Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2009, 08:27 PM   #16
MJAJmom
DIS Veteran

Rest of the day at DHS

This was our first time at 50’s Prime Time. We got in quickly and our server was very helpful. I ordered chicken noodle soup which was pretty bland, had the pot roast which was just OK, and the ice cream brownie for dessert which was HUGE. I had a chocolate milkshake for my drink which was awesome! The boys ate a hot dog and chicken nuggets which was just fine for the. Overall, I’d say the place was OK, not really good and not really bad.

After lunch, we used our FP to ride TSM again. Wicket’s Warehouse was right beside TSM so we checked out all the Star Wars merchandise. Since it rained, they moved Darth Maul and Darth Vader meet/greet inside to the back of Wickets, so we jumped in the very short line to see Darth Maul. I’ll have to admit that Darth Maul is my favorite Star Wars character.

This was across from Wickets, MJ could barely fit his head over hand cuffs.

After taking our picture, I tried to shake Darth Maul’s hand, but he wouldn’t and made a mean face. Then we paced around each other making mean faces. I love how they stay in character!

I told the boys they could pick out 1 Star Wars toy in Wicket’s. Of course, they picked this long clonetrooper gun. Sorry boys, but I had to turn that one down, just too big to fit in the suitcase. After much whining, they picked out some action figures instead. So now we need to make our way home so they can play with them.

In the area in Wickets where they take pictures of the bounty hunters, there’s a huge statue of Han Solo in carbon freeze. It’s funny to see how AJ hasn’t learned how to cross his arms yet.

Making our way around the park, there’s a Darth Vader’s picture area, they have the medical table background where Darth Vader is created. The boys loved making their mean faces.

There were lots of cutouts and places to take pictures along the Streets of America. Plus we found the photographer with the special add-in of Darth Vader.

We grab a Fastpass for Tower of Terror before we leave so we can try it later tonight. It’s time to head home because AJ is tired. At CBR, we pick up our refillable mugs and get a drink. The boys played in the room for a little bit before I made them take a nap. After naptime, we went back to DHS for dinner at Mama Melrose at 5:30pm.

First time to Mama Melrose, it was a pretty place. The boys got cheese pizza and ice cream. I got calamari, fra diavolo and tiramisu. The fra diavolo just wasn’t a good pick for me, too spicy. The shrimp in it was good. Next time I’ll have to try something else.

We went to see Buzz and Woody, which AJ loves. They did a great job in queue area with all the background and cutouts so you can take pictures.

Then we saw Sorcerer Mickey

Finally, it was time to try Tower of Terror for the first time. I told the boys the story about the hotel, how lightning strikes and turns the people into ghosts, and how the elevator goes up and down. Poor AJ was just clueless going in. We all screamed our heads off!!! It went up and down 5 times. AJ was scared and didn’t like it, he was grabbing onto me. MJ screamed but then thought it was sorta fun. Glad we tried it once, but we certainly won’t be doing it again this trip.

We rode Star Tours to make sure we had a “good ride” for AJ after ToT. By now, it was 8pm and time to leave for bed. It was a great first day at Disney.

Next up – switching rooms to Bldg 34 and another day of Star Wars, starting with breakfast at Cape May Cafe

June 2014 - DL planning in the works!
June 2011 - POFQ, Star Wars Weekends, Universal
April 2010 - CBR pirate room, 3rd time for just mom & 2 boys, Universal
June09 - CBR, Star Wars Weekends, just mom & 2 boys, more character meals - Trip Report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2208908
Oct08 - GF, MNSSHP, just mom & 2 boys, lots of character meals - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2013585
Apr08 - GF - 1st trip for family

Last edited by MJAJmom; 06-27-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:36 AM   #17
dspads
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAJmom View Post

Yes, the stroller is from Orlando Stroller Rentals. It's awesome, this is our 2nd time using them. MJ is 48inches and 48lbs and AJ is 42inches and 43lbs, and they fit just fine in the stroller. It pushes so easily and turns well, even with all that weight inside. Since it was just me, I really wanted to stroller in case they got tired and also to keep them confined. I pushed them all day long, so I was pretty hungry for lunch and dinner!!!
I think this seals the deal, I'll be using Orlando Stroller Rentals in Oct. My boys are a bit smaller so they should be fine. How was dealing with the stroller on the buses, it looks so big when folded?

Wow, all the Star Wars stuff is so cool. My boys would be in heaven, and they aren't even true Star Wars fans (yet). Do they have many characters around the rest of the year?

Your little guys are so cute! I give you so much credit for doing WDW alone with them. I don't think I could manage it. Was Star Tours scary for them at all? Thats one I am not sure about. I was thinking ToT would be a safer bet then Star Tours. I haven't been on either for YEARS so my memory is fuzy.

12/12 OKW
10/09 SSR & 1st time @ MNSSHP!
12/07 OKW
12/04 - 1st trip with kids! OKW
1999 - 1st trip with DH -Boardwalk/Sports
Bunch of times prior, OKW, Sports, off-site

Last edited by dspads; 06-23-2009 at 08:44 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-23-2009, 03:31 PM   #18
MJAJmom
DIS Veteran

Star Wars autographs

Thought I would add in all the autographs we got from the star wars characters. A wonderful designer named Chaoscent made all these. They really made our trip special when we were hunting down characters for autographs. My boys love to go through all the cards and talk about them. I cannot thank these designers enough for all their hard work in making autographs cards, t-shirt designs and other special treats for us to use on our trips. They blow my mind with their awesome creativity!!! Where else but with Disney can you find such generous people!

June09 - CBR, Star Wars Weekends, just mom & 2 boys, more character meals - Trip Report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2208908
Oct08 - GF, MNSSHP, just mom & 2 boys, lots of character meals - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2013585
Old 06-23-2009, 04:48 PM   #19
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Glad to see that you liked the pirate rooms at the CBR. We've stayed at the CBR three years in a row but haven't tried the pirate rooms yet. They do look cool though.

It looks like your Disney trip is off to a great start. Looking forward to reading more.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 06-23-2009, 05:01 PM   #20
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

LOVING your TR so far! Your boys are just adorable and what great Star Wars pics! I haven't seen much at all and you've got some great great shots. I'd love to take the gang there during it but the timing just doesn't work for us, we are still in school.

Try TOT again in a few years, you might be surprised. I swore we traumatized DS8 for life on it, when he was 4. He was the ONLY one dying to go on it this time and loved it (insanely so).
Old 06-23-2009, 07:21 PM   #21
Allboysandme
Earning My Ears

We were at CBR 6/6-6/13, too. I have three boys 6, 3 1/2, and 16 months. We may have seen you! I wish we would have rented a car. We never had to wait long at the bus stop, but it is hard to hold the stroller, bags, and kids. Speaking of stroller, I remember your last trip report and you were saying how much you liked the one you rented. We ended up renting the same one. It was easy to push and the kids were comfortable. My older ones are 51" and 55 lbs. and 41" and 35 lbs. Yes, they are big! But, the baby liked it, too. I was a little nervous about the pirate rooms being so far away, too. We ended up getting a nemo room in Jamaica. It was a great location and the boys suprised me by saying they wanted the nemo room. Of course, when we got there they asked where our pirate room was. It looks like we were at Crystal Palace the same time. I'll have to check out our pics to see if you or your boys are in the background. And, I love the Star Wars pics. Can't wait to see more!
Old 06-23-2009, 10:09 PM   #22
MJAJmom
DIS Veteran

Breakfast at Cape May, another day at DHS

Last night, I confirmed with the front desk that we would be transferring rooms on Sunday. So I had to pack up everything this morning and give the bags to the bellman that came to the room at 6:45am. Thankfully I didn’t unpack at all yesterday. When we come back after lunch, we have to pick up new hotel keys and our bags at the Custom House and check into our new room in Bldg 34. I thought it was worth it to change because I really wanted experience CBR to it’s fullest and walk back/forth to the pools and OPR. So it was worth the hassle to me.

Cape May Café is a great place – just love it. The buffet is very good with lots of breads, pastries, fruits and hot foods. Plus I love the characters in their beach clothes. Our ADR was for 7:40am and we were the first to check in. When they were ready to open, they called us and we were Family of The Day!! Cool!! MJ got to ring the bell to wake up the characters, they gave us a certificate, and we sat at a special table with a lighthouse on it and they had some Celebrate buttons. That was a great way to start the day!!

Every Minnie I’ve seen is played so well. Minnie is so sweet and loving and interactive with the boys. Always a good time seeing Minnie.

After breakfast, we drive to DHS and line up for 9am rope drop. The clone troopers are on the roof and talking to the crowd. They’re very funny. It keeps everyone entertained while waiting. Today we’ll follow the same start as yesterday. Speed walk to TSM, ride it and then get a FP. The ride is just so cool, wish we could ride it more!!! We’ll try to get more Star Wars characters this morning, starting first with Darth Vader because his line can get really long. He’s a pretty scary guy!! He makes everyone put their autograph book and pen right in his hand, he won’t reach for it. AJ won’t get too close to him.

Next is Ashoka Tano, she alternates with Captain Rex. She’s a young gal so she’s not “in character” at all. She’s very bubbly and the boys like here.

While waiting in line, 2 clone troopers pass by, then they stand in line at the snack concession cart. Everyone is laughing because they’re pointing to snacks they want.

Continued in next post....

Last edited by MJAJmom; 06-27-2009 at 10:56 AM. Reason: added photopass pics
Old 06-23-2009, 10:10 PM   #23
MJAJmom
DIS Veteran

More characters, lunch at Sci-Fi, and an accident

Next we move over to see the Jedi Counsel with Kit Fitso, Mace Windu and Shaak Ti. But as we got closer, their rotation was over and it switched to Anakin Skywalker. Anakin was really great. He talked to the boys for a long time. He asked MJ if he was teaching his little brother the ways of the force. He asked AJ to draw his lightsaber and show him it. When I got in the picture, he asked the boys if I was their queen (AAAwwww!!). He asked if the boys were tempted by the dark side and we talked about sensing much anger in little AJ. He did a good job being Anakin!!!

The boys wanted to ride Great Movie Ride again. Then we went to lunch at the Sci-Fi. We got in fairly quickly, but were seated in the back at table instead of the car, which made MJ very upset. He liked watching the movie but not sitting in a car was enough to make him cry. They boys had pizza and a hamburger. I had the spinach dip, a reuben and a chocolate milkshake. It was all pretty good. Seeing the UP characters was next up for MJ. He was very excited. When we got there, it was only Carl and Dug. We waited in line and saw them, but vowed that we had to come back again to try to get Russell.

The waiting queue had lots of big pictures from the UP movie.

Walking up the steps, we saw Frozone who had only a few people in line for him. The CM announced that Mr and Mrs Incredible were coming out in 2 minutes, so we’d be able to see both. We got Frozone and then were first in line to see the Incredibles. They were pretty fun.

Now it was time to go back to get Minnie Leia before leaving to head back for the hotel. The timing would work out great. Goofy/Donald were just finishing up and Minnie was next. We’re about 4 people away from Minnie and AJ says “I need to go to the bathroom”. Oh man, what bad timing!!! Can you hold it sweetie, we’re almost there. He shakes his head no. While I debate 1 minute about waiting verses leaving the line, I look over and AJ’s pants are wet and pee is steaming down his leg. Oh no!!! So now we quickly leave the line and head to the bathroom by American Idol. Thankfully I have a pair of undies in my bag and we strip off his pants, socks and shoes and change the undies. We’ve got no choice but to leave him in his undies and barefoot, put him in the stroller, and head out the park to go home.

So, the closest we got to Minnie was when they walked beside the line to switch out characters. We’ll have to try again on Friday.

Continued on next post....

Last edited by MJAJmom; 09-07-2009 at 11:08 PM. Reason: added photopass pics
Old 06-23-2009, 10:12 PM   #24
MJAJmom
DIS Veteran

Finishing our day at DHS and quick swim

We stopped at the Custom House for our new key, got our baggage, and into our new room we went, room #3411. A much closer building with the same great pirate room. So now I could unpack while the boys played. I felt like now I could relax and enjoy the resort. After some playing and some resting, we went back to DHS and saw Queen Amidala. She was very regal and very good talking to the boys. Her headdress was just amazing. Chewbacca and an Ewok were across from Star Tours. Chewy is so tall but acted like a sweet puppy. The boys loved him.

For dinner, we tried out Toy Story Planet Pizza. We all got a cheese pizza and some cookies for dessert and ate outside. It was pretty good for pizza. We used our FastPass to ride TSM again. Then decided to go home and swim, since we hadn’t gone to the pool yet. The pirate ship pool is an awesome place!!! They have a twisty tube water slide and 2 smaller slides and lots of squirty water. They boys were in heaven. So I let them play for a while, and finally it was time to go to bed. Another great day at Star Wars Weekend.

Tomorrow we’ll go to Epcot, starting with a breakfast with Princesses at Akershus.

Last edited by MJAJmom; 09-07-2009 at 11:09 PM. Reason: added photopass pics
Old 06-23-2009, 10:33 PM   #25
MJAJmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspads View Post
I think this seals the deal, I'll be using Orlando Stroller Rentals in Oct. My boys are a bit smaller so they should be fine. How was dealing with the stroller on the buses, it looks so big when folded?

Wow, all the Star Wars stuff is so cool. My boys would be in heaven, and they aren't even true Star Wars fans (yet). Do they have many characters around the rest of the year?

Your little guys are so cute! I give you so much credit for doing WDW alone with them. I don't think I could manage it. Was Star Tours scary for them at all? Thats one I am not sure about. I was thinking ToT would be a safer bet then Star Tours. I haven't been on either for YEARS so my memory is fuzy.
You'll love the stroller. I wrote a stroller review in October, here's the link: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1995724 The stroller fold up very easily but it is bulky. I had a rental car, so don't know about loading on/off the buses. It's like lugging a big lawn chair around. The star wars characters don't come out during the year, they save them all for SWW. The Star Tours ride isn't scary, if they like the Star Wars movies, they'll love it. It's just like flying in a star fighter. A few mild bumps, but my boys just love it. I think ToT was ten times scarier!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Glad to see that you liked the pirate rooms at the CBR. We've stayed at the CBR three years in a row but haven't tried the pirate rooms yet. They do look cool though.

It looks like your Disney trip is off to a great start. Looking forward to reading more.
Wow, you must really like CBR!!! I liked it too. I'll certainly stay there again, just need to decide if we'd do a pirate room or a preferred room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
LOVING your TR so far! Your boys are just adorable and what great Star Wars pics! I haven't seen much at all and you've got some great great shots. I'd love to take the gang there during it but the timing just doesn't work for us, we are still in school.

Try TOT again in a few years, you might be surprised. I swore we traumatized DS8 for life on it, when he was 4. He was the ONLY one dying to go on it this time and loved it (insanely so).
I'm glad we got to go to SWW, the boys love Star Wars!!! The timing worked out great for us since school ended on June 3rd. I'd love to do Pirate and Princess party next, but I doubt it will come back next year. MJ wants to do ToT again, he's been talking about it a lot since we've been home. Poor AJ wants nothing to do with it again!! But you're right, in a few years, all that will change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allboysandme View Post
We were at CBR 6/6-6/13, too. I have three boys 6, 3 1/2, and 16 months. We may have seen you! I wish we would have rented a car. We never had to wait long at the bus stop, but it is hard to hold the stroller, bags, and kids. Speaking of stroller, I remember your last trip report and you were saying how much you liked the one you rented. We ended up renting the same one. It was easy to push and the kids were comfortable. My older ones are 51" and 55 lbs. and 41" and 35 lbs. Yes, they are big! But, the baby liked it, too. I was a little nervous about the pirate rooms being so far away, too. We ended up getting a nemo room in Jamaica. It was a great location and the boys suprised me by saying they wanted the nemo room. Of course, when we got there they asked where our pirate room was. It looks like we were at Crystal Palace the same time. I'll have to check out our pics to see if you or your boys are in the background. And, I love the Star Wars pics. Can't wait to see more!
I bet we did see you around!!! I'm so glad you liked the stroller rental, it really is awesome! Did your boys like the Nemo room?? I'll have to decide pirate or preferred for next trip. Wouldn't it be fun if you sat right next to us at Crystal Palace?? Our boys are almost the same ages, they would have loved to play together!!

Old 06-24-2009, 06:59 AM   #26
dismagiclover
Mrs. Darling: Mom to Wendy, John & Michael

I just found this TR and wanted to hop in. We were at SWW the last weekend (6/12-13) and I love hearing about others experiences there. It sounds like it was way less crowded the weekend before. You picked a good time to go. I also love the Pirates rooms If I ever do a trip with just my boys (they are 7 & 4) we are definitely staying there! I don't think my DD9 would like that idea though Can't wait for more!
Old 06-24-2009, 07:42 AM   #27
dspads
Mouseketeer

More great pics! And I love the clone trooper mickey shirts! The pool looks awesome! My boys would love it. We are staying at Saratoga Springs -my parents are DVCers and I can't pass up a free room!

You trip seems so fun and relaxing. I guess having less adults in some ways makes it easier. We usually have various combinations of extended family with us -it is nice for the extra hands and fun for the kids, but gets pretty hectic at times.

Can't wait to read more!

12/12 OKW
10/09 SSR & 1st time @ MNSSHP!
12/07 OKW
12/04 - 1st trip with kids! OKW
1999 - 1st trip with DH -Boardwalk/Sports
Bunch of times prior, OKW, Sports, off-site
Old 06-25-2009, 08:14 AM   #28
MJAJmom
DIS Veteran

Epcot starts with a princess breakfast at Akershus

Today is our day for Epcot. We have an 8am ADR at Akershus, our first princess breakfast. Since we had 9 days, I thought we could check out all the character meals. MJ is pretty nervous because he does not like the characters that talk. And what would the boys think of girly princesses?? We got into Epcot early and strolled into The World to Norway. First was the photographers picture with Bell in her beautiful yellow gown. She really was pretty. AJ would not go near her!!! No way!!! I held him, but he was didn’t want to get too close. She was very nice chatting with MJ.

Our server was very nice and very attentive. I explained to the boys that we’d see 4 princesses. First was Aurora. She asked the boys if they had been slaying any dragons today. Oh, now the boys really liked this girl!!! She asked if they were brave and strong.

Next was Cinderella. Her dress was beautiful! She called them Prince AJ and Prince MJ. So now MJ thinks these girls are pretty cool.

Snow White saw the boys had apples on their plates and she freaked out. She asked them if they ate the apples, were they feeling OK, was there poison in the apple. I tried to retell the boys the Snow White story, but they didn’t remember and didn’t get why she didn’t like the apple.

Last was Ariel. She was very bubbly and nice. So MJ thought this whole princess breakfast wasn’t too bad after all. He said he’d go again next time. The food is just OK.

We walked over to get in line for rope drop so we could make it over to ride Soarin. I love Soarin, it’s just such a neat ride with great scenery. MJ loves the part where they hit a golf ball right at you, and then you fly into the fireworks over the castle. We got a Fastpass to ride it again later. Next was TestTrack, another favorite of the boys. They love the outdoor part where you go super fast – how thrilling is that!! Getting over to Character Spot was next, a must-do for Epcot. Seeing all the characters in their classic clothes with colorful backgrounds. Donald was especially playful today.

Looks like the boys took turns pinching Minnie's nose!

Continued on next post…..

Last edited by MJAJmom; 06-27-2009 at 01:43 PM. Reason: added photopass pics
Old 06-25-2009, 08:18 AM   #29
MJAJmom
DIS Veteran

Lunch at Teppan Edo and more characters

More pictures from Character Spot...

I was excited to hear that Daisy Duck was out so we went to find here. I really wanted to get my picture with her so I couldn’t wait. When we found her, she didn’t have a Photopass photographer with her – I was crushed!!! Her CM wasn’t close by so I couldn’t ask her to snap our picture. Daisy was fabulous, very animated and girly!!!

Today our lunch as at Teppan Edo. We started to make our way up to the countires in the World. We rode Gran Tour ride in Mexico for the first time. AJ loved it. He loved Donald and his Mexican friends. We’ll have to catch Mexico Donald on our way back from lunch. We were seated with 2 other families for lunch. Our chef really put on a great show, the boys were fascinated. He made a volcano out of the onions and then put water/oil inside to make it steam – that was huge crowd pleaser. He played tic-tac-toe with the zucchini and onions with MJ and another girl. I had the steak and shrimp combo, it was delicious!! I gobbled up all the noodles and veggies. This was a wonderful place, I’m so glad we tried it. I’ll have to add it to my list of favorite dining spots!!!

Heading out of the World, we stopped to take pictures with Mexico Donald. He was very silly!!

At the exit, we stopped to take several PhotoPass shots of the Epcot ball, plus a few special shots. AJ was tired and cranky, so he just sat in the stroller while MJ and I took pictures.

We had Tinkerbell added into the picture, but you can hardly see it because of the design on MJ's shirt (important tip to remember for next time, either wear a solid colored shirt or move your hands away so you can see Tink!)

And here's a picture from riding Test Track. Love AJ's face!

Then it was home to swim and nap.

Continued on next post....

Last edited by MJAJmom; 06-27-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:18 AM   #30
MJAJmom
DIS Veteran

Dinner at Garden Grill and more rides

Dinner tonight was a Garden Grill – never been there either. I loved the way the restaurant rotated around. That was really fun, especially when you got around to see the Livin With the Land scenery. The food was just OK, but the characters were amazing. They came around several times and played with the boys. Chip and Dale are my favorites. You just cannot take a bad picture with them!!

Dale was great. He took the boys by the hand and walked them down to the railing that overlooked the Livin With Land prairie. He pointed to different animals down there and giggled with the boys. They watched together for 5 minutes!! It was awesome!!

We rode Livin With the Land after dinner. I never knew that had all the vegetable gardens back there. I’ve never seen such huge veggies!!! We used our FP to ride Soarin again, then checked out Turtle Talk with Crush. MJ loved how Crush called everybody ‘Little Dude”. Then we used our FP to ride Test Track. I love how you can just swipe your Photopass card at the ride picture - wished they did that with the other rides/meals.

I had wanted to see Illuminations but the boys said they wanted to go home instead, so we’ll do it another trip. Today was a great day at Epcot. We tried 3 new places to eat and several new rides/shows.

Last edited by MJAJmom; 06-27-2009 at 02:01 PM. Reason: edits

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: