Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Collectors Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2010, 05:32 PM   #976
Cardsfann18
Cardinals and Disney fan for life!!!

I just bought a legit jumbo pin from fun-in-the-sun-florida and it was mint in the box, green list for sure!!!
Old 09-27-2010, 11:24 PM   #977
caimakale
Mouseketeer

So do the cast members actually accept scrapper pins? I've only purchased pins in the parks for me and my family and my girls have traded several times with cast members. It makes me sick to think that the pins we paid $6+ for may have been traded for rip-offs that may only be worth 50 cents. How common are lots (~20 pins) of truly official disney pins on ebay? What can one expect to pay for one of these lots? If I'm going to pay a ton of money on ebay for pins that are official, I would rather just spend my money in the parks on them and get exactly what we want.

I am inclined to stop trading them though because I don't want to get inferior pins. What to do...
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-29-2010, 02:34 PM   #978
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caimakale View Post
So do the cast members actually accept scrapper pins? I've only purchased pins in the parks for me and my family and my girls have traded several times with cast members. It makes me sick to think that the pins we paid $6+ for may have been traded for rip-offs that may only be worth 50 cents. How common are lots (~20 pins) of truly official disney pins on ebay? What can one expect to pay for one of these lots? If I'm going to pay a ton of money on ebay for pins that are official, I would rather just spend my money in the parks on them and get exactly what we want.

I am inclined to stop trading them though because I don't want to get inferior pins. What to do...
Most CM's don't know anything about scrappers actually so yes, they will take almost any pin in trade. I will not purchase the large lots anymore, but I do purchase lots of 20 and under, but only if the seller doesn't have a lot of 20 pin lots listed and only if they are on the green list. Its hard to say how much you can expect to pay for a lot, it varies based on seller and how many people are looking at that lot. I prefer now to purchase singles and I decide how much I want to pay for that certain pin and go from there.

I still trade, I'm just careful about it now and I will ask the CM to see the pin, if I feel like it might be a scrapper then I just give it back to the CM, you are not obligated to trade with CM's if you ask to see a pin. My best advice is just to learn what the tells are for scrappers (see page 1) and make your decisions based on that. Good luck with your decision.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:22 PM   #979
debranator
earless

Believe it or not...
some CM's..are getting better at spotting fakes!
The other day..while in downtown...
1 of the younger CM's that I knew....
[I trade a lot..and talk to them]...
called me over to show me that she actually spotted her first fake!
i had never seen a Sedesma pin before..
so..I told her to get it the heck off of her lanyard..and traded her for it...

as..I wanted it..it was an oddity..and such a blatant cheap imitation..
that only a blind person..and not even then...
would not notice it..
they are just painted..no shine....no enamel...
very obvious....
but...as proud as she was to have spotted it..
I did not remind her..that she did trade for it in the first place.
Speaking of lots....and...actually..ANYTHING that you buy on Ebay...
just verify..in writing from the seller if necessary...
that the pic. of the item..is the item you will get.
not a stock pic..or a grab bag....
but,actual pics of what you are buying.
a good seller will agree to this..whether there are 2 in her lot..or 100.
a garbage seller..will always use the same pics.
debranator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:30 PM   #980
daisy 'n donald
Mouseketeer

i saw quite a few pins on cm lanyards when we were there that were obviously not disney pins....they were much smaller and looked more like stickers than like pins....
dh had gotten one and tried to trade it (i was in the ladies room when all of this transpired..he was unaware that it was fake and i explained it to him after all this happened) and the cm he tried to trade it with wouldn't take it because it didn't say disney on the back...
we saw a lot like it later and he asked one cm if that was a real disney pin, she took it off of her lanyard, looked at it and realized it wasn't..
there were quite a few of them out there
'10 AllStarSports- 1year anniv!
'12 AllStarSports- babymoon
'14 CBR- baby's frist trip to wdw! 5 year anniv!

dh(38) me(35) :baby girl (1.5)

daisy 'n donald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:49 PM   #981
Bella_Tink
DIS Veteran

A friend of mine bought me a lot of 20 pins thru e-bay. I received the pins, and 2 of them had chipped paint! Now it makes me wonder if they are authentic pins. How can I spot the difference between scrappers and real pins?
Old 09-29-2010, 04:22 PM   #982
debranator
earless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella_Tink View Post
A friend of mine bought me a lot of 20 pins thru e-bay. I received the pins, and 2 of them had chipped paint! Now it makes me wonder if they are authentic pins. How can I spot the difference between scrappers and real pins?
You just did!
The really bad ones..you will be able to see instantly...
the really good ones..perhaps..we will never know.
and..if I do not know..it will not bother me.
I have handled thousands of pins..and have only had perhaps 10..that screamed fake.
Although..one thing that I noticed recently...is...
A lot of genuine Disney pins..are not perfect.
Which makes it harder to tell the diff.
I bought about 10 of the "not so scary party" pins at Disney last week..
and..2 of them....
should have been..."scrapped".
One..the paint was a touch off between the colors..
and the other..had missing paint...
a tiny bit....
If i had bought them on Ebay..
I may have questioned it..
so..if Disney keeps getting lax on its quality control....
It will be harder to tell...
which is the actual scrapped..
and which is real.
backing and all.
debranator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:39 PM   #983
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!

Quote:
Originally Posted by debranator View Post
Believe it or not...
some CM's..are getting better at spotting fakes!
The other day..while in downtown...
1 of the younger CM's that I knew....
[I trade a lot..and talk to them]...
called me over to show me that she actually spotted her first fake!
i had never seen a Sedesma pin before..
so..I told her to get it the heck off of her lanyard..and traded her for it...

as..I wanted it..it was an oddity..and such a blatant cheap imitation..
that only a blind person..and not even then...
would not notice it..
they are just painted..no shine....no enamel...
very obvious....
but...as proud as she was to have spotted it..
I did not remind her..that she did trade for it in the first place.
Speaking of lots....and...actually..ANYTHING that you buy on Ebay...
just verify..in writing from the seller if necessary...
that the pic. of the item..is the item you will get.
not a stock pic..or a grab bag....
but,actual pics of what you are buying.
a good seller will agree to this..whether there are 2 in her lot..or 100.
a garbage seller..will always use the same pics.
I have a few Sedesma pins as well, some because they Meg (Hercules) and she is hard to find, some because the kids traded for them, Sedesma pins are smaller and I collect mini pins so the kids would trade and then give me the pin so I kept them.

fyi, in my eBay listings I always state that the photos used in the listing are the photos of the actual pin you will receive, I also state that I do not deal with scrappers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella_Tink View Post
Well I've had "good" pins that had missing pieces of paint, are there other problems with those pins? On page 1 of this thread you will find links to more information regarding how to tell scrappers apart.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:52 AM   #984
Bella_Tink
DIS Veteran

I was sent a Mickey and Minnie pin, and Minnie's hand wasn't painted at all! I think it's a scrapper. I don't know the name of the e-bay seller, so I can't check out his/her reviews. I'm very new to pin collecting, so I really don't know what to look for. I'm hoping I have some "good" pins, otherwise, I feel so bad for my friend that spent money on "junk" pins.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:31 PM   #985
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!

I had a Goofy pin, he was dressed in a tux, the pin was legit but the pants section had completely fallen out. In that case it was not a scrapper simply a broken pin...I got it in a lot I bought in eBay before I knew about scrappers.........

You can go to pinpics.com and use the search function to try to find your pin to see if there are any scrappers alerts listed.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:37 PM   #986
quandrea
DIS Veteran

I just bought a lot from shannon_l_h off ebay. Can;t find her on the list. Did I make a mistake or will everything be okay. Bought a big lot--new to this.
quandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:06 PM   #987
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quandrea View Post
I just bought a lot from shannon_l_h off ebay. Can;t find her on the list. Did I make a mistake or will everything be okay. Bought a big lot--new to this.
Did you buy one of the lots of 100 they have up? I think you made a mistake to be honest, notice the auction doesn't mention scrappers or make any guarantees of authenticity. Notice also that the seller states very clearly that you may or may not receive pins in the photo. Also note the seller offers free shipping and is only asking $79.99 (and is allowing offers to be made) for a lot of 100 pins, that means the seller is making $.80 cents per pin, those are very likely to be scrappers. Also, if you look at her feedback, she's had 11 negatives in the past 12 months, only ONE of those is for something other then pins, there are 9 that clearly state counterfiet pins were received. I would contact the seller and let them know you are not happy and want a refund, or if you haven't paid yet simply don't. Contact her and tell her you are not paying for fake items, if she argues you can let eBay know you suspect her pins are counterfiet and that's why you won't pay.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:27 AM   #988
quandrea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post
Did you buy one of the lots of 100 they have up? I think you made a mistake to be honest, notice the auction doesn't mention scrappers or make any guarantees of authenticity. Notice also that the seller states very clearly that you may or may not receive pins in the photo. Also note the seller offers free shipping and is only asking $79.99 (and is allowing offers to be made) for a lot of 100 pins, that means the seller is making $.80 cents per pin, those are very likely to be scrappers. Also, if you look at her feedback, she's had 11 negatives in the past 12 months, only ONE of those is for something other then pins, there are 9 that clearly state counterfiet pins were received. I would contact the seller and let them know you are not happy and want a refund, or if you haven't paid yet simply don't. Contact her and tell her you are not paying for fake items, if she argues you can let eBay know you suspect her pins are counterfiet and that's why you won't pay.
Thanks for getting back to me. I didn't do any research and am paying for it. I'm glad I found this thread. I'll probably just let this one go and follow the advice I've read here from now on. Not interested in a fight over the computer with someone I know nothing about.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:03 PM   #989
quandrea
DIS Veteran

Are these sellers any good? Cool-disney (only sells five pins per lot). Sunshinesunwear, gold747, no1disneyqueen, 2busy2sleep, 123goinggoinggone, dizninut? I've noticed on ebay that even some of the red listed sellers have 100% positive feedback. How can I protect myself?
Old 10-14-2010, 02:40 PM   #990
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!

Feedback is not a good way to judge a seller on eBay, personal experience is. Please use the listed sellers on page 1 and please do not use the red listed sellers. They are red listed because some of us on this thread have had personal experience with them, you don't have to read all 66 pages of the thread, you can click on the links in page 1 to see why people are listed as they are.
Unfortunately there are too many pin buyers on eBay that simply don't know what scrappers even are and those are how people get the good feedback.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: