Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2009, 07:01 PM   #136
JPFamilyMom
DIS Veteran

Location: That place between sleep and awake, where you can still remember dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
I didn't know a new edition of the Passporter was coming out. I've really resisted ordering one at all, but think I will. Another resource to fill the time, and obssess (sp?) over. Is it best to order it directly from their website??

Why do you find it a good thing to have? Would love your thoughts on it!
I don't have one yet, but have heard it is very good, it came highly recommended to me from several DISers and other Disney nuts from other boards. I think because, and correct me if this is wrong someone, but I believe there are places to write notes in the book, and if you get the deluxe edition you can buy just the new information to add to your current one instead of buying a whole book each year. Plus it has special sections I believe with information you don't get in other books like on special needs (which is the main reason I'm getting it). I also just like having other sources to look at when planning.

I am pre-ordering from their site because I have a special discount code coming to me. But if you have a membership to another site it could be just as well I'm sure. I saw this years book at Barnes and noble while there on Tuesday, but just flipped through it really quick as I had Jack with me and he was close to melt down.

It just seems like a very well organized book
Old 10-02-2009, 04:54 AM   #137
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFamilyMom View Post
I don't have one yet, but have heard it is very good, it came highly recommended to me from several DISers and other Disney nuts from other boards. I think because, and correct me if this is wrong someone, but I believe there are places to write notes in the book, and if you get the deluxe edition you can buy just the new information to add to your current one instead of buying a whole book each year. Plus it has special sections I believe with information you don't get in other books like on special needs (which is the main reason I'm getting it). I also just like having other sources to look at when planning.

I am pre-ordering from their site because I have a special discount code coming to me. But if you have a membership to another site it could be just as well I'm sure. I saw this years book at Barnes and noble while there on Tuesday, but just flipped through it really quick as I had Jack with me and he was close to melt down.

Hmm... I'm really going to have think about getting this one. I'm in the middle of making my own book for notes and important info. I'll need in the parks, so I really don't need another thing to carry around for notes.

All7OfUs is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2009, 10:20 AM   #138
JPFamilyMom
DIS Veteran

Location: That place between sleep and awake, where you can still remember dreaming

Characters are looking like a tragic experience....

After a long hard week and what was suppose to be Jacks last soccer game (our season got extended to make up for all the lost games due to bad weather), I had decided we would go to Chuck E Cheese's for a night of fun.

Rides were a hit with both kids

Jack even went on a rollercoaster ride simulator, twice

Games were also a hit

Characters on the other hand, got this reaction

Yep, Jack ran the other way, and hid under the table
Joey froze and didn't smile, he didn't run and didn't cry, but he was less than impressed with Chuck and quickly jumped into my arms.

I'm thinking though that Chuck E. is not really familiar to them, and hoping that the sight of Mickey and Pooh will give them big smiles... plus they will each be slightly older when we go in June, so as said before, still hoping for happy experiences, but have decided to only book 2 character meals now

Up next will be the hidden mickeys we plan to find...
Old 10-03-2009, 10:46 AM   #139
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

Sounds good to limit the character experiences at first.... maybe try booking them towards the latter part of your vacation too? Let them get used to seeing them around the parks first?

Love your second half of your list by the way...
Mickey_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:51 AM   #140
KathyRN137
...and the greatest of these is Love

Quote:

I have the deluxe PassPorter and I love it, it functions not only as a planner, but an organizer as well (there are pockets for each day so you can slip things like tickets and receipts inside.) I also love the colorfl fold-out park maps.

Every year I get the updated filler pages and save the old maps for Billy to play with... they are smaller and sturdier than the Disney park maps.

PassPorter's Open Mouse, the book for special needs, does not have the organizer pockets or the maps in color, but I bought that one too because it has nice chapters on ASD's, ASHD and anxiety issues.

Quote:

Characters on the other hand, got this reaction

Yep, Jack ran the other way, and hid under the table
Joey froze and didn't smile, he didn't run and didn't cry, but he was less than impressed with Chuck and quickly jumped into my arms.

It will be hit-and-miss at Disney I think. Billy was five on his first trip and he was frightened of the non-face characters. He was more comfortable with face characters like the princesses and Aladdin.

Just take it slow... I think character meals are awesome.

Let the character "handler" know about your son's issues and thew will let the character CM know... they are usually careful to be non-threatening with special-needs kids.

Kathy
KathyRN137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:12 AM   #141
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great

HA! Chuck E Cheese is one of my older kids' vague memories from the US. It's been probably 10 or more years since we've been, but I think the noise and games and little show they have really made an impression. I know that the pizza certainly made an impression on me- NOT!! More likely the "impression" was on my car seat on the way home!

I think the characters are well trained in interaction with kids who are easily frightened. Like Kathy says, just let them know, and you should be fine.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:46 AM   #142
jmskinner
DIS Veteran

Glad the boys had a great time at Chuck E Cheese. We always enjoy going there.

I like Mickey Mom's idea of scheduling the character meals towards the end of the trip.
POR July 2006;POR June 13-21 2008;ASM Sept 26-28 2008;RPR July 14-16, 2009;POR July 16-21 2009;CBR Sept 4-7, 2009, POFQ Thanksgiving 2009, AKKV June 5-6, 2010, POFQ July 2010, AS Sports Sept 2010, POFQ Jan 2011, BLT Feb 2011, POP Apr 2011, SoG May 2011, POR July 2011, POR and POP Aug 2012, CSR Oct 2012

900 Miles, 5 Parks, 2 Resorts, 6 ADR's, and 3 days of Celebration!!! August 2012 TR I love SWW and SW Celebrations...does that mean I am a geek? A PTR of a SW family August 2012. Adventures of a DisneyWORLDholic!
That's it...we moved to Florida to be close to Mickey TR with daily TR's and other Florida Fun!
My DSD came to visit and didn't want to go to WDW with us??? My July 14-21st TR with Busch Gardens, Universal, and of course, WDW.
jmskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:50 AM   #143
JPFamilyMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_Mom View Post
Sounds good to limit the character experiences at first.... maybe try booking them towards the latter part of your vacation too? Let them get used to seeing them around the parks first?

Love your second half of your list by the way...
Yep, I'm going to try and book Chef Mickey's for our last day, try to start that as a tradition. Then I'm thinking Crystal Palace, sometime in the middle of the week. We'll see... only time will tell right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyRN137 View Post
I have the deluxe PassPorter and I love it, it functions not only as a planner, but an organizer as well (there are pockets for each day so you can slip things like tickets and receipts inside.) I also love the colorfl fold-out park maps.

Every year I get the updated filler pages and save the old maps for Billy to play with... they are smaller and sturdier than the Disney park maps.

PassPorter's Open Mouse, the book for special needs, does not have the organizer pockets or the maps in color, but I bought that one too because it has nice chapters on ASD's, ASHD and anxiety issues.

It will be hit-and-miss at Disney I think. Billy was five on his first trip and he was frightened of the non-face characters. He was more comfortable with face characters like the princesses and Aladdin.

Just take it slow... I think character meals are awesome.

Let the character "handler" know about your son's issues and thew will let the character CM know... they are usually careful to be non-threatening with special-needs kids.

Kathy
Yeah, Jack will be five on this trip, so yep about the same. I hadn't realized when I ordered our passporter (I got the deluxe edition for all the reasons you listed) that the open mouse was separate, so now I have to go back and add that I suppose, because that was my whole reason for getting the passporter-at least that is what I told DH.

Quote:
HA! Chuck E Cheese is one of my older kids' vague memories from the US. It's been probably 10 or more years since we've been, but I think the noise and games and little show they have really made an impression. I know that the pizza certainly made an impression on me- NOT!! More likely the "impression" was on my car seat on the way home!

I think the characters are well trained in interaction with kids who are easily frightened. Like Kathy says, just let them know, and you should be fine.
Yep, there was a lot going on that night, but Jack had a mellow day and the evening for him went perfect, minus the Chuck E experience. He even said he would want to go again. (We had been before, but it had been awhile, and before there was always something that bothered him). He is doing so much better this year.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:24 PM   #144
KathyRN137
...and the greatest of these is Love

Quote:
We still don't understand DS's diagnosis, it says High Functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder on his IEP, but there are parts that said Aspergers????

Jessica, I've found this site to be very helpful. It is written by a woman with a child on the autism spectrum. Perhaps you would like to view it...

http://autism.about.com/od/whatisaut...sdiagnosis.htm

Kathy
KathyRN137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:36 PM   #145
ladybugmom
DIS Veteran

Oh how funny!! Hopefully their reactions to Disney characters will be much different--especially since they are so familiar with them!!
ladybugmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #146
JPFamilyMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyRN137 View Post
Jessica, I've found this site to be very helpful. It is written by a woman with a child on the autism spectrum. Perhaps you would like to view it...

http://autism.about.com/od/whatisaut...sdiagnosis.htm

Kathy
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugmom View Post
Oh how funny!! Hopefully their reactions to Disney characters will be much different--especially since they are so familiar with them!!
yep, I'm hopeful, but ready for it to go either way
Old 10-11-2009, 04:20 PM   #147
JPFamilyMom
DIS Veteran

Our quest to find the Hidden Mickeys

I finished my first 5K this weekend, my only goal was to finish, now next month I want to beat my time. We had a little scare at the end of the race though, Jack wondered off to look for me, and was lost for about 10 minutes (he didn't know he was lost, no reaction to what we tried to tell him about walking off). And the music at the event was too loud it sent him running when we were trying to eat. So top of my list to order this week are those noise reducing headphones. Which I think will be great for WDW and our "regular" life.

Now for WDW planning:
These are the ones I have picked out of the book "Hidden Mickeys...A Field Guide to Walt Disney World's Best Kept Secrets."

But I will cut the list down before the trip I think, though I have picked ones that don't interfere with our "fun" and the "adventure of a first trip."

Magic Kingdom:

Tomorrowland
*Walk to Tomorrowland and get a Fastpass for Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin. Spot the classic Mickey on the Fastpass machine.
*Search for two classic Mickey's in a star field.
*Tomorrowland Transit Authority: In the last part of the ride, observe the accessories of the woman getting her hair done.

Fantasyland
* Peter Pan's Flight: Just before you get to the entrance queue turnstile, look closely at the bark of the trees facing the loading area to find a classic Hidden Mickey.
*Pooh's Playful Spot: Search for a Mickey made of rocks embedded in the tree
*Pooh's Playful Spot: Find a side profile of Mickey in the bark.

Adventureland:
*Jungle Cruise: Search the side of the river for Donald Duck's face on a native.

Main Street:
* Look around the outside of Crystal Palace restaurant.

Up next...finding Hidden Mickeys in Epcot

Last edited by JPFamilyMom; 10-11-2009 at 04:26 PM.
JPFamilyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:32 AM   #148
All7OfUs

HI Jessica!

THis list looks great! Not too many for a first trip. You'll have a great time finding them, and you'll be surprised how many you all find just on your own. Make sure to take pictures!

After I finish my lists of other kinds of hidden gems to look for, I'll start on my list of HMs I want to find.

Did you see my note about starting to think about a meet in Nashville on my PTR? What do you think??

Old 10-14-2009, 12:16 AM   #149
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

I haven't posted in a while... BAD DISer!!!!

I think your boys reaction to seeing the characters in WDW will be very different. I really think you have nothing to worry about.

I need to buy that Hidden Mickey book.
that's nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:54 AM   #150
JPFamilyMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
HI Jessica!

THis list looks great! Not too many for a first trip. You'll have a great time finding them, and you'll be surprised how many you all find just on your own. Make sure to take pictures!

After I finish my lists of other kinds of hidden gems to look for, I'll start on my list of HMs I want to find.

Did you see my note about starting to think about a meet in Nashville on my PTR? What do you think??
I have to post the Epcot ones sometime today or tomorrow. I've been gathering up homeschooling lesson plans off the internet.

Yes, looking forward to our DISmeet next year in Nashville. I'm 3 hours in the opposite direction like Mary, so Nashville seems like a great meeting spot to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post
I haven't posted in a while... BAD DISer!!!!

I think your boys reaction to seeing the characters in WDW will be very different. I really think you have nothing to worry about.

I need to buy that Hidden Mickey book.
no worries, I have not posted much these days as I have been working, and running the kids around, etc. Yes the HM book is a DISer MUST

So I was in the car with my DH the other day, and I asked if he thinks he could handle the boys for a weekend when they are 6 and 3, and he says... "I can handle them now"... my reaction "oh ok" (my thought...yeah right ), then he asks why, and I say well because I'm not doing the 1/2 marathon in 2010, so I thought I'd take a trip out to do the princess half in 2011... to which he responds...."so what do you mean? you mean you are going without us?" to which I say well you said we didn't really have a budget to go in 2011 if we did this big trip in 2010... and he says "well we are all going." so I have another trip to plan for

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: