Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
DawnCt1
I had to wonder what "holiday" he thought we would be celebrating with a tree?Answer: Arbor Day
Personally I have always wanted to be a super hero

UPDATE! Pics on Page 2 The Most Incredible, Wonderful, Fabulous, Unbelievable..

Needed and Deserved thing is going to happen to one of DS#4's best friends and his family. I am almost 99% sure that it is going to happen and I am so excited about it that I have forced myself not to think about it for the last month. I will tell you tomorrow if it happens, just say a prayer that it will!

http://www.abc40tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=10568750
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition selects local family for new home
Posted: June 21, 2009 10:06 AM

By Ryan Trowbridge

Extreme Makeover: Home Edition has arrived in the Connecticut River Valley and announced the family who will receive a new home from the hit ABC show.

This morning, host Ty Pennington and his team of designers woke the family of William and Catherine Hill of Suffield, Conn.

Over the next seven days, this family of thirteen will have their lives changed when their current home is demolished and replaced with a complete new home. All of this will occur while the family is away on a vacation.

On June 28, they will return to Connecticut and recite that famous phrase, "Move That Bus!"

ABC40 and FOX 6 Springfield will have you covered along the way. Learn more on the project and this family starting Sunday at 6:00 p.m.

Spectators will be welcome to come view the construction starting Tuesday, June 23.

Last edited by DawnCt1; 06-22-2009 at 06:30 AM.
DawnCt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
*Robin*
bibbity bobbity boo!

How fun, crossing my fingers!!
*Robin* is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-21-2009, 11:15 AM   #3
DawnCt1
I had to wonder what "holiday" he thought we would be celebrating with a tree?Answer: Arbor Day

A SHAMELESS BUMP TO THE TOP!
Old 06-21-2009, 11:32 AM   #4
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

I really hope this works out for them. I admit, I am a little disillusioned with Extreme Home Makeover. So many of the people who have received the new homes have lost them after the fact. They tend to do too much for these families and make it impossible for the people to maintain these huge homes.

I hope your son's friends family is the exception and that it all works out for them.
Feralpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:39 AM   #5
Jillpie
Can you package some Main St. music and send it to me?

Oh that is just fantastic and what a great thing for your son to watch!! Will he be able to participate in the process? Do you live nearby and will you be taking pics for us, please? I love this show!
Old 06-21-2009, 11:39 AM   #6
DawnCt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feralpeg View Post
I really hope this works out for them. I admit, I am a little disillusioned with Extreme Home Makeover. So many of the people who have received the new homes have lost them after the fact. They tend to do too much for these families and make it impossible for the people to maintain these huge homes.

I hope your son's friends family is the exception and that it all works out for them.

The Dad has done three tours in Iraq. They are active in their church, in sports, etc and they have been maintaining their family of 13 all on their own. This is a blended family that welcomes everyone. I think they will be fine!
Old 06-21-2009, 11:47 AM   #7
kirbydog48
DIS Veteran

Wow, that's fantastic! We had a family a few towns over from me. It's really quite an experience. They work round-the-clock, lots of restaurants donate food for the work crews. It must get a little crazy for the neighbors. Tons of people visit and watch the work being done. Good for them!
kirbydog48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:43 PM   #8
DawnCt1

We got there early this morning. The road was closed to residents only. I told the Extreme Makeover Security Guard that we lived on the other side of town. One of the neighbors walked up to my car and said, "park in my driveway, anywhere you want". Really nice neighbors. We all had to be very quiet. The family doesn't know "for sure" until they get the knock at the door. There is a family in a neighboring town that got the "sorry, you didn't win" visit this morning. Apparently the police knew that it was definitely a "go" for a while. I did hear however, that they pull permits in all of the towns where the finalists live. I happen to know where the structure of the house was being erected, so DH and I drove by the roof and other parts last night. It is very exciting. There will be a spectator area.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:38 PM   #9
wdwiala
DIS Veteran

wow! all of that behind the scenes info is interesting. It's a shame that it's not really a big "suprise" but a maybe that turns into a yes. Still, I would take the house!
wdwiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:42 PM   #10
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

I guess they'd have to get some kind of a heads up or else the whole family would come out in their jammies and morning breath.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:53 PM   #11
hentob
Sanita clogs are fabulous
It was the best surprise
He knows to turn his ringer off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feralpeg View Post

I am with Feralpeg.

They choose people that canít afford to do even small upkeep projects and then build them mansions A few months later, these people canít afford to pay the high taxes that a huge home brings.

Dawn, I wish your friends luck, but I wish EHM would build practical homes for people that canít afford to live in inhabitable dwellings to begin with
hentob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:58 PM   #12
hentob
Sanita clogs are fabulous
It was the best surprise
He knows to turn his ringer off

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnCt1 View Post
I think they will be fine!
Can I ask what is wrong that they are not fine at the moment? What is wrong with the new house that they can't fix on their own?

What will change once this house is given to them? Where will new money come from to maintain the home?

Not being snarky, Dawn Just nosey

ETA--Just looked up their story. I wish them luck!!

Last edited by hentob; 06-21-2009 at 07:08 PM.
hentob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:01 PM   #13
LuvCuteBoys
Doing good is not a competition

That is AWESOME!!!!

The family that we know who had this done two seasons ago is doing fine.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:19 PM   #14
DawnCt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hentob View Post
Can I ask what is wrong that they are not fine at the moment? What is wrong with the new house that they can't fix on their own?

What will change once this house is given to them? Where will new money come from to maintain the home?

Not being snarky, Dawn Just nosey

ETA--Just looked up their story. I wish them luck!!
Both parents work. The father has done 3 tours in Iraq and is a social worker. They have a lot of kids comprised of their own children, nieces and nephews that they took in a gave and home to. It is a large blended family of 13 living in a 3 bedroom ranch. What will change is that will have a home big enough to house their big family. Both parents grew up in the projects in Hartford and they so far have been able to provide something different for their children.

Last edited by DawnCt1; 06-21-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:25 PM   #15
DawnCt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hentob View Post
I am with Feralpeg.

They choose people that canít afford to do even small upkeep projects and then build them mansions A few months later, these people canít afford to pay the high taxes that a huge home brings.

Dawn, I wish your friends luck, but I wish EHM would build practical homes for people that canít afford to live in inhabitable dwellings to begin with
I don't know how you build a "practical" house for 13 people.
The Mather St. area where they live is a nice, older neighborhood. It was exciting to be there this morning.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: