Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2009, 09:08 PM   #1
amberg@eastlink.ca
DIS Veteran

airport questions

hi guys! we are heading down in september. instead of renting a stroller down there we went out and bought the sit and stand stroller walmart had on last week. were travelling through continnental and i know they say the small strollers can go on as a personal item or in the cabin, but what about the bigger ones? the website says we can take it in the terminal with us. dh says theyll take it at the jet way and stow beneath. is this correct? he also says when we disembark(layover in newark) theyll give it back and we then proceed to our connector, and repeat. is thath what happens or is it then considered a piece of luggage? and we get it at our resort once its delivered?

oh help! ive never been so confused going to disney before as i am going with two small kids! lol

1985- off site1986- off site2003- off site2004- off site2005- allstar movies!2009- allstar movies!-tenth wedding anny trip! 2010 split stay! asmovies andwl! 2011-bay lake(feb) 2011 ssr(may) 2011 bay lake(dec)
amberg@eastlink.ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:49 PM   #2
Macduffy
DIS Veteran

Hi There! I see you're from NS... I'm from NB and we traveling from Bangor ME this September with a 3 year old and a 20 month old! We bought a cheap umbrella stroller from Wal Mart ($40 I think) for the 3 year old and have a Combi for our youngest.
We are going to Gate Check the stroller so we can have it when we connect in JFK and then again while we are in MCO. We'll go through Security with it (it will have to be put through the x ray machine) and check it before we board!
It doesn't count against your luggage allowance as it is a special item. I'm not sure about the size but if it was a bigger model and wouldn't fit in the x ray machine my guess is that it would be have to be inspected personally.
Macduffy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-26-2009, 10:39 PM   #3
amberg@eastlink.ca
DIS Veteran

hi! we contemplated doing the bangor thing, and just figured it would be too much for the kids to go that far in one day. (weve done kittery the last two year but broken up with a stay in nb) i love our combi! our two yr old no way! lol im glad it doesnt count as luggage- thanks! once folded and collapsed its about the size of one you'd stick your bucket seat into when your babies were tiny. so i know its more than likely too big to fit in cabin, and for obvious reasons i want it at newark and as soon as we get to orlando. but i dont know if they take it for underneath if theyll allow us to get it when we land in newark. travelling with kids is so confusing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macduffy View Post
Hi There! I see you're from NS... I'm from NB and we traveling from Bangor ME this September with a 3 year old and a 20 month old! We bought a cheap umbrella stroller from Wal Mart ($40 I think) for the 3 year old and have a Combi for our youngest.
We are going to Gate Check the stroller so we can have it when we connect in JFK and then again while we are in MCO. We'll go through Security with it (it will have to be put through the x ray machine) and check it before we board!
It doesn't count against your luggage allowance as it is a special item. I'm not sure about the size but if it was a bigger model and wouldn't fit in the x ray machine my guess is that it would be have to be inspected personally.

1985- off site1986- off site2003- off site2004- off site2005- allstar movies!2009- allstar movies!-tenth wedding anny trip! 2010 split stay! asmovies andwl! 2011-bay lake(feb) 2011 ssr(may) 2011 bay lake(dec)
Old 06-27-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
stefanospops
DIS Veteran

We went to WDW twice last year, flying from Toronto to Orlando to New York City to Toronto the first time and Toronto to Orlando return the second time. On all occasions we checked the stroller at the gate because we need it not to transport the kids but to transport their car seats! So they will take it into the cargo hold and then will bring it up to the landing once the plan is at the gate. All times the stroller was there by the time we got off the plane, but we were also usually the last to leave since it took us time to get the car seats unbuckled too.

Our next trip is in February and I don't know how I will manage it now that we have three kids. But that is my problem! You won't have any problem checking your stroller at the entrance into the plane. Just make sure they tag it at the counter. Have fun!
Old 06-27-2009, 06:25 PM   #5
angela1044
Mouseketeer

Taking a stroller in the airport is a god send in my opinion. It's just a pain if your kids have fallen asleep before you go through security.

You will need to take your child out and fold it to go through the x-ray. I'm sure it will be fine because we put through a double Graco and it fit fine.

Then check it just as you get on the plane. Also, make sure it is tagged. Then when you get off the plane, they will bring it up to you. If it isn't there, just wait a few minutes. We have never had a problem getting ours back quickly.

Have a great trip.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:37 PM   #6
amberg@eastlink.ca
DIS Veteran

thanks guys! one less thing to stress over! my ta couldnt even answer this one for me!!! i know we leave at 855 and have to be there before 6. then an hr and a half in newark, in orlando by 212. im sure one little peep will be asleep! itll be so much easier to plop them in this than drag em around plus carryons!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: