Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
STLDisney_Freak
I don't have a short attention span, I just.....OH look a kitty! Cats are like potato chips you can't have just one! Chihauhuas, Shih Tzus and Pugs! Oh My!

Dance makeup...Where should I buy from???

Recital was today for both my daughters. My daughters have been in dance for a few years and they are still kinda on the young side so I've been going a little lighter than most of the other moms on the make up. I've decided that for next year that maybe we will actually look like a dancer for once. LOL Anyway, enough of my ramblings...Where is a good place to buy some dance makeup that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Dance is expense...Trust me I KNOW that..LMAO! So with spending money on shoes, outfits, tickets, classes...I don't wanna spend a whole whole lot on makeup. Opinions on where I should look??? Would Avon's makeup be dark enough on stage?

Cruises sailed: 12/08 Magic - Western, 09/10 Wonder - DVC Member, 10/11 Dream - Bahamas, 05/13 Fantasy - Western, 03/14 -RC Brilliance of the Seas - STEELERS cruise! 10/14 - Wonder Double Dip
STLDisney_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:11 PM   #2
Bella the Ball 360
Keyboarding is not my thing excuse typos.
I am going to have to sew "whoopie pie" pockets on the hips of my jeans

google theatrical make up ....or RCMA which is a make up brand as well as Make UP Forever available at Sephora.
Register to remove

Old 06-29-2009, 12:18 AM   #3
Bunless
Mouseketeer

I like Max Factor (especially the pancake foundation).
It was made for stage and film, so it works great on dance.
I have a friend who is a makeup artist who swears by Remmel for video shoots, and the lighting needs are similar for dance.

December '06 Disneyland http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ferrerid=93883
Fall '07 Disneyland http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1617056
February '08 Wilderness Lodge http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ferrerid=93883
January '09 Disneyland http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2075224
February/March '09 Grand Californian http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2134228
October 2009 Grand Californian, January 2010 Eastern Caribbean/Vero Beach, February 2011 Old Key West, October 2011 Food and Wine/Old Key West, February 2012 Aulani, July 2012 Alaska Cruise,
December 2012 Saratoga Springs, February 2013, Saratoga Springs, July 2013 Mediterranean Cruise
Bunless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:26 AM   #4
Nancy
I get all twitterpatted when he does that!
I eat hot dogs from both ends
Oh Mom, that's so tacky..we live in an upscale area
SHH, don't tell anyone but I'm on the computer

My girls used to do competitive dance and we never bought special makeup. I just used my regular stuff and with the blush and shadows went a little heavier. The only thing we bought was the lipstick because my colors were too light for stage and the owner of the studio wanted everyone to have the same color lips.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:37 AM   #5
redrosesix
DIS Veteran

I have a little dancer too (plus she does baton twirling, so lots of expenses there) I agree with you on going light on the make-up when they're younger -- we do lipstick with lip gloss, blush, eye make-up and mascara.

I find it is not a question of the make-up being dark enough, but staying on. Not sure about yours, but mine is in 3 different dance classes and has a solo, so hers needs to stay on through 4 dances. Most eye-shadows won't stay put, but we've had great luck with Avon waterproof mascaras, and some of their lipsticks and lip glosses(which gets re-applied before every number anyway). they also have some nice compact brush sets which really help with the application.

For eyes, we swear by the cheerleader make-up -- it sort of glues on, but washes off with water. I'd rather do one stripe of glittery eyeshadow than make up her whole eyelid. You can choose just one or 2 colours -- those and the adhesive will last a long time. We have some from the company at this link:
http://www.blingspiritglitter.com/
But I find they're all pretty interchangeable.

The Mac products are great, too, but a bit pricey for us since we need to do several costume and make-up changes for baton competitions.

Feb. 2008 All Star Music Feb. 2009 All Star Music Feb. 2010 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2011 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2012 Pop Pop Pop and All Star Music Feb. 2013 AoA, ASMusic and off-site with our team Feb. 2014 ASMusic and Cypress Pointe Resort Feb. 2015 Cypress Pointe Resort, US Cabana Bay and All Stars for Twirlmania
redrosesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:52 AM   #6
cepmom
Mine are painted too
My kids call me a "trash picker"
Who wouldn't choose Chachi over a skunk?
I hate finding burning butts in my mulch!

my girls have been dancing for 11 years...I also buy regular makeup from CVS etc and just go a little heavier.
*lots of offsite trips growing up**3/1995 offsite**11/2002 Wilderness Lodge**8/2005 Polynesian~4 night DCL~Royal Pacific**8/2006 10th anniversary 3 night DCL**1/2007 SURPRISE 7 night Western DCL**2/2007 Caribbean Beach~Nationals Competition**8/2007 Girls Only Trip~Pop Century**8/2008 Port Orleans Riverside**12/2008 DH's Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century**9/2009 My Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century* *8/2010 California and Disneyland!*5/2011 Beach Club**6/2012 Coronado Springs mother/daughter graduation trip **8/2012 POFQ* 1/2014 Disney Marathon Weekend Old Key West*
2/2014 Princess 1/2 Marathon
*8/2014 Disneyland 1/2 MarathonGoing Coast to Coast
cepmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:47 AM   #7
Creekermom
Mouseketeer

If I may share, my daughter (6) dances competitively as well as for recreation we want uniformity so we use eye bling and glitter on the eyes, mascara, eyeliner,blush and lipstick, the colors are "much" darker than the average woman would wear but under the stage lights it looks perfect otherwise it looks like she has too much on.. but once again, we call it "stage makeup" The only thing I don't put on her is foundation, but I do use a finishing powder.

Many of the mom's purchased a certain colors from a Mary Kay consultant and others also went to Walgreen's for some of the similar items.

I would personally consult your dance instructor or the owner of the studio.

I will share that when my daughter was 3 & 4 we used much lighter colors but when you get into competitions it needs to stay on all day without messing up.

šoš "SURPRISE" December 2012 WDW Trip (Thanks to my wonderful husband!) šoš
WDW
12/2011 & MVMCP~12/2010 & MVMCP ~9/2009~9/2007~
Creekermom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: