Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
churchpilot
I never look back, Dahling, it distracts from the NOW!

Question about camping space

We are planning a trip to Disney in Feb. 2010 (as well as Oct. 09!). We like to go every Feb., but this coming year will be a little different. My husband will be meeting up with some of his old squadron mates from the Air Force (F-111F's). Our family will be staying at a moderate resort. My husband wants to be able to meet up with his pals, sit around and relive the glory days (opening night of the Gulf War, etc.). He thinks sitting around a campfire, grilling steaks and watching some sports will be a nice diversion for the guys while the women and children do commando Disney. They will join in, but not every day, all day long. My question is this...can we reserve a spot, put either a tent or small RV on it, but not spend the night there....basically just use it as a meeting place and grilling place? Thanks for any insight and advice.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:54 PM   #2
I'mDownWithDisney
Mouseketeer

Sure, you can do that, but no campfires. I am not sure about portable propane fire pits (doubt it, though). Keep in mind only one vehicle is allowed per site. The visitors would have to park in the main lot and ride the bus to the loop.
I'mDownWithDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-26-2009, 09:18 PM   #3
churchpilot

Thanks for the advice. They will all fit in one vehicle, so that won't be a problem. They are more interested in the grilling, sitting around talking, and reliving the glory days, so they can do without the fire and maybe even TV! An alternative for them will be some of the resort bars for the sports.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:44 PM   #4
FlaFortCampster
DIS Veteran

They can do all those things at the campsite, just have to do it Fort style.
Fire in the grill at the site.
Grilling on the fire in the grill
TV hooked up to cable (via coaxial you bring yourself) and sitting on picnic table.
Some folding chairs and one or two small folding tables.
Ice chest with adult beverages, meat for grilling and potatoes wrapped in foil to toss in grill coals
Ahhhhh, think the guys would be quite happy. Plus, they can catch the bus back to the "other" resort so no one has to drive buzzed.
Sounds like a great plan and BY THE WAY......Thanks to them for serving our country .
FlaFortCampster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 07:25 AM   #5
Shan-man
¿sɐɯʇsıɹɥɔ lıʇ, sʎɐp ʎuɐɯ ʍoH

Unless there is a burning ban in effect for central Florida at the time, a fully enclosed free-standing fire pit is allowed... it just has to have a spark arrestor screen over and around the flames.

Shan-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:08 AM   #6
stpetedisneydad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaFortCampster View Post
TV hooked up to cable (via coaxial you bring yourself) and sitting on picnic table.
Ice chest with adult beverages, meat for grilling and potatoes wrapped in foil to toss in grill coals
Ahhhhh, think the guys would be quite happy. Plus, they can catch the bus back to the "other" resort so no one has to drive buzzed.
Sounds like a great plan and BY THE WAY......Thanks to them for serving our country .

All of the above with a portable screen room or tent/screen room combo in case of inclement weather and for storage of tv/supplies at night. Basically a portable man cave.

Also, extend my sincere thanks for their service.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:13 AM   #7
BradyBz12
1340.63 miles too far from the Fort

If they're looking for a good sports bar, tell them to head over to the Boardwalk and try the ESPN Zone. DH and I go there to watch a game or 2 while we're at WDW and it's a lot of fun.
BradyBz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:25 AM   #8
Shan-man
¿sɐɯʇsıɹɥɔ lıʇ, sʎɐp ʎuɐɯ ʍoH

Here are a couple of older threads that talk about firepits:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....hlight=firepit

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....hlight=firepit
Shan-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:52 PM   #9
FlaFortCampster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyBz12 View Post
If they're looking for a good sports bar, tell them to head over to the Boardwalk and try the ESPN Zone. DH and I go there to watch a game or 2 while we're at WDW and it's a lot of fun.

Ya, but don't they get a little miffed when you start grilling your steaks over the fire you started on the bar????
Old 06-27-2009, 12:54 PM   #10
FlaFortCampster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan-man View Post
Unless there is a burning ban in effect for central Florida at the time, a fully enclosed free-standing fire pit is allowed... it just has to have a spark arrestor screen over and around the flames.

I didn't know that. How cool!!! See, the Fort continues to hold secrets even to the long time Fort visitors.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:48 PM   #11
churchpilot

Quote:
I really thought this thread was over with and answered and gave my husband the news... Then I came upon this bounty of advice and just gave him the update and he is hootin' and hollerin'! I didn't realize how excited he actually was at the prospect of sitting at a campsite talkin and grillin! Thank you so much for taking the time to help him (us) out---he is truly thrilled. He has already called one of his fellow squadron mates with the good news. He loves the idea of a man cave, because every pilot has their own "I love me" rooms where they keep all of their mememtos. I told him I would try and find some Mickey dice to hang from the awning! Thanks again for your help and my hubbie says that is has been his greatest honor to serve his country!
Old 06-27-2009, 09:05 PM   #12
BradyBz12
1340.63 miles too far from the Fort

Quote:
Ya, but don't they get a little miffed when you start grilling your steaks over the fire you started on the bar????
Not if you leave a big enough tip!
BradyBz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:30 PM   #13
FlaFortCampster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchpilot View Post
I really thought this thread was over with and answered and gave my husband the news... Then I came upon this bounty of advice and just gave him the update and he is hootin' and hollerin'! I didn't realize how excited he actually was at the prospect of sitting at a campsite talkin and grillin! Thank you so much for taking the time to help him (us) out---he is truly thrilled. He has already called one of his fellow squadron mates with the good news. He loves the idea of a man cave, because every pilot has their own "I love me" rooms where they keep all of their mememtos. I told him I would try and find some Mickey dice to hang from the awning! Thanks again for your help and my hubbie says that is has been his greatest honor to serve his country!
You are most welcomed. You will find the folks on this forum most helpful, a little crazy, sincere and quite friendly. I didn't know they could use a fire pit with the screen top, but Shan-man is always well informed, so that will make a great gathering spot for sure. Tell the guys to have a great time and you gals too. Who knows, this could be the start of a great tradition.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:07 PM   #14
churchpilot

Quote:
You are most welcomed. You will find the folks on this forum most helpful, a little crazy, sincere and quite friendly. I didn't know they could use a fire pit with the screen top, but Shan-man is always well informed, so that will make a great gathering spot for sure. Tell the guys to have a great time and you gals too. Who knows, this could be the start of a great tradition.
Thanks and I think that it might!
Old 06-29-2009, 02:40 PM   #15
medic9016
Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan-man View Post

We were there last week and ask at check-in and ask a security guard patrolling in his car. No open fires or fire pits allowed of any type.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: