Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2009, 09:08 AM   #1
TinkerBelle_325
WDW Destination Blog owner and CSR FAQ thread runner!
 
TinkerBelle_325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario CANADA
Posts: 3,862

Typhoon Lagoon FAQ & TIPS

A furious storm once roared across the sea...
Catching ships in its path, helpless to flee...
Instead of a certain and watery doom…
The winds swept them here…to TYPHOON LAGOON!

The story of Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon tells of a quaint tropical paradise that was caught in a typhoon. This storm swept boats, surfboards, fishing gear and numerous other nautical wonders to the formerly pristine resort and created a unique water park!

The icon of the park is “Miss Tilly,” the boat that is precariously perched atop Mount Mayday. This tug boat blows its horn, sounds the alarm, and shoots water when the waves are imminent at the Typhoon Lagoon Surf Pool!


ENTRANCE & OVERVIEW
As you enter Typhoon Lagoon, you will be sent down a lush path. Veer right and you will be taken to an observation platform that provides you with a view of Mount Mayday and the Typhoon Lagoon Surf Pool. Veer left and you will be taken past Singapore Sal’s, the parks gift shop, and High ‘N Dry Towels, which offers rentals of towels, lockers, and lifejackets for small children.

Past High N’ Dry Towels is a foot bridge. As you cross, look down and you will see Castaway Creek, the 2,100 foot lazy river, with five entrances, that encircles the park. At the other side of the bridge you will find the Typhoon Lagoon Tip Board. This board tells you the weather forecast, temperature of the water at various attraction, wait times, and tips for touring.

From the Tip Board you can choose to go left or right. Located directly behind the tip board is the Typhoon Lagoon Surf Pool. The beach that surrounds the pool provides the majority of lounge chairs and seating areas in the park.

Head left and you will find Blustery Bay, one “inlet” off the surf pool. This area is close to the clock tower, Leaning Palms – the main counter service restaurant, and Ketchakiddee Creek. Blustery Bay also features two small slides called the Bay Slides designed for little ones to make a big splash!

If you continue past Ketchakiddee Creek, you will find the tube slides at the base of Mount Mayday – Keelhaul Falls, Gangplank Falls & Mayday Falls.

Head right from the footbridge and you will find Whitecap Cove, another “inlet” off the surf pool. This area is close to Surf Doggies – a small snack stand, and Let’s Go Slurpin – a full service bar offering cold beer and tropical drinks. Whitecap Cove is also close to Humunga Kowabunga and Typhoon Tilly's - another counter service location.

If you continue past Humenga Kowabunga you will find the Storm Slides – The Rudder Buster, The Jib Jammer and The Stern Burner. Continuing back into the park you will come across Shark Reef.

At the very back of the park there are Mountain Trails, a series of suspension bridges and paths that give you a unique view of Mount Mayday, Castaway Creek and the entire park.

Now, for a third option from High N’ Dry Towels, head to the far right, NOT over the foot bridge but down the path by the change rooms. This will take you to Hideaway Bay a calm pool with no waves and the exit point for Typhoon Lagoon’s newest attraction, The Crush N’ Gusher!


RIDES IN DETAIL

Typhoon Lagoon Surf Pool

Castaway Creek

Ketchakiddee Creek

Keelhaul Falls

Mayday Falls

Gangplank Falls

Mountain Trails

Shark Reef

Storm Slides
- Rudder Buster
- Jib Jammer
- Stern Burner

Humunga Kowabunga

Hideaway Bay

Crush N’ Gusher
- Pineapple Plunger
- Coconut Crusher
- Banana Blaster

AMENITIES IN DETAIL

Singapore Sal’s

High N’ Dry Towels

Change rooms

Leaning Palms

Typhoon Tilly’s

Happy Landings Ice Cream

Surf Doggies

Let’s Go Slurpin


Typhoon Lagoon Surf Pool TIPS

I'm starting this thread as an off-shoot of the other TL thread. For any that are frightened by the wave pool, or feel it may be dangerous, I offer this:

The wave pool IS very strong and can be shocking if you don't know what to expect. I think that everyone who has ever been to TL has been scraped at one point, but the reason for the rough surface is to provide traction! With waves at such high intensity your feet need something textured to grab on to. I will admit that when I'm in the wave pool I'm ALWAYS watching for anyone struggling and I actually helped notify the lifeguards of someone struggling once.

Also, you would be amazed how quickly they can stop the waves and make the water as calm as a normal swimming pool. It takes all of 30 seconds to go from 6 foot waves to complete calm.

TIPS for the first-timer or leery wave-pool goer:
1. Before you run into the wave pool WATCH! This will help you get a feel for the pattern of the waves and observe the other swimmers.
2. Start out shallow and towards the middle. If you watch the pool, you will see that the waves actually crest higher at the sides of the pool, with the highest point being at the curve (there is a red line on the floor of the pool to mark this spot, it also marks the transition to the very deep water)
3. Typhoon Lagoon's waves give you a great audio cue! There is a massive *whoosh* followed by screams (LOL) that will signal when the wave is headed your way.
4. I feel the best place to catch waves is at about hip to chest level in the water. Here are my wave surfing tips:

1. When you hear the *whoosh* i recommend that you turn your BACK to the wave...yes....your BACK.
2. Look over your shoulder and when the wave is about 5 feet away....JUMP! This way your head will stay above the water, you will see where you are going and your back will take the majority of the force. It will carry you a good 20 feet.
3. Land as though you are jumping on the ground, knees bent to take a good amount of the force.
4. Repeat.

Everytime I have used this technique, I have about a dozen people copy it as they see I don't get overpowered by the wave.

Happy Surfing!
__________________
Past Trips to the World....CSR (18) CBR (8) POLY (5) WL (4) BC (3) YC (2) AKL (1) BWI (1) POR (1) Offsite (4)
Upcoming...October/November 2014 - AKL
Blog: WDW Destination Blog Twitter:@thedisneyfoodie Instagram: WDWDestination
CURRENT DINING REPORT: ~First we eat, then we do everything else! May 2014~
UPCOMING DINING REPORT: It's the most wonderful time...FOOD & WINE! Oct/Nov 2014~

Last edited by Cyrano; 05-03-2013 at 02:39 PM.
TinkerBelle_325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:18 AM   #2
funhouse8
How can you invest so much money on a vacation and be so clueless?
If we keep going to Disney we will be like Peter Pan and never grow up!
 
funhouse8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: long island, ny
Posts: 3,812

I was telling my family just how strong the waves were while we were waiting in the pool for them to begin. Noone believed me. Well when that wave hit, it hit hard. I have some advice, leave your glasses and your headbands back on shore. LOL Thank goodness we found them.
__________________


MarkGina Jesse30Melinda28,Kristi24&T yler23
funhouse8 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-19-2009, 09:49 AM   #3
DisneyBamaFan
Alabama - 2009 National Champions
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Blairstown, NJ
Posts: 7,629

There are only a few wave pools in the world that use the same technology employeed at TL. TL's wave pool is designed to create large waves that can be surfed (body or board) every 90 seconds or so. It is not like a standard wave pool, that really only creates swells. Just like real waves at the beach, these waves can knock you down and drag you under. But, just like the beach, these waves are a blast!

We go out into the deep water. We are all very strong swimmers. The chances of being dragged along the bottom (very rough - ouch!) are almost non-existent out there (plus, there are fewer people to dodge).

My advice - go out to the deep water. It is great!
DisneyBamaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:47 PM   #4
RabFlmom
DIS Veteran
 
RabFlmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Space Coast
Posts: 1,772

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyBamaFan View Post
There are only a few wave pools in the world that use the same technology employeed at TL. TL's wave pool is designed to create large waves that can be surfed (body or board) every 90 seconds or so. It is not like a standard wave pool, that really only creates swells. Just like real waves at the beach, these waves can knock you down and drag you under. But, just like the beach, these waves are a blast!

We go out into the deep water. We are all very strong swimmers. The chances of being dragged along the bottom (very rough - ouch!) are almost non-existent out there (plus, there are fewer people to dodge).

My advice - go out to the deep water. It is great!
To your advice I add.....
But only if you know how to swim! It is amazing how many people just assume they will be OK or that they can keep their kids safe because they can touch bottom. If the wave throws you and you lose grip on your child, you may end up far away from each other.
When I had a summer camp for 6-12 years olds, the # 1 rule for getting into any water over 3 feet was that you could jump into the water and swim across an olympic size pool and back. Being able to get to the edge of a regular kidney shaped back yard pool is not really swimming well.
Lifeguards will not allow you to hang on to the edge of the pool or to the rope keeping you out of the area where the wave originates, so you have to be able to tread water for a good piece of time or know how to stay afloat with little effort/movement.
If you can't swim than no more than waist deep works, but you have to do as Tinkerbelle said and get some forward movement going for when the wave hits you.
__________________
Rabflmom
RabFlmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:12 PM   #5
ash-n-brensmom
DIS Veteran
 
ash-n-brensmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 2,098

My advice...skip it!! Sorry, had to say that..we are avoiding TL this year because of the wave pool...you guys are all NUTS!!
ash-n-brensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
winterman
DIS Veteran
 
winterman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Hollis, Maine
Posts: 3,505

My advice: When the horn sounds, get out of the water as quickly as you can.

__________________
Linda , Bill

1976, 8/1990 offsite (DS and DD's first trip), 11/1995 Disney's Village Resort, 9/1997 CSR (first trip just the two of us), 9/2000 POFQ, 9/2002 offsite, 5/2004 offsite with adult kids, 9/2005 Pop, 9/2006 Pop, 5/2008 offsite, 9/2009 ASMu/POFQ, 4/2010 Pop, 10/2011 Pop (last trip for DH), 12/2012 POR (first solo trip), 7/2013 POR (with DD, DSIL, and DGS!), 11/2013 POFQ (with DS!),11/2014 POFQ (with DS!), 4/2015 ASMo (with DD, DSIL, DGS)

winterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:03 PM   #7
ski37
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Lafayette, Colorado
Posts: 148

That's why we go there...for the WAVES!!


ski
ski37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:33 PM   #8
wdwmaw
planin' next trip
 
wdwmaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: georgetown, ky
Posts: 2,610

Thank you for doing this, I hope this becomes a sticky. This info is very important for first timers and average swimmers, esp. those with kids.

I would like to see you add info that this is the perfect place for swim shoes for added traction and no my family does not wear them but I can see where they could help here.

Oh, and yes we love Typhoon Lagoon !!!
__________________
dh meds dsgdd



24 trips and plannin' the next 1
wdwmaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:40 PM   #9
tinkerbell3747
DIS Veteran
 
tinkerbell3747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 734

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski37 View Post
That's why we go there...for the WAVES!!


ski
Indeed my kids love TL its their fav park.....We are all strong swimmers but since my DD is only 5 (yes she can swim....we live on an island so its second nature) we only allow her to stand with water to her waist since waves still come in taller than she is....

A word or ten of advise to the ladies dont go in the wave pool with a string bikini on my daughter on TWO occassions has come up with Bikini tops in hand and she did not remove them they were floatingin the area where she ended up....
__________________
Shakisha
Me DH DS (10) DD (7)
tinkerbell3747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:18 AM   #10
carmiedog
needs more kool-aid
 
carmiedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,127

I think the hip to chest water level advice is spot on.

My advice? Do not sit in the shallow water thinking that will make you stable enough that the waves won't push you around. I'm not a little person and was sitting flat on my rump, but the water was still able to pick me up and push me along the bottom, scraping my hands. Standing in the deeper water (back to wave) was much easier on me.
carmiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:29 AM   #11
mollygirl13
DIS Veteran
 
mollygirl13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 1,864

Thank you SO much for your great tips!
DH and I love TL and the wave pool. Can't wait to go in Sept!

I love hearing the *whoosh* sounds followed by all of the SCREAMS!
It makes me laugh every time I hear it!
__________________
mollygirl13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:55 AM   #12
RabFlmom
DIS Veteran
 
RabFlmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Space Coast
Posts: 1,772

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwmaw View Post
Thank you for doing this, I hope this becomes a sticky. This info is very important for first timers and average swimmers, esp. those with kids.

I would like to see you add info that this is the perfect place for swim shoes for added traction and no my family does not wear them but I can see where they could help here.

Oh, and yes we love Typhoon Lagoon !!!

Swim shoes for the wave pool never entered my mind cause we don't wear them, but I think they would be perfect for the wave pool. Great idea!
__________________
Rabflmom
RabFlmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:02 AM   #13
RabFlmom
DIS Veteran
 
RabFlmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Space Coast
Posts: 1,772

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmiedog View Post
I think the hip to chest water level advice is spot on.

My advice? Do not sit in the shallow water thinking that will make you stable enough that the waves won't push you around. I'm not a little person and was sitting flat on my rump, but the water was still able to pick me up and push me along the bottom, scraping my hands. Standing in the deeper water (back to wave) was much easier on me.
The wave starts out at 6 feet and by the time it gets to the end of the pool( not the L part) it is still almost a 2 foot wave which is as big or bigger than the waves you see on the East coast on most days during the summer when we call it Lake Atlantic. They will still knock you down-especially if you don't see it coming and if you are hanging onto the hand of a child reacting to it. LOL I spent more time tumbling this weekend than I have in years trying to keep my nephew from tumbling. LOL
__________________
Rabflmom
RabFlmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:07 AM   #14
wdwmaw
planin' next trip
 
wdwmaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: georgetown, ky
Posts: 2,610

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabFlmom View Post
Swim shoes for the wave pool never entered my mind cause we don't wear them, but I think they would be perfect for the wave pool. Great idea!

OT, I love your location. If we go to the beach we always stay at the Paradise Beach Club in Satellite Beach and it is just the best area. I can not think of the name but there is a pizza place that we eat at almost everyday that is to die for. Sorry, just had to tell you how much I love the area you live in.
__________________
dh meds dsgdd



24 trips and plannin' the next 1
wdwmaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:27 AM   #15
TinkerBelle_325
WDW Destination Blog owner and CSR FAQ thread runner!
 
TinkerBelle_325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario CANADA
Posts: 3,862

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse8 View Post
I was telling my family just how strong the waves were while we were waiting in the pool for them to begin. Noone believed me. Well when that wave hit, it hit hard. I have some advice, leave your glasses and your headbands back on shore. LOL Thank goodness we found them.
It is very hard to convey the strength of the waves to a first-timer! I have seen flip flops, headbands and even someones trunks wash up on shore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyBamaFan View Post
There are only a few wave pools in the world that use the same technology employeed at TL. TL's wave pool is designed to create large waves that can be surfed (body or board) every 90 seconds or so. It is not like a standard wave pool, that really only creates swells. Just like real waves at the beach, these waves can knock you down and drag you under. But, just like the beach, these waves are a blast!

We go out into the deep water. We are all very strong swimmers. The chances of being dragged along the bottom (very rough - ouch!) are almost non-existent out there (plus, there are fewer people to dodge).

My advice - go out to the deep water. It is great!
The deep water is fantastic if you are a strong swimmer!

If not, it is a VERY scary place to be, the currents can catch you by surprise, you can become fatigued from treading water. I do not recommend the deep water unless you swim frequently and can tread water for more than 10 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabFlmom View Post
To your advice I add.....
But only if you know how to swim! It is amazing how many people just assume they will be OK or that they can keep their kids safe because they can touch bottom. If the wave throws you and you lose grip on your child, you may end up far away from each other.
When I had a summer camp for 6-12 years olds, the # 1 rule for getting into any water over 3 feet was that you could jump into the water and swim across an olympic size pool and back. Being able to get to the edge of a regular kidney shaped back yard pool is not really swimming well.
Lifeguards will not allow you to hang on to the edge of the pool or to the rope keeping you out of the area where the wave originates, so you have to be able to tread water for a good piece of time or know how to stay afloat with little effort/movement.
If you can't swim than no more than waist deep works, but you have to do as Tinkerbelle said and get some forward movement going for when the wave hits you.
It is very scary how many parents assume that lifeguards are there to babysit

Lifeguarding is a very difficult job that requires intense focus on the entire pool, not just little timmy or susie as they venture away from mom & dad.

Hip to chest level water is the best. You will be deep enough for the wave to "catch" you and take you a good distance, but will still feel in control. Forward motion and UPWARDS motion. You want to be as high into the wave as you can be for the right visability and control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash-n-brensmom View Post
My advice...skip it!! Sorry, had to say that..we are avoiding TL this year because of the wave pool...you guys are all NUTS!!
I can totally understand how you feel. In fact, a lot of people feel that way about swimming in general. I started this thread to help EASE the fears and share advise on how to make TL safe & fun for all levels of swimmers

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterman View Post
My advice: When the horn sounds, get out of the water as quickly as you can.

LOL ok that is one method

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski37 View Post
That's why we go there...for the WAVES!!


ski
Same here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwmaw View Post
Thank you for doing this, I hope this becomes a sticky. This info is very important for first timers and average swimmers, esp. those with kids.

I would like to see you add info that this is the perfect place for swim shoes for added traction and no my family does not wear them but I can see where they could help here.

Oh, and yes we love Typhoon Lagoon !!!
I would love for this to become a sticky! I have been visiting Typhoon Lagoon since the first year it opened and I have been swimming since I was old enough to get in water (i.e. infant in mom & tots water class lol). I was a certified lifeguard from age 17 to 20 and now at 24 I still try to keep up my swimming ability and refresh my memory to basic swim safety, first aid and rescue techniques. They have come in handy in MANY situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell3747 View Post
Indeed my kids love TL its their fav park.....We are all strong swimmers but since my DD is only 5 (yes she can swim....we live on an island so its second nature) we only allow her to stand with water to her waist since waves still come in taller than she is....

A word or ten of advise to the ladies dont go in the wave pool with a string bikini on my daughter on TWO occassions has come up with Bikini tops in hand and she did not remove them they were floatingin the area where she ended up....
LOL! Yes, I have seen this happen too. The force of that water is shocking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmiedog View Post
I think the hip to chest water level advice is spot on.

My advice? Do not sit in the shallow water thinking that will make you stable enough that the waves won't push you around. I'm not a little person and was sitting flat on my rump, but the water was still able to pick me up and push me along the bottom, scraping my hands. Standing in the deeper water (back to wave) was much easier on me.
When I was 5 years old, on my first visit to TL my mom and I sat in the shallow water. I was a strong swimmer at the time but I still to this day remember being knocked backwards head over feet and having the living daylights scratched out of me. I never sat down on that surface again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygirl13 View Post
Thank you SO much for your great tips!
DH and I love TL and the wave pool. Can't wait to go in Sept!

I love hearing the *whoosh* sounds followed by all of the SCREAMS!
It makes me laugh every time I hear it!
We know we are officially at Typhoon when we hear the *whoosh* and screams! We all turn to each other and say "Here come the waves!" and laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabFlmom View Post
Swim shoes for the wave pool never entered my mind cause we don't wear them, but I think they would be perfect for the wave pool. Great idea!
We live in swim shoes at Typhoon. They help with traction and make the day easier on your feet for slides etc. Lifeguards seem to be of differing opinions on whether you can wear them down the slide. If they say no, simply hold on to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabFlmom View Post
The wave starts out at 6 feet and by the time it gets to the end of the pool( not the L part) it is still almost a 2 foot wave which is as big or bigger than the waves you see on the East coast on most days during the summer when we call it Lake Atlantic. They will still knock you down-especially if you don't see it coming and if you are hanging onto the hand of a child reacting to it. LOL I spent more time tumbling this weekend than I have in years trying to keep my nephew from tumbling. LOL
My number 1 piece of advice is to be alert! Watch the waves before you go and notice the height and pattern. Focusing purely on watching a small child can cause YOU to end up getting hurt.
__________________
Past Trips to the World....CSR (18) CBR (8) POLY (5) WL (4) BC (3) YC (2) AKL (1) BWI (1) POR (1) Offsite (4)
Upcoming...October/November 2014 - AKL
Blog: WDW Destination Blog Twitter:@thedisneyfoodie Instagram: WDWDestination
CURRENT DINING REPORT: ~First we eat, then we do everything else! May 2014~
UPCOMING DINING REPORT: It's the most wonderful time...FOOD & WINE! Oct/Nov 2014~
TinkerBelle_325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Baby Formula - Any tips or tricks? Nennie Budget Board 31 06-25-2009 11:14 AM
Typhoon lagoon accident 6/17! bunnymkc Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies 53 06-23-2009 08:40 AM
Deluxe Pools???? Minnie Disney Resorts 11 06-20-2009 09:26 AM
tipping procedure question mikayla73 Disney Cruise Line Forum 14 06-19-2009 11:35 AM
Pool Party what to bring? java Community Board 7 06-19-2009 08:33 AM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: