Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
Cyrissa
Earning My Ears

Car Rental and Magical Express

Question for you all...

Our family has a Disney trip planned for Sept. 29 - Oct. 5 and then we are driving to the Gulf Coast for a week. We're flying from Denver, so we are planning to rent a car.

I'm guessing we don't really need the car for our week at Disney, especially with Magical Express transport from the airport. However, we'd like to be able to stock up on a few snacks and drinks to stash in our room. Anyplace reasonable to get that stuff without having access to a car?

If we do decide to get a car for the whole two weeks, is it worth using Magical Express for your luggage transport (arriving in this case), even if you won't actually be riding the bus, or is that totally stupid? OK that 's probably a really dorky question... Haven't done this before...

Thanks,
Cyrissa
Cyrissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:40 PM   #2
ParrotBill
A parrot's life for me
Stalked by a little Einstein

If you do rent a car, it's your choice but I would take my luggage.

What we do is rent a car for 1 day at the begin of our trip to get food because we are in a DVC villa. If you only need drinks and snacks your resort will have some, or walk across from DTD to the Hess Mart.

We will also rent a car 2 days in the middle of our 2 week trip to go to the beach and some some off property shopping and meals.

You can rent with Alamo or National at the Car Care Center (shuttle available) and also at the Dolphin. Dollar is at the Regal Sun across from DTD (good rates, that's where we are getting ours).

BWV and OKW DVC since 1996, 40+ WDW, 2 DL, 1 DLP visits

ParrotBill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-02-2009, 12:58 PM   #3
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrissa View Post
If we do decide to get a car for the whole two weeks, is it worth using Magical Express for your luggage transport (arriving in this case), even if you won't actually be riding the bus, or is that totally stupid? OK that 's probably a really dorky question... Haven't done this before...
Whether you can or should use DME for luggage transport only is a hotly debated and still unresolved question. Please see this thread for everything you ever wanted to know (and probably much more) about that issue.
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic E. Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy W. Caribbean; Summer 2014, WDW/WL; October 2014, Disney Magic S. Caribbean and Repo B2B

Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Welcome to the Transportation boards Cyrissa.
You can use a grocery delivery service. Yes, they charge a delivery fee and you may need to tip, but it's cheaper than renting a car. I have used both
gardengrocer.com and wegoshop.com both with very good success.
That way, your groceries are waiting for you at your resort, when you arrive.
Then, when you need to have a car, you can rent one...no need to rent one for the entire trip, unless you really want to.
DME is a good perk of staying onsite. Yes, it does take up to 4 hrs to get your luggage after checking in at your resort. But you should always pack a carryon bag for each person with whatever is going to be needed for the first 6-8 hrs of a trip in any case..just in case the airlines misdirect your checked bags. I routinely pack a change of clothes (if not already in shorts and a tee), a swim suit, my electronics, small toiletries in my 3-1-1 baggie, as well as my conf numbers for room and ADRs. This way, I can check in, and start my fun time without having to worry about when my checked bags get there.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: