Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2009, 10:58 AM   #1
tikilyn
DIS Veteran

I have an Apple Ipod question.

I'm already gathering info from my soon to be 9yr old dd for christmas. One of the items on her wish list is an Apple Ipod. She wants an itouch but I think not (at least until she's older). So I'm looking at an 8 gig nano. On the Apple site they have the refurbs for 99.00. Thats a great price! But my question is what type of packaging will it come in (clear case or card board box)? I know stupid question but dd knows the new ones come in a clear case and it really matters to her (not to me) if it comes in the cool clear case (her words not mine) don't ask my why, either.

Thanks
tikilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:04 AM   #2
aprhj
Second to the right and straight on til morning

I don't know about the I-pods, but my refurb I-phone did not come in the I-phone box, just a generic AT&T cell phone box. Hate to say it but the I-pods probably are the same way. See if you can find out why she like the cool, clear case, I would think it would quickly find its way to the trash, unless a friend of hers has done something neat with it. If really the case is not a huge deal, although most things at 9 are, you could gift it in a really cool way like inside one of the double balloons from a florist being held by a stuffed animal with the ear buds rubberbanded to its ears.

1981- 1 day at MK
1988- 1 day at MK & 1 at EPCOT
1991- 1 day at MK
1998- Port Orleans then, POFQ now
2008- AKL
2009- POFQ
2012- split Value resort then AKL, I'm planning and hubby will agree by then- hubby agrees we are going!!!!!!
2013- split-1 week off site, 1 week WL CL
aprhj is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-23-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
Dashzap
DIS Veteran

I quickly got frustrated with 8 gig for my son. A few CDs worth of music, a movie, a couple of TV shows, and I had to start deleting to add stuff. Consider a larger amount of memory.
Dashzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:32 AM   #4
casndan
Mouseketeer

Make sure she really wants an iPod, I only say this because there is so much more that you can do on an iTouch, specifically download games and so forth, I understand not wanting to pay that much for a child so young but I'd make sure she really wants an iPod that can only play music.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:35 AM   #5
tikilyn
DIS Veteran

I found the info! It's actually listed on the site. It says it comes in a new white box! I was just talking to dh about the whole clear case issue and he just looks at me and shakes his head. Maybe I can find a clear case to put it in. Anyways, dh said the same thing about the size and I should just get the 16gig for her instead. All I could say was budget hunny, I'm working on a budget here.
tikilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #6
The Thomas Fam
Earning My Ears

I just bought a refurb 2g Ipod Shuffle (2nd generation) and it works great. I got the 2g to hold more music. I didn't want the nano b/c I have no desire to watch videos. It was sent in a regular Ipod apple box.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:37 PM   #7
chabs
DIS Veteran

I am also doing the Ipod debate. DD wants the Itouch but I don't want to pay that much for one. I guess I don't really "get" the difference between the two. I have her mostly talked into the Nano but I think I might go for the 16GB. It's only $50 more (refurbished) and you get twice as much memory. I guess the outside covers are new too-so the kids don't really know that they are not brand new.
chabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:42 PM   #8
3boymthr
DIS Veteran

I bought the refurb 4G iPod Nano last year for DS (13) as a bribe to get him to go to summer camp (he'd get the ipod and one song for every day he went without arguing with me - he thought he was old enough to stay home alone ). Any way it came in an apple box. We've been very happy with it. He has to earn the songs so he's no where near to filling it up even though it's been a year.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:47 PM   #9
CyndiLooWho
DIS Veteran

As long as you aren't doing things with the video, an 8 gig is great. It holds hundreds of songs (I only have about 4 gigs full on mine). I think the screen is too dran small to really enjoy a movie or tv show on it.
CyndiLooWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:50 PM   #10
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

I have a refurbed shuffle, I love the size but wish it held more. Anyway, it came in a standard white Ipod box.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:16 PM   #11
Kies99
I Can has Cheezburger???

Since you've got time, keep and eye on www.woot.com. They frequently have MP3 Players out there and sometimes they have Ipod.

Back on March 30, I got the last generation (5.5) Ipod Video for $99. It was supposedly refurbished, but you could've fooled me. It looks and works brand new. Granted, it came in a generic brown box, but it was 30gb and plays video.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, bacon in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO what a ride!"

Some people are like slinkies, they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!

Kies99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:36 PM   #12
njsweetP
DIS Veteran

Check out www.yugster.com... they have a 4GB Sandisk Sansa on sale for 29.97 & 5. shipping today only that Amazon is selling for 99. It's gotten good reviews also. I don't own it (have the touch), but thought it was a good value.

1985 First ever trip to WDW!! WDW 1992 WDW 1995 WDW 1996 WDW 1998 WDW 2001
WDW 2004 WDW 2006 WDW 2009 WDW June 2010 WDW June 2011
Just added - Disneyland June 2014Just added - WDW January 2015 -DD's runDisney!
All trips offsite.
njsweetP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:53 PM   #13
runningtodisney
The Running to Disney Podcast

Ipod vs i Touch

I used to wonder about the difference between pod and touch before I got a touch and later and iPhone. The touch is awesome. It does everything you can do on the iPhone, except the phone part. Download apps, play games, surf internet, facebook, twitter, etc etc. Potential makes it worth the added cost.
www.runtodisney.com
runningtodisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:00 PM   #14
Ava
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningtodisney View Post
I used to wonder about the difference between pod and touch before I got a touch and later and iPhone. The touch is awesome. It does everything you can do on the iPhone, except the phone part. Download apps, play games, surf internet, facebook, twitter, etc etc. Potential makes it worth the added cost.
Except you can only surf the internet, check e-mail, or use the YouTube feature on the iPod Touch if you can pick up a free wireless internet signal. I love my Touch, but I rarely use the web features on it because I can never get a signal when I'm out and about. When I'm home I might as well just use my computer.

1983 (age 3) - Buena Vista Palace
1988 - Fort Wilderness Cabin
1991 - Offsite
1997 - All-Star Music
2002 - All-Star Music
2004 - All-Star Movies
April 2006 - All-Star Music (1st Trip with DW!)
May 2011 - POP Century (DD1's 1st Trip!)
Sept 2014 - Caribbean Beach (DD2's 1st Trip!)

Ava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:37 PM   #15
Ladygator
Mouseketeer

We got refurbished ipods for our 3 kids about 2 1/2 years ago for Christmas and they have worked great! The only difference is that you can't engrave it and I guess the packaging but my kids were just thrilled to get them. They never realized they were refurbished and it comes with a great warranty. We will definitely go that route again when we get another one.
Ladygator is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: