Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2009, 04:37 PM   #31
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

Is a split-stay a possibility? You could spend 4 or 5 nights at a Moderate; then the rest of the trip at AKL or WL?

RachelTori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:53 PM   #32
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelTori View Post
Is a split-stay a possibility? You could spend 4 or 5 nights at a Moderate; then the rest of the trip at AKL or WL?

Hi Laura, welcome to my trip report!! We have briefly thought about a split stay, but really rather want to stay put in one place. Especially since it is Katharina's first trip there will be so much that is new and exciting that it would be nice to have one constant place to go back to and feel at home at.
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-28-2009, 05:09 PM   #33
Lady Lallie
DIS Veteran

Now out of all the resorts you have listed, I have only stayed at one of them but I LOVED IT. Marc & I stayed at Wilderness Lodge and we adored it. It is so close to MK and the other deluxe hotels so you have so many dining options. I know you said you thought the room was on the dark side and I thought that would be a problem but it's not depressing or anything. We enjoyed it. It wasn't too dark for us. I loved being able to take the boat to MK, it was so relaxing after a day at the parks. Plus you can request turn down service there and that always makes you feel more special.
Lady Lallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:40 PM   #34
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Hi Laura, welcome to my trip report!! We have briefly thought about a split stay, but really rather want to stay put in one place. Especially since it is Katharina's first trip there will be so much that is new and exciting that it would be nice to have one constant place to go back to and feel at home at.
Thanks for the welcome! I subscribed the day you started it, but have been out of town quite a bit lately!

I understand the desire to stay in one place the entire trip.

With it's recent rehab, I think the nicest of the Moderates is Coronado Springs. I stayed there last October -- after the queen beds had been installed but before the room refurbishment. I have a reservation again this October and I can't wait to get back! The resort is large, but the way it's set up, it doesn't feel overwhelming. The TS restaurant, Maya Grill, is usually very good. I'm not a Pepper Market fan, but there sure is lots of variety there! (I just find it too pricey.) I've stayed there when there were conventions going on and it was never a factor -- in fact, the buses were almost empty because the conventioneers are busy working!

I used to love POFQ for it's small size, but I've stopped staying there -- not sure if it just lost it's appeal or if it's just "tired" looking to me now.

The grounds of POR are beautiful, but the resort is large. I think if you stayed in one of the mansions or in a bayou room that was close to the lobby, it would be OK.

Caribbean Beach I don't care for at all, but that's based on a 1997 stay & we haven't been back since!!

I think you know I love AKL, but WL has lots of appeal too. I guess I'd choose WL if I wanted to be closer to the action; AKL if I wanted the peace and serenity I always find there!

I know you and your sister are having fun planning this trip!!

RachelTori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:59 PM   #35
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran

Hi Magdalene! I had to laugh at your duvet comment and observation! We have a duvet/comforter on our bed and luckily my DH loves it! Our winter duvet was of course made in Germany and is flannel and just heavenly. I got our summer one at IKEA not too long ago. I miss IKEA in Fuerth!

Ok, back to your story and your hard decisions...hmm..based on what you mentioned and I've read from some people, I think I would vote for the WL. It seems beautiful and different and I think Brookelizabeth loves it too!

I think a split stay would sort of be nice, but didn't think about the issues with booking ADR's. I book our ADR's this Tuesday for our Sept trip and I've been reading up on the subject with nervous anticipation lately. I've read several people complain about their split stays and how they couldn't book all their ADR's at one time since they were given two different reservation numbers and their 90+10 started on a different day - I think you understand what I'm explaining so...I wouldn't do it based on this reason.

Keep us posted on what you decide!

Heather
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013.
DCL (Gold!): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska!), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, & 4/2014 Fantasy Next: 9/2014 (Dream for my Mom), 4/2015 Wonder & 6/2015 (Magic-Europe)
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:20 PM   #36
teruterubouzu
DIS Veteran

From your list, I've only stayed at Coronado. I have to say that I really enjoyed it. Before the rehab, the style of the rooms did not appeal to me. The new design felt very fresh and more modern. I didn't find the walk to the main building to be very long at all (I live in the city and do not drive a car, so maybe I'm not your typical person) and the buses were great.

As far as cons, go, I found that I missed being within walking distance of a park (last trip I stayed at Dolphin and walked to EPCOT). And, housekeeping had some issues. The room was tidied, but needed a vacuum and the bathroom floor a really good scrub. I know she sort of cleaned the tub, because when I stepped into it, I got a foot full of cleaning powder!

Those issues aside, I would definitely stay there again.

August 7-11, 2009 - Went back for a long weekend with my brother to relive old family vacation memories.
May 8-11, 2009 - Long weekend at Coronado Springs

August 2008 Trip Report: Disneyfied! Two sisters return to Walt Disney World after 21 years. (apologies for abandoning this)
teruterubouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:59 PM   #37
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

Oh boy. I'm going to be no help. I'm a deluxe girl all the way so I'd say AKL or WL. But honestly no matter what you pick will be fantastic! You can't really go wrong!

2xcited2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:24 PM   #38
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Port Orleans French Quarter:

pros:
everything close together
reviews say it is very quiet
urban atmosphere, unique theming (in a way very “American” to us)
jogging path
boat to DTD

cons:
no quiet pools
shares buses with Riverside
no TS restaurant
Just thought I'd had some comments on POFQ, since it's my favorite. It does share buses with POR, but I've never had any problem with them while I was there. Since POFQ is the first bus stop we always had a seat, and many times the buses didn't even stop at POR.

It is wonderfully quiet, and even the pool area never got too loud. If your looking for some quiet moments near the pool, there are some peaceful nooks around where you can be out of the way. The table service is missed, but it's only a nice walk to POR for their restaurant or a nice boat ride over to DTD.

I absolutely love it there.

Hockety Pockety Wockety Wack a Tale of a Trip from the Back of the Pack

Ferb, I Know What We're Going to Do Today! 12/5-12/1213.1 Before I hit 40 - A New PTR
If U Had Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:14 AM   #39
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by If U Had Wings View Post
Just thought I'd had some comments on POFQ, since it's my favorite. It does share buses with POR, but I've never had any problem with them while I was there. Since POFQ is the first bus stop we always had a seat, and many times the buses didn't even stop at POR.

It is wonderfully quiet, and even the pool area never got too loud. If your looking for some quiet moments near the pool, there are some peaceful nooks around where you can be out of the way. The table service is missed, but it's only a nice walk to POR for their restaurant or a nice boat ride over to DTD.

It's been years since we've stayed, but we found this to be true when we were there, too!

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 25/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:11 PM   #40
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Out of the resorts you've listed, AKL for a deluxe would be our choice (we plan to stay there next year); we've no desire to stay at the WL--we just don't like the log cabin/woodsy/pine tree theme (and the pool is very small). For a moderate our one and only choice is the Coronado (CSR); we've stayed seven times and were supposed to be there for stay eight in September until we had to cancel; the POFQ would be our second choice if the CSR is not available; we don't care for the CBR at all--the whole theme turns us off--especially the rooms and we don't like the food court at all.

RIP Genie
KatMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:42 PM   #41
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!

Hi Magdalene!! I'm signing on board to hear all about you and your sisters trip!!

I'm not a flier at all so anyone who has to get on a plane for 10 hours straight gets two thumbs up from me

I think you have chosen a great time of year, I went this last January and the weather was great, sunshine all the time, and even better the crowds were managable!

I'm like C I'm not going to be of any help mostly because I can't make any decisions myself LOL...I'm very wishy washy at times LOL!!! So I'm just going to sit back and see what you and your sisster decide~

My Magical Trips to Disney:6/2012,1/2012,10/2011, 6/2011, 5/2011, 1/2011, 5/2010, 1/2010, 10/2009, 5/2009,
1/2009, 3/2007, 5/2005 , 10/1992: First Trip to Disney (Thanks Dad!)
jenjolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:45 AM   #42
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Thanks to everyone for all your input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lallie View Post
Now out of all the resorts you have listed, I have only stayed at one of them but I LOVED IT. Marc & I stayed at Wilderness Lodge and we adored it. It is so close to MK and the other deluxe hotels so you have so many dining options. I know you said you thought the room was on the dark side and I thought that would be a problem but it's not depressing or anything. We enjoyed it. It wasn't too dark for us. I loved being able to take the boat to MK, it was so relaxing after a day at the parks. Plus you can request turn down service there and that always makes you feel more special.
Good to hear that someone was feeling the same about the WL rooms and that it was not a problem! Taking a boat really is wonderful. I enjoyed it a lot when we stayed at the Poly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBelieveInTheMagic View Post
Hi Magdalene! I had to laugh at your duvet comment and observation! We have a duvet/comforter on our bed and luckily my DH loves it! Our winter duvet was of course made in Germany and is flannel and just heavenly. I got our summer one at IKEA not too long ago. I miss IKEA in Fuerth!
To be honest, there are always certain things that one does not understand about foreign cultures. The lack of duvets is one thing - as is the English sink which has seperate taps for hot and cold water! This is what I am talking about:

You probably have not yet seen the new IKEA in Fürth? They moved to the other side of the street a few years ago and this is now one of the largest IKEAs I know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teruterubouzu View Post
From your list, I've only stayed at Coronado. I have to say that I really enjoyed it. Before the rehab, the style of the rooms did not appeal to me. The new design felt very fresh and more modern. I didn't find the walk to the main building to be very long at all (I live in the city and do not drive a car, so maybe I'm not your typical person) and the buses were great.

As far as cons, go, I found that I missed being within walking distance of a park (last trip I stayed at Dolphin and walked to EPCOT). And, housekeeping had some issues. The room was tidied, but needed a vacuum and the bathroom floor a really good scrub. I know she sort of cleaned the tub, because when I stepped into it, I got a foot full of cleaning powder!

Those issues aside, I would definitely stay there again.
Thank you very much for your comment, it was very helpful. Katharina and I live in a city, too. We actually share a car which mainly sits in its garage. Our main methods of transport are foot, bike and public transport. So I guess we would have a very similar perspective on the walking issue.

Unfortunately those resorts from which you can walk to a park are not really in our price range. But this is one of the things we really enjoy about the layout of DLRP: you can actually easily walk to both parks there from the hotels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
Oh boy. I'm going to be no help. I'm a deluxe girl all the way so I'd say AKL or WL. But honestly no matter what you pick will be fantastic! You can't really go wrong!
I guess I am bit of a deluxe girl myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by If U Had Wings View Post

POFQ really sounds wonderful when you write about it, I know that you find it difficult not to stay there in December! The more we look into it, the more it appeals to us. I am just not so sure about the AC units. I remember when I stayed at Riverside, I found them rather noisy. I really prefer the internal AC system AKL has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggrbaby View Post
It's been years since we've stayed, but we found this to be true when we were there, too!
POFQ really looks very peaceful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Out of the resorts you've listed, AKL for a deluxe would be our choice (we plan to stay there next year); we've no desire to stay at the WL--we just don't like the log cabin/woodsy/pine tree theme (and the pool is very small). For a moderate our one and only choice is the Coronado (CSR); we've stayed seven times and were supposed to be there for stay eight in September until we had to cancel; the POFQ would be our second choice if the CSR is not available; we don't care for the CBR at all--the whole theme turns us off--especially the rooms and we don't like the food court at all.
Welcome! I am sorry that you had to cancel your trip! I guess you are right that besides buses, dining, housekeeping and such, it really comes down to which theme you really enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjolt View Post
Hi Magdalene!! I'm signing on board to hear all about you and your sisters trip!!

I'm not a flier at all so anyone who has to get on a plane for 10 hours straight gets two thumbs up from me

I think you have chosen a great time of year, I went this last January and the weather was great, sunshine all the time, and even better the crowds were managable!

I'm like C I'm not going to be of any help mostly because I can't make any decisions myself LOL...I'm very wishy washy at times LOL!!! So I'm just going to sit back and see what you and your sisster decide~
Hi Jen, welcome to my PTR! I rather don't want to think about those 10 hours on the plane...
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007

Old 07-05-2009, 10:11 AM   #43
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

A few more thoughts...

I am so glad that they changed the ADR window to 90 days! Otherwise we would be making ADRs in 25 days - before we would be able to book a package! But it really should only be about a month until 2010 rates come out. I really hope there will be no unpleasant surprise!

On resorts we have boiled our choices down to AKL, POFQ and CSR. We are really leaning towards AKL as this is the one that is most special. Also we really like the food choices there. So unless Disney makes it extremely more expensive in 2010, it looks like we will be staying there - and will be hoping for a nice code to come out in the fall for January!!

We also have started to talk about dining options.

So far Katharina has a list on our wiki with all table service restaurants that she found interesting when reading her passporter - it has 27 restaurants on it! Unless we decide to get the Deluxe Dining Plan, I can't see how we would manage all those! And no, we are not thinking about any dining plan! I really enjoy having a bit of flexibility with regard to my meals, especially since the jet lag confuses my meal times.

My list has California Grill and Flying Fish on it as well as the request for one nice TS or buffet breakfast. Otherwise there are a few places that I have not eaten at that I might be interested in trying: SciFi Dine In, The Wave and Biergarten. Of course there are many places that I would love to return to, but I really want to let Katharina choose where she wants to eat.

Some of our choices will also be determined by the menus. Not so much for what we like, but whether they look like they have something Katharina can eat. She has recently found out that she has a number of food intolerances (fortunately no allergies!) and should avoid dairy, tomatoes, onions, lemons and red wine. I have already studied the DISabilities board and their FAQ. Disney really is extremely accomodating with all dietary needs, so I am sure Katharina will get something to eat, but it would be nice, to actually go somewhere where you can order things off the menu and don't have to hope that the chef will be creative enough to come up with something more interesting than plain meat and potatoes.

We also talked a bit about park touring. We have always been rope drop people and Katharina is even more of an early riser than me. But I have never made it to morning EMH at WDW. We did them on our last trip to DLRP and got to ride Dumbo numerous times! (See picture in first post) So I have been considering them seriously. Also, I heard recently on the WDWToday podcast that while the Unofficial Guide recommends to stay away from them, they do that because they don't trust people to really be there early enough. But that they actually are worth it if you are there for rope drop at 8 am. So it looks like we will try that in January! Of course now I am waiting impatiently for the park hours to be posted for our trip! January should be up at the beginning of October!

Old 07-05-2009, 12:57 PM   #44
wigdoutdismom
DIS Veteran

Subbing in, can't wait to read all the details!
Old 07-05-2009, 03:13 PM   #45
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
I HATE sinks like that! And most of Disney's are that way.

I kinda figured you would end up at AKL again! It's always a good choice-you know what to expect, you know you love it, and you will be more at ease in introducing your sister to WDW. I bet you'll get a great code too!

That is so funny about her having 27 places she wants to try! I'm that way too-so many options, I guess we just have to keep going back and back, eh?

I think the morning EMH will be well worth it. I want to think I'll do that in December so we can truly get some park time in before the masses appear, but, we'll see....!
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
brookelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: