Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2009, 01:32 PM   #1
Tri-circle-D
Throwing some love to TCD
They are full and clean!

6/11/09 3 Night Wonder Trip Report-with 500+ Photos!!!

The TCD Gang sails again!!

You trip report fans may remember that the TCD gang sailed on a 3 night Wonder cruise last June (2008). The epic trip report from that sailing can be found here: 6/5/08 3 Night Wonder Trip Report

That trip report included copies of Navigators and some useful tips. Truth be told, not much has changed on the Wonder in the past year, so I do not have new tips, and I also won't be posting copies of the Navigators, as those available elsewhere here on the Disboards are still accurate.

To refresh everyone's memories, the TCD gang consists of me, TCD a/k/a Old Pappi, together with Mrs. TCD, and our three DD's who were 17, 14 and 14 on this cruise. Also joining us for this cruise was our oldest daughter's BFF, who just turned 18. The older girls just graduated high school, and the twins just graduated from 8th grade. This trip was planned a few months ago when Mrs. TCD and I suggested to the girls that we would rather take them on a cruise than host graduation parties for them. The girls readily agreed, and the trip was booked. So this is a quadruple graduation celebration cruise!

This was our 4th cruise with DCL. We have been on a four night, a seven night, and now two three night cruises.

As you will see, we had a blast! The weather was great. Definitely the smoothest sailing that we ever had. And, we met up with a popular castmember from a previous sailing.

But, let's start at the beginning.

We are Florida residents, and we drive to the port. We arrived at the parking lot at about 9:55 am, and found ourselves at the front of the line to enter! After waiting five minutes, we were directed to pull up and unload our bags, and so we did. The porters took the bags, and Mrs. TCD and the girls entered the terminal. I parked the car, and hurried in. Mrs. TCD was first in line for the Castaway Club check in!

The castmembers arrived, and began checking folks in shortly after that. We had completed the online check-in process, so our check in took just a few minutes. Before we knew it, we had our Key to the World Cards, and Lanyards. Luckily, I remembered to ask about a boarding pass, as no one was passing them out when we came in. The castmember took a card out of his pocket. It had a high number like 12 on it, but he crossed that out, wrote a number two, and initialed it, and handed it over.

We then were directed to a new area, where each member of our party had to come and have a photo taken. This is a new step in the check-in process that we have not encountered before. But, it was quick and painless. What I don't like is that they have this area set up in the part of the terminal where there is a big map of the Caribbean on the floor. Here is the area that I'm referring to:

Although this messes up the opportunity to take a good look at the map, you can still get close to some things:

The photos that they take are somehow tied to your KTTW card. Whenever you leave or enter the ship, they scan your card, and your photo shows up. I guess this keeps someone else from trying to use your card.

So. we were checked in before 11 am. This left us about an hour to kill in the terminal before boarding would begin. Not a problem. There is plenty to see and do.

There is a little porch that you can walk out on to see the ship. Here are Mrs. TCD and middle DD in front of the Wonder:

And, if you look at the second row of verandas just above Mrs. TCD's head, you can see our cabins. We booked category 5's for this trip, cabins 7516 and 7518. These are the first cabins with verandas on the starboard side of the ship. So, in this photo, they are the verandas that you see right next to the portholes there on deck 7. This was our first cruise with verandas. I loved them, but we will talk about money a little later on in this report, and I will share my thoughts on whether they were worth it.

So, you saw the mouse ear entry way in the photo above. Look at the fun we had with that:

That is the middle DD, again. And, here I am, so you can put a face with this report:

Here is a shot of the ship model, where we can see our cabins. They are to the right of the top of the stairs that you see here. One of the cabins is cut away to show the stairs:

I tried to convince my other DD's to come and get a photo in front of the mouse ears. They would have none of that. But my oldest DD's BFF was game, so she came over to get a pic. As we were getting set up, look who came walking in to the terminal! The Captain!:

We got the shot, before scrambling over to get in the line to meet the captain:

We were second in line to meet the big cheese:

That's middle DD, oldest DD, Capt. Mickey, oldest DD's BFF and TCD in that photo, so you keep everyone straight.

Good thing we got on line when we did, because the line got pretty long:

Well, we still had some time to wait. So, we decided to find a place where I could stretch out and practice some of my dance moves. If you read last year's trip report, I was chosen as one of the Village People to perform at the sail away party. I wanted to make sure my dance moves were sharp, so I would catch the castmembers' eyes again. We found a little area in the terminal where we could do some practicing:

First, I had to stretch out:

And, here I am practicing the Hoedown Throw-down from the Hannah Montana movie:

Here's a little robot move, just in case:

Are we having fun yet?

I'm good to go with the dancing.

Here's a shot of the terminal that shows its size:

And, here is one of the many details that you will see if you look around carefully:

In case you're counting, that makes 20 photos for this post. So, time to stop, and start another.

If I had to guess, I would say that this trip report will end up with about 500 photos, but don't hold me to it.

Next up- We hang out in the terminal. And, then, finally, we board!

TCD

Last edited by Tri-circle-D; 07-01-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Tri-circle-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:44 PM   #2
jessrose18
ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE!!

first on board!

jessrose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-19-2009, 02:50 PM   #3
Tri-circle-D
They are full and clean!

We are still in the terminal. But boarding time is getting closer.

Here is the TCD gang chilling in the terminal:

See that little rolling cooler sitting there? That's mine. Folks ask about whether it is OK to bring soft sided coolers onto the ship all the time. Thanks to the Disboards, I know that it is OK. I have 18 beers in there, along with some sliced limes, about a half dozen frozen water bottles. In not very long at all, that cooler will be sitting next to my lounge chair on deck 9, and I will be enjoying an ice cold Corona! Thanks Disboards!

Here is another of those cool details I mentioned:

This is a speaker for one of the TV's that play vintage Disney cartoons in the terminal:

Here's another detail shot:

We went over to check out the Navigators that they have on display on the table by the youth activities section of the terminal. One of the DD's asked me to take a photo of this castmember, Hans (from Belgium) because he is "hot." I don't see it, but what do I know?:

While in this area, I decided to step out on the porch to get a few more photos of the ship. It is amazing the amount of work that goes on while the ship is in port:

Here we are back in the terminal:

There was a recent thread on these boards where several folks mentioned that they were not aware that there is a little coffee shop in the terminal. Where there is, and here are some photos of it, as well as a price list for the items that they sell there:

As I was checking this area out, an announcement was made that the family of the day would now be boarding. It was not us . But, at about 11:45, they called for all passengers holding #2 Boarding cards. That is us!

So, I hurried back to join the gang.

On the way, I got one more pic of the hotness that is Hans:

(I am still not seeing it, but what do I know?).

We grabbed our stuff, and plowed through the unfortunate folks who had higher numbered boarding passes, but still felt it was necessary to wait in front of the roped off area, stopped for our boarding photo, and then hit the gangway!

Here we are walking onto the ship!:

I am not certain of this castmember's name. But, he was great. I think it's Mark. He's Australian. We ran into him again on Castaway Cay, at the bike rental location of all places. The girls did their Australian accents for him, and he did his American accent for us. He did a pretty good New Yawk accent. Fun guy.

Sheez, that's another 20 photos.

But, at least we are on the boat.

Next up, Parrot Cay!

TCD
Old 06-19-2009, 03:01 PM   #4
Narnia_girl
DIS Veteran

before I read any further I just had to comment on the dance photos....those are the best! I am literally LOL.

okay, on to reading the next part of your report...

Narnia_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:04 PM   #5
Live4FW
Camperteer
Probably going to be useless trying to sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-circle-D View Post
I am not certain of this castmember's name. But, he was great. I think it's Mark. He's Australian. We ran into him again on Castaway Cay, at the bike rental location of all places. The girls did their Australian accents for him, and he did his American accent for us. He did a pretty good New Yawk accent. Fun guy.

TCD
Hey there TCD,

Just checking in with you. Yes, his name is Mark and he welcomed Mrs Liv4FW and myself onto the Wonder last Sept. He is really a great and fun guy. Had a blast playing bingo with him.

Enjoying it so far. If this one is half as good as your last, it will be another awesome report. We were supposed to be at sea today on the Magic but had to cut back on the vacation expenses. Oh well, at least I get to enjoy your trip report.

Maybe I should start a rant about you locals getting all the discounts......just kidding.
Live4FW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:07 PM   #6
Narnia_girl
DIS Veteran

great report so far....can't wait to read the rest. That's a neat idea with the mouse ears, I have not seen anyone else do that.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:20 PM   #7
lklasing
When being chased by a bear, you don't have to outrun the bear. You just have to outrun the other guy.

As a big fan of TCD reports, I'm definitely in. Until I can ever get DH on a cruise , I'll enjoy living vicariously through others.

Leslie
WDW Trips: Several as a child with parents and grandparents; June 2003-FW; May 2005-Poly GVC; May 2007-Poly GVC (trip report); May 2008-Fun at FW cabins (trip report); November 2008-Fun at the Fort-Thanksgiving Style (trip report); September 2009-Back to the Fort-Labor Day (trip report); March 2010-Spring Break-lots of pics and FPs (trip report); May 2011-BLT; March 2012 - FW Cabins; August 2012 - DCL Dream!
lklasing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:38 PM   #8
Tri-circle-D
They are full and clean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrose18 View Post
first on board!
Welcome! And, thanks for reading along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia_girl View Post
before I read any further I just had to comment on the dance photos....those are the best! I am literally LOL.

okay, on to reading the next part of your report...

Wait, is that a dis on the Dis? What's so funny about the dance pictures? Stick around if you want to see some really funny pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live4FW View Post
Hey there TCD,

Just checking in with you. Yes, his name is Mark and he welcomed Mrs Liv4FW and myself onto the Wonder last Sept. He is really a great and fun guy. Had a blast playing bingo with him.

Enjoying it so far. If this one is half as good as your last, it will be another awesome report. We were supposed to be at sea today on the Magic but had to cut back on the vacation expenses. Oh well, at least I get to enjoy your trip report.

Maybe I should start a rant about you locals getting all the discounts......just kidding.
Thanks for the confirmation on Mark's name.

Maybe you will see some other familiar faces on this report.

And, in a bit, I am going to talk money. I got a pretty sweet deal on this cruise. Maybe you non-Florida residents will want to skip that part of the report. Sorry. For what it's worth, I don't think it's fair either.

But it's good to be TCD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia_girl View Post
great report so far....can't wait to read the rest. That's a neat idea with the mouse ears, I have not seen anyone else do that.
Well, of course you haven't. I discovered it. Quite by accident. Just kidding. I saw that little trick done here on the Disboards quite some time ago. I don't know why more folks don't do it. It's easy with a digital camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lklasing View Post
As a big fan of TCD reports, I'm definitely in. Until I can ever get DH on a cruise , I'll enjoy living vicariously through others.

Leslie
OK, Leslie, what is DH's problem? He needs to read this report so he can see what fun a cruise can be! Oh, and as a fan of TCD trip reports, you may be expecting some "behind the scenes" investigative reporting. Well, not to worry, we will have some of that coming up later.

But first, we need to look at our first moments on the ship . . .

TCD
Old 06-19-2009, 04:16 PM   #9
Tri-circle-D
They are full and clean!

Well, this report is flowing along smoothly, isn't it?

So where were we?

Oh yes, we have boarded the Disney Wonder.

Somehow, we are not quite the first ones on the ship.

But, we are pretty close.

According to the time on my camera, that last photo with the TCD girls and Mark was taken at 11:48 am. Wow, we are on the ship before noon!

So, as you may know, once you board, the first order of business is lunch. You can walk through the lobby, hang a left, and go to Parrot Cay, or you can hop on the elevators to Deck 9 and eat at Beach Blanket Buffet. We have always chosen Parrot Cay, and that's what we did today.

On the way to the restaurant, we walked by the Promenade Lounge, where we saw this display:

So what's with the giant beer mug made of ice?

They sell beer packages and water packages here. You can order the beer, or water (and wine, too, I think), and they will deliver it to your stateroom. Well, as I mentioned, I have 18 beers in my cooler already, and I also packed a case of water in a duffel bag that will be delivered to my cabin, so we have no need for a beer, water or wine package. Off we head to lunch!

From what I hear, the food served in Parrot Cay and Beach Blanket Buffet is the same on embarkation day. We like sitting in the air conditioning, and having waiters bring our drinks, so this is why we choose Parrot Cay. Here is the whole TCD gang in one place!:

Here are the graduates:

Here is another of those details that many of you would probably miss were it not for TCD's observation skills:

Here are the TCD twins. One DD ordered a Cherry Coke with lunch, and got quite the hook up in the cherry department:

After a leisurely lunch, we discuss the game plan for the afternoon. By now, we have carefully scoured the Navigator, to be sure that we will not miss anything. The Navigator tells us that the Lion King is playing on the Aerial Screen on Deck 9, and also that there are no planned activities in Diversions. Mrs. TCD and I know that we are going up to sit in the sun on Deck 9, by the Goofy pool. That is what we always do. The girls decide that they will explore the ship, check out the teen club, look for Hans, and other such things. They will visit the cabins at 1:30, and possibly will join us on Deck 9 if they don't find anything better to do. So off we go.

Mrs. TCD and I have our swim suits in carry on bags, so we change into them, choose a lounge chair, and pop a beer. We are on vacation!

Not many folks are in their suits. I think we have a lot of first timers on this cruise. And lots of unfortunate soles who don't know about the Disboards. So, they are in their clothes, and can't enjoy the pool.

As we were sitting there, look who came strolling by:

According to his companion, Goofy had just completed some treatments in the spa, and felt great! Then the companion handed us a flier listing the spa services. I think this was some cheap marketing ploy. I don't think Goofy had any treatments at all.

Here is Mrs. TCD enjoying a cold one:

After a bit, one of the DD's joins us, and we take a swim.

And, we met this friendly fellow:

As DD and I were swimming, the Lion King movie ended, and the ship's DJ's came out to play some music. We usually get to know these castmembers pretty well, so we were planning to go up and say hello and maybe make a request. As we listened to them introduce themselves, we thought we heard the word "Pikey."

"Did someone say Pikey?" we asked each other.

Have you heard of Pikey?

He is a favorite castmember of many who sail on DCL.

And, we have a history with Pikey.

We had a blast with him when we sailed the Magic for Thanksgiving in 2005.

Are there any Turkey Day Gang members in the house?

We got out of the pool to take a look.

Is that Pikey?:

Sweet Niblets!

That is Pikey.

THAT IS PIKEY!!!!!!!!!

In case you haven't noticed, that is a big deal to the TCD gang.

We can't believe that Pikey is on our cruise.

Although I read the Disboards faithfully, I didn't know Pikey was back with DCL. Last I had heard, he was working in Disneyland Paris.

Anyway, we enjoy some swimming, and listing to the music, and Pikey's announcing.

Check out these geniuses in the pool:

The pool got a bit crowded:

We went up and chatted with Pikey and DJ Frankie. Pikey told us he was in charge of the adult activities on the cruise. He will be on the Wonder through September. My DD requested that they play the Hoedown Throw-down from the Hannah Montana movie so she can dance (remember, that is the dance I was practicing in the terminal ).

Not long after that, Pikey announced that they would be playing the Hoedown Throw-down, and that anyone who would like to join him could come up to the stage to dance.

Hmmm. He said anyone.

Mrs. TCD asked me not to.

But since when do I listen to her?

Well, to tell you the truth, always.

So, just DD went up to dance:

DD said Pikey knew the dance almost as well as I did. Way to go Pikey!

Pikey kept playing the music, and making announcements all the way up until 3:30, when it was time for the safety drill:

We got a couple of quick pics with Pikey, and then headed down to the cabin for our life jackets:

TCD
Old 06-19-2009, 09:13 PM   #10
Minnie&Mickey
I want to live at the Fort!

I am so excited!!! It's another TCD trip report! Even if it doesn't involve going to the Fort, I can already tell it is going to be great!

Minnie&Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:19 AM   #11
ICEMANPAD
The Turkey Day Gang sails again.

Hey TCD-

We missed ya'all by a week....We were on the 6/4/09 3 night Wonder!! Yep, we saw lots of Pikey on our cruise as well!! Great trip report!!

Lisa and Chuck
11/20/2004 Original DCL Magic Turkey Day Gang Members;11/19/2005 DCL Magic Turkey Day Gang Part 2;11/18/2006 DCL Magic Turkey Day Gang Part 3;11/17/2007 DCL Magic Turkey Day Gang Part 4;03/29/08 DCL Magic Eastern Spring Break;07/03/08 4th of July on the Wonder; 11/22/08 Last Minute add on to Turkey Day Magic (Part 5); Last Minute add on to end of school year Wonder 6/4/09; 11/21/09 Turkeys Again on the Magic (Part 6); 8/8/10 Summer Vacation on the Wonder; 11/24/10 Thanksgiving on the Wonder; 8/7/11 very last minute Dream; 8/16/11 Turkeys on the Dream; 11/19/11 Thanksgiving on the Magic; 8/11/12 Summer Vacation on the Fantasy; 11/21/12 Family and Friends Thanksgiving on the Dream; 8/5/13 Alaska on the Wonder; 2/14/14 Last Minute Holiday on the Magic; 3/22/14 Spring Break on the Fantasy!!; 12/21/14 Christmas week on the Magic; 7/22/15 12 Night Baltic Magic
ICEMANPAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:41 PM   #12
Leger13
DIS Veteran

TCD,

I came over to the DCL Trip Report section just to see pics and such but am throughly enjoying seeing your pictures and reading about your trip so much that I needed to subscribe. My DH and I are toying with the idea of taking a 3 day cruise the first week of December so I'm trying to find out as much info as I can so I can be prepared. I'm SO excited and reading your TR is making me even more excited. I mean, you JUST got on the ship and you are already having so much fun!

Can't wait to read more!

Carla
Old 06-20-2009, 01:09 PM   #13
Narnia_girl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-circle-D View Post

Wait, is that a dis on the Dis? What's so funny about the dance pictures? Stick around if you want to see some really funny pictures.
Not a chance! That is pure admiration, my friend!!! Just had to laugh at the mid-stride shots. Can't wait to see you bust a few more moves.

also, very glad you included the link to your prior cruise report. I am having my husband read through that. So many of these are written from a woman's perspectice that it was great to read your view and your tips. It's just the practical kind of information he values. So thanks!!

Old 06-20-2009, 05:33 PM   #14
Tri-circle-D
They are full and clean!

As mentioned, this was our first experience with a veranda. Naturally, I had to take some shots of the terminal from our cabin;

I didnít realize that your veranda neighbors can easily see into your veranda. Here is a shot of the veranda of cabin 7516, taken from cabin 7518:

Here are the veranda safety rules, in case you were wondering:

This is where the DCL buses pull up when they arrive at the terminal. Make sure to note the Mickey head accents:

Of course, we had to participate in the safety drill. I thought maybe the veranda folks got to go to some special muster station somewhere, but we were out on Deck 5. It was pretty crowded out there:

The safety drill is quick and painless. We dropped our life jackets off in the cabin, and then got up on deck for the sail away party.

Here is one last shot of the terminal, as this would be the last time it was outside of our veranda until we got back on Sunday:

There have been reports on the Disboards that DCL has stopped handing out streamers for folks to wave at the sail away party. I spotted these when we were heading out to the dance floor:

But, it turns out that these were used by the castmembers. We did not get any streamers to wave on this cruise 

And, then it was time to get the party started!:

The girls quickly accomplished one of their goals. To get on the big screen:

More sail away party shots:

I was doing my best to get noticed by the castmembers, so I would get selected to come up on stage for the Y.M.C.A. performance. As you can see, there was quite a crowd.

So, did TCD repeat as the Native American?

Check back to find out.

TCD
Old 06-20-2009, 05:42 PM   #15
HappyGrumpy
DIS Veteran

More I need more this is such a great report! It's getting me through until December!!!! Pictures Pictures Pictures!
HappyGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: