mickey telling them to wake up. I don’t think the kids ever really heard the wake up call. Every morning that we got one I’d answer it and yell for everyone to get up NOW so that they could hear Mickey and Stitch, but those kids slept hard in Disney. Everyone else got up, had some cereal and fruit in the room and made it down to the bus stop by 7:35 and at AK by 8:20.

Look how bright eyed and bushy tailed they are!

Yep, that's a yawn.

Everyone knew “the plan”, which was that George and Madeline would go ahead, get FP for EE, ride it, and then meet Amelia, Ian and myself in Dinoland. We were close to the front of the crowd at the turnstiles. The kids sat on the ground and I reached into my bag to pull out our KTTW cards. One, two, three, four….four….four. Houston, we have a problem. I searched through my bag a little, but it was very organized and I just knew it wasn’t with us. The last time we entered our room I thought it must have gotten left on the dresser. Since it was Amelia’s card that was missing, I took her with me to guest services while George waited in line with Madeline and Ian. I was very impressed with how friendly and efficient the CM at guest services was and we walked away with a brand new key card in a matter of minutes. Crisis averted, it was back to sitting in the sun and waiting for park opening. As an aside, the prodigal key was found later sitting on a nightstand.

Warning: fans and hair do NOT mix!

George and Madeline went ahead after we got through the turnstiles while I stopped to rent a stroller with the other two kids and we followed the masses to where the opening show was put on. When the rope dropped, the younger two and I mosied toward Dinoland while the other two race walked to their mountain top adventure. I realized here that I should have checked my times guide more closely, because the Boneyard didn't open until 10:00, so we hopped on Triceratops Spin for a couple of rides in a row.

The kids and I then wondered around Dinoland until George and Madeline met us. They LOVED Expedition Everest and had used all of our tickets to get FPs, so they could ride twice later. George and the girls next rode Primevil Whirl. I was surprised that Amelia wanted to try this one, but glad that she was pushing herself a little. Guess what Ian and I did? Yep. Triceratops Spin for a third time. Ian was tempted by the midway type games, but I was a mean mom and said no, but I did say yes to the photo booth.

When George and the girls got off Primevil Whirl, Amelia declared it FUN!

By this time it was nearly 10:00 so George took Ian to the Boneyard while the girls and I rode Dinosaur. I have to say, I thought Dinosaur was well done and fun, but that Carnotaur is quite intimidating. Poor Amelia hated this one. She said her legs were shaking when she got off.

The next ride on our itinerary was Kali River Rapids, but the line was too long, so we got FP for later and went to find some lunch. I'd read good reviews of Flame Tree Barbeque and wanted to try it, but ever since our last trip the girls have been dreaming about giant turkey legs. We decided to order food at Flame Tree, find a spot to eat and then I'd go with the girls to seek out their hearts' lunch desire.

I ordered the 1/2 chicken meal. The rub was good as was the coleslaw. The beans were icky.

The girls each insisted on their own. You can imagine how much we threw away.

I think this is one of the best kids meal deals on property. It comes with TWO chicken legs, so 2 lighter eaters could easily share.

I don't have a picture and can't remember what George had. It might have been gone by the time I got the camera out.

It was time to ride some rapids, so George ran to Kilimanjaro Safaris to get FP and we all met up outside of Kali River Rapids.

Continued in Next Post..

Last edited by cjackearl; 07-11-2009 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:28 AM   #140
cjackearl
DIS Veteran

It was time for some river riding! Ian loved walking up to the height requirement sign to show us that he was indeed big enough to ride and positively strutted when the CM gave him a special wrist band indicating he would get a special seat. We all enjoyed our ride and George and I got soaked, like wring out your pants soaked. Good thing it was so hot. I would never wait in a long line for this, though, because the ride is short, like look at each other and say, "That's it?" short. FP is the way to go!

This is how wet George and I got.

TMI WARNING

Having wet shorts on for an extended time combined with lots of walking and chubby thighs can lead to some unpleasant side effects. My thighs thanked me the next day for bringing chafing cream.

Time for an Asian adventure on the Maharaja Jungle Trek.

We all thought the bats were fascinating.

You don't have to warn me twice!

I got a good shot of this guy.

But not of this guy.

Ahh, refreshing!

I may or may not have mentioned to the girls at this point that if they'd taken thier mother's advice and put their hair up, they might not be quite as hot. Don't you hate it when people say I told you so.

Ian was asking for a pretzel at this point, so we decided to get some snacks before seeing It's Tough to Be a Bug.

Ian got his pretzel, George and Amelia bought pineapple bars and Madeline had a chocolate ice cream bar.

Soon, we were meandering through the Tree of Life to see Flik. We enjoyed picking out the animals carved into the tree. We may have been shouting animal names, so if you were near us in line, I apologize. I thought the show was hilarious, but Ian was not a fan. He didn't lose it, but when the spiders came down from the ceiling, I thought he might.

Our FP window had now opened up for our safari through the wild African savannah, so we hightailed it over to Africa. On the way, my little bug traumatized boy fell asleep in his stroller so I picked him up and held him on the safari. He did wake up about half way through.

After the safari, we headed to Camp Mickey Minnie to see the 3:30 performance of my favorite show on Disney property, Festival of the Lion King! We were seated in the elephant section and we clearly made the best animal noises. I took a couple of pictures which didn't come out. This show gives me goose bumps and brings tears to my eyes, its so amazing.

And now it was time for me to fulfill a promise I'd made to Amelia earlier in the day: We could go shopping! She had seen a bracelet and a pin at some carts or kiosks that morning and I told her we'd be back later. Now it was later, so while George and Madeline treked back to Asia to challenge the Yeti 2 more times with their FPs collected that morning, Amelia, Ian and I began searching for her treasures. After finally tracking them down and doing a little shopping of my own, we met back up with George and Madeline. It was time to leave Animal Kingdom for the Animal Kingdom Lodge and our dinner reservation at Sanaa! Would we be impressed?

Next Post: Pictures of our AK shopping and a review of Sanaa
Old 07-11-2009, 10:51 AM   #141
MinnieNurse
DIS Veteran

Great update. I really love the photo booth pics. I am going to have to track this down I think DS would love to do this.

I love AK and cant wait to see everything. I can tell it was really hot but glad to see it was tolerable. It was 107 here in Texas yesterday so I am not sure we will know the difference.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:38 AM   #142
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

Ian's yawn is too cute and whew on the replaced KTTW card! I wondered if my DS4 would be OK to ride Dinosaur next month but I'm thinking no. He too gets freaked out over Its Tough to be a Bug so I think that mean Dino would scar him for life!

My goodness that was a lot of food at lunchtime! LOL at the TMI tip - duly noted! Festival of the Lion King is one of our highlites at AK and I think shopping at every park is mandatory, isn't it?

Looking forward to more!
Old 07-11-2009, 11:49 AM   #143
Sunset Cliffs
DIS Veteran

Wow! You guys know how to cover a lot of ground in a short amount of time! I'm glad you liked Flame Tree. Todd loves their BBQ sauce there. We also really like FOTLK. We always question whether to go or not, and then we go....and then we are so happy that we went. So fun!
Old 07-11-2009, 12:27 PM   #144
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Wow!! You guys got alot done!! Love all the pics!! There is so much to explore at AK. (one of the best things about that park) We are soooo hoping to try a Turkey leg when we go in August....but...they look huge!!! We missed FOTLK on our last trip but are determined to watch it when we go back. After reading your update I'm even more excited to see it!!

Old 07-11-2009, 12:33 PM   #145
wigdoutdismom
DIS Veteran

We saw FOTLK for the first time this past trip, it is amazing! I was thinking why have we never done this before??
Old 07-11-2009, 12:56 PM   #146
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!

Awww what a great Animal Kingdom day!!! I adore EE so glad your gang (or part of them) also enjoyed the ride!!!!

Flame Tree BBQ does look really really good!

The picture of Ian sleeping with you is just adorable!!!!

Got to love a girl who loves to shop!!!!!

My Magical Trips to Disney:6/2012,1/2012,10/2011, 6/2011, 5/2011, 1/2011, 5/2010, 1/2010, 10/2009, 5/2009,
1/2009, 3/2007, 5/2005 , 10/1992: First Trip to Disney (Thanks Dad!)
Old 07-11-2009, 01:01 PM   #147
pixleyyy
DIS Veteran

Fabulous! I love your rundown and all the pics. Thanks for sharing them with us!
Old 07-11-2009, 04:24 PM   #148
cjackearl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieNurse View Post
Great update. I really love the photo booth pics. I am going to have to track this down I think DS would love to do this.

I love AK and cant wait to see everything. I can tell it was really hot but glad to see it was tolerable. It was 107 here in Texas yesterday so I am not sure we will know the difference.
The photo booth is right next to the exit for Primevil Whirl. 107! Only 3 more weeks, girl! I'm so excited for you!!! How's your son enjoying his chocolate treasure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_Mom View Post
Ian's yawn is too cute and whew on the replaced KTTW card! I wondered if my DS4 would be OK to ride Dinosaur next month but I'm thinking no. He too gets freaked out over Its Tough to be a Bug so I think that mean Dino would scar him for life!

Ian wasn't tall enough any way, but he would NOT have been a fan! We all thought It's Tough to be a Bug was funny in '05, so I thought Ian would be just fine. Um, no.

My goodness that was a lot of food at lunchtime! LOL at the TMI tip - duly noted! Festival of the Lion King is one of our highlites at AK and I think shopping at every park is mandatory, isn't it?
Yes, the servings at Flame Tree are huge. We could have easily shared, because lots of chicken and turkey got thrown away. I actually didn't do much shopping at any other park but AK, but we hit up Downtown Disney twice.

Looking forward to more!
I've got a bonus update to post tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset Cliffs View Post
Wow! You guys know how to cover a lot of ground in a short amount of time! I'm glad you liked Flame Tree. Todd loves their BBQ sauce there. We also really like FOTLK. We always question whether to go or not, and then we go....and then we are so happy that we went. So fun!
TGM really came through for us. His advice worked well for our family. FOTLK is just amazing. Not to be missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angies1274 View Post
Wow!! You guys got alot done!! Love all the pics!! There is so much to explore at AK. (one of the best things about that park) We are soooo hoping to try a Turkey leg when we go in August....but...they look huge!!! We missed FOTLK on our last trip but are determined to watch it when we go back. After reading your update I'm even more excited to see it!!
I agree! So much to explore. I would have loved to just wander and take in all of the details. The turkey legs ARE huge!! In '05 we just got one to split between 4 of us, so share if your family is willing. I guess my girls wanted the Bam Bam experience.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:30 PM   #149
cjackearl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigdoutdismom View Post
We saw FOTLK for the first time this past trip, it is amazing! I was thinking why have we never done this before??
Sometimes the shows are hard to fit in, but FOTLK is so worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjolt View Post
Awww what a great Animal Kingdom day!!! I adore EE so glad your gang (or part of them) also enjoyed the ride!!!!

Flame Tree BBQ does look really really good!

The picture of Ian sleeping with you is just adorable!!!!

Got to love a girl who loves to shop!!!!!
Madeline was very proud of getting to ride EE 3 times! Amelia is my shopper and she had her eye on things she wanted to buy all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixleyyy View Post
Fabulous! I love your rundown and all the pics. Thanks for sharing them with us!
Thank you. I sometimes wonder if I'm giving too much detail, but I love reading all of the details of other people's reports.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:00 PM   #150
Lady Lallie
DIS Veteran

I just love the photobooth pictures, they are so cute!

Ian looks so cute snoozing on the safari! Poor tuckered out kiddo.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: