Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Collectors Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2010, 05:42 PM   #616
blockscrappers
Mouseketeer

Sorry correct that is thelionqueen.
blockscrappers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:23 PM   #617
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockscrappers View Post
Say, Pix
need some encouragement here. Trying to get people to understand the issue, sometimes is hard.....
Tell me that we can make a difference.
Well I'd like to think that this thread has made a difference in some way......it's hard to say but I believe in this so I'll keep posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angierae View Post
I have to wonder, though - if Disney is upset about the scrappers, why do they continue to be complicit in it by allowing CM trades? If they were upset about this/losing money/feeling cheated/etc, wouldn't they just stop the CM trading so there'd be less of it going on, and less of a market for the scrapper pins?

It just seems to me that Disney could fix most of this by just saying "hey, nice job, you ruined it." Or at least making the CM's only give out good pins, and once they are gone, they are gone. (Then the CM's could pocket their pins they get from people, and then they could be sorted somehow and the scrappers destroyed.) But they don't, they just trade the scrappers back out there as if they don't care about it at all.

Now, I won't willingly trade scrappers, but it seems to me if Disney isn't doing anything about it, then why all the onus on individuals to worry about it?
I agree with you, they should be doing something about it but it's really hard. Scrappers are sooooooooo prevalent that it's almost impossible. I for one, would LOVE to work for Disney sorting thru good/bad pins. I think that would be a fun job for someone like me, I love pins, heck they could mail them to me and I'd do it at home on my own time! LOL

Quote:
I feel responsible in that I don't want to contribute by buying from scrappers and thus making them want to sell even more. I also feel that if i ensure that I purchase good pins and trade them with CMs then at least there will be good pins in circulation if you will. According to Lionqueen she has had battles with DIsney legal and they have auctually closed some of the larger scrappers down. I see your point about Disney making sure that CMs get rid of bad pins. I think if enough of us speak out about this issue to both Disney and Ebay maybe they will do something about it. I'm glad to hear that you wouldn't knowingly trade scrappers it shows intregrity.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-21-2010, 10:13 PM   #618
Spiffie
Wishing to be in my happy place!!

Quote:
I agree with you, they should be doing something about it but it's really hard. Scrappers are sooooooooo prevalent that it's almost impossible. I for one, would LOVE to work for Disney sorting thru good/bad pins. I think that would be a fun job for someone like me, I love pins, heck they could mail them to me and I'd do it at home on my own time! LOL
Well, unfortunately, I think some of the issue is that scrappers are becoming better and better looking. They are not always easy to spot right off and some CM don't collect pins themselves, so they don't really know what to look for to begin with.

I have a return in progress at the moment with an eBayer who sold me 40 counterfit pins. I looked them over and over and maybe 6 of them were genuine pins, but the giveaway? The backs, while shaped like Mickey heads, were very flimsy and none said Disney on the back. I could almost roll them into a little ball between my fingers. While he assured me that they were all traded for and received at the parks, they were all - everyone of them - on the scrapper lists! So, he agreed to give me my money back and once he has done so, I will post his name for a warning. He had 100% positive feedback, too.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:45 AM   #619
Broncobilly83
DIS Veteran

I need help. I recently won a bunch of pins from the same seller who we are getting our cake topper from (Lenox Cinderella's Castle). I received the pins this morning, and 2 of the 6 pins (all of these are Imagineer Badges) came on card backs and 4 of them came in the little plastic baggies known for Scrappers. With that in mind, this is one of the 4 that I got without a card back

http://pinpics.com/cgi-bin/pin.cgi?pin=73509

It looks perfect, but that baggie throws doubt on the items. Should I be concerned, as he seems to only have 4 or 5 of each pin he is selling, so if it was a scrapper, would he not have 10s or 100s of them?

For those wondering, the seller is sellandship, which is an outlet site out of Windermere
11/07/12-11/13/12 - Anniversary/Birthday, Wilderness Lodge Club Level
11/12/14-11/18/12 - Anniversary/Birthday/Christmas, Wilderness Lodge

Broncobilly83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:56 PM   #620
blockscrappers
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffie View Post
Well, unfortunately, I think some of the issue is that scrappers are becoming better and better looking. They are not always easy to spot right off and some CM don't collect pins themselves, so they don't really know what to look for to begin with.

I have a return in progress at the moment with an eBayer who sold me 40 counterfit pins. I looked them over and over and maybe 6 of them were genuine pins, but the giveaway? The backs, while shaped like Mickey heads, were very flimsy and none said Disney on the back. I could almost roll them into a little ball between my fingers. While he assured me that they were all traded for and received at the parks, they were all - everyone of them - on the scrapper lists! So, he agreed to give me my money back and once he has done so, I will post his name for a warning. He had 100% positive feedback, too.
I know what you mean about the positive feedback but as I've learned from the experts here it doesn't mean a whole lot because some of the people that buys pins from them can't tell the difference and some just don't care as long as they are "tradable", cheap and are shipped to them fast. I applaude your stance it is people like you who will make it better for everyone including me. Thank you!
Old 04-22-2010, 02:57 PM   #621
blockscrappers
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I know what you mean about the positive feedback but as I've learned from the experts here it doesn't mean a whole lot because some of the people that buys pins from them can't tell the difference and some just don't care as long as they are "tradable", cheap and are shipped to them fast. I applaude your stance it is people like you who will make it better for everyone including me. Thank you!
Please explain about the backs - did you mean the back of the pins didn't say Disney or the backs themselves - Thanks!
Old 04-22-2010, 03:01 PM   #622
blockscrappers
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post
Well I'd like to think that this thread has made a difference in some way......it's hard to say but I believe in this so I'll keep posting.

Well Spiffie just returned some "scrappers" so that's a good sign - Yahoo!
Onward and forward.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:40 PM   #623
Spiffie
Wishing to be in my happy place!!

Quote:
Please explain about the backs - did you mean the back of the pins didn't say Disney or the backs themselves - Thanks!
The black mickey head shaped backs also have the Disney copyright on them. Every pin I have purchased (and all of mine have come from the WDW at this point) have a black back that has the Disney copyright on it. None of these backs did and were made from a much different type of rubber/plastic. And they were much smaller in size. I compared them to mystery pins, boxed sets, individual carded pins, etc. Even the spare package of backs that I bought in WDW still have the copyright on them. So, I am 99.9% positive that these pins were fakes.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:22 AM   #624
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

I have some of the back without the Disney copyright, they are flimsier then the ones that have the copyright but they work fine. For me that's not an indication of a scrapper. It's the pin itself that is.

Scrappers are absolutely getting better, I have a few that look almost exactly like the real thing. It does get harder and harder to tell the difference.

Broncobilly, I personally use the baggies to carry my pins around, when I list some pins on eBay (hopefully this weekend) I will put them in the baggies to ship them. My pins are not scrappers. The baggies help protect the pins so i will use them.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:11 AM   #625
blockscrappers
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post
I have some of the back without the Disney copyright, they are flimsier then the ones that have the copyright but they work fine. For me that's not an indication of a scrapper. It's the pin itself that is.

Scrappers are absolutely getting better, I have a few that look almost exactly like the real thing. It does get harder and harder to tell the difference.

Broncobilly, I personally use the baggies to carry my pins around, when I list some pins on eBay (hopefully this weekend) I will put them in the baggies to ship them. My pins are not scrappers. The baggies help protect the pins so i will use them.
What is your ebay name? I will watch for them.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:15 AM   #626
Broncobilly83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
What is your ebay name? I will watch for them.
I was going to ask the same thing.
11/07/12-11/13/12 - Anniversary/Birthday, Wilderness Lodge Club Level
11/12/14-11/18/12 - Anniversary/Birthday/Christmas, Wilderness Lodge

Broncobilly83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:08 AM   #627
earthfaries
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncobilly83 View Post
I was going to ask the same thing.
Me too, lol. I am always shopping for nice pins ~ and only have two sellers I currently buy from now that have real pins that I know of.

Living Our Dream

Disney World is our Backyard !!!
earthfaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:59 AM   #628
Disney Dad Canada
Passing on my Disney obsession to my 3 kids, and anyone else that will listen

Sorry, but I'm a total noob when it comes to pins. My 10 year old son wants to start trading on our next trip, so I purchased 100 pins from moth339 on ebay.

I'm really not up as to what I'm looking for when it comes to authenticity, quality etc. I just don't want my son to be disappointed if no one wants the pins he has to trade.

Is there a pin trading 101 thread as to pin quality etc?
Disney Dad Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:12 PM   #629
blockscrappers
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Dad Canada View Post
Sorry, but I'm a total noob when it comes to pins. My 10 year old son wants to start trading on our next trip, so I purchased 100 pins from moth339 on ebay.

I'm really not up as to what I'm looking for when it comes to authenticity, quality etc. I just don't want my son to be disappointed if no one wants the pins he has to trade.

Is there a pin trading 101 thread as to pin quality etc?
disboards.com - Disney collectors board,
Good/Bad internet and ebay Pin sellers has a list of good and bad ebay seller, I would read all of the messages in this board it has a lot of good info. Also I would consult with pixiewings71 she is very good at iding fake pins - I'm sure she would have good advice for you, also thelionqueen is very good. Hope this help - happy pin trading!
Old 04-23-2010, 07:29 PM   #630
blockscrappers
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiskneeFan View Post
Just a note about bidding and second chance offers......if you enter your maximum bid and you are out bid due to shill or legit and you are given a 2nd chance offer to buy at your maximum bid......why not buy it, its what you were willing to pay anyway.
And only E-bay knows for sure if U**D is paying or not....we have no way of knowing.
Just a thought.
You know come to think of it I asked ebay about shilling and they said they monitor it around the clock and another poster said that she knew someone who did it and they closed both accounts forever on the flip side there are a lot of sellers it would be hard to monitor them all - oh, well to look out for....

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: