Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2009, 10:14 AM   #1
toledo13
A dream is a wish your heart makes.

Walmart vs. Publix vs. SuperTarget?

Hi all! Which is closer to Dis- Walmart, Publix, or SuperTarget? Which one has the most 'organic' type food???
toledo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
inkkognito
I shall call him Mini-Me
I fart cigarette-scented farts!

It all depends on where you are staying on Disney property as to which one is open. There is a brand-new Super Target (with Publix across the street) right near the Animal Kingdom Lodge, a Wal-Mart over by 535 (near the Downtown Disney end of property) and Osceola Parkway, and a Publix at 192 near Osceola Parkway that is closest to Pop Century.
inkkognito is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-23-2009, 10:23 AM   #3
toledo13

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkkognito View Post
It all depends on where you are staying on Disney property as to which one is open. There is a brand-new Super Target (with Publix across the street) right near the Animal Kingdom Lodge, a Wal-Mart over by 535 (near the Downtown Disney end of property) and Osceola Parkway, and a Publix at 192 near Osceola Parkway that is closest to Pop Century.
OH-- wow! I didn't know there were so many!! We're staying at the Westgate in Kissimmee... but I'm not sure where Kissimmee is in relation to all of that! (we've never stayed offsite... at least not recently enough for me to be old enough to know what's going on!)
Old 06-23-2009, 10:27 AM   #4
donaldseeyore
Missing Mickey

Can I just ask why everything is always realted to Wal-Mart, Publix or Super Target for groceries? There is also a Winn Dixie located closer to property than any of those.....just floors me........

Countless trips to WDW @ AKL, AKV, Pop, WLV, BCV, BWV, SS, OKW, POR
Wonder 01/03/10 - 01/07/10
Wonder 09/12/10 - 09/16/10
Wonder 02/02/13 - 02/07/13
donaldseeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:37 AM   #5
toledo13

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldseeyore View Post
Can I just ask why everything is always realted to Wal-Mart, Publix or Super Target for groceries? There is also a Winn Dixie located closer to property than any of those.....just floors me........
...sorry- I've only seen those three listed, so I assumed those were the three around. I've not stayed offsite (as I mentioned before) since the early 90's, so I've not needed a grocery store...
Old 06-23-2009, 10:56 AM   #6
sympatico
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo13 View Post
OH-- wow! I didn't know there were so many!! We're staying at the Westgate in Kissimmee... but I'm not sure where Kissimmee is in relation to all of that! (we've never stayed offsite... at least not recently enough for me to be old enough to know what's going on!)
Here's a map so that you can see where things are. If it's the Westgate in the maingate west area of Kissimmee then it's #40 on the map. There's a Marketplace (Winn Dixie) just west on 192 about a mile (#117), a Publix a little further west on the right in the Orange Lake area (#20), the Super Target is across 192 from there (#134) and Super Walmart is west again and just off the exit for 27north (#39) Also another Publix before you get to Walmart.
Winn Dixie's prices seem to be higher than the others.

Map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...5,0.11055&z=13
Lindfields: twice, Lake Davenport, Venice hotel,Oak Plantation, St. Pete's Beach Hilton, Wyndham Cypress Palms, Pink Shell Fort Myers Beach, Liki Tiki Village, Grand Reserve, Rotonda Lakes near Port Charlotte,Windsor Hills: 5 times, Indian Creek (twice), Emerald Island (4 times), Reunion Resort (twice) Sunset Lakes, Crestwynd Bay, Briarwood in Naples
sympatico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:04 AM   #7
toledo13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sympatico View Post
here's a map so that you can see where things are. If it's the westgate in the maingate west area of kissimmee then it's #40 on the map. There's a marketplace (winn dixie) just west on 192 about a mile (#117), a publix a little further west on the right in the orange lake area (#20), the super target is across 192 from there (#134) and super walmart is west again and just off the exit for 27north (#39) also another publix before you get to walmart.
Winn dixie's prices seem to be higher than the others.

Map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=ut...5,0.11055&z=13
thank you!!
Old 06-23-2009, 11:05 AM   #8
BABY_EINSTEIN'S_MOM
DIS Veteran

I will put in my 2 cents on something here. On our last trip we went to Publix for our condo groceries...that was the most crowded grocery store I have ever been too, seriously, the lines for the checkout were extended back so far into the actually shopping aisles that you couldn't shop!!
This time we went to the SuperWalmart and it wasn't much more crowded than the one at home. DH also went to SuperTarget once and didn't seem to have any trouble either. HTH in some way also!
June 2009~2 week WDW-Cocoa beach extravaganza!/Windsor Hills
October 2010~Our 1st WDW MNSSHP/Windsor Hills
June 2012~ 2 week WDW(YES program)-Universal-Seaworld-Cocoa beach/Windsor Hills
June/July 2014~last minute 20th anniversary/4th July trip!!!
October 2014~MNSSHP and onsite at CBR!
BABY_EINSTEIN'S_MOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:07 AM   #9
DSNYGRL_JKS2006
Mouseketeer

I lived in Orlando, right outside Downtown Disney at Chatham(people who worked for Disney or did the program know exactly where I am talking about)... when you come out of Downtown Disney by the "Crossroads of Lake Buena Vista" where TGI Fridays, Jungle Jims,McDonalds,Waffle House is, you make a right on to SR 535 you will pass under I-4 and there is a Publix VERY CLOSE...its by the Outlets/Outback Steakhouse.. BUT right down SR 535 is a WALMART- a SUPER WALMART! I went there ALL the time when living there, good prices, lots of items of course.. etc. Thats very close to Disney as well.

AVOID "GOODINGS" at the Crossroads, back in the day it use to be the place for Disney Vacationers to go when they were staying say at places like OKW where you had a kitchen in your room, but they finally starting taking advantage to travlers who didnt know the area and prices went up like crazy!!! So yeah def. not a money saver there! Even though that is def. the closest!
DSNYGRL_JKS2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:41 AM   #10
dgaston
Proudly wears a "Believes in Fairies" t-shirt

I've seen some complain about prices at Publix, but my CA SIL found them cheaper than home, and for me it's about the same. I also like Boar's Head products which they carry in the deli. I find less selection at Walmart, and have seen produce looking tired compared to what I find at Publix.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:59 AM   #11
JB2K
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo13 View Post
Hi all! Which is closer to Dis- Walmart, Publix, or SuperTarget? Which one has the most 'organic' type food???
As both Publix and SuperTarget are considered to be "upscale" supermarkets, both should have a better-than-average selection of organic food.

Walmart pretty much has the same offerings as the store in your own neighborhood.

Winn-Dixie is a typical, regional supermarket chain -- nothing unique that sets them apart from any of the above.

Last edited by JB2K; 06-23-2009 at 12:08 PM.
JB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:03 PM   #12
inkkognito
I shall call him Mini-Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldseeyore View Post
Winn-Dixie = disgusting, especially the one on 192. I know of literally no one who shops there; we went there once just to grab milk when picking up Chinese food in the same strip mall, and that was more than enough. The Publix on 192 and I-Drive (near Celebration) is touristy and crowded but really quite decent...that's where we do our weekly grocery shopping. The Wal-Mart on 535 and Osceola Parkway is MUCH better than the one on 192 by Medieval Times (there is actually a nice new Super Target in that area too, just past 535 on 192). But Winn-Dixie? I wouldn't wish that place on my worst enemy.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:50 PM   #13
kydisneyfans
It may be because they are too embarassed to show it in public

I was definitely disappointed with that Winn Dixie too, the prices are way out of whack. We bought more at SuperTarget than anywhere mentioned. The WalMart on 192 is a wreck, the one on 535 is better. Publix falls in the middle for us.
kydisneyfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:10 PM   #14
BeyondHorizons
The only thing constant in life is change.

Not sure which would be closest in relation to where you are, but I would definitely suggest Publix over any of the others. My family found the prices to be modest, and the food selection to be great.

Look at the stars. The great kings of the past look down on us from those stars....
So whenever you feel alone, just remember that those kings will always be there to guide you. And so will I.
BeyondHorizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:43 PM   #15
inkkognito
I shall call him Mini-Me

For those with a car, there is a lovely new Whole Foods at Sand Lake and Turkey Lake roads, just off the I-4 Sand Lake Road exit.