Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2009, 01:33 AM   #136
StefaniLyn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelley00 View Post
I was totally scoping out Candelight Processional with SCC as the narrator. We changed our dates and can't do it now , but I would do it in a heartbeat with him. He's a wonderful speaker, and I can't imagine anyone doing a better job with the story than he, because he believes in the meaning. I'd skip CRT just because you've done it before.

Keep the kidney
I think the kidney is definitely going to stay. I never know what medical surprise Bella will pull next so I'm keeping it on hand *just in case* And I'm starting to come around to giving up CRT for a CP Dinner package. If only SCC could somehow incorporate "Cinderella" into the musical story of Christmas,

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroo View Post
SCC is one of my very favorites! I would love to hear him do it! I will miss him by days.

I can assure you that EACH of those nights will be quite busy. I would definitely shoot for the 5:00 show so that you don't miss any of the GKTW evening stuff. Plus is usually has less of a line and lunch is cheaper than dinner.

That song...used to make me cry even before his daughter died. But now...I just can not listen to it without crying. It is so, so sad. And so beautiful.

EDIT: Edited to add.... If you get a lunch ressie, then you get "tickets" to the 5:00 show. If you get a dinner ressie, then you get tickets to one of the later shows. Does that make sense??
I'm sorry you will miss SCC. Hopefully you can live vicariously through my trip report if we are able to see him. I know it's not the same, but . . .

The "Cinderella" song . . . . Little Angel Maria . . .the thought of it all is incredibly saddening. I recently read that SCC has started singing it again at his concerts. What an incredibly strong, faithful man. A true inspiration.

I was hoping for tix to a 5:00 CP however, I noticed that Garden Grill (tier 1 - cheapest tickets) doesn't open until 4:30! Obvioiusly we wouldn't be able to eat and make it over to the CP within 1/2 hour. Will Garden Grill open for lunch hours just for CP?

I'm really not all that interested in any of the Tier 2 restaurants, and not willing to splurge on the Tier 3 choices. What to do, what to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrine 1973 View Post
It is so funny that two of you have mentioned watching Mulan and doing Chinese Take out. We are doing that movie the week after next and we are totally doing take out. It is the last DMFN before we leave and I am all for nice and simple.

I guess great minds do think a like
Really? Just 2 more weeks?!?! How exciting!! and, I concur with your conclusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by All7OfUs View Post
Well, unfortunately, the whole CP thing is lost on me. I"m hitting a big fat, zero for 2 here. I didn't know about Hannah either. Sorry, I'm just not much help here.

It all sounds wonderful and all that, so I'll just go get another cup of coffee and watch you all have fun with it.

Do love me some SCC though.
Thanks for chiming in and following along Liesa. I know you will be able to provide a plethera of information for me when it comes to Disney secrets - I saw a preview of that over on Tim's PTR and already took notes.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:58 AM   #137
StefaniLyn
DIS Veteran

Just a little Bella update for those following along

I just wanted to give you all a synopsis of Bella's recent medical "stuff" so as not to leave you all hanging from my last pity party regarding the hearing aids.

With the encouragement of all of you here on the DIS as well as some friends, I have begun to embrace the fact that Bella will be wearing hearing aids and realize what a blessing it is that we live in a time with incredible technology that will enable my DD to hear perfectly despite her hearing loss. Thankfully, this realization came before I told Bella that she would be getting hearing aids and before our appointment.

A couple days before the appointment, I told Bella she was very lucky. That she was sooooo special, she was getting super hero hearing abilities! This intrigued her and she was very excited for the appointment.

The appointment last Saturday, went exceptionally well. Bella was excited because she got through an appointment with no pokes, prods, blood pressure, stethoscope, or other intrusive instruments. This was purely a consultative appointment as all the legwork was already done.

The doctor explained the process as well as the possible hearing aids. I explained our dilemma to him and he understood my concerns. He then allowed Bella to decide what color she wanted for her hearing aids. I explained that she could get brown to blend in with her hair or light peach to blend in with her skin . . . . OR, she could pick any color she wanted. There were lots of choices, blue, pink, purple, zebra striped, and even leopard print!

This is what Bella selected:

It will take about 3 weeks to process insurance and get them fitted. Bella is very excited and tells everyone about her new, purple hearing aids with super hero hearing powers!

In other news, test results for diabetes came back negative but did reveal that Bella continues to suffer from rapid gastric emptrying (aka dumping syndrome) that causes her blood sugar to spike after eating, making her feel very sick. Because eating makes her sick, feeding her has been a struggle as she refuses to eat her pureed foods or drink her formula. When that happens, we must follow a protocol that involves blocking her hands and holding the food to her mouth until she takes a bite. Sometimes a single bite can take up to 45 minutes!

Her doctor prescribed a medication called acarbose to inhibit the sugar from being absorbed but thus far it has been ineffective. Using a glucometer, we take her blood sugar 15 minutes after each meal. It generally ranges from 230-240. Typical for her should be about 80-120. Clearly we still have a problem.

So the saga of Bella's medical drama continues . . . . . . .

oh yes, and one other little thing. Now that it is past midnight here our trip countdown has officially travelled into double digits! That's right, just 99 more days until Bella's Wish Comes True!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-26-2009, 02:36 AM   #138
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great
What a fun way to meet new folks and say howdy

Tell Bella, she's one stylin' chick with those snazzy hearing aids!!! I definitely want to see a picture of her with them on!!!

I can see that your daily struggle in feeing her is parmount to frustration!!! I simply could NOT deal with that!!! You have reached sainthood in my book, my friend!

I"ve never even heard of "dumping". No wonder the poor little princess feels crappy after eating!!! Poor thing!!

And looky!! Here you are celebrating 99 days , and here I am thinking I'm almost to one year.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:48 AM   #139
aaronandterri
We love disney!
Does that mean were ok?

Garden grill isnt open for lunch for the candlelight package.
Those hearing aids looks great im sure shell love them x

My how they Grow~ My very own Captin Jack *
Old 08-27-2009, 05:42 PM   #140
StefaniLyn
DIS Veteran

Chapter 17 - Disney Family Afternoon # 4 - Mulan

I swear, if there ever comes a time when we are able to have a Disney Family Night without some sort of glitch, I'll spend the night worried about what will go wrong! :

So if you're keeping up, you'll notice that Mulan was slated for later on and this week's movie was supposed to be Lion King. Well, this week has been insanely hectic and I just didn't have time for menu planning so we made a last minute change. Ordering Chinese food would be much easier than preparing a whole meal so it was decided that Mulan would move up on our list and we'd save Lion King for later! And because our weekend is booked solid as is this evening, we moved Disney Family Night to this afternoon!

Since this was a last minute switch, we once again scrambled to find a copy of the movie. We checked our video library - no luck! So we called Family Video. They don't even have the original Mulan?!?!? And their copy of Mulan 2 was checked out! Just my luck. But before we headed to Wal-Mart to blow another $20 on a Disney movie, I checked our On Demand Pay Per View movie listing and wouldn't you know, THEY HAD IT! So a couple clicks of the remote and just $2.99 later, Mulan Disney Family Afternoon was officially a GO!

Our Mulan Craft for this afternoon was Chinese Paper Lanterns:

Thankfully, this was a super simple craft that turned out really well. I had all the supplies necessary (thick scrapbook cardstock paper, stamps, markers, adhesive, and scissors). Simply decorate one side of a 12X12 paper. Then fold it in half, mark 5 inch lines every inch from the open side towards the crease. Then cut on these lines. Wrap the paper into a roll and glue the ends together. Then smush it down so the sides bend out, and tie a string to hang it with. Aren't they cute? (the lanterns, and the kids )

Kennedy cutting her lines

Bella decorating her lantern

AJ coloring her lantern

Kennedy hanging her lantern

Our menu for the evening:
Due to time constraints AND the lack of planning as previously mentioned, we ordered Chinese food from our favorite place, Golden Dragon. Yummy!
Mulan Fried Wontons
Mushu's Egg Drop Soup
Captain Li-Shang Sesame Chicken
Emporer's Egg Rolls
Little Brother (Mulan's Dog) Beef with Broccoli
Fa Ping (Mulan's name as a man) Kung Pow Chicken

Bella's Gluten Free version of Dinner

Of course, what would Chinese food be without chopsticks? AJ did a grea job with them!

Bella didn't eat much, but she did lick/try everything and she ate a lot of the soup broth

Kennedy performing a kung fu move with her chopsticks

And then she ate with them

And for desert - Fortune Cookies of course

and we promised the girls we would stop at the store and pick up some HUN-ney Buns for tonight!

I just love this picture of Bella's Mulan figurine - she watched the movie with us!

Bella and Kennedy using DH as a pillow while they watch Mulan

Overall, I'd call it a success!
Old 08-28-2009, 01:13 AM   #141
All7OfUs
We too are so very NOT into traipsing through the dark when a bucket will do just great

Adorable!! We are going to do that craft today. My daughter just now saw them, and asked if we could. She honey, why not? I tell her!

As for Take out Chinese, NOT going to happen. But I could make fried rice for dinner Easy, peasy!

Old 08-31-2009, 05:01 PM   #142
wkualum
Mouseketeer

What an awesome Mulan movie night. You ladies impress me with your creativity.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:33 AM   #143
StefaniLyn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Adorable!! We are going to do that craft today. My daughter just now saw them, and asked if we could. She honey, why not? I tell her!

As for Take out Chinese, NOT going to happen. But I could make fried rice for dinner Easy, peasy!
LOL. . . I wish I could have my Chinese delivery guy deliver to you over in Blank-A-Stan Liesa! How did your Chinese paper lanterns turn out? They were the perfect craft for us last week as I already had all the supplies at home! They're still hanging in our living room!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkualum View Post
What an awesome Mulan movie night. You ladies impress me with your creativity.
Thank you so much! It was a lot of fun! And thanks for reading along on my PTR!
Old 09-01-2009, 10:13 AM   #144
All7OfUs

Well, first we ran out of time that day; then the next day, I got sick and so did DH! We think it may be the flu, in fact. So, we'll have to put that off until my tummy settles down.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:09 AM   #145
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

Looks like you had another great movie night!!!

That Chinese food looks really good!
Old 09-03-2009, 04:11 PM   #146
StefaniLyn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Tell Bella, she's one stylin' chick with those snazzy hearing aids!!! I definitely want to see a picture of her with them on!!!

I can see that your daily struggle in feeing her is parmount to frustration!!! I simply could NOT deal with that!!! You have reached sainthood in my book, my friend!

I"ve never even heard of "dumping". No wonder the poor little princess feels crappy after eating!!! Poor thing!!

And looky!! Here you are celebrating 99 days , and here I am thinking I'm almost to one year.
A Saint, unfortunately I am not But thank you. I just do what I must to keep her mended little ticker ticking. Bella, on the other hand, is a Saint for tolerating the incredible number of medical procedures, appointments, surgeries, pokes, and prods that she endures year after year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronandterri View Post
Garden grill isnt open for lunch for the candlelight package.
Those hearing aids looks great im sure shell love them x
Thanks for the tip on Garden Grill. I think my first choice will be lunch at Nine Dragons with San Angel Inn as a back up. I've never eaten at either one and they aren't my first choice, but since Garden Grill is out and I'm certain AJ wouldn't touch anything on Biergarten's menu, we are forced to move up to Tier 2. I'd love to do Teppan Edo or Coral Reef, but we just can't afford to splurge that much on one meal.

Bella says "thanks" for the compliment on her hearing aids. She's very excited to get them!

Quote:
Well, first we ran out of time that day; then the next day, I got sick and so did DH! We think it may be the flu, in fact. So, we'll have to put that off until my tummy settles down.
Yucky! Not the flu! Is it swine flu? I hope you're feeling better by now! Post pictures if/when you make your lanterns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post
Looks like you had another great movie night!!!

That Chinese food looks really good!
It is gooooooood chinese. Does Juliana like Chinese? I swear this was the easiest DFN we've had thus far and you could easily pull it off! Just a phone call to Chinese for dinner, a couple pieces of paper, crayons, stickers, glue, ribbon, and scissors for the project was all that was required!
Old 09-03-2009, 04:18 PM   #147
StefaniLyn
DIS Veteran

Wanted to share - First day of school pictures

The girls in their first day of school outfits - ready for their first day of the 2009-10 school year!

Isabella Claire - Kindergarten! Bella had a great first day. I will be feeding Bella's meals 2X per day for the first week and then training staff on her feeding protocol. Her first two meals were so-so, but I think her level of refusal was a little shocking to several staff members!

Kennedy Michaela - 3rd Grade! Kennedy told me she had the "worst first day ever!" because she was stung by a bee AND lost her favorite sweatshirt. Did I ever mention that she can be a drama queen?

Adrianna Jadyn (AJ) 5th Grade - AJ LOVES 5th grade and especially her teacher! She didn't stop talking about it all night long!

Old 09-03-2009, 05:27 PM   #148
StefaniLyn
DIS Veteran

Chapter 18 - Disney Family Night #5 - High School Musical

We are now less than 100 days away from Bella's Make A Wish trip to DISNEYWORLD! Once again, it's that time of the week - time for Disney Family Night! Now that school is back in session, I had hoped to avoid school nights as DFN can go quite late. However, due to DH work schedule, it was unavoidable this week and the stage was set for Wednesday night! This week's movie of the week is . . . . . HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL! We watched #3-Senior Year because it was the only HSM availble in Redbox.

Craft Project: Decorating foam glitter covered HSM colored visors with glitter glue. Very easy and minimal mess!

Bella decorates her visor

AJ decorating her visor

Kennedy reaches for the silver glitter glue

The girls in their super cute HSM visors!

Bella announcing the movie of the evening! Notice the HSM pajamas!!!

Activity: Basketball of course! We headed outside and played a game of HORSE, but we spelled D-I-S-N-E-Y instead. Of course, Bella needed a little boost so Daddy helped her reach the hoop. Daddy's turn was after Bella (who almost always made her basket) so we then let Bella choose where Daddy had to take his next shot from.

Bella thought it was funny to have Daddy try from behind the van parked in the driveway.
This was the result. I think DH got "N" for this shot!

Last shot of the evening - after Bella's slam dunk, she chose "on the trampoline" for Daddy's next shot. Daddy already had D-I-S-N- and E. Do you think he got "Y"? Yes he did! Game over!

Then we headed back in for dinner!

Tonight's Menu:
Appetizer #1 - HSM Apples with caramel dip
. Kennedy loved it, AJ tolerated the caramel for her one required bite but preferred the apples alone, and Bella tasted the caramel but didn't like it.

Appetizer #2 -Troy's Taco Dip! This delicious concoction is a recipie from Bella's buddy Coleman's family. Take Hormel No Beans Chili, mix with velveeta, 1lb browned meat (they use beef, but we prefer turkey), and taco sauce. Yummy! Bella LOVED the taco dip and ate several bites, including a couple pieces of ground meat. AJ and Kennedy both liked it as well!

After the appetizers and as the girls waited for their meals, we played a little Disney Trivia with this cool electronic trivia book that Kennedy found on her bookshelf

Our meal for High School Musical family night -
Basketball Pizzas - halved english muffin, toasted, then layered with pizza sauce, pepperoni, and cheese. Bake at 400 until cheese begins to brown.
Gabriella's Garlic Bread - store bought garlic bread
Sharpay's Salad - my sneaky way to get the girls to eat veggies!
All served on a cafeteria style tray with cartons of strawberry or chocolate milk for the drink.

Bella's gluten free version. We baked pizza sauce, pepperoni, and cheese on a piece of wax paper in the oven for her gluten free version of the pizza. She enjoyed it and ate one whole pepperoni!

Desert - Microphone cup cake cones! Prepare cupcake mix according to directions on the box and then fill ice cream cones 2/3 full with mixture. Then bake 25 minutes. Top with chooclate frosting and sprinkles!

Side note: Did you think we actually made it through a DFN without our routine little bump in the road tonight? WRONG! When we went to play basketball, we discovered our ball had gone missing. (it probably rolled down the driveway and then down the street - we live on a hill) Thankfully, we were able to borrow on from our neighbor down the street (that's why she's in one of the pictures above. Thanks Jordan!) Now we need to get a new basketball!!

UP NEXT: RESERVATIONS DAY TOMORROW!
Old 09-03-2009, 05:54 PM   #149
StefaniLyn
DIS Veteran

Questions about ressies -

Tomorrow we officially mark "90 Days to Disney" off our countdown calendar!!!! We're so excited, but I am also very nervous because tomorrow is Reservations Day!

We have always used a travel agent to make our reservations so I have a couple questions about the process that I was hoping I could get a little help on. Please!!

1. Can I only make reservations for Day 1 of our trip tomorrow? Do I need to call back the following day to make ressies for Day 2 and so on and so forth?

2. I know I need to pay up front for CRT. Are there any other restaurants that require this?

3. So far, I intend to make ressies for CRT (may cancel but I know they're hard to come by so I am making it just in case), Epcot Candlelight Processional Dinner package, 1900 Park Fare Happily Ever After Dinner, a Bass Fishing Excursion (see note below) and possibly BBB for all 3 girls (DD10 and DD8 would get basic hair/makeup and DD5WishKid would get the biggest package - still have to find the $$ for this to happen though). What are the best TIMES to book any of these places? Our party will be 6 people.

Can I book all of these by calling the same phone number?

4. Has anyone booked online before? Is the availability the same? Is one method (phone vs online) faster than the other?

5. Because Bella can only tolerate pureed foods and we will be bringing her food with us, do we need to make a reservation for her? Do we need to inform Disney that she has celiac disease (similar to an intolerance to wheat, rye, barley, oat). Will there be any issues carrying in her food?

6. If I don't get the ressies I'm hoping for, can they put me on a waiting list?

so much for any assistance you can offer us!

Note on the Bass Fishing Excursion: When my dear FIL took the family to Disney in Jan 08, Bella was too young and too sick to join us on 2 guided bass fishing excursions that we booked. Because we were on the Deluxe dining package at the time, we took full advantage of the water sports benefit and went fishing twice with AJ and Kennedy. It was a blast!

While discussing our upcoming trip with FIL, he asked if we were taking the girls fishing so Bella could go this time. I said no because of the cost, and he offered to pay for it. I declined, knowing that booking it off the package is quite expensive. When the possibility of doing the Candlelight Processional Dinner Package came up, FIL again offered to pay (mostly because MIL going with us REALLY wants to see CP and it was still a "maybe" on our list at that point until I figured out our budget) but he put one stipulation on it. FIL said he would ONLY pay for the Candlelight Processional Dinner Package if we promised to let him pay for a Bass Fishing Excursion! Stuck between a rock and a hard place I agreed to book both the CPDP and BFE during Bella's Wish Trip! Seriously, I have the best in-laws in the whole wide world!
Old 09-03-2009, 06:31 PM   #150
kdzbear
DIS Veteran

5. Because Bella can only tolerate pureed foods and we will be bringing her food with us, do we need to make a reservation for her? Do we need to inform Disney that she has celiac disease (similar to an intolerance to wheat, rye, barley, oat). Will there be any issues carrying in her food?

Disney chefs can actually make food that your daughter can eat. I have a friend who has a daughter with celiac's disease too. I don't still have the article I sent her, but I wish I did. It was about how Disney made a family's dream come true since their child with celiac's disease was able to order off the menu and eat. They were able to make foods their child could eat. Just let them know when you make your reservation and they will take care of everything else.

Tyler's Wish Trip (Nov. 20-25, 2009): http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2154359 Sept. 12-20, 2009 Trip report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2292505

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: