Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2009, 07:52 PM   #151
maroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefaniLyn View Post
Tomorrow we officially mark "90 Days to Disney" off our countdown calendar!!!! We're so excited, but I am also very nervous because tomorrow is Reservations Day!

Unfortunately, because you are staying at GKTW - you are considered staying "offsite"... Which means you will need to call 90 days for your first day, again the next day and so on. You may (not likely) get a CM that will let you book if you tell them you are staying at Give Kids the World. But they have no way to verify it, so I seriously doubt they will let you book something more than 90 days out. Having said that...If you are not able to get a ressie on your day...let me know. We will get one for you. The DIS has not let me down for our wish kids yet!

We have always used a travel agent to make our reservations so I have a couple questions about the process that I was hoping I could get a little help on. Please!!

1. Can I only make reservations for Day 1 of our trip tomorrow? Do I need to call back the following day to make ressies for Day 2 and so on and so forth?

Opps...put my answer in the wrong place. See above! )

2. I know I need to pay up front for CRT. Are there any other restaurants that require this?

I think it is only CRT? But you may have to do a credit card hold for others...just depends. But CRT is definitely pre-pay!

3. So far, I intend to make ressies for CRT (may cancel but I know they're hard to come by so I am making it just in case), Epcot Candlelight Processional Dinner package, 1900 Park Fare Happily Ever After Dinner, a Bass Fishing Excursion (see note below) and possibly BBB for all 3 girls (DD10 and DD8 would get basic hair/makeup and DD5WishKid would get the biggest package - still have to find the $$ for this to happen though). What are the best TIMES to book any of these places? Our party will be 6 people.

Some of the restaurants for the CP Dinner Package - especially for SCC, will be VERY hard to get. So you may have to take what you can. You can always try to trade a ressie, if you need to. If you can book something, book it and then you can see if you can trade a ressie for a better time.

BBB - pretty much anytime. If they don't have their heart set on the castle to do BBB - you have more room and such at DTD. I would try to do BBB before your 1900 PF meal? Maybe? But that would be easier to do at the castle if you did that.

One thing to think about...is you could do BBB at DTD on a "non Disney" park day and do 1900 PF, too...and not use a ticket during that time. So...maybe go to Sea World that morning...then BBB at DTD...then 1900 Park Fare and you sorta get an "extra" Disney day...otherwise you will kill a lot of time in MK doing BBB. Does that make sense? But your kids may really want to do that at the castle, which is an experience too! But just a thought?

Another thing to consider... They will do spray paint stuff and pixie dust at the barber shop (they do boys and girls and adults) and it is MUCH cheaper! I think only $12 or something? Worth checking into if you just can't swing BBB.

Can I book all of these by calling the same phone number?

I think they will transfer you for BBB...?

4. Has anyone booked online before? Is the availability the same? Is one method (phone vs online) faster than the other?

Mixed reviews on the DIS. I won't do it for the first time until the day I get back. Online you can do it an hour earlier...I believe it is 6 AM EASTERN time. So, I would try online and see if you can book what you want...and if not, call at 6:58 and get in the queue. You will be amazed how many people call at 7:00. Just keep hitting redial!

5. Because Bella can only tolerate pureed foods and we will be bringing her food with us, do we need to make a reservation for her? Do we need to inform Disney that she has celiac disease (similar to an intolerance to wheat, rye, barley, oat). Will there be any issues carrying in her food?

For reservation purposes, they will count her. For CRT - let them know she can't eat (if you will bring all of her food). You don't have to tell them she has celiac if she won't be eating at all. If she will be eating, then I would definitely tell them and they will have the cook come out and fix her something special. But...if she does not eat at all, they should not make you pay. You may need to talk to a manager if they want to charge you guys. And character meals sometimes will charge something - even if the child does not eat - but it should not be the full charge.

6. If I don't get the ressies I'm hoping for, can they put me on a waiting list?

Disney won't...but the DIS can help you. We will help you get ressies. We can't do a specific time, necessarily, but if you have your heart set on a restaurant, we can get you to eat there at some point in your trip. The DIS is awesome about that kind of stuff!

so much for any assistance you can offer us!

Note on the Bass Fishing Excursion: When my dear FIL took the family to Disney in Jan 08, Bella was too young and too sick to join us on 2 guided bass fishing excursions that we booked. Because we were on the Deluxe dining package at the time, we took full advantage of the water sports benefit and went fishing twice with AJ and Kennedy. It was a blast!

While discussing our upcoming trip with FIL, he asked if we were taking the girls fishing so Bella could go this time. I said no because of the cost, and he offered to pay for it. I declined, knowing that booking it off the package is quite expensive. When the possibility of doing the Candlelight Processional Dinner Package came up, FIL again offered to pay (mostly because MIL going with us REALLY wants to see CP and it was still a "maybe" on our list at that point until I figured out our budget) but he put one stipulation on it. FIL said he would ONLY pay for the Candlelight Processional Dinner Package if we promised to let him pay for a Bass Fishing Excursion! Stuck between a rock and a hard place I agreed to book both the CPDP and BFE during Bella's Wish Trip! Seriously, I have the best in-laws in the whole wide world!
Aw!! That is awesome! Take everyone up on whatever they want to give you guys. You guys have been through the ringer and anything we can all do to help you - please let us! Even your inlaws! They sound awesome!

PM me if you have any questions. I leave for Disney in HOURS! Woo Hoo!!
Old 09-03-2009, 07:58 PM   #152
Dreamer & Wisher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Tomorrow we officially mark "90 Days to Disney" off our countdown calendar!!!! We're so excited, but I am also very nervous because tomorrow is Reservations Day!

We have always used a travel agent to make our reservations so I have a couple questions about the process that I was hoping I could get a little help on. Please!!

1. Can I only make reservations for Day 1 of our trip tomorrow? Do I need to call back the following day to make ressies for Day 2 and so on and so forth?
If you are staying on site you can make reservations for up to 10 days after your arrival day. 90 + 10 I don't know if they consider Give Kids the world Onsite.
Quote:
2. I know I need to pay up front for CRT. Are there any other restaurants that require this?
Some other restaurants require you to use a credit card to hold your reservations like Akershus or a Fantasmic Dinner Package
Quote:
3. So far, I intend to make ressies for CRT (may cancel but I know they're hard to come by so I am making it just in case), Epcot Candlelight Processional Dinner package, 1900 Park Fare Happily Ever After Dinner, a Bass Fishing Excursion (see note below) and possibly BBB for all 3 girls (DD10 and DD8 would get basic hair/makeup and DD5WishKid would get the biggest package - still have to find the $$ for this to happen though). What are the best TIMES to book any of these places? Our party will be 6 people.

I don't know about this one.
Quote:
4. Has anyone booked online before? Is the availability the same? Is one method (phone vs online) faster than the other?
Booking online is really easy. You can book online at 6:00 am EDT if you call you have to wait until 7:00 am here is where you go to book online http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/restaurants/
Quote:
5. Because Bella can only tolerate pureed foods and we will be bringing her food with us, do we need to make a reservation for her? Do we need to inform Disney that she has celiac disease (similar to an intolerance to wheat, rye, barley, oat). Will there be any issues carrying in her food?
Disney can make accommodations for celiac disease Here is a dining review from a family with someone who can't have gluten. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2265042
You can have your reservations noted when you call that you need gluten free meals. The chef will create things for you that are gluten free like Mickey waffles. Also, call the special dietary request line (which we didn't even know existed). That number is 407-824-5967. When you call, the automated message will ask you to leave your name, phone number, and email. You will receive a response through email the next day, in which you are asked to fill out a dietary request form outlining your specific dietary needs, what restaurants you have made reservations for, the reservation number, day and time.
Quote:
6. If I don't get the ressies I'm hoping for, can they put me on a waiting list?
Unfortunately there aren't any waiting lists. If you don't get everything you hope for just keep trying!

Quote:

Note on the Bass Fishing Excursion: When my dear FIL took the family to Disney in Jan 08, Bella was too young and too sick to join us on 2 guided bass fishing excursions that we booked. Because we were on the Deluxe dining package at the time, we took full advantage of the water sports benefit and went fishing twice with AJ and Kennedy. It was a blast!

While discussing our upcoming trip with FIL, he asked if we were taking the girls fishing so Bella could go this time. I said no because of the cost, and he offered to pay for it. I declined, knowing that booking it off the package is quite expensive. When the possibility of doing the Candlelight Processional Dinner Package came up, FIL again offered to pay (mostly because MIL going with us REALLY wants to see CP and it was still a "maybe" on our list at that point until I figured out our budget) but he put one stipulation on it. FIL said he would ONLY pay for the Candlelight Processional Dinner Package if we promised to let him pay for a Bass Fishing Excursion! Stuck between a rock and a hard place I agreed to book both the CPDP and BFE during Bella's Wish Trip! Seriously, I have the best in-laws in the whole wide world!
That fishing trip sounds like fun. How nice of your FIL to pay for both. What a magical vacation you are going to have!

Planning our next trip...
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #153
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

Quote:

Since you are staying offsite, you can only make ressies for your 1st day. Then Saturday the next day and so on.

There are... I'd have to see your list again.... but most don't!

I'd start with the hardest first... CRT then go from there...CP dinner pkg.. 1900. The BBB in MK is very busy from what I understand. You can try the DTD one too. The CM should be able to help you with this. Call the dining number first then they should be able to transfer you. If not main # (407) 824-2222. If you are on hold with dining, use your cell to call the main # to book BBB.

I'd call and explain the allergies to the CM while booking. You can also jump online while you are on the phone. From what I been hearing you can book online at 6am est.

I am not positive but I believe you have to add her to the ressie. In the case of CRT you should ask the CM. I am not sure about the other questions here.

I think you are in the same boat as everyone else.. But you can continue to call and check online. Also Maroo has been known to help wish kids get some very tough to get ressies!

That's awesome that your FIL would do this!!!
Old 09-03-2009, 09:36 PM   #154
lovesdumbo
DIS Veteran

Quote:

While discussing our upcoming trip with FIL, he asked if we were taking the girls fishing so Bella could go this time. I said no because of the cost, and he offered to pay for it. I declined, knowing that booking it off the package is quite expensive. When the possibility of doing the Candlelight Processional Dinner Package came up, FIL again offered to pay (mostly because MIL going with us REALLY wants to see CP and it was still a "maybe" on our list at that point until I figured out our budget) but he put one stipulation on it. FIL said he would ONLY pay for the Candlelight Processional Dinner Package if we promised to let him pay for a Bass Fishing Excursion! Stuck between a rock and a hard place I agreed to book both the CPDP and BFE during Bella's Wish Trip! Seriously, I have the best in-laws in the whole wide world![/SIZE][/COLOR]

First, I am so sorry that I have fallen behind on your PTR. Things have been a bit crazy here....I want to go back and catch up but I read about you doing the fishing excursion in an email notification and just had to respond.

We did the fishing in August and had a blast!!!! I bought a Birbaum's Walt Disney World 2009 guide on Amazon for $11.53 and it had a 20% off coupon for fishing in it! Fishing is $260 so that is a $52 discount. It is $230 if you do the 1pm trip. From all that I've read though they will only take 5 on the boat.

Hope to catch up on your trip report soon!

Last edited by lovesdumbo; 09-04-2009 at 06:32 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:00 PM   #155
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

Your latest movie night sounds wonderful. You are really creating some fantastic family memories through these. I know your girls will really look back on these and count them as a blessing! Go, Mom, go!!

What a wonderful FIL you DO have! I"d say take advantage of his generosity (in a healthy way) of his offers; and rest in knowing that it is as much a blessing to him to be able to give.

THe girls looks fab in their new duds!! Bummer about a bee sting on the first day, though.

Old 09-05-2009, 01:44 PM   #157
StefaniLyn
DIS Veteran

Noooooooo!! I've been shut down, denied, declined, rejected, disallowed! Realistically, (keep in mind, this happened yesterday morning at 5AM) a very nice CM on the phone nicely told me to call back Sunday morning to make my reservation for December 5th for CPDP with SCC. It was worth a shot though!

It wasn't exactly a shocker as I knew that the chances of getting a reservation pre-90 days without staying on Disney property was slim, but I had to at least say I tried. The sweet CM also gave me a couple of suggestions for restaurants and told me that she has seen quite a few openings for CPDP at most of the restaurants. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and setting the alarm for 4:45 am - AGAIN!

Thank you to everyone who offered advice about our the reservation and dining process. In the interest of space, I'm not going to quote each individual. However, I did want to post a few replies:

KDZBear mentioned a successful gluten free Disney dining experience with her friend's daughter. Last year, when we had free dining, we tried to include Bella when we dined. Gluten free is usually possible for the Disney chefs, but gluten free and pureed seemed impossible. Unfortunately, out of our 7 days of free dining, there was only 1 meal Bella was able to eat. The "pureed" food at other meals were very chunky. Bella can hardly tolerate the texture of applesauce so those foods were not usable. If we were on the free dining plan, I'd probably give it a shot again, but since we're paying out of pocket for meals at the parks, I don't want to pay the $$ for food that Bella likely won't be able to eat anyway. I thank you for your suggestions and once Bella is able to eat "real" (not pureed) food, we would love to let her eat her way through Disney Gluten Free!

After reading all the advice offered by Maroo, Dreamer & Wisher, and That's Nice, and then re-reading it to DH after he got home from work, we developed the following plan of attack for getting dining reservations.

Tomorrow: Try to get reservations for Candlelight Processional Dining Package (with Steven Curtis Chapman as the guest narrator)
Ideally, we would like to get dining reservations for lunch on December 5th (Saturday) at 11am for one of our top 3 choices which are:
1st choice – Nine Dragons (Tier 2)
2nd choice – San Angel Inn (Tier 2)
3rd choice – Teppan Edo (Tier 3)

Tuesday: Call to reserve CRT for sometime around lunch (we plan on spending almost day at MK so I will be able to be flexible on the time of our reservation.

Has anyone ever done CP breakfast ressie and tried to make it back to the entrance in time for a rope drop? Rope drop is a #1 priority, but if we could squeeze in a little CP with Pooh & Friends, as well as pictures in front of the castle with noone else around I would be thrilled beyond belief! I think I'll make an 8:05 breakfast ressie at CP just in case.

Wednesday: Call to get reservations for the following-
* Bass Fishing (not yet sure where the best place is to launch from ???)
* BBB at DTD
* 1900 Park Fare Happily Ever After Dinner

I'll be so extatic when next week is over so I can start concentrating on one of my favorite parts of Disney planning - wardrobe! Thus far, I've focused my attention on Disney Family Nights and now making all of our reservations and planning days. I'm so hoping the Disney store (online or outlets) have some good sales coming up!
Old 09-05-2009, 03:01 PM   #158
StefaniLyn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesdumbo View Post
First, I am so sorry that I have fallen behind on your PTR. Things have been a bit crazy here....I want to go back and catch up but I read about you doing the fishing excursion in an email notification and just had to respond.

We did the fishing in August and had a blast!!!! I bought a Birbaum's Walt Disney World 2009 guide on Amazon for $11.53 and it had a 20% off coupon for fishing in it! Fishing is $260 so that is a $52 discount. It is $230 if you do the 1pm trip. From all that I've read though they will only take 5 on the boat.

Hope to catch up on your trip report soon!
Thanks for the tip. I just ordered that book off of Amazon! I'd love to save FIL some $$ if I can! Is there a code on the coupon, or can I call back when I get the code and apply it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
Your latest movie night sounds wonderful. You are really creating some fantastic family memories through these. I know your girls will really look back on these and count them as a blessing! Go, Mom, go!!

What a wonderful FIL you DO have! I"d say take advantage of his generosity (in a healthy way) of his offers; and rest in knowing that it is as much a blessing to him to be able to give.

THe girls looks fab in their new duds!! Bummer about a bee sting on the first day, though.
DFNs are turning out to be some of our best times ever. With school, soccer, work, PTO, Board Meetings, and other stuff, sometimes we need an excuse to slow down and enjoy time together.

My inlaws are the best.

Back to school is a difficult time of year for me, but shopping for school clothes and supplies makes missing my babies for 7 hours a day hurt a little bit less.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:39 PM   #159
kimmylaj
DIS Veteran

i've done crystal palace 1st ressie and made it to fantasyland as people were walking down mainstreet, on another trip we were done eating but had only seen 2 characters before the masses were down mainstreet. we were done eating but characters were moving slow that day. i gave my family the choice and they chose rides. good luck . we do tend to be fast eaters though.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:59 PM   #160
Sandy321
Crazy enough to want to do another Half Marathon!
If it were all about me? - I'd go with the Princesses!!

Quote:
Has anyone ever done CP breakfast ressie and tried to make it back to the entrance in time for a rope drop? Rope drop is a #1 priority, but if we could squeeze in a little CP with Pooh & Friends, as well as pictures in front of the castle with noone else around I would be thrilled beyond belief! I think I'll make an 8:05 breakfast ressie at CP just in case.
Not sure if I understand what you are asking. First it all depends on if it is an early magic hour or not (EMH park opens at 8am - no morning show! no early entry for breakfast people!)

SO get to the park around 7:45am - (if you take a bus, it is a long walk from the bus to the entry!) when they allow everyone in - take your time if you want pictures - make your way slowly to take your picture s- your space at CP will be reserved!

IF you want to eat - and then make it back to the train station on the outside of the park to see the singing and dancing at park opening - that will be hard to do - you will have to leave before seeing all the characters...

If you want to get to Fantasyland at the same time as the rest of the masses - that is doable - watch the time - head out at 8:45 to the castle - there will be CM's holding a rope at all the hubs waiting for the signal to drop the ropes!!

I'll PM another secret
Old 09-05-2009, 10:17 PM   #161
lovesdumbo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I just ordered that book off of Amazon! I'd love to save FIL some $$ if I can! Is there a code on the coupon, or can I call back when I get the code and apply it?
No code on the coupon.

We were staying at the Poly so we did a 7am trip from there. After we did our fishing our guide brought us over to the marina at Ft Wilderness and I paid there. The CM took the coupon without any questions.

Our guide said there tends to be more fish in the Bay Lake area but he said that the fish tend to be bigger in the Epcot area.

I think I've done an 8am breakfast at the Crystal Palace more than 10 times. I love walking down a nearly empty Main St! You won't be able to see all the characters and make it back to the entrance for the 9am opening. The opening ceremony is cute but walking down Main St is more magical.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:50 PM   #162
StefaniLyn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmylaj View Post
i've done crystal palace 1st ressie and made it to fantasyland as people were walking down mainstreet, on another trip we were done eating but had only seen 2 characters before the masses were down mainstreet. we were done eating but characters were moving slow that day. i gave my family the choice and they chose rides. good luck . we do tend to be fast eaters though.
I'm still on the fence, though this information is quite helpful. I suppose a lot of it depends on where you are seated and how fast the characters are moving. Clearly there is no guarantee either way! I'm going to make the CP ressie and probably make the call last minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy321 View Post
Not sure if I understand what you are asking. First it all depends on if it is an early magic hour or not (EMH park opens at 8am - no morning show! no early entry for breakfast people!)

SO get to the park around 7:45am - (if you take a bus, it is a long walk from the bus to the entry!) when they allow everyone in - take your time if you want pictures - make your way slowly to take your picture s- your space at CP will be reserved!

IF you want to eat - and then make it back to the train station on the outside of the park to see the singing and dancing at park opening - that will be hard to do - you will have to leave before seeing all the characters...

If you want to get to Fantasyland at the same time as the rest of the masses - that is doable - watch the time - head out at 8:45 to the castle - there will be CM's holding a rope at all the hubs waiting for the signal to drop the ropes!!

I'll PM another secret
Thanks so much for the info (and the pm too). Eating at CP isn't a big deal (we've done it 2Xs) but I thought it would be a great way to get in the park early for pictures and a magical walk down M.S.USA. Does the rope drop take place at the castle or at the train station?

Quote:
No code on the coupon.

We were staying at the Poly so we did a 7am trip from there. After we did our fishing our guide brought us over to the marina at Ft Wilderness and I paid there. The CM took the coupon without any questions.

Our guide said there tends to be more fish in the Bay Lake area but he said that the fish tend to be bigger in the Epcot area.

I think I've done an 8am breakfast at the Crystal Palace more than 10 times. I love walking down a nearly empty Main St! You won't be able to see all the characters and make it back to the entrance for the 9am opening. The opening ceremony is cute but walking down Main St is more magical.
Thanks! We departed from Poly also, but that was because we were staying there at the time. Would Contemporary be easier for parking purposes? Last timme we fished in the Epcot area and Bay Lake and we actually had better luck at Bay Lake but I caught the biggest fish in Epcot.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:51 AM   #163
lovesdumbo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Does the rope drop take place at the castle or at the train station?
The opening ceremony is at the train station.

Quote:
Thanks! We departed from Poly also, but that was because we were staying there at the time. Would Contemporary be easier for parking purposes? Last timme we fished in the Epcot area and Bay Lake and we actually had better luck at Bay Lake but I caught the biggest fish in Epcot.
I guess it would depend what your plans were before & after fishing. You could probably park at any resort you're fishing from. Or you could park at TTC and walk over to the Poly or park at TTC and monorail to Poly, GF or CR.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:23 AM   #164
luv2scrapmm
Earning My Ears

New to the boards and just read your reports. Princess Bella really has such a beautiful smile. Have a wonderful trip!!!
Old 09-06-2009, 02:01 PM   #165
StefaniLyn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The opening ceremony is at the train station.

I guess it would depend what your plans were before & after fishing. You could probably park at any resort you're fishing from. Or you could park at TTC and walk over to the Poly or park at TTC and monorail to Poly, GF or CR.
Do you think our fishing trip be more successful if we go at 7am as opposed to the 10:00? Our Bass fishing day plans will likely also include a trip to BBB at DTD and then Happily Ever After dinner at 1900 Park Fare. Is there a way to use Disney transportation (preferably not bus but we'll take what we can get) to get to/from all three of these locations if we park at TTC in the morning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2scrapmm View Post
New to the boards and just read your reports. Princess Bella really has such a beautiful smile. Have a wonderful trip!!!

to my PTR and the DISboards. I assumed you were a scrapbooker by your name and found another post by you in the scrapbook challenge. I LOVE your AK Safari layout!!! It is just beautiful! I haven't make the jump to digital (yet!) - I just wouldn't know where to start. But I love scrapbooking as well. I hope you enjoy my PTR!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: