Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should Shocker attempt to devour the 48 ounce steak at Shula's?
No, he might get sick and ruin the rest of the vacation for Wigd. 9 21.95%
Yes, he has the right to take this challenge. 32 78.05%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2010, 08:59 PM   #1
wsushocker
DIS Veteran

1,353 MILES! "Get Your Motor Runnin'" or "Leaving on a Jet Plane"?

All of a sudden, last night, I was making ADRs for a trip that suddenly materialized out of thin air!

Wigd had been obsessing over a spring break trip and kept asking if I thought we could go. I had been checking flights for months and nothing was coming up at a price I thought was acceptable. You see, living in the air capital of the world does not mean we have cheap, or even decent, airfare. In fact, if we can get round trip flights under $350, we consider ourselves blessed!

Nothing was coming up under $400 and that was leaving at 5:00 in the afternoon, arriving at Orlando at midnight, and departing Orlando at 6:00 in the morning on our last day. Leaving Wichita sooner and departing Orlando later pumped the ticket price up to over $500!

As we were sitting at a basketball game on Saturday morning, Wigd decided to call DVC to "just see" what was available. I continued watching the game and knew that "just see" meant something would be booked. It was kind of like a parent saying "maybe" and the child knows it means "YES!"

When she got back, I asked where we were staying and she gave me the options. She had booked SSR in a studio but said we had points and the availability for a 1BR at Boardwalk. (Why do two adults need a 1BR?) I now had 10 seconds to decide if "we" wanted the 1BR. Why did she even ask? Why not simply book that one in the first place? Out she ran to make a return call to DVC to snatch up the 1BR.

As luck would have it , the 1BR was still available. We just returned from the World 12 days ago, and we would be going again at the end of May for a two week park/cruise/park stay. Now we were going back in 63 days!

The question of the moment is, how are we getting there and back? I have always wanted to drive but looking at the miles and time does not make me . So many variables.....When do we leave? Do we try to drive straight through? If we choose to spend the night on the road, where do we stop? How many routes should we consider in case of those infamous spring snowstorms? Do we stay on 4 lane highways or venture off to some 2 lane byways? How many books on tape will I need to check out? But most importantly, will we be speaking pleasantly , or at all , to each other by the time we get to the Boardwalk?
All Star Movies June '06 Port Orleans French Quarter '07 Old Key West June '08 Saratoga Springs July '08 Saratoga Springs October '08 Old Key West March '09 Saratoga Springs/Beach Club May/June '09 Animal Kingdom-Kidani/Saratoga Springs December '09 Boardwalk March '10 Beach Club/DCL (Wonder) May/June '10 Bay Lake/Beach Club/Boardwalk July '10 Boardwalk October/November '10 Beach Club/Riverside December '10 Beach Club March '11 Beach Club/DCL (Dream)/Vero Beach May/June '11OKW/Saratoga Springs December '11/January '12 Boardwalk March '12 Animal Kingdom Lodge (Jambo)/Wilderness Lodge/DCL (Dream)/Vero Beach/Beach Club June July '12 Bay Lake October 2012 Beach Club Villas December/January 2012/2013 Beach Club Villas March 2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo/DCL (Fantasy)/Beach Club Villas/Vero Beach/Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani/ May June 2013Bay Lake Tower October 2013
wsushocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:00 PM   #2
wigdoutdismom
DIS Veteran

Oh Gee, it's me!
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
manntra
DIS Veteran

Woo hoo!!!! This is going to be GOOD!!!!!
Love the title and can't wait to see how you decide to get there.
And ADR's already made??!!

Tracy
Old 01-10-2010, 09:27 PM   #4
raider97
DIS Veteran

I heard you had started your pre-trip report and thought I'd pop by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsushocker View Post
It was kind of like a parent saying "maybe" and the child knows it means "YES!"
This is too cute! My dh does the same thing to me regarding disney.

We live about 18 hours away and we have talked about whether we should drive or fly the next time we go. I am interested to hear how things pan out.

Last edited by raider97; 01-10-2010 at 09:49 PM.
raider97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:28 PM   #5
michellem1118
DIS Veteran

I didn't get in on the TR until page 49... but I'm getting in early over here. Hopefully, I'll continue to find time to check in on both!
Dec. 2000-Jan. 2001 ~ AS-Sports ... April 2007 ~ CSR (joined DVC) ... Oct. 2007 ~ SSR ... July-Aug. 2008 ~ OKW & DCL ~ HONEYMOON! ... March 2009 ~ SSR ... July 2009 ~ 1st anniversary @ AKV ... Christmas 2009 ~ Family Trip @ SSR ... March 2010 ~ BCV ... June 2010 ~ John's (late) birthday celebration @ VWL ... July-August 2010 ~ 2nd anniversary @ BLT/VWL ... Upcoming: June 9-16, 2011 ~ Club Level! at AKV & BWV

The Summer of Disney - June 2010 & July/August 2010 Trip Report
Bringin' the HAPPY Back! Spring Break 2010 Trip Report
Never Again! Our Holiday Family Trip
michellem1118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:36 PM   #6
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

I made it on the first page this time! Thanks for the heads up!!!

So excited you are getting your spring break trip!!!

Since Shocker is writing this one, does it mean we get lots of hysterically funny pictures???
Charleston Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:39 PM   #7
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

I have a feeling this is going to be a fun PTR

We have the same issue with airfare here. If I can find a flight below $300 I feel like I've done something! Dallas is just a little over 2 1/2 hrs from us though so we sometimes drive down and fly out of DFW where airfares tend to be quite a bit cheaper at times.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:40 PM   #8
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Oh, and I did the math for you -- if you are driving approx. 60 miles an hour and each audio book is approx. eight hours long, you will need six audio books for the round trip.
Charleston Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:50 PM   #9
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!

HOLY MOLY I made it to page 1!! WOOT love the Title Shocker!! I'm looking foward to much mischief and mayhem and funny pictures that make milk come out of my nose WOOT!!!!

Can't wait to hear all your little details!

My Magical Trips to Disney:6/2012,1/2012,10/2011, 6/2011, 5/2011, 1/2011, 5/2010, 1/2010, 10/2009, 5/2009,
1/2009, 3/2007, 5/2005 , 10/1992: First Trip to Disney (Thanks Dad!)
jenjolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:52 PM   #10
zendisney
The Dis is like potato chips... just one bite and your hooked

It sounds delightful

I can't wait to hear how this all pans out...
I know between the two of you there will be an adventure.
I am happy that you guys got BW.
Keep us posted on the Adventures of wigd and shocker Spring Break or BUST!
zendisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 09:56 PM   #11
wsushocker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigdoutdismom View Post
Oh Gee, it's me!
oh yeah, YOU I remember!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manntra View Post
Woo hoo!!!! This is going to be GOOD!!!!!
Love the title and can't wait to see how you decide to get there.
And ADR's already made??!!
Tracy
I'm pretty excited about the ADRs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider97 View Post
We live about 18 hours away and we have talked about whether we should drive or fly the next time we go. I am interested to hear how things pan out.
Stephanie
We had discussed driving in July but there will be no real time restraints on that trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellem1118 View Post
I didn't get in on the TR until page 49... but I'm getting in early over here. Hopefully, I'll continue to find time to check in on both!
Thanks for joining in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Since Shocker is writing this one, does it mean we get lots of hysterically funny pictures???
I will do my best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl View Post
We have the same issue with airfare here. If I can find a flight below $300 I feel like I've done something! Dallas is just a little over 2 1/2 hrs from us though so we sometimes drive down and fly out of DFW where airfares tend to be quite a bit cheaper at times.
I checked flying out of Dallas, OKC, KC, and even StL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Oh, and I did the math for you -- if you are driving approx. 60 miles an hour and each audio book is approx. eight hours long, you will need six audio books for the round trip.
Or maybe War and Peace?
All Star Movies June '06 Port Orleans French Quarter '07 Old Key West June '08 Saratoga Springs July '08 Saratoga Springs October '08 Old Key West March '09 Saratoga Springs/Beach Club May/June '09 Animal Kingdom-Kidani/Saratoga Springs December '09 Boardwalk March '10 Beach Club/DCL (Wonder) May/June '10 Bay Lake/Beach Club/Boardwalk July '10 Boardwalk October/November '10 Beach Club/Riverside December '10 Beach Club March '11 Beach Club/DCL (Dream)/Vero Beach May/June '11OKW/Saratoga Springs December '11/January '12 Boardwalk March '12 Animal Kingdom Lodge (Jambo)/Wilderness Lodge/DCL (Dream)/Vero Beach/Beach Club June July '12 Bay Lake October 2012 Beach Club Villas December/January 2012/2013 Beach Club Villas March 2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo/DCL (Fantasy)/Beach Club Villas/Vero Beach/Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani/ May June 2013Bay Lake Tower October 2013
Old 01-10-2010, 10:00 PM   #12
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsushocker View Post
I checked flying out of Dallas, OKC, KC, and even StL...
Hmmmm, I bet they are high because it's spring break and a busy travel time. Keeping my fingers crossed that cheaper airfares come out for you!! That's a really long drive.......
Old 01-10-2010, 10:03 PM   #13
wsushocker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjolt View Post
HOLY MOLY I made it to page 1!! WOOT love the Title Shocker!! I'm looking foward to much mischief and mayhem and funny pictures that make milk come out of my nose WOOT!!!!

Can't wait to hear all your little details!
Old 01-10-2010, 10:10 PM   #14
wsushocker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zendisney View Post
I can't wait to hear how this all pans out...
I know between the two of you there will be an adventure.
I am happy that you guys got BW.
Keep us posted on the Adventures of wigd and shocker Spring Break or BUST!
I think a car video recorder is a must!

Old 01-10-2010, 11:18 PM   #15
vamassey1
DIS Veteran

Signing up! Now I've got to go back and get caught up.

April 83- Choir trip offsite
Sept 99- Hilton Hotel Plaza
March 02-Movies
Thanksgiving 02-Marriott Hotel Plaza
Mardi Gras 04-Movies
New Years 06-POP
May 07-POP
June 09-POP
Mardi Gras 10-POFQ
Mardi Gras 12-PORS
vamassey1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread