Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Collectors Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2009, 03:23 PM   #241
Disney On A Dime!
It's never too late to live happily ever after!

Here's two thumbs up for olivejuiceyou21! I just received three great looking genuine Disney vinylmation pins! And the mickeys on the back go all the way to the edge!!!

BTW...I received my refund from the seller that I mentioned a few posts above...keep in mind that I purchased 11 vinylmation pins from him and all were knock-offs (IMO.) 24fanpac
~Pop Century 2011, 2010x2, 2008, 2007x2, 2006, 2005x2, 2004x2~
~All Star Sports 2009, 2008~All Star Movies 2003, 2002~All Star Music 2001~Coronado Springs 2009~
Disney On A Dime! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:52 PM   #242
fmimom
Earning My Ears

Helpful info., but still curious

Hello, we have been collecting and trading pins since 2002, but it is just for fun for our us to do at the park, not a really serious hobby. However, last year, we decided to buy some on e-bay prior to a trip to Disneyland. We bought from Shells7Pak, then while we were waiting to get our pins, we did a little more research and discovered the concept of "scrappers." Sure enough, when we received our order, we noticed that there were tons of LE and Hidden Mickey's and they were thinner and missing some of the features that were on some pins that we already had that we had bought at the park. We contacted her and she issued a refund after denying that none of her pins were scrappers. We are determined to never trade scrappers if at all possible (meaning if we know they are scrappers) because it is truly unfair to everyone that has spent the money to buy legitimate pins. After that experience, we had decided to totally write off the possibility of buying pins on e-bay. However, we are going to DW this month and I just found this site. I was very relieved to see that Shells7Pak is on the red list. But, how do you know that the sellers listed in green are truly reliable and reputable? It would be great to have more to trade on this upcoming trip because the kids are pretty attached to their pins. Also, how do you know if the ones on the CM lanyards are scrappers or not? The ones that we got off of e-bay were obvious, but are they all that obvious? I understand that if you are doing it because you love the pin it shouldn't matter. But, I have an issue with trading a pin that we spent $5+ on for a scrapper that really just needs to be thrown away. I hope I'm not being too cheap, but it just is so frustrating! I want my kids to be able to trade without worrying that the pins they or us bought for quite a bit of money are being traded for trash! Any ideas?? Thanks!!
fmimom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-02-2009, 04:09 PM   #243
Tammylynn
New trip in the works! Disneyland 4/29 - 5/3

This thread was started because many of us were in the same boat as you: We ordered before we even realized that fake pins existed!
We had to learn that positive feedback does not mean that the pins aren't scrappers, since many people don't know (or don't care) about scrappers.

As pinpics tells us, the only way we can verify with 100% certaintly that a pin is a legitimate Disney pin is to purchase directly from the parks.

That being said, the sellers that have been marked in green are ones who Disboards members have had positive experiences with and not recieved any known scrappers... or if a scrapper came through, the sellers have sent a replacement pin and we in good faith trust that it was an accident--after all, there are many scrappers on Cast Member lanyards.

I would bid with confidence from those green sellers, but I still stay away from LARGE lots or small lots with 'generic' pictures. I like to see what they will send me.

Tammylynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:10 PM   #244
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

The sellers on this thread are red, yellow or green based on our personal experiences with them. So if skipwick is listed as green it is because one of us personally purchased from him and was happy with what we received, if mikeandnancy are red it's because one of us personally had a terrible experience or received known scrappers. Of course many of the sellers on eBay don't know what scrappers are so they could be selling them without knowing....but this thread is based on our personal experiences so following that it's usually safe to say that most of our green sellers are selling good pins. Of course we can't say for sure, and I've received scrappers from sellers that I've used previously, when I mention it they usually refund my money without question.
Good luck, enjoy trading!

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:18 PM   #245
MountNittany
Why is Tom Morrow going to the Moon? He has enough on Saturn...

does anyone have experience with vipblast?

“Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, the Magic Kingdom proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of nighttime magic and imagination in thousands of sparkling lights and electrosynthomagnetic musical sounds . . . the ‘Main Street Electrical Parade!’”
Prevent scrapper pins from ever getting on cast member lanyards - Please read this thread about buying pins from eBay
My PinPics Name - psu52545
LET'S GO PENS!
MountNittany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:21 PM   #246
MountNittany
Why is Tom Morrow going to the Moon? He has enough on Saturn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney On A Dime! View Post
Real quick...I wanted to mention what has occurred with a recent pin purchase...again on ebay. I know I wrote some time ago about not collecting anymore vinylmation pins...well...I just had to get a few more! Anyhow...I just received a few pins in from a seller that was not mentioned here at all, but looked to be very reputable and only selling a few pins...not a huge amount of pins or lots...plus a bunch of other non-disney items. Well...I should have known...the pins are knock-offs of the geniune Disney holiday vinylmation pins. The mickey's do not go all the way to the edge on the back, they are thinner and they are lighter.

So...I write to the seller and explain very nicely my recent knowledge about the vinylmation pins and that I believed the ones that they sold me were not geniune Disney pins. I also gave them the benefit of doubt and suggested that they might not even be aware of the knock-offs.

The seller replied very nicely and said that he would give me full refund and pay for shipping back...and then he said, "Are any of them real?"

After my next correspondence with him...he wrote back that he had talked with his supplier and that I needed to check out pinpics.com pin number 72748...where it was clearly evident that some people had purchased these holiday vinylmation pins directly from Disney and that half of them were not having the mickey ears go all the way to the edge on the back.

Now I am getting pretty upset about this entire pin thing...because I knew exactly what post he was talking about on pinpics.com. If you go and look at pin 72748...there are several people writing in comments about this pin.

One of the first posts states something about Beijing having a hard time reproducing the mickey heads on the back of the pins...mainly that it is a dead give away that Disney did not sell this pin.

A few posts down there are two people who verify with each other that they did buy pins at Disney that some had the mickey heads all the way to the edge and that some did not.

The worst part about this entire situation is that one of the posters claiming Disney sold them pins with the mickeys not touching the edges is the same user name as a person I purchased knock-off vinylmation pins from in the past off of ebay!

I know that this post has been long and I started with "real quick!" But I just thought that I would put it out there that the sellers of these knock-off/scrapper/Beijing pins are being able to refer buyers to this pinpics site in order to say..."Yes! That pin is a real, genuine Disney bought pin" when in fact the source of the post on pinpics is a seller of knock-off/scrapper/Beijing pins!

At this point I am not a registered user of pinpics...I just go there every now and then and check out pins...so I am not sure about their posting control...or if they even have that???

As far as my ebay purchase...I will post this persons user name here once I have received my refund. I did have to explain to him that regardless of the mickey heads on the back not being correct...the pins were thinner and lighter than my Disney purchased vinylmation pins. I am going to send him a vinylmation pin that I purchased from Disney so that he can see what I was talking about. I believe that I blind-sided him with the information about his pins. I really don't think that this person knew that they were selling these knock-offs...I do think that the supplier knew!

I will keep you posted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post
You know, every pin I've purchased that has the Mickey heads on the back, they go all the way to the edges and OFF, they do not have the "edge", they do not stop before the edges of the pin, they go all the way off....and scrappers I've traded for have not had the Mickey heads going off the edge. I do not believe your seller, and what exactly does he mean by "his supplier?" Disney pins are not available for purchase outside the parks......
Quote:
Hi MountNittany! I see that you are updating the list on the first page...thanks! I do need to add though that I just received a knock-off from someone who had previously sent me a genuine pin! This seller has nothing to do with the previous issue that I have going on...but nonetheless...I can't totally recommend them. I don't know where they should be placed on the list...so far I'm 50/50 with them??? The ebay user name is kather99.

I have got to find a new hobby or find a way to get down to WDW more or go on DCL more...I need to buy my own pins!!!
Quote:
Here's two thumbs up for olivejuiceyou21! I just received three great looking genuine Disney vinylmation pins! And the mickeys on the back go all the way to the edge!!!

BTW...I received my refund from the seller that I mentioned a few posts above...keep in mind that I purchased 11 vinylmation pins from him and all were knock-offs (IMO.) 24fanpac
Quoting these for the update later... I'll add kather to the orange

“Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, the Magic Kingdom proudly presents our spectacular festival pageant of nighttime magic and imagination in thousands of sparkling lights and electrosynthomagnetic musical sounds . . . the ‘Main Street Electrical Parade!’”
Prevent scrapper pins from ever getting on cast member lanyards - Please read this thread about buying pins from eBay
My PinPics Name - psu52545
LET'S GO PENS!
MountNittany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:37 PM   #247
Disney On A Dime!

Hi fmimom! And welcome to the DISboards!

Two thumbs up! I agree with what pixiewings71 and Tammylynn said about this discussion thread and pin trading in general. I will say that before I purchase from ebay I now look at this list..and I also have been sending a question to the seller asking about the pin/pins. All have been honest...so far!

To all: I wanted to add disneyrequest to the list of green sellers...she sent me three great vinylmation pins!

To MountNittany: I, too, would like to know if anyone has purchased from vipblast. They have a good selection of vinylmation pins...anyone???

Lastly...I needed to add that on pinpics number 72748 (the one I referenced in a previous post) funmamas edited her response. She no longer verifies that she purchased vinylmation pins directly from Disney that did not have the mickey heads going all the way to the edge...kind of interesting...
~All Star Sports 2009, 2008~All Star Movies 2003, 2002~All Star Music 2001~Coronado Springs 2009~
Old 11-03-2009, 08:02 AM   #248
Tink415
DIS Veteran

I've purchased pins from Vipblast and been pleased with the pins and service.
Tink415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:19 AM   #249
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!

I purchased from vipblast over a year ago, the pins I received were scrappers BUT when I told them they told me to keep the pins and they refunded my $$. I have not purchased from them since, but I keep meaning to....

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:53 PM   #250
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!

I just wanted to update that Paypal refunded my purchase from MikeandNancy. The name on his Paypal acct is/was Carlos Neito so I don't know where the mikeandnancy came from but I did get my refund.

I also won some pins from a new seller, I will post after I get my pins from them.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:41 PM   #251
fmimom
Earning My Ears

Thanks so much for the warm welcome and helpful information. I will check out the sellers in green. It is so nice to know that you have had good experiences with them in the past. I'm very happy that not everyone on e-bay sells scrappers!!
fmimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:45 PM   #252
Malouff
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post
I just wanted to update that Paypal refunded my purchase from MikeandNancy.
I also finally got my money refunded.

The order where MikeandNancy printed a shipping label was a harder case as PayPal wanted me to wait until the packaged arrived at first.

I did however contact PayPal a few times to explain the case and got my refund.
Malouff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:59 AM   #253
Disney On A Dime!

It's great to hear that you all received your refunds!

Also, I am sorry that I didn't notice it before, but welcome to the DISboards Malouff!
Old 11-09-2009, 04:23 PM   #254
Disney On A Dime!

Just a thought, but how do we report sellers that either refund money for scrappers or send you the genuine pin in return for a scrapper? I am in the process of dealing with the latter...I purchased from a "green" seller and received three genuine pins and two scrappers. They were very willing to work with me and are sending replacements for the two scrappers (hopefully genuine pins!) I will keep you posted...any thoughts?
Old 11-09-2009, 06:54 PM   #255
asianway
Kungaloosh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle.Jr View Post
anyone have any experience with ebay user wonwon901 ?

he seems to have good feedback but it says his items are located in hong kong and he seems to be below retail.
He has sold the LE 300 Bay Lake Tower(which sold out by 10am), Kidani Village, and Treehouse pins multiples times, with no cards. Im pretty sure he got them factory direct.
asianway is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: