Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
disneyhand
DIS Veteran

How do you make your potato salad?

I've been assigned potato salad for a 4th of July bbq. I rarely make it myself as my immediate family won't eat it. So sometimes I just buy a little container and that's ok, but I wanted to make it this time.
When I've made it in the past I just tried to do my Mom's recipe from memory. She never measured, but I know what she used. It comes out ok, but not great. If you go to enough trouble to maker it from scratch, don't you think it should be great?
The main thing was that my Mom used miracle whip and I don't think I want that. I'd like to try something else. I figured I'd get some great ideas here. Anyone want to share their secret ingredients?
Thanks!
disneyhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:54 AM   #2
MazdaUK
Curse this time difference!
You show me yours I'll show you mine!
Now I just want to go home and spread my bits of paper about

My potato salad always goes very quickly, so I tend to make about 3lb of potatoes and if I'm lucky there's a serving left for me the next day

I wash (but don't peel) the potatoes, halve them or quarter if they're really big (bigger than about 2" in any direction) , put in pan of salted water and bring to boil. Boil for 15-20 mins until they feel soft when you poke them with the tip of a knife (don't test too many too often as it lets water into the middles).
Drain immediately - make sure all the water has gone - and plop into whatever bowl you're using (I use Tupperware bowls so i can put lids on ).
Chop up a whole bunch of spring onions (we generally get about 8-10 in a bunch depending on thickness) including most of the green parts (not any really tough bits) and throw into the bowl. Snip a good handful of fresh chives over the bowl as well (chives grow easily - don't worry if they die at the end of summer, they'll come right back in spring. Don't let them flower til BBQ season is over!)
Add salt and ground black pepper, then take a jar of mayo (I use low fat) and dollop a couple of big spoonfuls into the bowl (you don't need to wait for the potatoes to cool - it mixes easier if they're warm). Mix gently (I use silicon spatulas), adding more mayo if needed until the potatoes are lightly coated. Taste a bit and adjust seasoning.

I make this in the morning and put it in the fridge s son as its cold enough - once mixed you can stand the bowl in a bigger bowl with cold water to chill.
DLP Disney Hotel New York May 2003
Disneyland - 2 days visit while staying at Sheraton Anaheim on honeymoon September 1990
MazdaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-29-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
piratesmate
Drah-gun! I don't do that tongue thing!
I actually used to be smart...before I had kids & brain damage

It's been so long since I made potato salad I'm not sure I'd remember everything that went into the dressing, but I always used Miracle Whip. I don't care for it with regular mayo. I do remember that I could never get mine to taste like my mother's and was very disappointed in it many times...until she finally told me that I needed to cook an egg with the potatoes. (I was never fond of hard-boiled egg in potato salad so I was skipping that.) I was amazed that it made that much of a difference! LOL But seriously that was all that was missing & it came out great after that.

When you said you didn't want to use Miracle Whip, did you mean you'd like a different dressing altogether or just that you want to use mayo instead? I have recipes with bottled Italian or Ranch dressing as well as German-style potato salad with vinegar & bacon drippings. Were you thinking of something like that?
Old 06-29-2009, 01:15 PM   #4
MazdaUK
Curse this time difference!
You show me yours I'll show you mine!
Now I just want to go home and spread my bits of paper about

I used to do it with creme fraiche and plain yoghurt, but it was a bit bland.

Its cooking the potatoes is the most important - my DSis overcooked hers (or left them undrained) and it was yuck! Really watery
DLP Disney Hotel New York May 2003
Disneyland - 2 days visit while staying at Sheraton Anaheim on honeymoon September 1990
MazdaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:49 PM   #5
PamCo88
Finally going Back!!

Ours includes potato, regular mayo, chopped onion, hard boiled eggs, salt and pepper to taste. It tastes better after overnight in the fridge.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:02 PM   #6
RMAMom
DIS Veteran

I love this recipe from Ina Garten, It's always a hit. I think she is heavy on the salt though so I always use half of what she recomends.

Ingredients

3 pounds small red potatoes
Kosher salt
1 cup good mayonnaise
1/4 cup buttermilk, milk, or white wine
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
1/2 cup chopped fresh dill
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped red onion

Directions
Place the potatoes and 2 tablespoons of salt in a large pot of water. Bring the water to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until the potatoes are barely tender when pierced with a knife. Drain the potatoes in a colander, then place the colander with the potatoes over the empty pot and cover with a clean, dry kitchen towel. Allow the potatoes to steam for 15 to 20 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, buttermilk, Dijon mustard, whole-grain mustard, dill, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Set aside. When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut them into quarters or halves, depending on their size. Place the cut potatoes in a large bowl. While the potatoes are still warm, pour enough dressing over them to moisten. (As the salad sits, you may need to add more dressing.) Add the celery and red onion, 2 teaspoons of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Toss well, cover, and refrigerate for a few hours to allow the flavors to blend. Serve cold or at room temperature.

RMAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:18 AM   #7
disneyhand
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesmate View Post
It's been so long since I made potato salad I'm not sure I'd remember everything that went into the dressing, but I always used Miracle Whip. I don't care for it with regular mayo. I do remember that I could never get mine to taste like my mother's and was very disappointed in it many times...until she finally told me that I needed to cook an egg with the potatoes. (I was never fond of hard-boiled egg in potato salad so I was skipping that.) I was amazed that it made that much of a difference! LOL But seriously that was all that was missing & it came out great after that.
I'll try the egg trick, thanks!
When you said you didn't want to use Miracle Whip, did you mean you'd like a different dressing altogether or just that you want to use mayo instead? I have recipes with bottled Italian or Ranch dressing as well as German-style potato salad with vinegar & bacon drippings. Were you thinking of something like that?
I just meant mine with miracle whip didn't come out that great before and I know our friend that requested potato salad doesn't like mw. I'm really open to all ideas though. Before I posted I was thinking maybe ranch dressing w/ real bacon bits, but thought I should ask for advice since I want it to be great! Thanks!

Last edited by disneyhand; 06-30-2009 at 01:29 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:22 AM   #8
disneyhand
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamCo88 View Post
Ours includes potato, regular mayo, chopped onion, hard boiled eggs, salt and pepper to taste. It tastes better after overnight in the fridge.
I do love eggs in potato salad, thanks!
Old 06-30-2009, 01:25 AM   #9
disneyhand
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaUK View Post
My potato salad always goes very quickly, so I tend to make about 3lb of potatoes and if I'm lucky there's a serving left for me the next day

I wash (but don't peel) the potatoes, halve them or quarter if they're really big (bigger than about 2" in any direction) , put in pan of salted water and bring to boil. Boil for 15-20 mins until they feel soft when you poke them with the tip of a knife (don't test too many too often as it lets water into the middles).
Drain immediately - make sure all the water has gone - and plop into whatever bowl you're using (I use Tupperware bowls so i can put lids on ).
Chop up a whole bunch of spring onions (we generally get about 8-10 in a bunch depending on thickness) including most of the green parts (not any really tough bits) and throw into the bowl. Snip a good handful of fresh chives over the bowl as well (chives grow easily - don't worry if they die at the end of summer, they'll come right back in spring. Don't let them flower til BBQ season is over!)
Add salt and ground black pepper, then take a jar of mayo (I use low fat) and dollop a couple of big spoonfuls into the bowl (you don't need to wait for the potatoes to cool - it mixes easier if they're warm). Mix gently (I use silicon spatulas), adding more mayo if needed until the potatoes are lightly coated. Taste a bit and adjust seasoning.

I make this in the morning and put it in the fridge s son as its cold enough - once mixed you can stand the bowl in a bigger bowl with cold water to chill.
Sounds good and the bowl of cold water is a great idea, thanks!
Old 06-30-2009, 01:27 AM   #10
disneyhand
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMAMom View Post
I love this recipe from Ina Garten, It's always a hit. I think she is heavy on the salt though so I always use half of what she recomends.

Ingredients

3 pounds small red potatoes
Kosher salt
1 cup good mayonnaise
1/4 cup buttermilk, milk, or white wine
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
1/2 cup chopped fresh dill
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped red onion

Directions
Place the potatoes and 2 tablespoons of salt in a large pot of water. Bring the water to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until the potatoes are barely tender when pierced with a knife. Drain the potatoes in a colander, then place the colander with the potatoes over the empty pot and cover with a clean, dry kitchen towel. Allow the potatoes to steam for 15 to 20 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, buttermilk, Dijon mustard, whole-grain mustard, dill, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Set aside. When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut them into quarters or halves, depending on their size. Place the cut potatoes in a large bowl. While the potatoes are still warm, pour enough dressing over them to moisten. (As the salad sits, you may need to add more dressing.) Add the celery and red onion, 2 teaspoons of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Toss well, cover, and refrigerate for a few hours to allow the flavors to blend. Serve cold or at room temperature.
Yummy, sounds good. Now I'm totally craving potato salad! Thanks!
Old 06-30-2009, 10:10 AM   #11
retiredkid
Your shots make me want to try again at night
This is gonna be good I can tell

Potatoes, Miracle Whip with a dash of yellow mustard, green onion, hard boiled eggs.
Garnish with either paprika or thinly sliced radishes. YUMM-O
Old 07-04-2009, 12:40 AM   #12
VickiV
DIS Veteran

My recipe is the same as my Mom's, although she always said mine was better than hers.

Diced potatoes, chopped hard boiled eggs, diced dill pickles (homemade is the best), chopped onion is optional (I like it best with onions, but most of my immediate family are not onion lovers)

Dressing:

Miracle Whip, some mustard, some pickle juice, some milk to thin it a bit, paprika, salt and pepper

I make a lot so I have some leftovers.

VickiV
VickiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 05:03 AM   #13
dyna
DIS Veteran

I HATE chopped potatos in tater salad or chunks mom always used a grinder chopper thingy hand cranked I do mine that way too. tater pieces comes out like course cole slaw. Usually boil about as many eggs as I have taters cook taters in skins let them cool till cool enough to handle peel taters an eggs chop in the chopper thingy add sweet pickles (homemade 11 day pickles is best) chop the pickles in the chopper. onion goes thru the chopper too bit of the pickle juice goes in along with miracle whip or mayo which ever I happen to have the most of sometimes it's a mixture of both.

ONLY tater salad I'll touch is either mine or moms.
dyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #14
disneyhand
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone for all the great tips! I actually ended up making macaroni salad (long story), but using your tips and advice for potato salad
it turned out delicious! I made it on the 3rd and it tasted even better on the 4th! Thanks again!
Old 07-15-2009, 08:17 PM   #15
Disneywishing
Earning My Ears

We always do ours with mashed potatoes instead of chunked.

I use eggs, onion, pickle, miracle whip. a little mustard and a dash of vinegar.
Salt to taste

Disneywishing
Disneywishing is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: