Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2009, 11:15 PM   #1
CaptHomer
DIS Veteran

Star Wars Weekend VIP - Year of a Million Dreams Winner

We were on our second trip to Disney World from August 16th Ė August 23rd 2008. Our first trip that year was in January. We bought season tickets on the August trip because we thought we would probably come back within a year anyway even though we live in Keller, Texas and arenít within driving distance of Disney. Before the year was up I made 5 trips to Disney.

The first couple of days were fine, nothing more than the normal rain that comes through every day in Orlando in August. The weather report got worse however, they were reporting that a hurricane was going to hit the coast. The storm when it did hit the coast was downgraded to a tropical storm, Tropical Storm Fay.

It rained for 3 straight days. One day we were just waiting for the rain to slow down before we headed out to a park. The kids went swimming in the morning and then we decided to go to Animal Kingdom. It was raining really hard so I dropped the rest of the family off at the front gate and I went and parked the rental car.

We met up in one of the stores just past the front gate. My 3 year old needed to get a hat. We then decided to go over to the Dinoland U.S.A. My son wanted to ride Primeval Whirl so my wife took him to ride that while I took the 3 year old on Triceratop Spin. There was no line so we just walked right through and onto the next available car (dinosaur).

When we finished the ride and were about to get out I noticed some Dream Squad members by the exit. I thought I would walk by and see what they were giving away, but just as I was about to go past them they stopped me. They said we have some good news for you. I asked if we could wait for my wife and son to get off Primeval Whirl first before they say anything.

We had won Dream Fastpasses on our January trip as we were coming off the train at Magic Kingdom. There was a couple of Dream Squad members handing out the passes but this time there were 7 or 8 of them waiting on us. I had a feeling that this was going to be better than fastpasses.

When my wife and son saw us standing there with the Dream Squad they didnít know what was going on. I told them that we won something but I donít know what it is yet. They said lets go get out of the rain so we went in to the store there in Dinoland.

They said that we had just won an all expense paid, VIP trip back to Disney in 2009. I asked what we did to win it. They said that the computer picked 1:00PM on August 20th at Animal Kingdom on the first seat of car number 8 on Triceratop Spin. They then took us to the front of the park to guest services to fill out all the paperwork.

We had a choice of weekends to pick from. There was Soap Opera weekend, ESPN weekend, and Star Wars weekend. It was a pretty easy choice to make since we are Star Wars fans. Not only did Disney pay for all the trip expenses they also paid the taxes that we would have to pay to the IRS for winning a prize.

The VIP Star Wars Weekend May 28- 31 trip report coming soon

Last edited by CaptHomer; 06-25-2009 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
Rymer
Earning My Ears

wow, congratulations! amazing.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-25-2009, 08:51 AM   #3
Rymer
Earning My Ears

where is your trip report? would love to see it.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:56 AM   #4
Credit Man
Love the shark reef
Needs a map to grocery shop
Went on a life-changing cruise

Cool! Can't wait to read your report.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:09 AM   #5
Disney Brat
DIS Veteran

Congrats on the win!! Can't wait to hear all about it!!
March 2010 DLR
Old 06-25-2009, 11:27 AM   #6
Nicole786
DIS Veteran

Wow thats really awesome! I had always wondered about the taxes stuff, thats so awesome that they pay that for you! Disney always amazes me

Next Trip: September 25, 2014!
Universal's Royal Pacific Resort & Animal Kingdom Lodge!
Old 06-25-2009, 11:53 AM   #7
DisneyNutMary
DIS Veteran

Congratulations on the win! I look forward to reading your report.

I assume that's your wife in the poncho, are all the rest in the picture the Dream Squad members and CMs?
Old 06-25-2009, 12:17 PM   #8
CaptHomer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyNutMary View Post

I assume that's your wife in the poncho, are all the rest in the picture the Dream Squad members and CMs?
Correct on all accounts! I hope to get another segment up tonight, if not, it will be up by the weekend.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:28 PM   #9
cajunlace
First Time Visitor to WDW

WOW that is awesome!!! I was just reading your thread to my son and he said we never win anything, at least there are some lucky people out there.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:57 PM   #10
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Subbing until I can come back and catch up.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 06-25-2009, 11:49 PM   #11
CaptHomer
DIS Veteran

Thursday, May 28th, was check in day for our Star Wars Weekend VIP experience. The hotel we picked was the Boardwalk Inn and we got there around noon.

We picked up the room keys and the information packet from Disney. The packet had our itinerary and 4 $300 gift cards. We were scheduled for a standard room there but when we got to the room which was at the very end of the resort we were surprised to see a boardwalk view.

We were on the 3rd floor on the next to last room by the ESPN Club. This is a great location but it can be a little noisy until around 11 or midnight when most of the restaurants close. The view is spectacular though.

We went to EPCOT to spend the day because we had reservations at Chefs de France at 5:00. We didn't tell the kids where we were going because we wanted to surprise them with Remy from Ratatouille at the restaurant.

We walked around the park to see all of the attractions for the Flower and Garden Festival.

After seeing all the displays and riding Spaceship Earth we headed to the restaurant. After the waiter, Xavier, took our drink order, Remy made his way around to our section of the restaurant.

What a great addition to the restaurant. I hope they extend this past September. He spent maybe 30 seconds at the other tables and then he made his way to our table.

He was getting ready to leave and since we know from reading this site what to ask him we asked if he knew how to dance. He then does his routine to "Can't Touch This".

[Tried to upload the video to Photobucket but the sound won't play correctly. It works fine on the computer. I will try again at a later date] ** Posted on page 4 **

For dinner we both had the 3 course meal and the kids had something off the kids menu. We have the Tables in Wonderland dining plan since we are season pass holders.

On our last 2 trips whenever we tell the waiter we are on the plan the service is usually horrible. They figure they have their 18% so why bother. Xavier was one of the best waiters we have ever had at Disney so we tipped around 25% I think.

We headed back to the hotel since we were going to get up and open Hollywood Studios on Friday and it was Extra Magic Hour morning. I stayed down on the Boardwalk to take a few pictures and the rest of the family went back to the room.

When they got back to the room Disney had delivered 4 gift baskets with Mickey Jedi robes and Fx lightsabers. The kids then had a lightsaber duel down the hallway as I was walking back to the room.

Day 2 coming soon.

Last edited by CaptHomer; 08-07-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:26 AM   #12
MJAJmom
DIS Veteran

Congrats on winning - how cool is that!!! SWW is what I would have picked too - can't wait to hear more. I'm already jealous of the mickey jedi robes and lightsabers.

June 2014 - DL planning in the works!
June 2011 - POFQ, Star Wars Weekends, Universal
April 2010 - CBR pirate room, 3rd time for just mom & 2 boys, Universal
June09 - CBR, Star Wars Weekends, just mom & 2 boys, more character meals - Trip Report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2208908
Oct08 - GF, MNSSHP, just mom & 2 boys, lots of character meals - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2013585
Apr08 - GF - 1st trip for family
Old 06-26-2009, 09:41 AM   #13
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Holy Moly Moo Moo Cows! You guys are so lucky! We went twice during the Year of a Million Dreams and never received anything. Well, I take that back, I did receive a Tinkerbell pin on my package pickup package. Looking forward to reading more.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 06-26-2009, 10:11 AM   #14
janloz
Wishing I was at WDW now.

Congrats, how cool!! Can't wait to read more.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:10 PM   #15
heaven2dc
DIS Veteran

How exciting!! Congratulations!!! I would have been in tears (closest I came to Dream Team was in ToT. They came walking up the walkway past our line and stood waiting for a few min in the entrance. Then I was to go to the right with the group of people I was in but at the last minute a girl pushed past me and I ended up with the group to the left. Well guess what - that group she pushed her way into won fastpasses, Dream Mickey ears and something else. I was a little upset but oh well....)

How great that you chose the Boardwalk Inn (my fav place)! I wonder if the service you received for dinner was because they knew you won a contest. Maybe not - but glad he was a great server. Thanks for sharing all your pics so far - great view!

WDW Trips: March 1997 (BWV), February 2008 (BWV), December 2008 (BWV), Nov/Dec 2010 (BWV)

Disneyland Trips: September 1983, AP Holder July 2013 (twice), August 2013 & November 2013

All Our Dreams Come True If We Have the Courage To Pursue Them - Walt Disney

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: