Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2009, 09:02 PM   #1
OctMtnWoods
That's where I want to be.

Why are some people more blessed than others?

NOT A RELIGOUS THREAD.

I see people say they are blessed for receiving this or that. Or this happening rather than that happening. I don't use the word blessed. I'm not surrounded by people who do. Perhaps its a regional thing, not necessarily more religous. Instead, I use the word lucky.

So, what makes them more blessed / lucky than you or I to receive these wonderful things?

Don't they get them because they earned them, eligible or qualify for them, or won them?

It always comes across as they received this blessing, but I guess the rest of us weren't worthy? That's why I use the word luck. They are luckier than I or luckier than most perhaps?
OctMtnWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
Minnie_me
I don't wipe butts
Maybe I should mention that I don't wipe noses, either

I wonder this all the time.

Our neighbors seem to have things fall into their laps all the time. Trips to the Caribbean, tickets to hot events, chance meetings with celebrities and sports figures, etc.

We get nothin'. Ever. It's weird.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-21-2009, 09:19 PM   #3
Piecey
I find myself fighting with my pants
I don't have a mouse
I'm an easy-peasy kinda girl

I have a friend who tells me I am so *lucky* to be where I am in my life and been the places I have. It REALLY irritates me.

I'm not exactly sure how luck had anything to do with anything in my life. I've worked hard for absolutely everything that I have.
If I'd won something (kinda like those Macys moms at Disney right now!) then it would be different... but I didn't win my husband, my house or my son.

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are saying... but I don't go along with the mentality that I just got lucky and that is why I have the life that I have.
Piecey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:22 PM   #4
tonilea
I hope I don't regret this...
I can't miss this!
Nothing that has EVER touched anyone's behind can be washed with dish towels

To me, blessed doesn't imply deserving. Though, I do think it reflects a persons belief system. Blessed implys that you are thankful for what you have been given.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:22 PM   #5
MoniqueU
Anything with Malibu in it is great for me
Ask me about my "eyebrows"
Was blinded for several minutes after blowing on it

This bugs me. Or when someone says their prayers were answered. I remember when Elizabeth Smart was found and her parents were going on and on and on about how their prayers were answered etc. I thought to myself imagine how the other families that don't have a happy outcome feel. Did they not pray the right way or enough etc/ I found it pretty offensive actually/ I also find the saying that GOD doesn't give us more then we can handle offensive. People have said that to me just to say something. I don't know how they know what I or anyone else can "handle". I don't know what the suicide rate is or the nervous breakdown rate is in this country but surely some of those people had more then they could handle and I doubt all of them were heathens or doing something wrong. I lost a child so some of these phrases or attitudes PISS ME OFF. And no I don't like to hear sometimes god doesn't give you the answer you want. That doesn't make sense to me either. I don't think one family is more blessed then another or did the right things so benefited more and I don't believe some people did things wrong and brought stuff on themselves.
MoniqueU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:23 PM   #6
Angelhalo
Ok I was like crap I'm breaking rules and I'm gonna get points and I didn't even know I was breaking rules!!! LOL!!!

I don't believe in luck, but I do believe in blessings, and only God knows why he gives them.
Angelhalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:26 PM   #7
Nie0214
DIS Veteran

I always thought those who could stand to learn a thing or two about saving and financial responsibility were the ones that get "lucky" with handouts from family/friends. The rest of us financially responsible (aka "unlucky") people get to be the "bad guy" when we refuse to bail out someone who has been bailed out 100 times before.
Nie0214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:33 PM   #8
wdwiala
DIS Veteran

I won a contest several years ago. I simply tell people that we were blessed to have won it. I don't say blessed out of any sense of self rightousness. I use it as I would use the word grace. It is something that I have received that I did nothing to earn and did not deserve. It is what it is and I am thankful.
wdwiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:35 PM   #9
freckles and boo
I occasionally lurk on the UK board
I can't tell you all the stupid things I have seen my husband do while wearing sandals
Bird doo on my sheets isn't sexy

Attitude is everything. I don't believe in god but I do believe that dwelling on the negative just seems to produce more negative energy. Sometimes it take more work to find the positive in a situation, but when you can find that perspective you are more likely to feel fortunate (or blessed, if you will). I also agree that most people earn their "luck" by working hard and making good choices. The prayer thing is a can of worms I won't open, but if it brings people peace I won't judge them.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:36 PM   #10
JR6ooo4

The Dr. Seuss of Poo
Using kerosene lanterns for light? Kerosene, who are you kidding? When did they invent kerosene?

Location: Arlington Heights, Illinois (26 miles Northwest of Walt's Birthplace)

Mikeeee
JR6ooo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:40 PM   #11
OctMtnWoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piecey View Post
I have a friend who tells me I am so *lucky* to be where I am in my life and been the places I have. It REALLY irritates me.

I'm not exactly sure how luck had anything to do with anything in my life. I've worked hard for absolutely everything that I have.
If I'd won something (kinda like those Macys moms at Disney right now!) then it would be different... but I didn't win my husband, my house or my son.

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are saying... but I don't go along with the mentality that I just got lucky and that is why I have the life that I have.
I agree with you, that you have the things you have because you worked for them. I don't consider that luck either. Maybe my question was worded poorly, as usual.

For instance, saying you are blessed because you received a scholorship. No, I think you earned it, or were picked from those that were eligible or qualified. And I think you were lucky that you were the one to receive it when there may have been many eligible to receive it.

Saying you were blessed makes me think I don't deserve to be blessed since I didn't receive it.

Just symantics I guess. Things strike me odd sometimes.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:40 PM   #12
autumnpalm
Hates dark rooms, is a big rule follower, & loves repitition
When I was a kid, I wanted to be a host on The Shopping Channel
I have a secret feeling that butterflies are sinister creatures

I believe we are all blessed, but in different ways and at different times. Some of the poorest people I know are also the happiest people I know. Some of the sickest people are the ones with the best attitudes. Blessings can come in so many forms. Those are my thoughts, anyway.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:43 PM   #13
moon
DIS Veteran

OK, everytime I've seen a thread like this the comments of "I wasn't 'blessed',
or 'lucky' or 'given anything' , I just worked hard to get where I am" start to pop up.

For one thing those people were "blessed" "lucky" or "given" good health and enough intelligence to function in this world and get ahead. That's the biggest gift one can be given.

Then many more have other gifts, such as having been born in America or another developed country, quite a few others had parents who cared and could give them a good start.

Don't fool yourselves. Everyine who succedes was "blessed" or any other word you use for it.

As for the answer to your question, OP, truly, I have no idea
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:44 PM   #14
OctMtnWoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoniqueU View Post
This bugs me. Or when someone says their prayers were answered. I remember when Elizabeth Smart was found and her parents were going on and on and on about how their prayers were answered etc. I thought to myself imagine how the other families that don't have a happy outcome feel. Did they not pray the right way or enough etc/ I found it pretty offensive actually/ I also find the saying that GOD doesn't give us more then we can handle offensive. People have said that to me just to say something. I don't know how they know what I or anyone else can "handle". I don't know what the suicide rate is or the nervous breakdown rate is in this country but surely some of those people had more then they could handle and I doubt all of them were heathens or doing something wrong. I lost a child so some of these phrases or attitudes PISS ME OFF. And no I don't like to hear sometimes god doesn't give you the answer you want. That doesn't make sense to me either. I don't think one family is more blessed then another or did the right things so benefited more and I don't believe some people did things wrong and brought stuff on themselves.
OK, that's sort of along the lines of what I was trying to say, but without the prayer stuff. Like I said. Stuff just strikes me odd sometimes and I was just posting out loud. Probably shouldn't do that. lol
Old 06-21-2009, 09:52 PM   #15
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I agree that people who work hard tend to get more things but there are always those who seem to constantly be in the right place at the right time. There are also those who seem to be snake-bit as they say around here.

I know that I am unlucky when it comes to jobs. I keep finding jobs that look good on the outside but then they are horrible when I actually start working there and they get steadily worse. I'm not picky or making this up; friends and family keep on asking me how I keep finding these losers. Just one of those things I guess.

Also, there are those people who keep on having illnesses for no apparent reason. I feel really bad for them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: