Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2009, 10:25 AM   #76
goofygal531
Always planning...

You have got to tell me where you found Raspberry Lemonade in DHS!! I really thought this was only available at the Enchanted Grove in Fantasy Land!!!! Is it anywhere else??? Did you also find it in Epcot and AK??? This was my favorite drink!! I'm so jealous that you found it in other places!!!

I agree with you about 1900 Park Fare! It was fun to meet the Mad Hatter, but I thought the food was very limited. I also didn't like the "flow" of the buffet, just an odd line. Our Mad Hatter asked my son where we were from then starting to sing "New York, New York" He yelled "Start spreading.....the cream cheese!" He was so funny!

Looking forward to hearing about the Pirate Cruise! I have another two years to go before my boys can do it together

One more thing, Sharpie is the sponser for the KidCot Stations in Epcot. They have the minis. You could have "borrowed" a pen from one of the stations Have your boys made the Masks in Epcot? My DS5 loves to do that.

Our Disney Vacations
8/14 Yacht Club's Regatta Club • 8/13 Pop Century TWO WEEKS! • 2/13 Pop Century • 9/12 Port Orleans French Quarter 8/12 Pop Century
10/11 Port Orleans French Quarter5/10 Wilderness Lodge (Mom&Boys)6/09 Grand Floridian-Royal Palm Club
11/08 Boardwalk's Innkeeper's Club6/08 Grand Floridian
11/07 Caribbean Beach 2/06 Beach Club1/05 Polynesian
5/02 Dixie Landings 5/01 Contemporary/Wonder/Hard Rock Hotel 5/00 Swan
Old 07-09-2009, 05:41 PM   #77
MJAJmom
DIS Veteran

Ahoy Mateys!! It's time for a pirate cruise!!

AJ was finally 4 years old, old enough to go on the pirate cruise now! I booked the cruise when I book all the dining ADRs, total cost with tax for 2 kids was $63.90 for a 2 hour cruise. They got the kids ready by putting on a black life vest, a black pirate bandana on their head, and a name tag. They all looked adorable!

They marched them down the ramp and into the boat. The captain was wearing the purple shirt. There was 20 kids cruising today from 9:30 to 11:30am.

The boat was pretty simple, it had a rows of benches on each side for the kids to sit on. Once everyone was in the boat, they sailed away!!! A Photopass photographer went with them to take pictures. I didn’t know that, so it was a wonderful surprise knowing I’d get some cute pictures of them on their treasure hunts.

The kids were gone!!! I now had 2 hours to myself. I’d been thinking about what to do with myself all week. We’d already eaten breakfast so I didn’t need any food. Didn’t feel like trying out the spa. So the only reasonable thing to do –-- was to shop!!! Alone, with nobody to watch over, nobody pestering you. How wonderful!!

I headed straight to the monorail to MK and planned to shop on main street and to take some pictures. On main street at the railroad station, I went on the second floor and took a picture of the castle. The Dreams show was playing at the castle so it looked a little crowded down there.

I stopped at 2 photopass photographers and did the Tinkerbell and the balloons add-ins.

I was trying to think ahead, so I went to Big Thunder Mtn to get fastpasses for us to use later. But I couldn’t get one for the boys since they did not use their tickets to enter the park – Duh!!! But a CM was standing right there with me, and he gave me the 2 FP anyways – that was very nice!!

I walked through AdventureLand so I could get my favorite drink – a raspberry lemonade slush!! How yummy on such a hot day!! I browsed through all the stores on main street, taking my time. Didn’t find anything I desperately had to buy, but I did buy 2 star wars mickey mouse figures for the boys as a surprise when I picked them up. Then it was time to head back to GF to get the boys. I went to take the monorail, but they said they it was delayed, they were changing one of the trains to an express train for TTC. So 8 minutes go by, and we’re still sitting in the train. I did not want to miss the boys, so I jumped off and ran down to take the ferry to GF. This ended up being much quicker!!

From the end of the boat ramp at Grand Floridian marina, I took a few pictures of MK.

Right on time, the pirate ship comes sailing back to the dock.

They gave me a claim tag to get our Photopass pictures added to our card. It takes about 20 minutes after the cruise ends before they are ready, so we added them to our card after our lunch.

continued on next post

June 2014 - DL planning in the works!
June 2011 - POFQ, Star Wars Weekends, Universal
April 2010 - CBR pirate room, 3rd time for just mom & 2 boys, Universal
June09 - CBR, Star Wars Weekends, just mom & 2 boys, more character meals - Trip Report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2208908
Oct08 - GF, MNSSHP, just mom & 2 boys, lots of character meals - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2013585
Apr08 - GF - 1st trip for family
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-09-2009, 05:44 PM   #78
MJAJmom
DIS Veteran

Here are all the photopass pictures from their adventure. They made 4 stops to search for treasure and to eat lunch. One stop was at the Polynesian hotel.

They provided lunch. It was a peanut butter crustables sandwich, goldfish, rice krispie treat and a juice box. Plenty of water was provided, too.

When the boat pulled up, you couldn’t see any of the kids looking out, it was very strange! They told the kids to play a trick on the parents, told them to lay down in the boat and then when they got at the dock, to jump up and shout “Arrrrrhhhh!!!!”. Very funny, MJ thought it was hilarious that they tricked us.

As they got off the ship, they were given a goody bag. It contained a pirate eye patch, a pirate parrot toy, a black rubbery pirate ball, a treasure chest with coins/beads, 2 colorful rings and a little telescope (all from Oriental Trading Company). They boys loved their bags and played with them all day.

The boys said they liked the pirate cruise, that it was fun. I’m glad we did it. If we do it again, I’d like to do the pirate cruise at another hotel, just for something different. I sure liked having 2 hours to myself!!!

With that done, we got back on the monorail to MK. MJ wanted to try to get selected to fight Jack Sparrow in the Pirate Tutorial.

June09 - CBR, Star Wars Weekends, just mom & 2 boys, more character meals - Trip Report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2208908
Oct08 - GF, MNSSHP, just mom & 2 boys, lots of character meals - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2013585
Old 07-09-2009, 10:44 PM   #79
MJAJmom
DIS Veteran

Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pirate Tutorial For Me!!!

Yesterday at MK, MJ watched the Jack Sparrow Pirate Tutorial. He did NOT want to get picked to sword fight. Today was a new day, and today he said he DEFINITELY wants to try to get picked. Maybe the pirate cruise got him in the right spirits. We watched the Dreams show at the castle for a few minutes before heading to the Pirate Tutorial at 12:25. I wanted to make sure we got there early to get a good spot. It’s not at all like Jedi Training Academy with kids/parents going wild to get their kid picked. This is much more tame and a ton less crowded (not really sure why).

I staked out the very first spot, right in front center. They only pick 4 kids, and 2 of them are usually girls. They also pick a bigger boy to fight Jack Sparrow in the end. Finally it was time for the show to start. Mack came out to lay down the rope on the ground as the border for crowd control. Then he started the pirate music – Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pirate’s Life For Me!!!

How can you not love this guy???

Now it’s time for Jack Sparrow to select his trainees. MJ has his hand up!! He selects a girl first, then picks MJ (Yeah!!!!), then selects another girl. Then he walks around, eyeing the crowd, trying to find the last boy. He ended up asking a boy who didn’t even have his hand raised, he was an older boy. And now a very lucky boy because he’ll now be the one to fight Jack Sparrow!!! I was secretly hoping it would be MJ (yes, I know I’m being greedy!!!)

Sparrow tells them how they are going to fight Mack. He explains where to hit the sword and then how to distract your opponent and get away if you can’t win. They’ll do 3 sword strikes, and then you shout “Look, it’s the governor’s daughter” and point off in the distance. The tall gal went first, then it was MJs turn. He was very excited to be sword fighting!!

Then it’s “Look, it’s the governor’s daughter”. Mack turns around to look and MJ runs away!! Bravo!!!

Next, they take their pirate oath and pledge to become a pirate and follow the pirate code. Then they invite several other kids to join them and pledge to become pirates. AJ got picked here.

Mack hands out scrolls for everyone. It’s a pirate certificate!!

They finish up the show and my boys are both thrilled!! Lots of pirate stuff today. We’re running a few minutes late for our 12:50 ADR at Plaza. I was pretty hungry by now! Thankfully, we got in right away for lunch. I had the tuna sandwich and thought it was really yummy. I got the brownie sundae for dessert. The boys had a peanut butter sandwich and chicken strips. The PBJs are excellent here for kids!! They cut them in the shape of Mickey ears. The Plaza is a pretty good place to grab a sandwich for lunch!!

Since we had a busy morning already, the boys wanted to go home to play and swim. On our way out, I spotted Pinocchio near the camera/photo shot at Town Square. He is very tiny!!!

Back at CBR, the boys enjoy playing with their toys in the hotel room and we swim for a little bit. It’s been wonderful coming home to the hotel and having the room already cleaned for us. I only had to call housekeeping that first time to request early cleaning, and it’s been done well every day. I’d heard rumors about poor housekeeping, but that was just the opposite for us. So far, I’ve really liked our stay at CBR.

Tonight is our traditional last supper at Chef Mickeys!!

Old 07-10-2009, 07:54 AM   #80
dismagiclover
Mrs. Darling: Mom to Wendy, John & Michael

Oooh I love the treasure cruise report and pictures. That is so cool that they took a photopass guy with thme so you have pictures of what they actually did. Where else do they offer the treasure cruise? And I love the pictures of the Pirate Tutorial. We've never seen that and I didn't even realize they pick kids to sword fight. Sounds like a great day for your boys

I may end up taking a trip with just me and my boys next summer and your report has given me tons of awesome ideas!

I'm sad to see your report coming to an end.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:29 AM   #81
meeko_33785
Surrounded by characters

1900 Park Fare is so fun for breakfast. I was there a few years back and had all the same characters you did except instead of Tigger, Rabbit was there which was cool because I'd never seen him anywhere before or since. The Mad Hatter's a real hoot. The last picture of them giving him a hig is priceless!

Great shots of the Pirate Tutorial. How fun that the kids got to be a part of it!
Old 07-10-2009, 03:41 PM   #82
MJAJmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismagiclover View Post
You are so right about the Mad Hatter picture. It is priceless That looks like a fun breakfast. I agree with you about Cape May and Tusker House breakfasts. Those are my favorites
Yup, Cape May and Tusker have such a great selection of breakfast food. More yogarts, pastries, fruits and cereals. Yummy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofygal531 View Post
You have got to tell me where you found Raspberry Lemonade in DHS!! I really thought this was only available at the Enchanted Grove in Fantasy Land!!!! Is it anywhere else??? Did you also find it in Epcot and AK??? This was my favorite drink!! I'm so jealous that you found it in other places!!!

One more thing, Sharpie is the sponser for the KidCot Stations in Epcot. They have the minis. You could have "borrowed" a pen from one of the stations Have your boys made the Masks in Epcot? My DS5 loves to do that.
I'm just hooked on those raspberry lemonades!!! At DHS, I found them at Min & Bill's Dockside, right by the lake. Ohh, so good!

I cannot believe that Sharpie is an Epcot sponsor!! Our retractable sharpie pen stopped working the day after our Epcot day (maybe it was voodoo!!). I searched our hotel and MK shops, but all they have is ballpoint pens. I will know next time to bring a spare, then use Epcot as my backup plan! Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismagiclover View Post
Oooh I love the treasure cruise report and pictures. That is so cool that they took a photopass guy with thme so you have pictures of what they actually did. Where else do they offer the treasure cruise? And I love the pictures of the Pirate Tutorial. We've never seen that and I didn't even realize they pick kids to sword fight. Sounds like a great day for your boys

I may end up taking a trip with just me and my boys next summer and your report has given me tons of awesome ideas!

I'm sad to see your report coming to an end.
I was so excited that a photopass photographer was going on the cruise. I really wanted to see what they did out there!! There is also a pirate cruise at the Yacht Club and Carribbean Beach Resort, so that's what we'll try next time.

I sure hope you take your boys by yourself!! It's such a different trip, such great memories!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeko_33785 View Post
1900 Park Fare is so fun for breakfast. I was there a few years back and had all the same characters you did except instead of Tigger, Rabbit was there which was cool because I'd never seen him anywhere before or since. The Mad Hatter's a real hoot. The last picture of them giving him a hig is priceless!

Great shots of the Pirate Tutorial. How fun that the kids got to be a part of it!

Rabbit would be so cool to see, he's so rare now!! I was just thinking how Pooh and Tigger just don't belong with the Alice characters. They could swap them with Queen of Hearts, Tweedle Dum/Dee, White Rabbit, Mr Walrus. That would be different!

Old 07-11-2009, 10:34 PM   #83
MJAJmom
DIS Veteran

Dinner at Chef Mickeys and our final night at Magic Kingdom

We’ve done dinner at Chef Mickey’s for our last 2 trip, so I guess now that will be our traditional “Last Supper”. The food is pretty good, the desserts are very yummy. The boys love the ice cream with all the toppings. The characters are fabulous, how can you beat the Fab 5??? I packed the dream ears that I won last Fall, but have not pulled them out to wear this week. So I had the boys wear them for Chef Mickey’s dinner.

We had our picture taken at check-in, not a great one, but always a cute background.

The characters were all around us and coming quickly. We got Pluto, Donald and Minnie before we even made it to the buffet line.

The characters all came around twice, so we got pictures with our Mickey hats on and without the hats. The place was fairly full, but the characters did a great job circulating around. We never felt rushed.

You just can’t beat Chef Mickey’s as one of the better character meals!! After dinner, we planned to go over to MK for some rides. The line at Contemporary to get onto the monorail was VERY long. So instead, I took the walkway over to MK. It was a nice walk, probably about 7 minutes. MJ was not thrilled because he wanted to take the monorail. We headed first to Big Thunder Mountain, our favorite thrill ride now. We got stuck on it at the top of the second big climb. We were stuck for about 2 minutes. Not sure what happened. Then we rode POTC twice. Again, going in the left side where nobody was, we had no waiting.

We rode Jungle Cruise now that it was a little bit darker. That was lots of fun. AJ loved it because it was dark and scary inside the Asian temple ruins where the tigers and snakes are. After getting my LAST raspberry lemonade slush for the trip, we went to ride Buzz Lightyear. We took our usual pictures inside the jail bars with Zurg.

I got the boys a smoothie at the tomorrowland ice cream shop, and MJ spotted the Star Wars pictures were you can have your faces inserted. We did this last year and MJ loved it, insisting we had to do it again this year. We tried to take a picture while at DHS earlier in the week, but AJ was not in the picture taking mood (what a surpise!!).

MJ picked out a jedi one with 2 faces on it – Anakin Sykwalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi. I’ll have to admit, this picture is a little scary!!! These don’t even look like my little boys!!! MJ loved it!!

On our way out of tomorrowland, we had our last photopass picture taken in front of the castle!!

It was time to go home to bed. Sad that this was our final day at the parks!! Tomorrow we have a half day, needing to leave for the airport at 1:30pm.

Next up – a medical problem that resulted in a trip to the Orlando doctor in the morning!!

Old 07-12-2009, 07:15 AM   #84
dismagiclover

Chef Mickey's is such a fun place! Great last night tradition.
And then a MK evening. Not much better than that
Love the SW picture. They really do a great job making it look as realistic as possible.
I'm sad it's your last full day and oh no about the Dr's visit. That doesn't sound good.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:33 PM   #85
meeko_33785
Surrounded by characters

Sad to hear that the trip is almost over, and definitely not liking the sound of the doctor's visit. Hope that everything is alright.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:39 PM   #86
goofy's_gurl
DIS Veteran

i read your whole trip report this afternoon. i loved it. your boys are cute. sounds like you had a great vacation. nice relaxing no meltdowns. uh oh the dr. visit dont sound good.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:47 AM   #87
dd50
DIS Veteran

Loved your TR but a Drs. visit doesn't sound good.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:44 PM   #88
MJAJmom
DIS Veteran

Sunday morning at the Doctor's office!!!

Well, I had big plans for our last half day…. I wanted to do the Winter/SummerLand miniature golf course and check out the other resort like All Star Movies. But instead, we spent majority of the morning in the Orlando Care Now medical center.

Last night while getting MJ changed for bed, I noticed a large bulge in his lower groin area. Oh great!! I know what that is and I can’t believe my son has a HERNIA at DisneyWorld!!! Good grief. So last night, I’m trying to figure out what to do. Do we need to go to the hospital right now?? Do we try to find a doctor at this late hour? Do I just wait until we fly home tomorrow afternoon to get it checked?? Since he wasn’t in any pain and had no pains all day peeing or pooping, maybe we could wait out the night.

I called the front desk to ask where the closest doctor office was. It’s called Care Now and it’s just further past Downtown Disney. They open at 8am on Sunday. So I get our suitcases packed up so we’ll be prepared for anything in the morning.

I had an 8am ADR at Boma for breakfast, so I figured we might as well eat a quick breakfast first in case we have a long morning. I probably wasn’t in best frame of mind for breakfast, but I wasn’t that impressed with the Boma breakfast buffet. I’d heard raving comments about it – I just thought it was an average buffet. Glad we went there once, but no need to go back again.

At the doctor office, there is only 1 woman doctor working there, and she is horribly SLOW. We waited in the waiting room for 1 hour, then back at the exam room we waited another 25 minutes to see her, then another 20 minutes just to get her paperwork to check out. Made me want to hit somebody!!! In the end, MJ has an inguinal hernia, something that is very common in boys. Needs to be fixed but certainly no rush to fix it today. OK, that was good news, stand down from RED alert status!!

So, we’ve blown the whole morning. I had an 12:00 ADR at the Yacht Club at Captain’s Grill, so we drive other there. We’re 30 minutes early, so I let the boys play around in the lobby with all their pirate toys from the cruise yesterday. Our lunch at Captain’s Grill was amazingly delicious!!! I had crab cake appetizers, lobster salad roll, and the chocolate cake for dessert. All was so yummy. Service was great too!! So that was a nice end to our dining experience on the Deluxe Dining Plan.

I only took 1 picture today, at the entrance to Captain’s Grill

After lunch, it was off to Hertz to return the rental car and back onto JetBlue to fly home. So sad that the trip was over!!!

To update you currently about MJ, we saw a pediatric surgeon at home and then he had surgery last Tuesday July 7th. The incision was maybe ¾ inch wide and he was walking around and playing later that afternoon. By the next morning, he had no pain and was quite normal. Just really needed to keep the bandage dry (no bathing or swimming). Today we had our follow-up checkup with the surgeon, and he’s healing just fine. Got the green light to go swimming now!! No problems, all is well!! So glad to have that little incident taken care of!!

Next up – lots of reflections about this trip. Thoughts about June weather, crowds, the dining plan, the resort, Star Wars weekends. And of course, when do we plan to come back??

Old 07-13-2009, 08:41 PM   #89
dismagiclover

Well that is certainly not the last day we all dream of, but I'm glad MJ is OK and it sounds like recovery from the surgery has been good as well. At least you had a great lunch at Captain's Grille. Looking forward to your last thoughts.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:51 PM   #90
dspads
Mouseketeer

Just catching up.

The cruise and pirate tutorial look great! I know my older DS would love to get picked for that. How do you find out about them? Is there one every day? I can just picture staking them out several times just so DS's can participate...

Sorry about your last day incident. Glad all turned out OK for MJ. Probably best it happened at the end so you had less time to worry. And thank god you had your rental car!

Looking forward to your summary!

08/14 US/IOA (off-site)
12/12 OKW
10/09 SSR & 1st time @ MNSSHP!
12/07 OKW
12/04 - 1st trip with kids! OKW
1999 - 1st trip with DH -Boardwalk/Sports
Bunch of times prior, OKW, Sports, off-site

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: