Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2009, 08:48 AM   #1
leith
Earning My Ears

Family of 5 - where to stay?

We are 2 adults and 10, 8 and 3 are my kids. I called the reservation line and was told a couple of options are All Stars Music, Port Orleans, or Polynesian or Grand Floridian. From a practical standpoint, what do you think is the best place to stay. I can't figure out how to judge it. We are looking at going next June right after school is out.

any thoughts?
leith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:09 AM   #2
btcrane
Today is the best day of my life!

Also a family of 5 here, three kids ages 16, 14, and 10. We stayed in a FW cabin in March 2009 and loved, loved, loved it. We've stayed at Port Orleans Riverside but had two rooms because of the ages of our kids--just too many for one small hotel room.

My recommendation: FW cabin!!!!! Lots of space, very clean, and it provided us a nice, quiet place to decompress and just appreciate spending time with each other after the excitement of the parks. The best of both worlds!
btcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-27-2009, 09:12 AM   #3
MississippiMom
Mouseketeer

I'd Like to Know, Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by leith View Post
We are 2 adults and 10, 8 and 3 are my kids. I called the reservation line and was told a couple of options are All Stars Music, Port Orleans, or Polynesian or Grand Floridian. From a practical standpoint, what do you think is the best place to stay. I can't figure out how to judge it. We are looking at going next June right after school is out.

any thoughts?
I'm curious to see what kind of replies you get, as well. I'm beginning to think that we can actually swing Disney World for Spring Break (early March for us), however, I am leaning toward looking at some off-property suite hotels for the space. We were there in Fall '06 and wound up at Marriott World Center, because that was the location of DH's conference. It was a beautiful hotel, but a ridiculously cramped room.
MississippiMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:16 AM   #4
Tam1067
LOVES LOVES LOVES the Poly

You have a number of options.

Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Contemporary, Yacht Club, Beach Club, and Boardwalk all have rooms that sleep 5. These rooms have two queens and a daybed.

Port Orleans Riverside has some rooms with two doubles and a trundle which can accommodate a child. This would be your cheapest option.

All-Star Music has some family suites. These are two rooms, and between the bedroom and living room area, they sleep six. They have a kitchen area with microwave and refrigerator, and they also have two bathrooms.

Also, the cabins at Fort Wilderness sleep six. They have a kitchen, too.

Finally, villas at DVC locations can work for you. At the Bay Lack Towers (at the Contemporary) and at the new Kidani building at Animal Kingdom Lodge, your family could fit in a one-bedroom unit. You would also have a washer/dryer, full kitchen, and two bathrooms if you booked one of these places.

At older DVC locations such as Saratoga Springs and Old Key West, you would have to book a two bedroom unit to fit five.

The cheapest option would be the Port Orleans room. Other options will vary in price, so you need to decide what's important to you and your family.

We're a family of five, and we've stayed at the Polynesian. This summer, we're trying the Grand Floridian. We're debating what to do for our Christmas trip, but we haven't figured out anything yet.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:32 AM   #5
defendthehill
Mouseketeer

We got home two weeks ago from The Beach Club. My family of five consists of me and my wife and three girls. Ages 7,5,3. We found it to be great. Storm Along Bay (the pool complex) was fantastic! I would absolutley do The Beach Club again with my family.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2201376

2009 Beach Club
2011 Port Orleans Riverside
defendthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:46 AM   #6
minnie61650

DIS Veteran

Location: On a Lake in Southeast Michigan,Snowbird home Bonita Springs,Florida

The Family Suites start at $184 a night duing value season.
Most of the Disney resorts (excluding DVC) charge extra for more than 2 adults in a room.
The Family Suites do not charge extra for extra adults.
1-6 adults can stay in the Family Suites for the same et price.
The Family Suites have discounts available also so if you keep your eyes open you just may snag a great deal.

---------------------------------------------

Family Suite info:

DH and I stayed in a Family Suite at All Star Music ( a value resort) in Sept. of 2006.

We really enjoyed the Queen size bed, the kitchenette with the microwave, having a sofa and cushioned chair to sit on and relax after a day at the parks before retiring for the evening.

I thought the pullouts very comfortable.

They are designed so the back cushion and seat cushion of the pullout support the pullout. There is no metal bar to hurt the sleepers back.

Info thread--Pullouts in Family Suites at ASMU with photos of how the pullout is supported.

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...0#post18100990

Here is the layout of the Family Suites:

They:

-Sleep up to 6 (plus one child under age 3 in a Pak-n-Play crib)
-Studio amenities and separate sleeping areas giving more privacy than a standard room.
-Queen bed, full-size pullout sofa, convertible ottoman & chair sleepers
The pullout chair and large ottoman each pull out into standard size twin beds.
(4 separate sleepers)
-Private master bedroom and family room have 27” flat CRT TV and high speed Internet access.
-Kitchenette with microwave, small refrigerator (4.3 cu. ft) and coffee pot
-Two-full bathrooms

Here is my review of the Suites:

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...74&postcount=7

For more photos and info please see this info thread:

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1392879

Have fun at Disney wherever you choose to stay!
minnie61650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:47 AM   #7
minnie61650

DIS Veteran

Location: On a Lake in Southeast Michigan,Snowbird home Bonita Springs,Florida

I have stayed at all levels of Disney Resorts. My favorite Disney owned resort is All Star Music.

Here are a few reasons :

1. I can book a preferred room location..( The Calypso buildings are preferred and they are the closest to the main pool ,food court and bus stop. They cost an $10 extra a night and in my opinion they are well worth it.)
The way All Star Music is laid out it "seems" smaller than most of the other Disney resorts. If I stay in a preferred building I only see the Calypso and Jazz builings on the way to and from the main pool and the bus stop and food court. Since I stay in preferred room I know I am going to be close to the food court, bus stop, & main pool.

2. I enjoy the theming at the All Stars. All Star Music is also is the quietest of the values.

3. The bus service at the All Star Music is very good. Since I use an EVC good bus transportation is essential.

4. The entry at the values and Mods are much more Handicap friendly.
I am able to get in and out of my All Star room unassisted. This way my husband can go and play a round of golf and know I can leave my room to relax by the pool if I choose.
--------------------------------------------------

All Star Music is my favorite resort. It tends to be the quietest of all the values.

All Star Music just underwent a refurbishment of all of the rooms and was completed in June 2007.

Here is a website with photos of the newly refurbished rooms at All Star Music.

Look at the Jazz Inn section with new posted:

http://allearsnet.com/acc/g_asmu.htm

About 3 years ago All Star Music added childrens activities by the main pool. They also show a Disney movie on a giant inflatable screen each night.

Here is a list of activities that was posted one day in June 2008 by the pool:

---------------------------------------------------------

DH and I enjoy the landscaping and peacefulness of All Star Music.
We enjoy relaxing by the pool (there are plenty of chairs and lounges), and the beautiful lighting at the resort by night.

------------------------------------

I love The All Star Resorts.

I am 56 years old and travel several times a yearfor pleasure. I often stay at 3and 4 star and sometimes a 5 star hotels and motels.
So the deluxe and mod resorts are just another hotel/motel to me.
Staying at an All Star is like being in the heart of the Magic and that is where I want to be.

All Star Music is my favorite. It is quieter because more couples stay there. I love staying at the Calypso building. It is closer to the pool, food court and bus stop.

Here is a site with a map of All Star Sports and All Star Music.
http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/allstarmap.htm
Scroll down. All Star Music is at the bottom of the page.
The Calypso buildings at All Star Music are #1 and #10 are nearest to the food court and bus stop.

The Calypso pool at ASMu has Donald Duck.

The buses are wonderful.

Bus rides are quite short from the ALL Stars according to PassPorter.com

All Star Buses-CBR buses---POPbuses--PO buses--- Contemporary
MK 20 min---- 20 min-----25 min------10 min---20 min(mono)
Epcot 10 min-- 15 min-----20 min------10 min---15 min
MGM 10 min----12 min-----15 min------15 min---20min
AK 10 min------20min-------15 min----15 min---20 min
DTD 15 min----20 min------20 min-----15 min---35 min

It only takes 10 minutes to get to Epcot, MGM and AK from All Stars.
MK is listed as 20 min away. That's the same amount of time it takes on the monorail from the Contemporary.

*Please Note:
In my experience the bus rides are usually 3-6 minutes shorter than the listed times. Perhaps the authors posted the ride times during heavy traffic so the actual times would be less in most cases.

A WORD ABOUT BUS SHARING

To me Bus Sharing at the All Stars is really a non issue.

In the mornings during Park opening hours each All Star usually has a dedicated bus.
During mid day it is usually just our stop and maybe one more on the way to the parks. On the way back sometimes it is all 3 but often Sports and Movies share and Music has it's own bus back. Each of the All Stars usually has it's own dedicated bus back from the MK.
That is a big plus. It seems like the Music bus stop usually has the shortest of the three All Star bus lines.

I guess some people who stay at POP see all 3 All Star names on the return sign of our bus stop when they head to the POP bus stop and think All Stars also has 3 stops on the way to the park.
(Even when we stop at another AS resort to load up it has not taken more than 5 minutes and we are on our way!)

The pools at The All Stars are very kid friendly.

When staying at the All Stars you can use any of the All Star pools.That means 3 main pools ,3 quiet pools and 3 kiddie pools to chose from.

The All Star Movie Fantasia pool has Mickey.

The Calypso pool at ASMU has Donald Duck.

And the Surfs up pool at All Star Sports has giant surf boards.

Here are a few pool photos.

All Star Sports pool.

All Star Music Donald pool.

All Star Movies Mickey Pool.

I have visited WDW more than a dozen times with the 1st time in Oct. 1971. It was brand new. I've stayed at FW, Disney Inn, a few the of Hotels on hotel Blvd., CBR and the towers at the Contemporary. I got to see the MK from my balcony at the Contemporary and I'm happy I got to experience it once. I just prefer the All Star Resorts.
The theming is pure Disney.

My last 6 visits have been at The All Stars and during the fall of 2005 when we took dd,dsil, and our grandson age 3(at the time) for 8 nights we stayed at the All Stars Music. I thought about AKL and even though we can well afford AKL I just wanted Alex to experience the Disney Magic at the All Stars on his first visit.
Where else can one find Donald Duck or Mickey Mouse at the pool?

Have fun at Disney!
minnie61650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:38 AM   #8
Vickis3js
DIS Veteran

When we went last Dec we did 2 rooms at Pop. It was more money then staying POR but less then staying at the family suite at All Star. We were thinking about doing the family suite but I didn't want to be bothered with pulling the beds out. Cabins were more money then any of the options and with the code they offered they sold out quickly.2 rooms at Pop was ok. We had plenty of space for the 5 of us Me, DH 9yo, 8yo and 7 yo. I would definatle see about renting DVC points though. We bought DVC while we were there and will be MUCH happier@!
Old 06-27-2009, 01:37 PM   #9
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

Port Orleans Riverside.
Economical.
Downright beautiful. Grounds are lush to say the least. Pool is wonderful.
Great food selection.
Great amenities. Surrey bikes, dowtown disney boat ride, carriage rides, fishing area for kids, etc.

Bed setup is two double beds and a twin size mattress in the alligator bayou section. Our kids love it!

Take my advice. Your kids will love this resort and the parents will be glad they didn't do the budget hotel.

Here is a picture of the Ol' Man River pool at Riverside. There is also a waterslide for you older kids that is great. PS. They have several "quiet pools" around the resort as well.

2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 01:45 PM   #10
MJMcBride
Barely lost is barely found

Polynesian is the best of that bunch

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom
MJMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:05 PM   #11
waw1961
Earning My Ears

We stayed at the FW cabins last Sept. with our party of 6. It was nice but one drawback was it only had one bathroom, a bit inconvenient with 6 people.We also had to rent a golf cart to get around the campground, that got a bit expensive. We're going to try the AS Music suites next Jan. for the first time, hopefully they will be a little better .
2000 Dixie Landings
2002 All Star Movies & Animal Kingdom Lodge
2004 Carribean Beach Resort
2006 Pop Century Resort
2007 Coronado Springs
2008 Ft. Wilderness Cabins
2010 Port Orleans FQ
waw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:13 PM   #12
aurorae
DIS Veteran

Also, consider an off site vacation home.

Cheaper, but you would need a car.
aurorae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:27 PM   #13
mitchwebb
DIS Veteran

Family of 5 also. We have rented points for a one-bedroom at BWV the last two visits. Love the kitchen and washer/dryer. If renting Sunday thru Friday is the cheapest with weekends costing more. We stayed at the Poly for a couple of nights on both trips instead of paying the higher weekend rates through DVC.

DHDD13DD15DD21*

Last edited by mitchwebb; 06-28-2009 at 03:12 PM.
mitchwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:40 PM   #14
DoleWhipMom
Mouseketeer

We've stayed at POR 3 times with 3 kids, the Poly once (our first trip). Love, love, love POR. Our kids this trip will be 17, 13, and 11 so we are getting 2 rooms at POFQ this August because we can no longer fit our youngest in the trundle (she is tall). We thought of getting one deluxe room but at their ages, we really wanted another bathroom and the extra space plus our kids love Disney Quest and the boat to DTD can't be beat. We almost stayed at the ASMu at the Family Suite which looked really nice but the boat to DTD and the small size of POFQ made us pick it.
2001 Jul POLY, 2002 May POR, 2003 Oct POR, 2004 Aug/Sept USO HR, 2005 Jul USO PB, 2006 Aug/Sept POR, 2007 Jul USO PB, 2008 May USO RP, 2008 Aug/Sept WL, 2009 Aug/Sept POFQ, 2010 Sept BC, 2011 Aug/Sept BC, 2012 Aug/Sept POR/AKL/YC, 2013 Aug YC
DoleWhipMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:44 PM   #15
broberts
Mouseketeer

We did 2 rooms at All Star Sports last November and really like this option. I think it makes a difference having that extra bathroom. It is really nice if you can get connecting rooms.
broberts is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: