Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2009, 03:40 PM   #1
Picabo
"Hi, my name is Picabo & I'm a Disboard-o-holic!!"

Double or 2 single strollers?

Our girls will be 2 1/2 and not quite 4 when we go to DW in December. I'm debating if we should rent a double stroller from Orlando Stroller Rental (it's about $85 for the week and it's a double jogger - delivered to our room) OR if we should bring 2 umbrella strollers from home. (Cost would be about $60 but then we have the hassle of taking them on the airplane, etc)

For the MOST part, we won't be splitting up. But there may be times when DH may sleep in and I may head early with the girls before he meets up with us. I know I can buy connectors for the 2 umbrella strollers and we'll be at the Poly so I wouldn't have to fold them up or anything to hop on, if I'm on my own.

I'm wondering what the pros and cons are of each scenerio. Honestly, I'm not sure how MUCH use I'd get out of the umbrella strollers at home - only reason I'd get them is for this trip. I don't want to take our Graco (single) or our Baby Trend Sit n Stand Deluxe (too bulky, too heavy, too hard to push). I feel like the double jogger with the rental would be more COMFY for the girls but then I stop to think - they are kids - if they are tired they'll sleep or be comfy anywhere, right?? It's only a diff of $25 so the money isn't the real issue - it's a matter of what's easier, more convenient.

Any thoughts or suggestions or words of wisdom from experience???

OH ps the umbrella stroller in question is THIS: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3420853

Picabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:33 PM   #2
luvsmickeymouse
Opt to Adopt!

My kids are grown now but I remember using 2 single umbrella strollers in the parks. In my opinion they are easier to get around with, and as far as the plane goes, you have the strollers for the jetway and the airport. They fold up easier for the Disney transportation. In and out of stores easier. As far as your husband sleeping in, you can take both kids to the park, let the older one walk until your husband can meet you with the other stroller. I think umbrella strollers are easier all around.
Register to remove

Old 06-26-2009, 04:38 PM   #3
mitsybella
Mouseketeer

When we went last year my two were 2 and 4, we took two strollers. It made it easier for getting on and off the buses, which you may do if you go to HS or AK, I was very tired after pushing 1 around all day, I can't imagine 2 in a stroller (although I prob would have had hubby to this ) it was also good because there may be some rides one can't go on and you can leave the stroller there for them and still wander around the park while you are waiting for them to be done and meet up later. I picked up a couple of used strollers at my local goodwill for $2-3 each cleaned them up really well and then did not worry if they got damaged. I did not want to take my really good strollers either plus they are not umbrella and would have been heavier to get on and off the bus.

mitsybella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 06:42 PM   #4
ireland_nicole
No brainer- the fairy wins it
Personally, I'm an on site girl

I really preferred the double, and have rented the one from Orlandostrollerrentals.* It manuvered like a dream, even though my kids were right at the weight limit.* Very easy to turn even one handed.* and a very comfortable ride for the kids.* Of equal importance is the canopy, it extended all the way over the front of the kids when we needed it too so it kept them out of the sun. I haven't tried the connectors, but I have heard that you have to keep your hands on both of the outside handles all the time, so it can get uncomfortable. Whatever you decide, you'll still have a great time!
Old 06-26-2009, 07:20 PM   #5
Monny2AE
DIS Veteran

We took 2 separate ones for my kids (ages 1 and 4) this past Jan and next time I'm bringing a lightweight double instead. My son walked sometimes and we ended up with one empty stroller lots of times. Plus it was a pain when we came off of rides and the CM's had moved all the strollers. It's hard enough sometimes to find one stroller let alone two. We didn't take buses often though because we drove to all the parks except Magic Kingdom.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:06 PM   #6
Rozzy
Mouseketeer

Thumbs up Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireland_nicole View Post
I really preferred the double, and have rented the one from Orlandostrollerrentals.* It manuvered like a dream, even though my kids were right at the weight limit.* Very easy to turn even one handed.* and a very comfortable ride for the kids.* Of equal importance is the canopy, it extended all the way over the front of the kids when we needed it too so it kept them out of the sun. I haven't tried the connectors, but I have heard that you have to keep your hands on both of the outside handles all the time, so it can get uncomfortable. Whatever you decide, you'll still have a great time!
Hi there,

I have been going back and forth about buying an inexpensive double stroller that meets my criteria and needs for my 20 month old and 10 month old. Nothing was under $100 and the other stroller rental companies I searched in the Disney area seemed to have ones that were a bit bulkier. I am so excited to learn about orlandostrollerrentals.com amd after doing a ton of research on the City Mini All Terrain Double that they rent out, and after reading plentiful testimonies, I am SOLD. I'll be reserving my double stroller with them right away!

Thanks for sharing,
Roz

33 days until we are at The Kingdom!!!
Rozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
Picabo
"Hi, my name is Picabo & I'm a Disboard-o-holic!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireland_nicole View Post
I'm so happy to read this as I've been contemplating using Orlando Stroller Rentals as well. I wasn't sure how "bulky" it'd be! But love the idea of them dropping it right off at the hotel for me! Glad to hear it was a good stroller for you! Can you tell me - did it have a cup holder by any chance?

Picabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:49 PM   #8
LoveBugs
Mouseketeer

We've done it both ways and on our most recent trip (2 months ago, with a newly-turned 4 and newly-turned 2 year old), we did 2 single strollers and overall preferred it.

It was nice with two singles to be able to split up. It was also easier to squeeze into tight places, like on the monorail when there would just be room for 1 stroller in there. It was also nice that they couldn't pick on each other and wake each other up If they were feeling like nice sisters, we pushed right next to each other and they held hands. When they got "grabby" about drinks or light toys, we separated. Also, sometimes older DD wanted to walk so sometimes we just took one out with us.

The negatives were that one adult couldn't take off as easily. In the past, DH would hightail it to get a FastPass on one ride while I pushed the double to another ride. Now, he has to take one with him. Or, I would go do a roller coaster and he would take the double but now when we do that, our older daughter has to walk.

Anyhow, we now have two single Inglesinas that rock. They have full canopies, full recline, good storage, easily removable snack trays, are not bulky and fold up single handedly. Looking forward to using them again in December!

Upcoming Trips:
Oct, 2014 - BLT
LoveBugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:10 PM   #9
bopper
Which way to the Hundred Acre Woods?
I have been in VMK since day 1 and am still playing!

Can you get two umbrella strollers that can link together?
for example, http://www.amazon.com/Prince-Lionhea.../dp/B000056J23

best of both worlds.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:10 PM   #10
AmyBWV99
It's a s'winter s'wonderland; you can freeze while you get tan.

We've done it both ways our kids right now are 21 months and 4 and a double stroller overall is easier for us when we're out all day.

We have had the luxury of driving meaning we can bring as many strollers as we care to, meaning 2 singles AND 1 double DH loves packing all that. So on the days we knew we'd be able to take 2 singles and they would be more comfortable since most singles are better than any double.

If we fly or there's any chance someone may be riding something alone or we're going for the Food & Winefest it's way too much of a pain to hold food, or drinks and push even the best of strollers. Trying to drag one stroller while pushing another while someone is hitting the restroom or waiting in narrow lines for food make the double worthwhile.

Those connectors just stink, you can't fit the connected strollers thru any doorways and generally way more trouble than they are worth.
92,93,94,95,96,97,98/April, July & Oct 99/May & Dec 00/Feb & May 01/Jan & Mar 02/Mar 03/Mar, May-June & July 04/July 05/Mar, July, Oct & Christmas-New Years 06-07/Oct 07/Mar, July & Oct 08 RFTT/Mar Gasparilla Marathon & 5k, Dec 09/Feb-Mar & Oct 10/Mar 11/Sept 12/Dec 13-Jan 14/May & Oct 14
Disneyland 76/Nov 99/ Nov 04
Magic July 99/Wonder May 01

AmyBWV99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:44 PM   #11
PrincessMom4
DVC member-SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyBWV99 View Post
We've done it both ways our kids right now are 21 months and 4 and a double stroller overall is easier for us when we're out all day.

We have had the luxury of driving meaning we can bring as many strollers as we care to, meaning 2 singles AND 1 double DH loves packing all that. So on the days we knew we'd be able to take 2 singles and they would be more comfortable since most singles are better than any double.

If we fly or there's any chance someone may be riding something alone or we're going for the Food & Winefest it's way too much of a pain to hold food, or drinks and push even the best of strollers. Trying to drag one stroller while pushing another while someone is hitting the restroom or waiting in narrow lines for food make the double worthwhile.

Those connectors just stink, you can't fit the connected strollers thru any doorways and generally way more trouble than they are worth.
I am trying to find one that will fit an almost 40lb -31month old.
ALK-Jambo-August 21-29/11; AKL-Kidani Villas-March 13-17/11;1st DVC trip-Kidani Villas-September 5-11/10; Space Ranger Mission - August 16-22/09;DS4th WDW birthday trip - March14 - 20/09;Pirate adventure-August 26-Sept 2/08;1st family trip-August 23-Sept 1/07
PrincessMom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:53 PM   #12
AmyBWV99
It's a s'winter s'wonderland; you can freeze while you get tan.

Our 4 year old is 40lbs and over 40" we use a Phil & Teds right now with doubles kit for WDW. The 21 month old is 27lbs and uses the doubles seat in back the front seat holds up to 55lbs. I believe the BJ rental from OSR will hold at least that per seat most of their doubles hold 100lbs total.

They both fit really well in our Aria double as well but it's a SBS, we had issues with them touching each other. DS #2 would maul DS#1 for snacks and cups nevermind that he had his own.
92,93,94,95,96,97,98/April, July & Oct 99/May & Dec 00/Feb & May 01/Jan & Mar 02/Mar 03/Mar, May-June & July 04/July 05/Mar, July, Oct & Christmas-New Years 06-07/Oct 07/Mar, July & Oct 08 RFTT/Mar Gasparilla Marathon & 5k, Dec 09/Feb-Mar & Oct 10/Mar 11/Sept 12/Dec 13-Jan 14/May & Oct 14
Disneyland 76/Nov 99/ Nov 04
Magic July 99/Wonder May 01

AmyBWV99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:25 AM   #13
vroomagain
Mouseketeer

We just bought two new umbrella strollers for our trip. After walking around the mall and having the kids fight with each other in their double tandem, we realized it was the only option to have a peaceful vacation.

However that cost us about $110 because we got more expensive strollers. We actually tried out the same stroller in Babies R Us and my daughter's butt sank in the seat and she is a skinnie minnie so we opted for a different one.

I love the two stroller idea with the connectors. My advice is if you go this route to try out the stroller first.

First Disney Trip 1/3-1/13/2010 Riverside/Coronado

vroomagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:57 AM   #14
mybabesuz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopper View Post
Can you get two umbrella strollers that can link together?
for example, http://www.amazon.com/Prince-Lionhea.../dp/B000056J23

best of both worlds.
They really don't work as well as I had hoped.
I linked two Macleran strollers and they were a pain to push.
We have always brought two singles.
Last time we ended up pushing an empty one around 80% of the time.
Finding two strollers parked and getting on and off the bus was a pain too.
Trying to carry a sleeping toddler and a stroller on the bus wasn't fun.
This time we are trying a double. DH can carry the stroller.
I'll let you know how it works out...
mybabesuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:12 PM   #15
Tiggs14
DIS Veteran

I'd rent the double stroller rather than buying two umbrella strollers. We currently own a double jogging stroller and I'm trying to decide if it's better to rent one while we're down there rather than transporting ours with us. I don't want anything to happen to it while it's in the hands of the airport employees but at the same time it seems a bit silly to rent something we already own!
Tiggs14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: