Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Collectors Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #1651
captinhookedondisney
HIDDEN MICKEY'S ARE EVERYWHERE

tennpins, ok i will use them next thanks! I still feel used! I feel frankly crappy. I feel like I spread fake Disney which is going against everything I believe in!

I want revenge! I that too harsh?
Old 01-18-2012, 09:43 PM   #1652
Ashmanarion
Mouseketeer

I've just started pin collecting. I've been buying pins off ebay with no real intention of trading to cast members or other collectors. I'm just collecting ones that I like, Muppets, Star Wars, etc. to keep and display on lanyard or other place. Is it bad or should I be more concerned about buying scrappers? I'm getting some great price on pins ($.99 to $4) from the same few sellers which combine shipping. I guess what I'm wanting to know is if there is any harm in me keeping scrappers if I know I'm not going to trade them?
DIS Dad's Club Member #652
Me DW DD(2)

Ashmanarion is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #1653
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Ash, I have plenty of scrappers in my collection. Some of them I knowingly traded for, others not so much. If you are keeping them and not trading them buy what you want. I actually will buy pins I suspect of being scrappers to use them in decorations...for instance I have a cute Nemo cross stitch in the bathroom and I have the bagged fish pins around it, they are scrappers, I got them from eBay just for that purpose. I am OK with that.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #1654
Ashmanarion
Mouseketeer

I have gotten a few scrappers so far, but I'm okay with it for the most part. Really just for collection at this point so it doesn't truly matter.
DIS Dad's Club Member #652
Me DW DD(2)

Ashmanarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #1655
gt4play
Earning My Ears

Disappointing...

My wife and I visited Disney World in summer 2010 and found ourselves quickly engulfed in the pin-trading frenzy (our focus was on Hidden Mickey pins held by the CMs). Despite how much money we spent, it really was quite fun. It's something we were looking forward to doing again during our next visit - until I learned of the numerous Ebay 'scrapper' sellers out there.

I (like sooooo many others I'm sure) saw these 'lots' of pins with prices that couldn't even compare to those we were spending on new pins at Disney. Why not purchase a lot (duplicates or not), pick out the ones you want for your own collection and trade the others? They're ALL legitimate Disney pins, right? WRONG!

So I can imagine two groups of people who move forward with what I was planning:

The first group acknowledges they're fakes and will buy them anyway for the purposes of trading (as I understand it, cast members either can't distinguish between a real vs fake - or are too busy to verify).

The second group is simply oblivious and will blindly circulate these fakes without even knowing it.

For those of us who are expecting to get a legitimate, limited production hidden mickey pin from a cast member...well, there is no guarantee anymore it seems.

Ah well - until Disney manages to do something about this, pin trading (for us anyway) was fun while it lasted....
gt4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:39 PM   #1656
tfarr
Earning My Ears

Does anyone know about theses sellers?

I was just wondering if anyone has used these sellers before and if there on the Green list?

Mel2632
Corjohnvette

Thanks
tfarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #1657
alizesmom
Pumba is my hero but I love Donald

I get pins for the shear joy of collecting them (love my ducks). If it quacks, I collect. I am sure I have some scrappers but don't get them to trade so that's generally ok with me. Just be careful no matter who you buy/trade with. I have gotten great pins from e-bay and trading on line and have also gotten cheated a few times often by people who guaranteed they didn't cheat. At that point you just decide if the person who cheated you of pins can also cheat you of your joy in collecting. I vote to not give them that power.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #1658
MidnightCat
Disney Gamer Geek

Anyone know of good eBay sellers that sell mostly Hidden Mickey pins?
MidnightCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #1659
ELMC
DIS Veteran

What pins are "acceptable"?

I'm curious, do you differentiate between a pin that has obvious defects and problems with it and a pin that is simply an overproduction after Disney is done with the original print run?

Is there a difference between the two?
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #1660
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
I'm curious, do you differentiate between a pin that has obvious defects and problems with it and a pin that is simply an overproduction after Disney is done with the original print run?

Is there a difference between the two?
Both of these pins are scrappers, why? Because one has defects and was not approved by Disney therefore should have been scrapped, the other because it was an overproduction, again not approved by Disney and should have been scrapped. When Disney is done with a mold it is to be destroyed or archived as they request. I hope that helps.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:40 PM   #1661
MrsFerrell
Mouseketeer

awesome thanks so much for this list. subbing

First PreTrip Report

"Of Course You're Excited, It's Disney" TR

June 1994- Of Site (just little me)
Feb 2012- Shades of Green (DH, me, DD3, DD1)
MrsFerrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #1662
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightCat View Post
Anyone know of good eBay sellers that sell mostly Hidden Mickey pins?
Gitanoman, Karen sells great pins and is very easy to work with. I have received a couple of scrappers from her but as soon as I let her know my suspicions she sent me new ones. Well as soon as she could trade for them anyway. She sells mainly DLR pins.

totaljohn, disneyaddicts, they are also good seller, higher prices and not all HM pins but good stuff.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:59 AM   #1663
WhitDisney
Earning My Ears

I found a GREAT deal!

Awhile back there was a seemingly knowledgeable poster casting aspersions on people selling brand new sets "so cheap" on eBay. I just came across something to share. I hope this one simple example will help cast light on how new in package pins can be far under cost on eBay. I also hope it helps some of my fellow pin fanatics get some great traders today!

I cashed in my rewards and I have a really big gift card that I need to use. The points really rack up fast! Probably because I spend too much? I went to look at DisneyStore.com and I just came across an example of a great deal, direct from Disney.

Disney 3D Vinylmation Cutesters 3 Pin Set for $6.99. With my 25% off coupon stacked on top of the Visa Rewards discount the pins come out to be under $1.56 per pin direct from Disney. Well, free with my gift card! There is no limit. I just put 200 sets in my cart and it was ready to go through. I do not need that many, but I wanted to investigate before posting.

If I found it so easily, I'm sure the sellers know more and even better ways. Enjoy the great find! Hopefully the sellers won't find it before we all get a lanyard full.
WhitDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #1664
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitDisney View Post
Awhile back there was a seemingly knowledgeable poster casting aspersions on people selling brand new sets "so cheap" on eBay. I just came across something to share. I hope this one simple example will help cast light on how new in package pins can be far under cost on eBay. I also hope it helps some of my fellow pin fanatics get some great traders today!

I cashed in my rewards and I have a really big gift card that I need to use. The points really rack up fast! Probably because I spend too much? I went to look at DisneyStore.com and I just came across an example of a great deal, direct from Disney.

Disney 3D Vinylmation Cutesters 3 Pin Set for $6.99. With my 25% off coupon stacked on top of the Visa Rewards discount the pins come out to be under $1.56 per pin direct from Disney. Well, free with my gift card! There is no limit. I just put 200 sets in my cart and it was ready to go through. I do not need that many, but I wanted to investigate before posting.

If I found it so easily, I'm sure the sellers know more and even better ways. Enjoy the great find! Hopefully the sellers won't find it before we all get a lanyard full.
I absolutely know this is very possible. The problem is identifying those who are actually able to do this and are reselling on eBay.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #1665
WhitDisney
Earning My Ears

As always Pix, you are the voice of reason and logic! I totally agree - I just wanted to point out it wasn't rocket science and even I could have done it without anything 'shady.' I hope some were able to get in on the deal I found.

While I'm here, did anyone ever learn what happened to OliveJuice21? Seems like a lot of the 'old timers' have closed up shop.
WhitDisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: