Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Welcome to the DIS
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
AliVal
Earning My Ears

Question Need Advice - Visiting WDW 9/09

Hello all! I am looking for as much advice as you can throw at me! I have not been to Disney since 1992 and just booked a trip for 9/2-9/8 for my family. It will me my husband and I, our little girls (ages 7 and 3) and my parents in an ajoining room. We are staying at the Port Orleans French Qtr and were able to get in on the FREE dining deal and got hopper passes! We are flying AirTran down and Continental back. We are thrilled!!! I am gathering as much info as I can to get the most bang for the buck and make it as enjoyable for all. I am planning on shipping cases of water to our room as well as snacks. I am also planning on packing Disney Goodies to hide in the room at various times for our little girls to find (in lieu of having to make a lot of purchases in the park saving us some money We are planning on renting a scooter for my father to make it a little easier for him to get around with us - got a great deal - $30/day vs. $45/day through the park.
My older daughter is very into Hannah Montana, Jonas Brothers, Wizards of Waverly Place, etc. Is there anything special we should see that is geared to these Disney Chanel character tween types? Also, I am planning on trying to make our dinner reservations asap. Judging from the ages of my girls... what do you all suggest?!?! I like the sounds of the 50's diner and I think my parents would get a kick out of that. Anyone ever been to the Mickey's not so scary halloween party? Is it worth it?
Any tricks or suggestions for me? I'd appreciate any info you can give me. I am so totally excited. I think I may be more excited than my girls
Thanks!
Ali
AliVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
mooneyda
Mouseketeer

first of all since you have hopper passes leave the park in the afternoon and go back to the resort for a rest or a swim.
As for dining go to WWW.wdwinfo or all ears.net and take a look at menus to pick out stuff your family might like.
I went to the MIckey not so scary halloween party (MNSSHP)once and loved what I saw until the major down pour chased me out but I had a blast until then . I want to try it on my upcoming trip again

[/url]

mooneyda is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-22-2009, 12:45 PM   #3
PrincessTiffany
Is there anything better than Free Dining and Fastpasses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliVal View Post
Hello all! I am looking for as much advice as you can throw at me! I have not been to Disney since 1992 and just booked a trip for 9/2-9/8 for my family. It will me my husband and I, our little girls (ages 7 and 3) and my parents in an ajoining room. We are staying at the Port Orleans French Qtr and were able to get in on the FREE dining deal and got hopper passes! We are flying AirTran down and Continental back. We are thrilled!!! I am gathering as much info as I can to get the most bang for the buck and make it as enjoyable for all. I am planning on shipping cases of water to our room as well as snacks. I am also planning on packing Disney Goodies to hide in the room at various times for our little girls to find (in lieu of having to make a lot of purchases in the park saving us some money We are planning on renting a scooter for my father to make it a little easier for him to get around with us - got a great deal - $30/day vs. $45/day through the park.
My older daughter is very into Hannah Montana, Jonas Brothers, Wizards of Waverly Place, etc. Is there anything special we should see that is geared to these Disney Chanel character tween types? Also, I am planning on trying to make our dinner reservations asap. Judging from the ages of my girls... what do you all suggest?!?! I like the sounds of the 50's diner and I think my parents would get a kick out of that. Anyone ever been to the Mickey's not so scary halloween party? Is it worth it?
Any tricks or suggestions for me? I'd appreciate any info you can give me. I am so totally excited. I think I may be more excited than my girls
Thanks!
Ali
Well, be prepared for the heat! It is incredibly hot during September. My husband compared it to vacationing on the surface of the sun. The mister fans are a big help.

My mother-in-law rented a scooter when we were there in December. We normally tour in "commando" fashion and I really had to slow down because of the scooter.

We love, love, love the Halloween Party. I think the MNSSHP parade, fireworks and trick-or-treating alone are worth the price of admission.

And yes, you really, REALLY, need to make your Dining Reservations ASAP!!! Like today! Your 90 day ADRS window has been open for a couple of weeks and the really popular places can book up very quickly. I can't say we have ever had a bad meal in Disney, but I will give you a list of some of our favorites:

O'Hana (Our favorite meal in all of WDW)
Chef Mickey's
Crystal Palace
1900 Park Fare
LeCellier
Coral Reef
Whispering Canyon
50's Primtime Cafe
Sci-Fi Drive-In

The easiest way I have found to plan our trips is by using the crowd calendar at www.touringplans.com. It is the companion website to The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World. It is $8.95 to subscribe and worth every penny, in my opinion. The crowd calendar tells you which parks to visit on which days. By knowing which parks we will be in on specific day, I can then plan my ADRs by the area of WDW we will be in on that day.

Hope this info helps and hope ya'll have a magical vacation!
PrincessTiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:06 PM   #4
denegate
Mouseketeer

Remember to buy ponchos for the group. It typically rains in the afternoons for a bit because of the heat. It gives a quick cool off but then it heats right back up again. Make sure to get the water mist fans. You can always buy them in the park but better to buy them at home it will save you some money. Put your water bottles in your freezer at night if you can fit them so your water is nice and cool while in the parks. You will have a wonderful time just be prepared for the heat.
denegate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:34 PM   #5
Bumbleink
Mouseketeer

Hi

You will love POFQ it has a fabulous atmosphere. I agree, try to book your ADR's especially for the popular restaurants like Le Cellier & O'Hana's just to name a couple. We ate at Cape May at the Beach Club which was excellent as was Fort Wilderness both of these are buffets. O'Hana's was fabulous and Boma at AK resort was very good also.

hope you have a wonderful time
Bumbleink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator