Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2009, 02:06 PM   #1
wdwmoxie
Mouseketeer

Exclamation Best Moderate for bus service, fun for dS 14, drinks for us.

If you had to select from the following Moderate WDW resorts where would you stay and why?

We are a early 40's couple with son 14 in tow visiting for 6 nights on 8/29. We intend on spending most of our time in the parks from morning to night. Convenience to bus system is very important. Getting a relaxing drink at night is not a deal breaker but it would be nice. Live music would be great. A nice restaurant would be nice and definately counter service with take out would be great too.

Fun for the 14 year old is important (character/image/etc).

-CSR Cornado Springs
-CBR Caribbean Beach
-POR Port Orleans Riverside
-POFQ Port Orleans French Quarter

- POP Century (budget) This was our original choice but now we have the opportunity to get the Moderate package for only $200 more for the week.

Last edited by wdwmoxie; 06-28-2009 at 09:20 PM. Reason: refine the title...
wdwmoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 03:26 PM   #2
Mike in NC
Earning My Ears

We really have no basis for comparison as we have only stayed at the POR, although we like it so well that we book there every time that we stay at a moderate. We use to drive or rent a car, but we've found that, during low to moderate crowd level periods, we don't need one. The bus service has always worked well for us and the food court has a wide variety of selections. When we have time to kill, we enjoy taking the boat from the resort to DTD.

The rooms are plenty large enough for three and are well appointed. Room safe, coffey maker, iron and board and mini-fridge are included. The pool on Old Man Island is large, centrally located and themed like an old swimming hole. There are also several smaller pools scattered around the resort.

I just realized that I haven't updated my bio for quite a while. We've stayed at POR three more times since Feb. O7.

Regardless where you stay, I know that you'll have a great time.

Day tripper from St. Pete 71-73
Polynesian '74
Contemporary '79
Off grounds '81
Dolphin '95
WL '96
Beach Club '96
WL '97
WL '98
WL '99
AKL '01
Swan '02
Dolphin '03
POR '04
AKL & Contemporary '05
Looking forward to: POR - Sep. '06
WL - Feb. '07
Mike in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-28-2009, 05:39 PM   #3
Magalex
DIS Veteran

Yes I would agree POR would be great for your family. We stayed at POFQ and visited POR. Loved POFQ but we are looking forward to staying at POR
Magalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:14 PM   #4
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at 3 of them - CBR, POFQ, and CSR. We really like CBR. It is very peaceful, lush, beautiful, tropical, and relaxing, yet very family friendly. The bus service is the best! CBR is very centrally located on Disney property making for very quick bus rides to all parks plus DTD - once leaving the resort it takes 3 minutes to get to DHS, 5 to Epcot, 9 to DTD, and 11 to MK and AK. On our last stay 90% of our waits for a bus were under 5 minutes. It was great! The new pool is very cool with zero entry and 2 slides - one is shorter & open and the other is longer & enclosed.

Good luck deciding! Have a wonderful trip!
Momof2Disneyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:18 PM   #5
daisypaisyduck
Mouseketeer

Mom of 2 Boys,
Everytime I read your posts I am reassured that CBR was the right choice for us. Can't wait to check it out in September!
daisypaisyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:23 PM   #6
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisypaisyduck View Post
Mom of 2 Boys,
Everytime I read your posts I am reassured that CBR was the right choice for us. Can't wait to check it out in September!
Glad to help! Lucky you getting to go in 3 months!! Have a great trip!
Momof2Disneyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:28 PM   #7
kaffinito
Grant me the Serenity to Accept the Reservations I Cannot Change
Lock yourself in there for a few minutes and sing a happy song until the angry gerbils in your head stop stomping on your brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in NC View Post
We really have no basis for comparison as we have only stayed at the POR, although we like it so well that we book there every time that we stay at a moderate. We use to drive or rent a car, but we've found that, during low to moderate crowd level periods, we don't need one. The bus service has always worked well for us and the food court has a wide variety of selections. When we have time to kill, we enjoy taking the boat from the resort to DTD.

The rooms are plenty large enough for three and are well appointed. Room safe, coffey maker, iron and board and mini-fridge are included. The pool on Old Man Island is large, centrally located and themed like an old swimming hole. There are also several smaller pools scattered around the resort.

I just realized that I haven't updated my bio for quite a while. We've stayed at POR three more times since Feb. O7.

Regardless where you stay, I know that you'll have a great time.
I agree with Mike in NC, POR is a great place to stay with a teenager mostly due to the easy access to DTD (Disney Quest is there and he might like it), and for the food.

I would also like to put a nod in for CSR too. It's more adult, and I think a teenager would like it there as well. Since it has queen beds and deluxe amenities, it might make for a little more special trip.

Happy Planning!

kaffinito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:34 PM   #8
KatMark
DIS Veteran

I agree with kaffinito although I would pick CSR first and then POR. Our boys loved CSR when they used to travel with us. It has the largest hot tub of all the moderates, a sand volleyball court, fitness center/spa and now queen beds.
KatMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:14 PM   #9
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

Personally, I would eliminate POFQ from your list if the 14 year old has any interest in swimming. The pool area is lovely, but the slide is geared toward younger kids.

SmallWorld71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:38 PM   #10
a1tinkfans
Spreading Some Pixie Dust Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwmoxie View Post
If you had to select from the following Moderate WDW resorts where would you stay and why?

We are a early 40's couple with son 14 in tow visiting for 6 nights on 8/29. We intend on spending most of our time in the parks from morning to night. Convenience to bus system is very important. Getting a relaxing drink at night is not a deal breaker but it would be nice.

Fun for the 14 year old is important (character/image/etc).

- Cornado Springs
- Caribbean Beach
- Port Orleans Riverside
- Port Orleans French Quarter

- POP Century (budget)

We LOVE por, similar aged child (15), boy. We like the Boat to DTD, the bar (for us) the food court is great, the MAIN pool and the addition of the quiet ones can't be beat, FREE piano guy BOB interactive show (check schedule) good arcade, fun rentals, really just has everything, including the buses you mentioned as well. That having been said we always request AB section 14/19/18 as thats what we like.....my ds really enjoys it and GREAT for DTD and DIsney quest, a must do for your ds.

Wherever you choose, have a great time!!!
Old 06-28-2009, 08:39 PM   #11
a1tinkfans
Spreading Some Pixie Dust Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallWorld71 View Post
Personally, I would eliminate POFQ from your list if the 14 year old has any interest in swimming. The pool area is lovely, but the slide is geared toward younger kids.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:53 PM   #12
jdvm
Purple Van Driver

DISboards Approved Advertiser

I'd vote for French Quarter
j

www.ownerslocker.com
the purple place for storing your vacation stuff
jdvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:07 AM   #13
LUVDZNY2008
DIS Veteran

I would look into CSR, it has a nice pool area with a slide. The rooms now have queen size beds and flat screen tv's. We stayed there twice, and never had any problems with bus service.

BWV-2012, AKL-2010,2009, CSR-2008,2006 BC-2007,ASMo-2005, POR-2004, GF-1990 & many trips off property
LUVDZNY2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:14 AM   #14
jerseygirl81
DIS Veteran

We stayed at CSR twice and loved it. My youngest DS was 14 & 15 on those stays. I see you mentioned the Pop for budget and as much as we enjoyed our stays there we felt it was more enjoyable at a mod, my DS found a few teenagers to hang out with when we were at the main the Pop seemed to have more younger families. DS plays football so he really like having the fitness center since he was missing practice. DH loved the hot tub, I love the theming and the lush landscaping and the pretty fountains and we like the pepper market especially on the dining plan. The snack/drink bar (Siestas ?) was convenient for lunch and drinks when taking a break at the main pool. There is also Cafe Rix for drinks I hav'nt been there but someone else could tell you more. We always rent a car no matter where we stay so we hav'nt used the transportation, but I'm told it's the first or one of the first bus stops when you come out of the parks, and they don't share buses like POR and POFQ. The rooms are newly refurbed with Queen beds and flat screen tvs. Enjoy your trip we went the same time you are going the past 2 years. Linda
Pop Dec 09
CBR Nov 11
CSR Aug 12
POR Nov 13
Wyndham Bonnet Creek Aug 14
jerseygirl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:17 AM   #15
lustergirl
DIS Veteran

I have only stayed at CSR so I guess my opinion is biased. I enjoyed the resort and I hope your son will enjoy the pools. They have great margaritas there as well.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: