Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2009, 09:47 PM   #31
Eeyores Butterfly

BL6 Blue Team Co-captain
I hope we never lose sight of one thing, it was all started by a mouse
I went "wow, that hurt"

Stefani, I'm glad you finally decided to do it. One thing that we are working on (MAW) is this idea that a child isn't "sick enough" or that their wish will take away from another child. As you know, an illness "only" has to be life threatening. A full 75% of kids granted wishes make it to adulthood. The other issue you mentioned is feeling like you would take away from another child's wish. This would absolutely not happen. One child's wish has no affect on another's. As much as possible everything that goes into a wish is donated or given at great discount. It is amazing thew ay the communities rally around the children to make sure their wishes come true. So please don't feel like you all somehow are not as deserving or fear that you are taking away from another child- because it is absolutely not true!

You all have had a hard battle and Bella absolutely deserves this wish!
Old 07-21-2009, 06:15 PM   #32
StefaniLyn
DIS Veteran

Chapter 7 - Let the Planning Begin! Countdowns, Matchy-Matchy Debate, and Movie Nites

Now that we have all those pesky introductions out of the way, it's time to move on to the real reason for this pretrippie, THE PLANNING! This is where I need the expertise and creative minds of all you DISExperts and experienced Wish Trippers!

As a self diagnosed borderline OCD over-planner, I want to start planning the where and when of each Disney day. Unfortunately, my desires have been curtailed by a lack of crowd calendars and Disney's delay in releasing park hours for our travel dates (why do they torture me so?)! The one and only plan we have for certain is . . . . .

MICKEY'S VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS PARTY!!!!!

can you feel the excitement??? I'm so excited about MVMCP as nobody in our family has been to this event before! We already have our tickets courtesy of Bella's Fairy GodMAW, Make A Wish. We will be going on Sunday, December 6th. Has anyone been before? Are all the rides open or is it mostly character meet and greets? What about restaurants? So MNSSHP has trick or treating, what does MVMCP have? Are there any special treats in store?

Any day now, I need to get started on making a countdown calendar. This is something I haven' done with either of our two previous Disney trips so I'm not sure where to start. I'm thinking of either a sticker chart or if I get really ambitious, I might make something with my Disney cricut cartridges. Does anyone out there have a sample picture of your countdown calendar? Desperately seeking inspiration!

Over on another Wish Tripper's pretrip report thread, Supermom Corrine has come up with an incredibly creative lead-up to her son Liam's Wish Trip. One night each week, she has a Disney Theme Night. Each week she plays a different Disney movie. She also makes themed food to go along with the movie - how CUTE is that?!?! As I'm not creative enough to think up something so amazing myself, Corinne has given me permission to steal her idea for our family. I want to try and put some sort of twist on it for our family but I have yet to have any ideas pop into my head. I think we'll start this in 2 weeks, after we return from our trip to Seattle. I'll start with some of the older Disney Movies that I know my kids haven't even seen yet (GASP!) and end with the Princess movies so they will be fresh in our minds when we meet them at Disney. After we return from Seattle, we'll have a mere 21 weeks until we head to the World, so I'll need to select 21 Disney Movies and themes. Is there a list of top Disney movies anywhere? Hmmmm. . . . time to start brainstorming!

In the next few weeks, I'll start my pre-trip shopping. Because I'm "one of thooooooose moms" that enjoys torturing my children by dressing them in embarassingly cute matchy-matchy clothes , I'll need to find outfits that will fit the range of all 3 of my girls (4T to 12). This is not so easy as 4T and 12 are entirely different sections of the store these days. As we have for previous trips, the girls will wear matching, or at the very least coordinating, outfits for each day. Take our trip in September 2008 for example:
Here they are in Epcot - matching t-shirts and coordinating skirts
and again at the Magic Kingdom - outfits made by G-ma Chari, hairbows bought on eBay
Animal Kingdom - Look! It's a 5 headed Griggsosaurus. Oh wait, it's just us on a family match day! (DH is such a sport, he even let me dress him matchy-matchy)
and again at Hollywood Studios (notice the bows are matching too - I think DD10 will kill me if I try and put a bow in her hair this year however)
We even had matching outfits for our travel day (shown here in Orlando Int'l Airport)
Soooooo, you could call this an obsession, addiction, illness,blah, blah, blah, but I hereby proclaim that it is only a safety precaution. If one of the girls gets lost, I can simply (and calmly too, I'm sure) say "I lost a kid, she looks like this one (point to remaining identically dressed children), only _insert descriptive word here (taller, shorter, blonder, brown-haired, etc)." So if you hear of any amazing Disney clothes deals online, brick and mortar, or otherwise, please let me know.

So that's about it for today. I'm off to get some PTO stuff done and then feed the monsters . . . . er, I mean girls. One more day of summer school for them and then they're all mine for the remaining days until school starts! Now the real fun begins!

One more note. For those of you in the TMJ4 (Milwaukee) viewing area, check out The Morning Blend tomorrow morning. A photo of Bella, Kennedy, and Ben was selected as Art's Photo of the Day and will be featured during the show. But don't worry if you're not nearby, I *think* you will be able to see the video at this link. It will only be viewable tomorrow (Wednesday, July 22nd) as there is a new winner each day.

Up Next -

CHAPTER 8 - T-MINUS 120 DAYS AND ALMOST COUNTING

Last edited by StefaniLyn; 07-27-2009 at 12:48 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-21-2009, 08:15 PM   #33
Eeyores Butterfly

BL6 Blue Team Co-captain
I hope we never lose sight of one thing, it was all started by a mouse
I went "wow, that hurt"

I love the matching shirts! Some people think it's dorker, but when I worked attractions in Fantasyland, I loved them. Sometimes people can't seem to grasp the concept of telling us how many people are in their party total. They seem to think they know more about grouping people onto a ride than we do and will only tell us the number in their row and then get mad if I accidentally cut off their party! When I see people in matching outfits, it gives me a good idea of how many total there are and where they end. It helps to make sure I am doing my counts right and that the family will be together without any added hassle!
Old 07-21-2009, 10:03 PM   #34
MomTo4+more
Mouseketeer

As usual, I love reading your PTR. Your girls' curls are so adorable. I love the matching outfits. A grandma who sews is a wonderful thing!

One thing I have added to Corrinne's fantastic Disney Family Nights is working on our autograph book. We are making notecards for the characters to sign that will be put into a scrapbook when we return. It's fun to make the notecards for the characters in the movie we watch.

I am also making a very simple journal for the trip. I want everyone in the family to be able to add to it with drawings or words to describe how they are feeling and what we are doing through this whole process - pre-trip planning on through the return home. It's really simple. I have a thick spiral bound journal dressed up with ribbons on the spiral binding part. Each day someone wants to make an entry they put the date at the top and write or draw what they want. I am hoping it will make the waiting seem shorter!

I know how it is to plan without details. I just came up with a lot of tentative plans that look very nice on paper. I do feel your excitement! Keep sharing it!
"Sulley" (5)
Follow Deyki's Wish Trip here:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=32472981
Old 07-21-2009, 11:03 PM   #35
Corrine 1973
What do you mean I am not a princess, don't you see my crown!!!

Oh My Gosh, am I ever blushing. I have truely enjoyed the DMFN's but admite that I have had a lot of help with idea's. Here is a link to another thread that is all Disney Movie Night food and activity ideas. You will find a pretty good list here of Disney Movie's. You will find a list of movies with the page and post #'s on the fist post to tell you where to go. Some movies have several diffrent ideas. I try to do my own thing, but sometimes go there to get some ideas.http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1707141

I love the idea about the note cards, I wish I had thought about it.

My calander is just a simple one I printed on the computer. What makes it special for the kids is that they can mark off the days, I listed what movies we are going to see on Tuesdays, and in the left corner of each box is the number of days left until we go to Disney. Today we have 54 days.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:16 AM   #36
StefaniLyn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyores Butterfly View Post
When I see people in matching outfits, it gives me a good idea of how many total there are and where they end. It helps to make sure I am doing my counts right and that the family will be together without any added hassle!
Ahhhhh. . . . feed my addiction. Yet another perfectly logical reason for all of us to dress alike while in the World. Maybe I can even get G-ma to wear matchy matchy using this line of reasoning. She certainly wouldn't want to get left behind in line!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomTo4+more View Post
As usual, I love reading your PTR. Your girls' curls are so adorable. I love the matching outfits. A grandma who sews is a wonderful thing!

One thing I have added to Corrinne's fantastic Disney Family Nights is working on our autograph book. We are making notecards for the characters to sign that will be put into a scrapbook when we return. It's fun to make the notecards for the characters in the movie we watch.

I am also making a very simple journal for the trip. I want everyone in the family to be able to add to it with drawings or words to describe how they are feeling and what we are doing through this whole process - pre-trip planning on through the return home. It's really simple. I have a thick spiral bound journal dressed up with ribbons on the spiral binding part. Each day someone wants to make an entry they put the date at the top and write or draw what they want. I am hoping it will make the waiting seem shorter!

I know how it is to plan without details. I just came up with a lot of tentative plans that look very nice on paper. I do feel your excitement! Keep sharing it!
Yes, G-ma's sewing expertise certainly comes in handy (as does my Cricut for cutting out the Mickey heads on the dresses). She has already agreed to sew one set of Disney outfits for the girls as well as make Kennedy a princess costume that will be used for both Halloween and our Wish Trip. Unfortunately, G-ma is not all about the frills and fancy like me so I hope I can talk her into some ruffles and rhinestones on the outfits. If not, I'll have her make something more basic using an animal print for Animal Kingdom. I may need to meander on over to the craft board and get some ideas!

I love your idea of notecards! I may just need to try that. Or maybe some similar sort of crafty idea to go along with the movie theme. I think I'll buy AJ (DD10) a journal to write in like you mentioned as she enjoys that kind of stuff. Kennedy (DD8) doesn't have the patience, and Bella (WishKidDD5) can't write yet. Hmmm. . . . now you've got me thinking. I have exactly 2 weeks and 1 day until our first Disney Family Night. The wheels are turning. . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrine 1973 View Post
Oh My Gosh, am I ever blushing. I have truely enjoyed the DMFN's but admite that I have had a lot of help with idea's. Here is a link to another thread that is all Disney Movie Night food and activity ideas. You will find a pretty good list here of Disney Movie's. You will find a list of movies with the page and post #'s on the fist post to tell you where to go. Some movies have several diffrent ideas. I try to do my own thing, but sometimes go there to get some ideas.http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1707141

I love the idea about the note cards, I wish I had thought about it.

My calander is just a simple one I printed on the computer. What makes it special for the kids is that they can mark off the days, I listed what movies we are going to see on Tuesdays, and in the left corner of each box is the number of days left until we go to Disney. Today we have 54 days.

54 days?!?! I am sooooooooo J-E-A-L-O-U-S! Thanks for the linky. I have it bookmarked for future reference.

When did you start your countdown calendar? Do you think 4 months is a little overkill? For a moment I contemplated making it sort of like an advent calendar with a little gift (think stamp, sticker, tattoo, etc; small stuff) for each day, but that could get tricky. However, I could also throw in some big stuff that I buy for the trip (sunglasses, outfits, toys, etc) every once in a while to get them really hyped up. I would have to either use a photo of the item or I could do like a scavenger hunt and behind each number would be a *clue* to where they'd find their surprise. Yipes! Now that I think about it I may be getting in over my head. Time to give that some more thought!
Old 07-22-2009, 09:06 AM   #37
Corrine 1973
What do you mean I am not a princess, don't you see my crown!!!

I don't think that 4 months is an over kill. That's about the time that I started our calandar, actually more like 4 1/2 months.

Now this is just an idea, but instead of giving small items to the kids how about giving them points or pretend money that they could use at your own WDW store. You can purchase some items such as sunglasses, toys, stickers, hair excessories, jewelry, exc. and put them in your pretend store at certain prices that the kids can buy with there money/points. You can have your pretend store once a week or once a month depending on whats good for you.

Can't wait to hear about your first DMFN!
Old 07-23-2009, 06:41 PM   #38
Dreamer & Wisher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyores Butterfly View Post
I love the matching shirts! Some people think it's dorker, but when I worked attractions in Fantasyland, I loved them. Sometimes people can't seem to grasp the concept of telling us how many people are in their party total. They seem to think they know more about grouping people onto a ride than we do and will only tell us the number in their row and then get mad if I accidentally cut off their party! When I see people in matching outfits, it gives me a good idea of how many total there are and where they end. It helps to make sure I am doing my counts right and that the family will be together without any added hassle!
Good to know! We like Matchy Matchy too.

StefaniLynn: I am really enjoying your trip report. I can't wait to read more. Disney Family Nights sound like fun! I may have to start hosting some of those.

If you like ruffles and frills and a few rhinestones thrown in come visit the Disboutique thread. You'll be on cloud 9 We are on the Family Board.

Planning our next trip...
Old 07-23-2009, 11:33 PM   #39
StefaniLyn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrine 1973 View Post
I don't think that 4 months is an over kill. That's about the time that I started our calandar, actually more like 4 1/2 months.

Now this is just an idea, but instead of giving small items to the kids how about giving them points or pretend money that they could use at your own WDW store. You can purchase some items such as sunglasses, toys, stickers, hair excessories, jewelry, exc. and put them in your pretend store at certain prices that the kids can buy with there money/points. You can have your pretend store once a week or once a month depending on whats good for you.

Can't wait to hear about your first DMFN!
K, you've convinced me that 4 months isn't too much (believe me, it didn't take much arm twisting ) I am going to start our countdown calendar after we get back from Seattle. We leave next Thursday and return on August 5th. That gives me less than a week to get it all prepared so it will be ready upon our return home. I also like the points idea and I may play off of that idea too. Like maybe the kids can earn points for doing chores, random acts of kindness, doing something nice for their sisters, behaving themselves in public, etc. Hmmmm . . . . . Me likey that idea! - bribery is the key to good behavior! Would it be terribly evil to take Disney Dollars away for whining and fighting? And the store idea, brilliant! Nothing like a hidden math lesson to add to our Disney Countdown fun! Thanks!
Old 07-23-2009, 11:43 PM   #40
StefaniLyn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer & Wisher View Post
Good to know! We like Matchy Matchy too.

StefaniLynn: I am really enjoying your trip report. I can't wait to read more. Disney Family Nights sound like fun! I may have to start hosting some of those.

If you like ruffles and frills and a few rhinestones thrown in come visit the Disboutique thread. You'll be on cloud 9 We are on the Family Board.
We should start a secret society of Matchy Matchy Moms

I can't wait for our first Disney Family Night either! I wish I could invite you all to my house! I was thinking of inviting our Wish Granter to movie night once or twice. She has 2 small boys and they'd probably enjoy our Cars and Nemo movie nights. Would that be weird? We could also invite some of DDs friends.

I have discovered the Disboutique thread . . . . it's like Christmas to my eyes! I jealously drool over all of the amazing outfits and creations. I WISH I had a fraction of the creativity and ability that you DISBoutiquers have! Those ladies are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!
Old 07-23-2009, 11:50 PM   #41
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

I just found your PTR and I will be following along! Kids are truly resilient and are stronger than adults. Sounds like you guys are going to have a great trip..... I'm looking forward to hearing all your plans!
Old 07-24-2009, 12:38 AM   #42
StefaniLyn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post
I just found your PTR and I will be following along! Kids are truly resilient and are stronger than adults. Sounds like you guys are going to have a great trip..... I'm looking forward to hearing all your plans!
Welcome to our pretrippie! I'm glad you've decided to come along for the ride! I hope to make it an exciting trip for you! You are so correct about the resiliency of kids - Bella's strength and endurance amazes me more each day. Honestly, how many adults are STANDING UP in their crib 2 days after open heart surgery? I'll bet NONE! And then there's Bella, up and running after just 2 days - amazing!
Old 07-24-2009, 07:40 AM   #43
MomTo4+more
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefaniLyn View Post
Welcome to our pretrippie! I'm glad you've decided to come along for the ride! I hope to make it an exciting trip for you! You are so correct about the resiliency of kids - Bella's strength and endurance amazes me more each day. Honestly, how many adults are STANDING UP in their crib 2 days after open heart surgery? I'll bet NONE! And then there's Bella, up and running after just 2 days - amazing!
That sounds like Deyki after he had his spleen removed. Two days later he was running down the halls of the hem/onc floor. I was tired from just staying at the hospital. He's the one recovering from major surgery, and he's filled with energy! Their strength is amazing and inspiring.

In another post, you mentioned taking Disney dollars away for whining and fighting. Here's what we are trying today. We are competing for the "sweetest mouth in the house". Whoever is using their speech in the kindest, most encouraging way wins a piece of candy with dinner. I'll let you know how it goes!
"Sulley" (5)
Follow Deyki's Wish Trip here:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=32472981
Old 07-24-2009, 08:59 AM   #44
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefaniLyn View Post
I totally know what you mean. Our DD (1 at the time) had a Wilms Tumor and needed a nephrectomy (removal of her kidney).... we were in the hospital for a total of 13 days. The night before we left to go home she was given her first dose of chemo. She was finally discharged and when we got home we were trying to keep her relaxing... yea right... she was running around and just being her normal self. It is amazing what kids can endure.... plus they bounce back so much faster than an adult would.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:54 PM   #45
StefaniLyn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomTo4+more View Post

In another post, you mentioned taking Disney dollars away for whining and fighting. Here's what we are trying today. We are competing for the "sweetest mouth in the house". Whoever is using their speech in the kindest, most encouraging way wins a piece of candy with dinner. I'll let you know how it goes!
Definitely let me know how that goes! The stress level is high for us lately and along with that often comes some not-so-sweet mouths in this house! I'd have to include DH and myself in that contest as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post
I totally know what you mean. Our DD (1 at the time) had a Wilms Tumor and needed a nephrectomy (removal of her kidney).... we were in the hospital for a total of 13 days. The night before we left to go home she was given her first dose of chemo. She was finally discharged and when we got home we were trying to keep her relaxing... yea right... she was running around and just being her normal self. It is amazing what kids can endure.... plus they bounce back so much faster than an adult would.
Aren't kids amazing? When you mentioned Wilms tumor, it clicked in my mind that I have read your "ate every character meal" trip report! It was awesome! I'm glad your DD is doing much better now. She's such a CUTIE!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: