Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast > Podcast Cruises
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2009, 04:55 PM   #1
tlcoke
DIS Veteran

Excursions - What did you do on PCC 1.0 and would you recommend it?

I am curious about Excursions that were taken on PCC 1.0 either in Nassau or on Castaway Cay.

1. What Excursion did you do?
2. Which port was the Excursion from?
3. Would you recommend it to others?

Also share general information about the excursion good or bad.

Thanks,
Old 06-27-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

We didn't do any excursions at either port and I would recommend that.

We enjoyed just being on board ship while in Nassau. At Castaway Cay we enjoyed just beaching for a while, then going to the PodCast party.
Register to remove

Old 06-27-2009, 06:34 PM   #3
Launchpad11B
DW thinks he's a Manly Man

"Excuse me, can I have your autograph Mr. Incredible?...."

I did the jet ski ECO tour. It sucked. We didn't stop anywhere, no one talked or explained anything. The guides took off at 100 miles an hour and never looked back. I was pissed. Don't waste your time or money on this excursion.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:43 PM   #4
robind
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launchpad11B View Post
I did the jet ski ECO tour. It sucked. We didn't stop anywhere, no one talked or explained anything. The guides took off at 100 miles an hour and never looked back. I was pissed. Don't waste your time or money on this excursion.
Paul that's good to know, I was thinking about doing this.

I did the para-sailing at Castaway Cay there were about 18 dis'ers that did this at the same time. They split us onto 2 boats - each boat holds about 10 people. It was awesome. I've done it twice before so this was my 3rd time. I love it, it's so quiet and calm when you are up there, it's like being in a different world.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:07 PM   #5
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

This particular trip I didn't take any excursions, but the ones I've done in the past were:

Nassau - Ardastra Garden & City Tour -- really enjoyed it

Castaway Cay - Nature Walk & Kayaking -- loved it. I took the morning tour before it got too hot.

I have a trip report in my signature for the 3-day cruise with my reviews of the excursions.
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
DVCsince02
Everyone knows is better

I agree with Robin, parasailing was awesome! The cost was $75 per person, the boat holds 10 people. You can go tandem if you make the weight limit of 375 total. We were up about 800 feet.

They are very careful about getting you wet if you have a camera, so be sure to tell the boat drivers.

I also did the Sting Ray excursion with Shelly at CC, and I won't be going back. The rays weren't hanging around us very much (probably full) and it was towards the end so the water was a bit stirred up and murky. I found out I like my sting rays behind glass. LOL

DVCsince02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:00 PM   #7
L.E. Ott
I love the smell of sheep-rainbows!

As much as I discourage anyone from venturing too deep into Nassau, I'd highly recommend the Ardastra Gardens tour. During the ride there, we were in a very nice, air conditioned minibus, and we got to see all the highlights, and lowlights of Nassau with historical/social information being provided by the driver. The Gardens theirselves were gret, especially if you're an animal lover. The miniature parrots were a memory I will have forever, and the flamingos put on quite a show. On the way back, we stopped at two different forts, the capital building, and several other sights of interest. Beyond the recommended excursions though, Nassau isn't a place I'd recommend much solo adventuring.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:01 PM   #8
mainegal
I am becoming very good at making crushed ice
DIS Veteran

Nassau - Ardastra Garden & City Tour -- really enjoyed it

I am considering visiting the garden and touring the city.

Rather than purchasing the excursion from Disney, how about a group of DISers hiring a taxi and doing it on their own? Would this be cheaper and perhaps more convenient than going with a larger group?

My mother and her brother went on several cruises and usually hired a taxi (sometimes with another couple) to take them places.
mainegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:42 PM   #9
L.E. Ott
I love the smell of sheep-rainbows!

I recommend the actual Disney Excursion. You know what to expect then. The buses are clean, the drivers informative, and your return to the ship is guaranteed. I've heard reports about Nassau taxis, both good and horribly bad. I'd say going it on your own and hiring a taxi, is a gamble at best. I can say, we had more than enough time at the gardens, and the additional city tour was informative, and interesting. We also went and did some shopping on our own, but that was the big turnoff for us as far as the Nassau atmosphere goes. When the tour ended we were ready to call it a day and get back on the boat.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:08 AM   #10
BriarRosie
Creator of Tag Fairy Haiku:
Clap your hands loudly
Bounce until your rear is sore
Tags shall be granted
Official DIS TF Haiku author!

Quote:
Did you leave feedback on the ship? If Disney knows what you experienced on your "tour", they would probably go about taking this tour off the rotation if guests are being hosed.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:39 AM   #11
Launchpad11B
DW thinks he's a Manly Man

"Excuse me, can I have your autograph Mr. Incredible?...."

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriarRosie View Post
Did you leave feedback on the ship? If Disney knows what you experienced on your "tour", they would probably go about taking this tour off the rotation if guests are being hosed.
We informed guest relations. The advertised tour said the jet skis make multiple stops on and around Castaway Cay and describe the eco system. The actual tour went so far away from CC that all you could see was the ship!! No island! The guides were jumping the jet ski's over each others wakes. Not one stop, not one word spoken the whole time. If you are a VERY experienced jet skier, and enjoy going as fast as possible in the open ocean, bouncing over the waves then go ahead and try it. I hated it.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:52 PM   #12
cocowum
Have will cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriarRosie View Post
Yep, we told guest relations about it and we left a detailed review on the comment card.
cocowum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:57 PM   #13
BriarRosie
Creator of Tag Fairy Haiku:
Clap your hands loudly
Bounce until your rear is sore
Tags shall be granted
Official DIS TF Haiku author!

Quote:
We informed guest relations. The advertised tour said the jet skis make multiple stops on and around Castaway Cay and describe the eco system. The actual tour went so far away from CC that all you could see was the ship!! No island! The guides were jumping the jet ski's over each others wakes. Not one stop, not one word spoken the whole time. If you are a VERY experienced jet skier, and enjoy going as fast as possible in the open ocean, bouncing over the waves then go ahead and try it. I hated it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocowum View Post
Yep, we told guest relations about it and we left a detailed review on the comment card.
Ugh. I'm glad you left the comment cards on that excursion. I would have hated that, too.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:33 PM   #14
chirurgeon
I am a delicate flower and need my sleep
I'm trying to avoid Emeldaitis

I will agree with Robin and Jen about the parasailing. I plan on doing it on the next cruise. I also did the Segway tour on Nassau. Mindy, Jason, Susan and a few other Dis'ers were also on the tour. It was great. They let you go faster than you can at Epcot or Ft Wilderness. They even show you how to go hands free. You go through a nature reserve. I love Segways. I will most likely so that again. Podcast scheduling being kept in mind of course. I didn't do any spa stuff on this cruise, but I might do the spa too on the next cruise. Plenty of time to save up.

Kim
CBR 4/00, YC 12/02, ASSp 6/05, AKL/BWI 12/06, ASSP/POFQ 6/07, POFQ/AKL 12/08, PCC 1 5/09, Dolphin/POP 2.0 12/09, POFQ/BCV 04/10, PCC 2.0 12/10, POR 12/11, ABD BSM 7/12, PCC 4.0 12/12, BC 4/13, ABD BSM 7/14
chirurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:35 PM   #15
ma2jr
DIS Veteran

I agree with L.E. Ott
ma2jr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: