Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Collectors Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2010, 03:53 PM   #856
petals
Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petals View Post
I got 21 pins from sleepys_emporium the other day and definately at least 4 of them are scrappers. They have very wobbly pin points like the point is about to fall off.. There is a border around the mickey heads on the newer pins which pinpics says is a sign of a scrapper and one of the pin points is bent to a 45 degree angle! Paint chipping off of fozzie's eyebrow on another pin
Sleepys_emporium emailed me and offered a replacement for the damaged pins
petals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:32 PM   #857
MountNittany
Why is Tom Morrow going to the Moon? He has enough on Saturn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by petals View Post
I got 21 pins from sleepys_emporium the other day and definately at least 4 of them are scrappers. They have very wobbly pin points like the point is about to fall off.. There is a border around the mickey heads on the newer pins which pinpics says is a sign of a scrapper and one of the pin points is bent to a 45 degree angle! Paint chipping off of fozzie's eyebrow on another pin
A few scrappers will be let through due to the high quantity they sell... They offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee, and I see in one of your later posts that you got a refund for the 4 scrappers you found.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrir58 View Post
Got my Sleepys_Emporium order and I keep trying to find a scrapper in the bunch... and I can honestly say that if there is one, it's well hidden. Nothing obvious, not a flaw, held pins of similar size that I bought in Disney up to each pin and the weight seems good, colors are vibrant, I keep checking them over...
is this too good be true? If so, I don't really care, I loved the pins I got so there's no plan on trading them anyway... just curious, I've heard great things about them but the last post has me thinking I'm blinded by the shiny goodness lol.

Okay, I'm editing this because I found 1 pin... I don't think it's a scrapper, but I think it was poorly stored by a previous owner. It looks some child was bored and "carved" a small, very light square on the front of the pin(it really had to be manually done, not an error, it has that "carving words in my school desk" style)
That's great! I think they possibly could be 100% real. There's always a possibility that you found a few really good looking scrappers, so you can hardly tell the difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmadebby View Post
I am totally confused now Ordered Disney Pins in a lot before I knew about scrappers and then when I heard about scrappers I was directed to this thread. I bought 1 lot from a red listed seller so thought I wuld just end them back for a refund and I bought 1 lot from a seller I first thought was a green seller but now I know I mixed up the sellers name. Anyway went to dizpins not wanted listed and top 10 list and did not see a single pin that I received from either seller. So my question is should I assume these pins are all good or bad, I can't tell the difference from the ones I bought on ebay and the ones my grandson has purchased at WDW. Leaving Monday the 19th for WDW and don't kow what to do.
Even some of the scrapper pins are not listed on dizpins and pinpics. There are so many scrapped pins that they can't keep up.

Have fun in Disney tomorrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquafamily View Post
New to pin collecting and started with only DCL pins from ebay..my question is does anyone know of dcl pins being scrappers or is this isolated to wdw and wdl pins??
Any pin that is made has a possibility of being scrapped. Most of the pins they decide to scrap, though, are simple pins without any extra elements (pin on pin, slider, spinner, flocked, etc) but they do scrap some of those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyWitch View Post
Just found this board today...

I just wanted some pins to decorate my backpack and maybe trade a few with some kids/CMs when I visit the Mouse next year. I even found a Mr. and Mrs. Pin with ears that I wanted to give to the first "Just Married" couple I saw to be a nice person!

Background: I accidentally bought about, oh, 500 pins off of ebay this past month (I didn't realize I'd win!!). Most of the pins came from one of your red-listed sellers so I'm betting that they're scrappers. No oily smell, but they did come directly from china. Does this mean I cannot trade them when I go to WDW? Will the CMs be able to say, "Hey...this one is ok, but we can't take that one."?
They will take any pins, but us collectors prefer there to be real pins on the lanyards for everyone. The red list doesn't necessarily mean that the pins are scrappers, but those sellers have been reported to us as selling scrappers in the past.
[/quote]So...here's the bonus question: What do I do with these things? There are some which I actually do like, even if they turn out to be not sanctioned. They go into my pin bag, but what about the ones I want to trade?[/QUOTE]
Go with your gut. If you think they are fake, we ask you to please keep them, give them as gifts, or make them into magnets as one Diser suggested.

“Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, the Magic Kingdom proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of nighttime magic and imagination in thousands of sparkling lights and electrosynthomagnetic musical sounds . . . the ‘Main Street Electrical Parade!’”
Prevent scrapper pins from ever getting on cast member lanyards - Please read this thread about buying pins from eBay
My PinPics Name - psu52545
LET'S GO PENS!
MountNittany is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-18-2010, 09:01 PM   #858
AmyPond
DIS Veteran

I'm pretty new to pins. I've never traded before. I've purchased a few from ebay before and then some in the parks. They aren't ones I want to trade but I'm wondering if I've ever purchased a scapper without realizing it. If I were to post photos, think anyone would be able to tell if they were real or not? I suppose it doesn't really matter. I bought them because I like them and don't plan on trading.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:53 AM   #859
nym4588
Mouseketeer

I would like to recommend mollyannacoleman for the green list. I had a really fantastic transaction with her. I purchased a POTC 35th Anniversary LE of 1500 from her. It came within a week of payment and was on the original backer. I looked through her other sales and didn't notice any "lots." She sells a good mix including rack pins, LE's and starter kits. Nothing under 7.95.

I also had a good experience with sellandship. I bid on and won a Donald Duck POTC LE of 800 pin...paid over $20 for it. It didn't come on the backer but I compared it to pinpics and I am satisfied that it's authentic. He (she?) also sells a lot of non-pin Disney collectibles. Most of the pins are open for bidding and not "buy it now." According to their Ebay page, the seller is located in Orlando.

Last edited by nym4588; 07-19-2010 at 02:08 AM.
nym4588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:58 PM   #860
MountNittany

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyPond View Post
I'm pretty new to pins. I've never traded before. I've purchased a few from ebay before and then some in the parks. They aren't ones I want to trade but I'm wondering if I've ever purchased a scapper without realizing it. If I were to post photos, think anyone would be able to tell if they were real or not? I suppose it doesn't really matter. I bought them because I like them and don't plan on trading.
If you can hit the flower button on your camera (or whatever close up is) and get a good picture of the backstamp, and even a decent picture of the front, we would have a good idea. There is no way to be certain every time, especially without holding the pin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nym4588 View Post
I would like to recommend mollyannacoleman for the green list. I had a really fantastic transaction with her. I purchased a POTC 35th Anniversary LE of 1500 from her. It came within a week of payment and was on the original backer. I looked through her other sales and didn't notice any "lots." She sells a good mix including rack pins, LE's and starter kits. Nothing under 7.95.

I also had a good experience with sellandship. I bid on and won a Donald Duck POTC LE of 800 pin...paid over $20 for it. It didn't come on the backer but I compared it to pinpics and I am satisfied that it's authentic. He (she?) also sells a lot of non-pin Disney collectibles. Most of the pins are open for bidding and not "buy it now." According to their Ebay page, the seller is located in Orlando.
I'll add both to the list . Thanks

“Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, the Magic Kingdom proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of nighttime magic and imagination in thousands of sparkling lights and electrosynthomagnetic musical sounds . . . the ‘Main Street Electrical Parade!’”
Prevent scrapper pins from ever getting on cast member lanyards - Please read this thread about buying pins from eBay
LET'S GO PENS!
Old 07-19-2010, 05:21 PM   #861
AmyPond
DIS Veteran

Cool. Maybe later or tomorrow I'll try to get good photos of a couple I'm not sure about. Thanks.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:44 PM   #862
daisy 'n donald
Mouseketeer

i just won 2 lots from sleepys emporium....
not like we need more traders, but they had a donald lot up (dh's fave) and a villains lot up (all of a sudden i want villains)
i'm curious as to what i'll get! but i've heard good things about them, and i'm not too worried about getting scrapers, and if we do, not a prob since dh likes donald.....
'10 AllStarSports- 1year anniv!
'12 AllStarSports- babymoon
'14 CBR- baby's frist trip to wdw! 5 year anniv!

dh(38) me(35) :baby girl (1.5)

daisy 'n donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:07 AM   #863
Running_Bell
Mouseketeer

Is anyone familiar with the ebay seller elizabethturner? They have many pins and pin lots for sale, but I didn't see them listed on any of the lists. I am looking to purchase some for November.

Thanks,

Returning summer 2014 - FW
August 2013 - Boardwalk & FW
Nov 2010 - Pop & FW
Oct 2009 - FW
Sept 2007 - FW
Sept 2005 - POR & FW
Sept 1997 -All Star Sports
Running_Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:25 PM   #864
MountNittany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Bell View Post
Is anyone familiar with the ebay seller elizabethturner? They have many pins and pin lots for sale, but I didn't see them listed on any of the lists. I am looking to purchase some for November.

Thanks,
Always be cautious with lots. I also see that she sells WDI ID Badges, which are scrapped a lot. Can't make a definite call though.

LET'S GO PENS!
Old 07-20-2010, 05:26 PM   #865
rageahol
Earning My Ears

423disneypinfreak scrappers

Wanted to get some pins before the trip, went with a seller with lots of great feedback, 100 pins, seller says that all the pins were purchased from Disney or traded for in Disney, about 30 are guaranteed scrappers, and pretty obvious. Most of the rest are on the suspect list, and you would have to assume that they are too. 1 or 2 pins that are real and 4 or 5 that if they are fake, are really good fakes. Seller: 423disneypinfreak
rageahol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:09 PM   #866
Broncobilly83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Bell View Post

Thanks,
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountNittany View Post
Always be cautious with lots. I also see that she sells WDI ID Badges, which are scrapped a lot. Can't make a definite call though.
I can not find any auctions by them listed?

Also, before you do sellandship as a good seller, they too had a lot of the WDI ID Badges, loose and off card, 4-5 of each pin, and they still have even more now, which seems odd for a LE 300 pin run. I got a couple when I got my wedding cake topper from them a couple of months ago, and when I asked about scrappers, since one had it's pin loose, they took offense to the question when I asked was it meant to be loose like that and could I exchange it
11/07/12-11/13/12 - Anniversary/Birthday, Wilderness Lodge Club Level
11/12/14-11/18/12 - Anniversary/Birthday/Christmas, Wilderness Lodge

Broncobilly83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:18 PM   #867
AmyPond
DIS Veteran

What is a WDI ID badge?
Old 07-20-2010, 08:14 PM   #868
MountNittany

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyPond View Post
What is a WDI ID badge?
http://pinpics.com/cgi-bin/group.cgi?group=4256

Thanks for the info Bronco, I'll put them on orange

LET'S GO PENS!
Old 07-20-2010, 09:33 PM   #869
AmyPond
DIS Veteran

Ooh! I should have figured that out. I actually have one of those. My friend got it for me when she was out in California and at the Imagineering store.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:14 AM   #870
daisy 'n donald
Mouseketeer

just got my pins from sleepy's emporium today
i had got the 12 pin lot of donald and a 12 pin lot of villains
as far as i can tell, all 24 are legit non scrapper pins....
there are some pretty cool rack pins in the lot too!
i'm tempted to get more, but, i think i'm going to wait until we go and come back, just so i can see what i trade for....

so, so far this green list of people have worked out great for me!
i am very happy with my pins from pinderlla's castle and sleepy's emporium!

thanks!
'10 AllStarSports- 1year anniv!
'12 AllStarSports- babymoon
'14 CBR- baby's frist trip to wdw! 5 year anniv!

dh(38) me(35) :baby girl (1.5)

daisy 'n donald is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: