Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2009, 09:46 PM   #1
MEK
DIS Veteran

Kick'n It at Kidani (aka Am I Becoming a Resort Snob?)Final Update 8/20 p.54

10pm EST is probably not the best time to start a TR, but I've been back about 9 days and finally started uploading my pictures on photobucket. Part of me wants to go to sleep. The other part says....DO IT!

So here's the prerequisite trip background:

Who????

Me....MEK (Mary Ellen).....Over 40 mom of two. Disney freak since 2001. DIS member since 2005. This is my 10th trip to Disney. I am an AP holder and a DVC member. Yeah, I fell for the whole Mickey deal....hook, line, and sinker. In the real world I am a Nurse Practitioner in a cardiac surgery program.

DH......Over 40 Dad of two.... I have to go back into the archives to find a funny picture of DH. You'll have to wait for that! DH fully supports my love of Disney. He didn't object too loudly to another trip this September. He, too, is an AP holder.

DS....Brian......16 and a typical teen...surly, grumpy, and a social butterfly. He has the fullest calendar of anyone I know. He is always running, running, running. He loves sports and plays a mean game of soccer.

DS.....Nick.....14, almost 15......Loves Mickey and isn't afraid to wear Mickey shirts out in public. Is fascinated by Walt Disney. Loves One Man's Dream. He also plays a mean game of soccer.

DSF.....Brian's friend......J.....15, almost 16......J accompanied us last year on our first DVC trip. He's a good, well behaved kid. DH and I secretly refer to him as Brian's babysitter cause he does a good job of keeping Brian happy and entertained. I almost forgot to add that J also plays a mean game of soccer. He is on Brian's ODP team.

DN.....Dear Nephew....LJ....9......This is LJ's first trip to the world. He is my brothers oldest son. He has three younger brothers. The family had not traveled to Disney yet. They just bought a new house and didn't think it was prudent to go this year. Their youngest is 2. That's another good reason for not doing Disney yet. Anyway, this was LJ's first big trip away from home. He was so much fun to be around and we really tried to plan our trip around his first timer needs.

When?

Monday June 8th - Monday June 15th 2009

You may be wondering why Monday to Monday. The main reason was DS16 was supposed to play in the Ryder Cup, which is an ODP (Olympic Development Program) soccer tournament, the weekend of June 6th. It seemed to make more sense to leave on Monday once the tournament was over. As it turned out, DS16 suffered a stress fracture of his left fibula and he was not able to play in the tournament. That was a huge disappointment for him.

Where?

Since we are DVC members we decided to try for AK this year. I called at exactly seven months out and was rewarded with a 2BR villa at Kidani. It was a standard view since we are a tad short on points. We borrowed heavily first our first big trip and now I am trying to recoup and catch up. We booked our first five nights at AKL and then waited.....and waited.......and waited....... for an AP rate to come out at CSR. It finally did in May, so we booked out last two nights there.

Up next.....Departure day and Arrival at the amazing Kidani Village

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW

Last edited by MEK; 08-20-2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:00 PM   #2
MEK
DIS Veteran

FYI.......In case you think my skirt is a tad short....

well....there really are some shorts under that skirt, skort, whatever the heck it is called. I really don't even remember anyone taking pictures at the airport. Except for this one......

I started getting bored when our flight did not board exactly on time, so I took this highly focused picture of my infamous crocs. It felt good to be wearing those bad boys again!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-25-2009, 06:46 AM   #3
Glendamax
LOVES Old English Roses china at the Grand Floridian!

Hey! I'll be looking in the background of all of your pics to see if I see ME!
Old 06-25-2009, 07:29 AM   #4
PrincessCaitlin
DIS Veteran

I'm in!

The Hot Fudge Terrorists and the Curse of the Drunken Punkin

How Much was It?!?!?!?! The tale of our best trip ever!!!!

*The opinions and comments in the above post do not reflect the views, opinions, policies, or procedures of the Walt Disney Company or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates,
including but not limited to the Walt Disney World Resort and all other included areas.*
Old 06-25-2009, 07:42 AM   #5
dawnbu40
DIS Veteran

Caitlin found your report this morning so we've both subscribed. I'm looking forward to hearing all about your trip! You have a handsome family!
Old 06-25-2009, 08:52 AM   #6
DWGal210
DIS Veteran

I'm in! We're staying at Kidani in December so I am so excited to see how your trip went!

Old 06-25-2009, 01:37 PM   #7
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glendamax View Post
Hey! I'll be looking in the background of all of your pics to see if I see ME!
Hey Glendama:

I knew you owned at AKL, but I didn't know we where there at the same time! Loved Kidani. Sort of wish it was my home resort! I am wondering how the studios compare with the villa, since the next time I go it will probably just be me and DH.

I've got to hop over to your TR. I was actually thinking about you when I rode ToT, because in one of your last TR's you had me rolling with your description of your Dis meet ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessCaitlin View Post
I'm in!
Hey Caitlin! Thanks for stopping by. I have had tons of fun reading your TR and looking at all your adorable pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnbu40 View Post
Caitlin found your report this morning so we've both subscribed. I'm looking forward to hearing all about your trip! You have a handsome family!
Hi Dawn! So glad you stopped by, too! Thanks for the compliment. I have to say that I honestly did not take many pictures of my family this trip (my bad), so I have to get in those lovely airport shots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWGal210 View Post
I'm in! We're staying at Kidani in December so I am so excited to see how your trip went!
Welcome DWGal! Thanks for dropping by! Kidani is absolutely beautiful. The 2BR villa was really spectacular. When I post my pics you will see that the pics just don't do the place justice. Seriously, everything about the room was perfect - 3 flatscreens, 2 ihomes, beautiful bedding, a jacuzzi tub to die for, beautiful art work. I would stay there again in a heart beat!

Old 06-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #8
PrincessCaitlin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Hey Caitlin! Thanks for stopping by. I have had tons of fun reading your TR and looking at all your adorable pictures!

No problem I am so excited to read about your trip and thank you!

The Hot Fudge Terrorists and the Curse of the Drunken Punkin

How Much was It?!?!?!?! The tale of our best trip ever!!!!

*The opinions and comments in the above post do not reflect the views, opinions, policies, or procedures of the Walt Disney Company or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates,
including but not limited to the Walt Disney World Resort and all other included areas.*
Old 06-25-2009, 04:20 PM   #9
MEK
DIS Veteran

I promised a picture of my DH and HERE IT IS..............
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvCrush View Post

Paula
This picture is courtesy of Paula (aka I Luv Crush). She made this for me after my December trip. You see....it is customary to turn DH's into gnomes when you visit the gnomefest thread. I dug around and pulled this out of my Dec TR. It's perfect for my DH cause he loves Epcot and he loves beer. Isn't he just so happy looking!

Thanks Paula!

Up next......Some more pretrip info.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:01 PM   #10
MEK
DIS Veteran

Just a little Teaser

You know....I can't wait till I tell you about our arrival to Kidani. But before I do, I need to give you a little bit more background information.

I didn't do a PTR. For some reason, I am superstitious and I always get very worried that something catastrophic will happen to cancel my trip. This is particularly nerve racking for me because half of my points for this trip were borrowed. Borrowed points can't go back and they can be a little tricky to use. I forget what all the rules are, but you definately don't want to cancel in the thirty days before your trip.

So our original dates were 6/7 - 6/14. This would include a Sunday night to Friday stay at AKL. Point usuage....139. Very reasonable, IMHO, and less points than an SSR stay.

Well....I decided it would probably be BAD to leave on the same day that my DS16 finished a soccer tournament. It would require a dinner time flight and a late arrival. I didn't want to spend my first Disney day wishing my son's soccer team would hurry up and lose.

So I switched the reservation to 6/8 - 6/15. That made my point usuage go up to 176 because of the Friday night stay. With only 200 points a year and a heavily borrowed contract, I stopped right there. 5 nights would be enough. The other two nights could wait.

I really wanted CSR for the last two nights. I desired it for a couple reasons....proximity to AKL and its the one mod I haven't stayed in. Originally the rooms were close to $200/night. And I needed two rooms for 2 nights. That was more than I wanted to spend. Even the AAA rate was about $180. I actually found cheaper rooms in the Swan/Dolphin, but when you add in the parking fees and resort fees for two rooms.....well the S/D were a bit outside of my budget as well.

So..... I patiently waited for the AP rates to be released. I checked every morning for 5 weeks. Finally I was able to get a $109 rate for the second night. I still had to pay AAA rate for the first night and carry two separate reservations.

Then something magical happened. I've never booked through CRO before (always used AAA agent), so when I got my statements I called to make sure I had paid for the rooms in full. I couldn't tell. Well, to make a long story short, the CM found me a $119 rate for the first night at CSR and she linked the reservations. Yeah....now I had two rooms for two nights with a total charge of $503. I was good with that.

So the rooms were set.

My flights were pretty reasonable as well. I was able to get everybody $59 each way PHL - MCO. That's huge when you are paying for 6 flights. Of course, I booked everyone's flights at different times because it took awhile to know who was going, so I ended up printing boarding passes from 3 different confirmation numbers. No biggie! DS16 and his friend always go to the very back of the plane, so it really didn't matter what their boarding group was.

We also rented a minivan. I felt this was essential for changing resorts and for general shopping and getting around. I found a great code on the transportation board and got a van for $268 with taxes at Dollar. I was quite pleased with that. thanks to whoever posted that code!

OK.....enough writing..... I think I owe you a little tease with a few Kidani pictures......

Although I did not have a savanah view room I was able to take these picture in the hall right across from my room. Between each section of Kidani there is a big viewing window. Of course, this is in addition to the big viewing areas off the lobby.

Here are some pics from the general viewing area off the lobby:

So when I return I will talk about my departure and arrival day AND I'll tell you about all the possible names I considered for this trip report. Believe me, there were quite a few!

Old 06-25-2009, 05:16 PM   #11
dawnbu40
DIS Veteran

Those pics are awesome I can't wait for more!
Old 06-25-2009, 05:28 PM   #12
kindra657
Dedicated to a Mouse

count me in!!! staying at kidani in a few weeks and gotta get some peaks in
Old 06-25-2009, 06:42 PM   #13
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnbu40 View Post
Those pics are awesome I can't wait for more!
I finally uploaded my pics to my computer last night (well at least the first 1100), but when I started downloading them on photobucket they got out of order. Go figure. Anyway, I think I will be finding Kidani photos misplaced throughout my whole TR. So we might all be surprised to see where they turn up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindra657 View Post
count me in!!! staying at kidani in a few weeks and gotta get some peaks in
Hey Kindra....thanks for stopping by. I promise to post many more Kidani pics over the next few days. You are going to love it. The rooms are awesome and they have so many cool statues, masks, and pieces of African artwork displayed throughout the building. Plus, they constantly play relaxing African themed music. It's really such a nice touch.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:48 PM   #14
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

I'm here! Love the pictures of Kidani!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: