Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2009, 12:26 PM   #31
dismagiclover
Mrs. Darling: Mom to Wendy, John & Michael

Awesome updates! I'm very impressed with how much your boys interacted with the princesses. My boys won't even go near them anymore. We didn't do a princess meal this past trip, but I imagine if we did they would have crawled under the table We love the Epcot character meet too We visited 3 times this past trip. We also seemed to go to lots of the same restaraunts. We ate at Teppan Edo and Garden Grill. We liked them both too. Anything you can do to entertain little boys is helpful. If they get bored trouble usually ensues
Can't wait for more
Old 06-25-2009, 10:51 PM   #32
MJAJmom
DIS Veteran

Animal Kingdom day starts with Tusker House

I love starting the day with a character breakfast, and Tusker House is one of my favorites. The food is usually good and the characters are great in their safari clothes. Plus, getting in before the park opens, you are first to ride Safari – can’t beat that!!

We were seated in a side room and went through the buffet before the characters started coming out since they just opened up. First came Donald, then Mickey, Daisy and Goofy. Not sure who was inside Goofy today, but they were a riot!! He was banging on tables, jumping around, lying on the floor. He came into our room with his ears covering his eyes, holding out his arms like he was blind, banging into the walls. It was all very funny!!! Breakfast was great as usual.

We waited at the ropes by Safari until it was opening time. We walked right onto the Safari ride, the first jeep out!! It’s a beautiful ride, but this morning didn’t have many animals out. We saw the rhinos, giraffes and elephants, but the lions weren’t around, the hippos were all under water, no zebras, and the antelopes were hiding deep in the trees. Just must have been a sleepy morning for the animals.

After the ride, we walked down to Camp Mickey Minnie. We saw Pocahontas before heading in to see Festival of the Lion King. MJ wanted to see that show again. He loves Timon. We saw Goofy in the character trails and then moved out to DinoLand.

In DinoLand, we rode Triceratops Spin, played in the Boneyard for a while, and then found Goofy and Pluto.

We strolled into Asia and wandered into Maharajah Trek to see the tigers. There were 2 tigers pacing right by the observation window so we had a pretty good look at them. Those giant bats are just creepy!! Finally it was time for lunch at Yak & Yeti. Another new place for us. I tried the pork pot stickers, the steak & shrimp which was very tasty. For dessert, I tried the sorbet which was 3 flavors – raspberry, mango and lemon. A nice alternative to chocolate and ice creams. Overall, I thought the food was very good, so we’ll try it again next trip.

Continued on next post

June 2014 - DL planning in the works!
June 2011 - POFQ, Star Wars Weekends, Universal
April 2010 - CBR pirate room, 3rd time for just mom & 2 boys, Universal
June09 - CBR, Star Wars Weekends, just mom & 2 boys, more character meals - Trip Report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2208908
Oct08 - GF, MNSSHP, just mom & 2 boys, lots of character meals - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2013585
Apr08 - GF - 1st trip for family

Last edited by MJAJmom; 06-27-2009 at 02:13 PM. Reason: added photopass pics
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-25-2009, 10:53 PM   #33
MJAJmom
DIS Veteran

Upgrading to AP, then DTD to build your own lightsaber!!

After lunch, we got some pictures in front of the Tree of Life. Again, AJ was cranky so he didn't join in, but the photographer snapped a great picture of him poking his head out of the stroller. This photographer could do the Baby Simba add-ins, so we did get AJ out of the stroller for that.

The boys wanted to go back to CBR and swim. I planned on upgrading our tickets to an Annual Pass, so I stopped by Guest Relations on the way out. I’d heard lots of stories about people having problems upgrading their 4/3 tickets. I also had a 10% savings card that a fellow DISer mailed me. With pixie dust on my side, I got a very knowledgeable CM named Claudia from Brazil. She bridged my ticket to the current price, applied the 10% savings card and the final price to upgrade 1 adult and 2 child 9day NE tickets was a whopping $27!!! That’s incredible!!! No problems at all. I got lucky!!!

We swam for a while and then took a nap. Tonight was our evening at Downtown Disney. Something the boys have been waiting for – tonight we get to build a lightsaber and pick out one toy at World of Disney. But first, we have to eat. I had an ADR at Capn Jack’s, but cancelled it because the boys were napping longer. So instead, we ate at Wolfgang Puck Express. And I’m so glad we did – it was excellent. You order at the counter, find a table, then they bring the food out to you. Like a mini table service. I got rosemary chicken with garlic mashed potatoes. Very delicious!!! The boys had pizza, and dough/crust was awesome. We got brownies and chocolate chip cookies for dessert, which were homemade delicious, I really did like this place!!!!

Outside Once Upon a Toy, they had some statues of Buzz and Mr Potato Head that were cute. We found the lightsaber display, the boys were very excited. The directions were printed on the display, but it wasn’t very easy. I had to get a CM to help out. The boys made blue lightsabers. I heard that you got a star wars pin with it, but the CM told me they stopped doing that – bummer!! Now, the boys got what we came to Disney for – yet another lightsaber!!!

Next shopping place was World of Disney. MJ found a plush yellow Dug from the UP movie and AJ got a Buzz Lightyear laser sounding gun. I bought a princess baseball hat, something more stylish to wear this week in the hot sun. Our last stop was Goofy’s Candy store. I picked up several yummy snacks to munch on later – some chocolate covered pretzel sticks, an oreo brownie, some cookies the boys picked out, and few bags of pretzels. Plenty to snack!!

Our day at Animal Kingdom and DTD was another great day. The boys got their lightsabers and toys, so everyone went to bed with a smile!!!

June09 - CBR, Star Wars Weekends, just mom & 2 boys, more character meals - Trip Report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2208908
Oct08 - GF, MNSSHP, just mom & 2 boys, lots of character meals - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2013585

Last edited by MJAJmom; 06-27-2009 at 02:35 PM. Reason: added photopass pics
Old 06-25-2009, 11:20 PM   #34
MJAJmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dismagiclover View Post
I just found this TR and wanted to hop in. We were at SWW the last weekend (6/12-13) and I love hearing about others experiences there. It sounds like it was way less crowded the weekend before. You picked a good time to go. I also love the Pirates rooms If I ever do a trip with just my boys (they are 7 & 4) we are definitely staying there! I don't think my DD9 would like that idea though Can't wait for more!
We had lots of fun at SWW, I'm so glad we tried it this year!! I thought weekend 3 wasn't that crowded. We went again on Friday on weekend #4 and thought it was a bit more crowded. I guess I was expecting elbow to elbow people, but it wasn't like that at all. Your 4 and 7yo boys would love playing in the CBR pirate room and pirate ship pool. Are they jack sparrow fans like my 2 boys are??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspads View Post
More great pics! And I love the clone trooper mickey shirts! The pool looks awesome! My boys would love it. We are staying at Saratoga Springs -my parents are DVCers and I can't pass up a free room!

You trip seems so fun and relaxing. I guess having less adults in some ways makes it easier. We usually have various combinations of extended family with us -it is nice for the extra hands and fun for the kids, but gets pretty hectic at times.
You can't pass up a free room!!! How nice!! It's a very different trip for us when DH comes, we have more flexibility with the boys. I loved the special time with them. If it's go to Disney without DH or don't go at all, that's an easy question to answer for me!!

Quote:
Awesome updates! I'm very impressed with how much your boys interacted with the princesses. My boys won't even go near them anymore. We didn't do a princess meal this past trip, but I imagine if we did they would have crawled under the table We love the Epcot character meet too We visited 3 times this past trip. We also seemed to go to lots of the same restaraunts. We ate at Teppan Edo and Garden Grill. We liked them both too. Anything you can do to entertain little boys is helpful. If they get bored trouble usually ensues
For our last Oct trip, I avoided all the princess meals because I thought my boys wouldn't like them. But since we had 9 days this trip, I figured we might as well try them. Their reaction surprised me, I'm glad my boys didn't throw a fit or whine/moan. You are so right about keeping boys entertained, they do get into trouble very quickly!!! Thanks for reading along.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:32 AM   #35
dd50
DIS Veteran

great trip report. Sounds like the three of you had a great time.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:52 AM   #36
dspads
Mouseketeer

How do you manage with the loose autograph pages in the park? Were they in a book? Are they printed on cardstock? My older DS was very into collecting autographs last time around so this may be a good idea to make it extra special.

Again, so many great pics. Your boys really enjoy the characters. On our last trip my little one stayed away from them 80% of the time (he was 3.5).

08/14 US/IOA (off-site)
12/12 OKW
10/09 SSR & 1st time @ MNSSHP!
12/07 OKW
12/04 - 1st trip with kids! OKW
1999 - 1st trip with DH -Boardwalk/Sports
Bunch of times prior, OKW, Sports, off-site
Old 06-26-2009, 06:23 AM   #37
dismagiclover
Mrs. Darling: Mom to Wendy, John & Michael

We did the Safari breakfast on our 2008 trip and loved it! You can't beat that first safari ride! Hopefully we'll go back next trip!

I didn't know Goofy and Pluto hung around Dinoland and in such cute costumes! What time was this?

Wow! What a deal on your ticket upgrade! Wish I would have thought of that!

Making those lightsabers is much trickier than it seems like it should be. A boy can never have too many lightsabers (at least that's what my boys think!)
Old 06-26-2009, 08:44 AM   #38
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Two more great updates! My son who was 11 at the time, couldn't quite figure out how to build the lightsabers either. There were two castmembers standing around to help the guests out.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 06-27-2009, 11:46 PM   #39
MJAJmom
DIS Veteran

Magic Kingdom Day, Ohana breakfast and parade

Today is Magic Kingdom day, starting with another character breakfast at Ohana’s at 7:30am so we can make rope drop at 9am. We park in the TTC and take the monorail to the Polynesian. MJ has really missed riding the monorail this trip. We get our picture taken. AJ refused to wear his flower lei and really didn’t even want to be in the picture. It turned out OK, so I bought it.

We were seated at the table closest to the kitchen door where the characters come out, so we’d be first to see them. That worked out great when you’re on the dine and dash plan! We got our coffee and milk, then our breakfast platter. The kids had waffles, bacon and fruit so they were happy. I’m no too crazy about the food here – I prefer a buffet with lots of choices. First out the door was Stitch who is always pretty fun. Then came Lilo who was pretty rushed to meet us, and we were first. Happened last time too, Lilo was pretty quick to say hello, barely giving the boys time for a hug or high-five.

Next came Mickey and then Pluto. Pluto always clowns around with the boys, plus MJ loves how he has to put the autograph book over his nose right close to his eyes to sign it.

Ohana’s is just OK for me, it’s convenient to MK and MJ seems to like it. So now we hop on the monorail to watch the opening show and enter at rope drop. Someday, I’d love to be family of the day!! The opening song and show is always so motivating and happy. MJ was thrilled to get sprayed with confetti at the end of the show. It was the colorful mouse ear confetti – he called it pixie dust and held onto it for quite a while.

Normally at rope drop, we head straight to FantasyLand. Today we are trying out Big Thunder Mountain for the first time. So that’s were we head, to ride it first, then get a FP for later. MJ loved it and AJ said it made him dizzy – he wasn’t sure he wanted to ride it again, but later said he loved it. AJ had been talking all week about the Jungle Cruise, he likes the crocodiles and the temple you go into. So we rode Jungle cruise and he was thrilled for the day. Next was POTC, we are all Jack Sparrow fans so this one is great. Make sure you take the path on the left when you enter, it’s so much shorter. We walked on the ride while everyone on the opposite side was waiting. We rode POTC again and had the boat all to ourselves!!.

I found a new favorite drink this week – the raspberry lemonade slush!! It was so cold, tangy and refreshing, I think I had 4 or 5 of them this week!! I mostly got them at the snack stand behind Aladdin’s Magic Carpet ride. Delicious!!!

Captain Hook was scheduled to come out at 10:15, so we waited a few minutes and were first in line. He’s pretty creepy looking!! Mr Smee is lots of fun. There was no Photopass photographer with Hook, last October there was one. We tried to find one around POTC to take our picture in front of the ride and also to do the special add-in fighting with Capt Hook, but we never found him in the 3 days at MK. Must be part of the cut backs.

The pin lanyard that MJ was wearing had some black mickey mouse ears on it. With the hot weather, they started melting off and was turning his neck black. So I went to the emporium shop on Main Street to find another one, one without any design that looked ironed-on. I told the CM what was happening, and she said that she would swap it out for free for us, saying the other one was defective. I thought that was very generous, because I bought that lanyard on our trip last October. So that was some pixie dust our way.

I wanted to see the Move It, Shake It parade down Main Street at 11:00. We caught the end of the Dreams show at the castle and found a place around the inside circle for the parade. A CM told us that the floats would come around the circle and stop, letting the characters out to dance in the streets. The parade music was upbeat and the floats were very colorful. Donald and Goofy came off the float at the end and danced with everyone. So we watched, danced and played for a while. It’s a short parade and people didn’t seem to line up too early to stake out a seat. We’ve yet to see the 3:00pm parade because we’re back at the hotel napping or swimming.

Continued on the next post….

Old 06-27-2009, 11:49 PM   #40
MJAJmom
DIS Veteran

Lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern, more rides

More parade pictures

Since we had some time before lunch, we rode the Buzz Lightyear ride. AJ loves the waiting queue with the talking Buzz and big picture of Zurg. Exiting the ride, the boys want their picture taken with Zurg behind bars. No smiles, just mean faces.

On our way to lunch, we found a photopass photographer who could take a balloons special add-in photo.

Our ADR at Liberty Tree Tavern was for 11:45am and we got right in. I heard the pot roast was good so that’s what I ordered. Clam chowder to start and strawberry shortcake for dessert. The chowder wasn’t great, next time I’ll try the crab cakes. Pot roast was decent, but the dessert was wonderful. I gobbled it up.

After lunch, we grabbed a FastPass for Jungle Cruise. Then saw Frontier Donald and Rafiki before heading out of the park back to CBR.

I just couldn’t pass up the Photopass photographers at Main Street. Once again, AJ was hot, tired and cranky, so that’s how he looked in the picture. At least for the Stitch picture, he could rest on my lap.

So finally we left the park to nap. Tonight is dinner at 1900 Park Fare and more MK.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:47 AM   #41
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Great updates! Your boys are so cute! I love all the character pictures, especially the ones w/ Stitch and Pluto at Ohana's.

The Move it! Shake it! Parade is so fun! We really enjoyed it in April and the music is so catchy--you can't help but sing and dance along.

Great photopass pictures!! Love the one with the balloons and Stitch eating an ice cream--very cute!!!

Old 06-28-2009, 03:03 PM   #42
MJAJmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd50 View Post
great trip report. Sounds like the three of you had a great time.
We really did have fun!! Now I need to figure out when to go again. Either December for MVMCP for a short trip or end of April for a longer trip. Decisions, decisions!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspads View Post
How do you manage with the loose autograph pages in the park? Were they in a book? Are they printed on cardstock? My older DS was very into collecting autographs last time around so this may be a good idea to make it extra special.

Again, so many great pics. Your boys really enjoy the characters. On our last trip my little one stayed away from them 80% of the time (he was 3.5).
The 4x6 autograph cards are beautiful and I love them. But I'll admit they're a bit of a hassle. Last trip, I just had a stack on cards, separated by parks, and then had to sort through them when we found a character. This trip I loaded them into a thin photo album that had 4 photos per page. It was much easier to sort through them. When the trip is done, I put all the signed pages in a photo album for the boys to look at.

My boys really do love the characters, so we'll enjoy the character hunting while they are still young.

Quote:
We did the Safari breakfast on our 2008 trip and loved it! You can't beat that first safari ride! Hopefully we'll go back next trip!

I didn't know Goofy and Pluto hung around Dinoland and in such cute costumes! What time was this?

Making those lightsabers is much trickier than it seems like it should be. A boy can never have too many lightsabers (at least that's what my boys think!)
I read on this forum that Goofy and Pluto were the characters at DinoLand. They had them listed on the Times Guide as 11:20-2:10 and 3:00-6:50. I was waiting for them at 11:20, so we were first in line.

[QUO
TE=mickeystoontown;32445135]Two more great updates! My son who was 11 at the time, couldn't quite figure out how to build the lightsabers either. There were two castmembers standing around to help the guests out.[/QUOTE]

Those lightsabers were not a "build it yourself" toy. I'm glad we had some help!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angies1274 View Post
Great updates! Your boys are so cute! I love all the character pictures, especially the ones w/ Stitch and Pluto at Ohana's.

The Move it! Shake it! Parade is so fun! We really enjoyed it in April and the music is so catchy--you can't help but sing and dance along.

Great photopass pictures!! Love the one with the balloons and Stitch eating an ice cream--very cute!!!
My goal this trip was to try all the photopass add-in shots. We got Tinkerbell, baby simba, stitch, balloons, darth vader. We really wanted the fighting with Captain Hook shot, but we kept looking near POTC but they weren't around anymore. No photopass photographer with the captain hook meet and greet either. Darn those cutbacks!!!

Old 06-28-2009, 03:05 PM   #43
MJAJmom
DIS Veteran

Dinner with the stepsisters, more rides at MK

We had a 5:40pm ADR at 1900 Park Fare. I was looking forward to seeing the step sisters. I’d heard so much about how funny they are. We checked in 10min early, then ended up having to wait 45 minutes to get in. Nobody in the wait area was happy waiting around. Inside didn’t seem very busy, so not sure why they are always so far behind schedule. We got something to eat first before the characters hit our table. The buffet seemed pretty basic, nothing fancy on the menu. Again, the food was just OK. The first character that came by was Prince Charming. Nice guy, but honestly kind of boring. I watched him as the night went on, he just seemed so uncomfortable and awkward, maybe he was a newer guy.

Then Drizella came by. She was very funny. She commented on our autograph cards about how ugly Anastasia was. She was very bratty!! AJ was a very shy around her. He would not speak to her and looked down the whole time.

Cinderella was very pretty and sweet. Since the boys had seen her at Akershus, they felt like they knew her already. AJ smiled and chatted with her.

Lady Tremaine asked the boys if they were behaving, using their good manners and eating well. MJ thought she had funny hair.

Now, the star of the show was Anastaia. The boys just loved her. She asked the boys why they were dressed alike, who did this to you?? She told them to tell their mother to let them make their own decision. She chatted and teased them, and the boys were laughing. She was clearly their favorite. Later, she was screaming “Mother, Drizella put a dust bunny under my bed!!”. When they announced Cinderella, she yelled “She’s really not that pretty, you know!!”.

Seeing the step sisters was the best part of dinner. I think we’ll plan on coming back here next time! With dinner over, we jump on the monorail to MK for some rides. First is Jungle Cruise, which was fun because it was at night. Then we rode Big Thunder Mountain, made our way over to Buzz Lightyear and ended up in with It’s A Small World. I didn’t want to wait in long lines for Pooh/Peter Pan since we were coming back tomorrow morning. The boys tried to pull the sword out of the stone for a while, their favorite thing to do last trip.

On our way out, I got a picture of the castle at night. So pretty!

Our night at MK has ended, and it’s home to bed. Tomorrow we come back to MK for early morning EMHs.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:19 AM   #44
goofygal531
Always planning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAJmom View Post
I found a new favorite drink this week – the raspberry lemonade slush!! It was so cold, tangy and refreshing, I think I had 4 or 5 of them this week!! I mostly got them at the snack stand behind Aladdin’s Magic Carpet ride. Delicious!!!
OMG! I had no idea they sold the lemonade in Adventureland!!!

I thought it was only sold in The Enchanted Grove in FantasyLand, right next to the tea cups!

That was my favorite drink of the trip too! I couldn't get enough of it. Perfect on a sweltering hot day!!

Our Disney Vacations
8/14 Yacht Club's Regatta Club • 8/13 Pop Century TWO WEEKS! • 2/13 Pop Century • 9/12 Port Orleans French Quarter 8/12 Pop Century
10/11 Port Orleans French Quarter5/10 Wilderness Lodge (Mom&Boys)6/09 Grand Floridian-Royal Palm Club
11/08 Boardwalk's Innkeeper's Club6/08 Grand Floridian
11/07 Caribbean Beach 2/06 Beach Club1/05 Polynesian
5/02 Dixie Landings 5/01 Contemporary/Wonder/Hard Rock Hotel 5/00 Swan
Old 06-29-2009, 11:10 AM   #45
LovingDisny
I'm not going to lie. I like to lurk.

I just got all caught up on your trip report. It looks like you had a great vacation with your boys. I also have two boys. DS3 and DS11. Our trip is planned for 6/5-6/12 2010. So far it does not seem like you had much touble with crowds. Your photopass pictures are adorable. We have not been since 2004, so I am very excited to try that. keep the report coming!
2004- CBR with hubby & oldest son
2010- POR with hubby & both boys
2013- POR with hubby & both boys AGAIN!
2015- Me, hubby & both boys - we are thinking Coronado Springs -

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: