Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Collectors Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2010, 12:37 PM   #841
onnawufei
The Girl With the Ninja Turtle Tattoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by horselover View Post
Another quick update. I received my 4 new replacement pins from sleepys_emporium today. They all look great. I even received some of the hidden mickey fruit pins which I happen to love. Despite the fact I did receive some scrappers I would buy from them again. They were very responsive to fixing the problem & very apologetic. I already have my eye on a couple more pins from their site. Thanks to all on this thread for the valueable advice.
This is really great to hear. I love their payment/shipping policy so I've ordered from them a couple of times already and am bidding on a couple of other pins now. I hadn't even noticed this part of the forum, so I had no idea there was a list of good and bad sellers. Now I need to see if I've bought any from the bad sellers.
Vacationed at POFQ October 2010
Vacationed at POFQ December 2011
Vacationed at POR October 2012
Vacationing at POR October 2013

I have a camera, and I know how to use it! ... Usually.

My WDW Flickr Collection
onnawufei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:28 PM   #842
MountNittany
Why is Tom Morrow going to the Moon? He has enough on Saturn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maburke View Post
Thanks. I also think it would be good to have a clear explanation of what we mean by "scrapper." I saw one at one of the links included here, but tell me if you think this is right:

There are probably 3 different things we mean when we say "scrapper":

1) Over-runs. The factories in China that make the pins for Disney probably have to run many more pins than Disney orders in order to get enough pins past quality control. For example, say Disney orders 5,000 of a pin. The factory makes 7,000 in order to be sure to get 5,000 good ones. Disney gets those 5,000 good ones, and some of the rest are probably good too. If they are sold to other buyers, they will be totally indistinguishable from the ones sold to Disney. The only way to avoid buying these is not to buy from someone who clearly gets them or ships to you directly from China.

2) True "scrappers" or quality rejects. These are the ones resulting from the process above that did not pass quality control. Again, they get on the market via someone shipping straight from China, which is why it is important NOT to buy from someone who ships straight from China. (Some sellers say right in their ebay shipping info that that's what they do!) You will not be able to tell ahead of time whether the quality will be good or bad, even if you didn't care about them not being authorized by Disney.

3) Fakes, or counterfeits. I don't think these are even worthy of the (dubious) name scrapper. These are made by a different factory, who are trying to copy the design of the authorized pin. These may have the "tells" we are talking about -- mickey head design that doesn't go to the edge of the pin, or the stamp is not the same as the original (like the one I had that said 4 of 6 instead of 4 of 5) or the hidden mickey is smaller or even in a different place from the original. These can sometimes be more easily spotted as fakes by other traders or sharp CMs. Therefore, they are worth less.

So, if you are thinking about buying those big cheap lots, and think you don't mind if you get the first category, please keep in mind that you are much more likely to get the third category, which are really fouling the stream of pin-trading. Sorry, off soap-box. (What's that they say about reformed smokers? Yes, I did buy my first set of traders in a big lot from someone on the red list.)

Please correct and improve my explanation, everybody.

Thanks,
Meghan
Also, even some of the factories that manufacture the real pins intentionally over-run pins well past the quota, and use lesser materials for these extra pins. (please correct me if I'm wrong with this one also.)

“Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, the Magic Kingdom proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of nighttime magic and imagination in thousands of sparkling lights and electrosynthomagnetic musical sounds . . . the ‘Main Street Electrical Parade!’”
Prevent scrapper pins from ever getting on cast member lanyards - Please read this thread about buying pins from eBay
My PinPics Name - psu52545
LET'S GO PENS!
MountNittany is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-15-2010, 03:24 PM   #843
horselover
I've been bitten by the travel bug & there is no cure.

I'm back again! Has anyone bought pins from seller 123goinggoinggone? He or she has an 8 pin complete set of carousel horses I'd love to have. Thanks for any feedback. I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad I've discovered this thread. It's makes me want to buy more pins!
Old 07-15-2010, 03:38 PM   #844
kdm0516
Mouseketeer

I am so glad I found this thread. A couple weeks ago I almost bought a lot from ebay but decided to wait since we aren't going to Disney for 3 months. So I wrote down some of the great sellers to buy from soon.

My question is: how do you know when you are trading at Disney World to the CM's that those pins aren't scrappers that were traded to them? With all the scrappers out there you would think you would more likely get that then an Official Disney pin

Love the thread. Thanks for everyone that has taken the time
kdm0516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:14 PM   #845
blockscrappers
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdm0516 View Post
I am so glad I found this thread. A couple weeks ago I almost bought a lot from ebay but decided to wait since we aren't going to Disney for 3 months. So I wrote down some of the great sellers to buy from soon.

My question is: how do you know when you are trading at Disney World to the CM's that those pins aren't scrappers that were traded to them? With all the scrappers out there you would think you would more likely get that then an Official Disney pin

Try to educate yourself by reading this thread and looking at pinpics.com to learn what pins are commonly "scrapped". Another good site to look at is dizpins.com and look at their conterfeit thread. Hope this helps a little.
P.S. I would avoid the most scrapped pins unless you get good at spotting "scrappers"
blockscrappers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:16 PM   #846
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Quote:
I'm back again! Has anyone bought pins from seller 123goinggoinggone? He or she has an 8 pin complete set of carousel horses I'd love to have. Thanks for any feedback. I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad I've discovered this thread. It's makes me want to buy more pins!
No, sorry I haven't. I love those horses tho, I wish I had an extra set for you but I only have a few extras not all of them.

Quote:

How do you know? You don't.....it's a chance you take to pin trade.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:13 PM   #847
MountNittany
Why is Tom Morrow going to the Moon? He has enough on Saturn...

Quote:
I notice a lot of known scrappers on her lists, and I know that the LE carousel horses are scrapped. Be careful with her. Also, she sells lots, so I'd be more careful.
Quote:

You don't. When I'm trading with CM's, I try to forget about scrappers, and just trade for pins I want. If I get a few scrappers, oh well.

“Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, the Magic Kingdom proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of nighttime magic and imagination in thousands of sparkling lights and electrosynthomagnetic musical sounds . . . the ‘Main Street Electrical Parade!’”
Prevent scrapper pins from ever getting on cast member lanyards - Please read this thread about buying pins from eBay
My PinPics Name - psu52545
LET'S GO PENS!
MountNittany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:16 AM   #848
horselover
I've been bitten by the travel bug & there is no cure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountNittany View Post
I notice a lot of known scrappers on her lists, and I know that the LE carousel horses are scrapped. Be careful with her. Also, she sells lots, so I'd be more careful.
Thank you!
Old 07-16-2010, 01:57 PM   #849
DisneyRunner2009
DIS Veteran

Another trick I've learned when using ebay, is to look at feedback left as a buyer. Then you are able to tell if the pins you are bidding on are scrappers. Some ebay sellers by huge lots from known scrapper dealers. Then turn around and sell them to us.
6/83 offsite, 6/05 POP, 6/06 POP, 8/07 POR, 8/08 CSR/POFQ, 3/09 ASMu PHM, 8/09 ASMu Free DDP, 8/10 POR/ASMu Free DDP, 8/11 POP Free QSDP, 7/12 POR, 9/12 ASMu TOT10Miler, 11/12 POR/ASSp, 8/13 ASSp/POFQ, 9/13 POP, 8/14 CSR, Hoping 2/2015 POFQ/POR GSC

DisneyRunner2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:15 PM   #850
petals
Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!

I got 21 pins from sleepys_emporium the other day and definately at least 4 of them are scrappers. They have very wobbly pin points like the point is about to fall off.. There is a border around the mickey heads on the newer pins which pinpics says is a sign of a scrapper and one of the pin points is bent to a 45 degree angle! Paint chipping off of fozzie's eyebrow on another pin
petals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:31 PM   #851
fenrir58
Mouseketeer

Got my Sleepys_Emporium order and I keep trying to find a scrapper in the bunch... and I can honestly say that if there is one, it's well hidden. Nothing obvious, not a flaw, held pins of similar size that I bought in Disney up to each pin and the weight seems good, colors are vibrant, I keep checking them over...
is this too good be true? If so, I don't really care, I loved the pins I got so there's no plan on trading them anyway... just curious, I've heard great things about them but the last post has me thinking I'm blinded by the shiny goodness lol.

Okay, I'm editing this because I found 1 pin... I don't think it's a scrapper, but I think it was poorly stored by a previous owner. It looks some child was bored and "carved" a small, very light square on the front of the pin(it really had to be manually done, not an error, it has that "carving words in my school desk" style)

Last edited by fenrir58; 07-17-2010 at 09:37 PM.
fenrir58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:07 AM   #852
grandmadebby
Mouseketeer

I am totally confused now Ordered Disney Pins in a lot before I knew about scrappers and then when I heard about scrappers I was directed to this thread. I bought 1 lot from a red listed seller so thought I wuld just end them back for a refund and I bought 1 lot from a seller I first thought was a green seller but now I know I mixed up the sellers name. Anyway went to dizpins not wanted listed and top 10 list and did not see a single pin that I received from either seller. So my question is should I assume these pins are all good or bad, I can't tell the difference from the ones I bought on ebay and the ones my grandson has purchased at WDW. Leaving Monday the 19th for WDW and don't kow what to do.
grandmadebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:21 AM   #853
aquafamily
Earning My Ears

Question dcl pins - possible scrappers???

New to pin collecting and started with only DCL pins from ebay..my question is does anyone know of dcl pins being scrappers or is this isolated to wdw and wdl pins??
aquafamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:08 AM   #854
DisneyWitch
Mouseketeer

Wish I found you guys before!

Just found this board today...

I just wanted some pins to decorate my backpack and maybe trade a few with some kids/CMs when I visit the Mouse next year. I even found a Mr. and Mrs. Pin with ears that I wanted to give to the first "Just Married" couple I saw to be a nice person!

Background: I accidentally bought about, oh, 500 pins off of ebay this past month (I didn't realize I'd win!!). Most of the pins came from one of your red-listed sellers so I'm betting that they're scrappers. No oily smell, but they did come directly from china. Does this mean I cannot trade them when I go to WDW? Will the CMs be able to say, "Hey...this one is ok, but we can't take that one."?

As a pin novice I want to do the right thing, but I'm awfully confused.

So...here's the bonus question: What do I do with these things? There are some which I actually do like, even if they turn out to be not sanctioned. They go into my pin bag, but what about the ones I want to trade?

DisneyWitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:17 PM   #855
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmadebby View Post
I am totally confused now Ordered Disney Pins in a lot before I knew about scrappers and then when I heard about scrappers I was directed to this thread. I bought 1 lot from a red listed seller so thought I wuld just end them back for a refund and I bought 1 lot from a seller I first thought was a green seller but now I know I mixed up the sellers name. Anyway went to dizpins not wanted listed and top 10 list and did not see a single pin that I received from either seller. So my question is should I assume these pins are all good or bad, I can't tell the difference from the ones I bought on ebay and the ones my grandson has purchased at WDW. Leaving Monday the 19th for WDW and don't kow what to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquafamily View Post
New to pin collecting and started with only DCL pins from ebay..my question is does anyone know of dcl pins being scrappers or is this isolated to wdw and wdl pins??
Go to pinpics.com and research the pins individually, use the search funtion on the left, on the first page scroll down and hit continue, on the second page scroll down to the box at the bottom (no need to check any buttons or even look at the choices) and enter your search field and press search, this will bring up a ton of pins with your search parameters and you can view each pin to check for scrapper warnings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyWitch View Post
Just found this board today...

I just wanted some pins to decorate my backpack and maybe trade a few with some kids/CMs when I visit the Mouse next year. I even found a Mr. and Mrs. Pin with ears that I wanted to give to the first "Just Married" couple I saw to be a nice person!

Background: I accidentally bought about, oh, 500 pins off of ebay this past month (I didn't realize I'd win!!). Most of the pins came from one of your red-listed sellers so I'm betting that they're scrappers. No oily smell, but they did come directly from china. Does this mean I cannot trade them when I go to WDW? Will the CMs be able to say, "Hey...this one is ok, but we can't take that one."?

As a pin novice I want to do the right thing, but I'm awfully confused.

So...here's the bonus question: What do I do with these things? There are some which I actually do like, even if they turn out to be not sanctioned. They go into my pin bag, but what about the ones I want to trade?
You can trade them BUT then you are passing scrappers around, please consider returning them to the seller and using our green listed sellers instead.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: