Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2009, 07:23 PM   #76
MomofCKJ
I just lost steam at about 5 minutes
Wants to really smell the roses
I will not eat the second end of the hot dog

And on a current trip note our travel documents arrived today! We are good to go!

27 days away and I hope to start going through our toiletry bag soon and see what we have/what we need. Also need to sit down with Belle and the laptop and take a look at SeaWorld and formulate a plan.

I am still unsure how we are getting to DC and SW. I vetoed renting a car. I just honestly don't want to drive down there by myself. So our options are a shared Mears Shuttle (cost effective) or a taxi (faster but more expensive). My country mouse of a daughter (we live in a town of 5000 people, not even a one stoplight town, ours is a no stoplight town!) is afraid to take a taxi. Not sure what she is afraid of, that he'll kidnap us or what but the idea of a taxi freaks her out. Methinks she needs to experience a little of the world outside of our podunk little town and take a taxi ride! It is faster though I don't know how much more costly. The Mears shuttle they told me is like $18 per person round trip but being a shared shuttle I just don't know how long it will really take, how many hotels it stops at. There in lies my current dilemma. What would you do? I hate being stuck on a shuttle and wasting valuable time but if a taxi is a ton more is it wise?

Oh and not a great picture but this is the tattoo I got earlier this summer, I love it!

Allyson
Old 07-27-2009, 09:41 PM   #77
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

What a great day you had at DHS! I love your Minnie ears! I would have been a nervous wreck about the race, but I know you must have done just fine!

LOVE the tattoo!!! Too cool!!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-28-2009, 10:58 AM   #78
cuppycake
Official Disney Nut

I'm here! I love the idea of a trip alone with each of my girls when they are older...what fun!! I hope that it helps your relationship with your daughter...it's such a rough age.

Love the new shoes...I do hope they are as comfy as your old ones. How crazy that they both crapped out at the same time!

I'm digging your plans. Sounds like you will be jammed packed with FUN! It is getting so incredibly close, isn't it??!?!?

I, too, won the Universal pass, but (like you) just won't give up my Disney time (plus, let's face it, I'd have had to pay for three more people)!

As for the bag...I'm glad that it's one of the few things that I'm actually NOT obsessed with (YET!!). At least I can save that money for a slushie If you get a new one, you must post a pic!!!

Lovers of WDW....lucky enough to visit every 1-2 years since our girls have been around....usually staying at Pop Century

DLP Nov 2012
Old 07-28-2009, 09:44 PM   #79
princess&her4princes
DIS Veteran

Hi Allyson!!

I LOVE your tat!!!! Too cute!!!

I say take the cab....that's my vote and i'm sticking to it!!
Old 07-28-2009, 10:43 PM   #80
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofCKJ View Post
And on a current trip note our travel documents arrived today! We are good to go!

27 days away and I hope to start going through our toiletry bag soon and see what we have/what we need. Also need to sit down with Belle and the laptop and take a look at SeaWorld and formulate a plan.

I am still unsure how we are getting to DC and SW. I vetoed renting a car. I just honestly don't want to drive down there by myself. So our options are a shared Mears Shuttle (cost effective) or a taxi (faster but more expensive). My country mouse of a daughter (we live in a town of 5000 people, not even a one stoplight town, ours is a no stoplight town!) is afraid to take a taxi. Not sure what she is afraid of, that he'll kidnap us or what but the idea of a taxi freaks her out. Methinks she needs to experience a little of the world outside of our podunk little town and take a taxi ride! It is faster though I don't know how much more costly. The Mears shuttle they told me is like $18 per person round trip but being a shared shuttle I just don't know how long it will really take, how many hotels it stops at. There in lies my current dilemma. What would you do? I hate being stuck on a shuttle and wasting valuable time but if a taxi is a ton more is it wise?

Oh and not a great picture but this is the tattoo I got earlier this summer, I love it!

Allyson
I love all that prepacking fun! Can't wait to do it again

RE the tat, I LOVE IT!!! One really crossed the line when Mickey becomes a permanent fixture on the body!!! Sign me up!

Re the TR on the race, really fun reading, thanks for sharing...

Twas the Night BEFORE Christmas 09?!PTR! Ho Ho Ho!Away we go!A WDW Christmas 09 TR! All aboard a WONDERful TR! Boo to YOU! Sept 09 TR
WDW 4th of July 09 PTR!I Want to Ride the Cotton Ball! July 4th 09 TR!Snow, Savannah, & NO School! Feb '10 TR Christmas fix MVMCP 2010 TR
One Family, One Year - a June '10 PTR The Ingredients for Pixie Dust - June '10 TR Disney-Landing Halloween - a Halloween '10 PTR/TR
Dream for two - Feb '11 TRSummer of Sea and Shore - June '11 PTR Strapping Turtles on our Feet! - June/July '11 TR
MY MAGICal Black Friday Thanksgiving Cruise - Nov '11 PTR/TR

Oct 2000 - Disney Magic 7 night cruise * Oct '03 - Contemporary * Oct '05 - WLV * Nov '08 - SSR * June/July '09 - OKW * Sept '09 - CBR * Dec '09 - BCV * Feb '10 - AKL * Feb '10 - Disney Wonder 3 night Cruise/Disney HH * June '10 - BLT/BCV * Oct '10 - Grand Californian * Dec '10 AKV - Kidani *
February '11 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/BLT * June '11 - Disney Dream 5 night cruise/Disney's Vero Beach/Ft. Wilderness/AKL Jambo * Oct '11 - WLV/SSR * Nov '11 Disney Magic 7 night cruise * February '12 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/AKL Jambo * June/July '12 - BCV/WLV * Nov '11 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise *
Old 07-30-2009, 08:53 AM   #81
MomofCKJ

Saturday January 10, 2009
The alarms went off and up we got! I think I had them set for like 2:45 ish. We woke and I was so jittery/excited! We got ourselves ready and ate a bagel with some peanut butter. Made multiple checks of what we needed. Had our chips on, had our numbers, had our Sport Beans and some money, I had a camera, chapstick, our room key. DH used his Body Glide, we double triple checked (we do that alot!). Our friends were up and we all headed to the lobby to catch the bus. It was so dark and if I recall chilly as well.

I had my WISH shirt under my pink shirt and figured as I got hot I'd peel off the pink. The fleece would stay in the bag we could check at the race. I had my WISH hat too. I knew there would be WISHers cheering along the race and wanted all the support I could get and wanted to be able to identify myself to my fellow peeps in the lime!

We got to Epcot and had to walk waaaaay over to the area where everything was set up. We got our bags and figured out what we wanted to store in them and checked them in. It was crowded but things went smoothly and we didn't wait a long time. There were more porta potties than I have ever seen in my life! We repeatedly used them.

I had brought some disposable blankets I had gotton in the camping section at Walmart and we huddled under them to keep warm.

Finally it was time to head down to the corrals. Grumpy and I were in a closer corral than Snow and Doc and to this day I don't know why or how. They are much faster than us. It didn't matter we had waited too long to get down there that we didn't get to our original corral anyway. It was a sea, an ocean, of people and the excitement was palpable.

The first corrals went off and I know there were fireworks, at least I think there were? LOL! I took off my capris and tossed them to the side with all the other abandoned clothing. Yes I had a running skirt underneath! I have been told they take all the cast off clothing, clean it and donate it. There sure was a lot!

The start is slow as you wait to get to the front. The characters were there to wave and see you off!

The plan was Grumpy and I would run together and Snow and Doc would catch up. Then we'd pair off, girls and boys. I gave Julie every opportunity to not hang back with me (she finished 3rd for women in a recent Marathon in NC, she is speedy!) but she wanted to run with me the whole time.

They had a later start being in a further back corral but caught up to us around mile two. Grumpy had run to the side to tinkle and then they showed up. We all ran together till about mile 3 I think, near the toll booth. Now before this point, or around this point, we saw the elite runners coming BACK on the other side of the highway, amazing!!!

To give you an idea there are walkers, runners, walk/runners, the whole gamut. The one thing that was tough was sometimes keeping a pace because it was so crowded and you would be going along and then hit a bunch of walkers or slower runners and you would need to adjust, go around, etc. We did see a few accidents where people fell over the curb trying to go around or bumped into other people. There were something like 18,000 people running to give you an idea and I think just under 13,000 finished. If you don't keep a 16 minute mile pace (or maybe it is 16 1/2 minute mile pace, I forget) they will sweep you off the course.

At this point I needed to stop and walk a bit. We had run the first 3 miles which was kind of amazing for me as in training I had only been running a mile/walking a 10th and so on. So at Mile 3 we walked a short stint (maybe 2 minutes or so). Then ran again and so it would go, run a mile, walk a few minutes, etc. Towards the end of the race my walk breaks got a bit longer but Snow was great about encouraging me along.

At each Mile Marker was a sign with the time. This was the time from when the first person crossed the line. We crossed later being so far back. At this Mile 5 marker it had actually been 1:05 for us.

As you can see the sun is starting to come up! It is probably around 7:20am at this point. We are getting ready to hit the CR area and then enter the MK!

Allyson
Old 07-30-2009, 09:42 AM   #82
princess&her4princes
DIS Veteran

This is SO exciting to read about!! You're doing a great job writing about it, I feel like I'm there with you!!!! Thanks for sharing!!
Old 07-30-2009, 10:04 AM   #83
Happydog
DIS Veteran

HOw inspirational! I love the story and the anticipation! WAY cool! Can't wait to hear more!

Twas the Night BEFORE Christmas 09?!PTR! Ho Ho Ho!Away we go!A WDW Christmas 09 TR! All aboard a WONDERful TR! Boo to YOU! Sept 09 TR
WDW 4th of July 09 PTR!I Want to Ride the Cotton Ball! July 4th 09 TR!Snow, Savannah, & NO School! Feb '10 TR Christmas fix MVMCP 2010 TR
One Family, One Year - a June '10 PTR The Ingredients for Pixie Dust - June '10 TR Disney-Landing Halloween - a Halloween '10 PTR/TR
Dream for two - Feb '11 TRSummer of Sea and Shore - June '11 PTR Strapping Turtles on our Feet! - June/July '11 TR
MY MAGICal Black Friday Thanksgiving Cruise - Nov '11 PTR/TR

Oct 2000 - Disney Magic 7 night cruise * Oct '03 - Contemporary * Oct '05 - WLV * Nov '08 - SSR * June/July '09 - OKW * Sept '09 - CBR * Dec '09 - BCV * Feb '10 - AKL * Feb '10 - Disney Wonder 3 night Cruise/Disney HH * June '10 - BLT/BCV * Oct '10 - Grand Californian * Dec '10 AKV - Kidani *
February '11 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/BLT * June '11 - Disney Dream 5 night cruise/Disney's Vero Beach/Ft. Wilderness/AKL Jambo * Oct '11 - WLV/SSR * Nov '11 Disney Magic 7 night cruise * February '12 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/AKL Jambo * June/July '12 - BCV/WLV * Nov '11 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise *
Old 07-30-2009, 10:22 AM   #84
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

You are doing a great job of inspiring me to try it. If ANY place could inspire me to run it would be WDW. But waking at 2:45am?! Although I suppose the feeling of accomplishment is worth it. And to do it with DH and best friends? Well that would be AWESOME!

I'm also interested to know what else is on your mutual list and what feat is next for you four!

Very wise of your friends to leave the Disney portion to you. I also wonder when the TSM mania will die down? It is awfully fun, though. And way to go beating Grumpy!

Chocolate covered banana is your Disney snack of choice, huh? I've never even noticed them in WDW. Will have to check them out next time.

Love your tattoo. Is it terribly inappropriate to ask where it is on your body? I've always wanted a tattoo but worry about sagging, stretch marks or professional occasions where I don't want a tattoo to be visible. Did it hurt a lot to get?

3 weeks and 3 days your ticker says til your trip. I'm so excited for you!!

On the taxi vs. Mears bus. Tough call. I totally agree with not navigating it yourself. I did a quick google and it looks like Mears is $16 each round trip so $32. A taxi is, according to this post I found, ~$30-50 each way. Depends on your budget, of course, and I am a but I always prefer things that are at my beck and call and work on my schedule. And I like helping Belle get over her taxi fear.

Let us know what you decide.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:29 PM   #85
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Wow! What a neat window into the marathon experience!!! I can't wait to read more about it!
Old 08-02-2009, 08:03 PM   #86
MomofCKJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess&her4princes View Post
This is SO exciting to read about!! You're doing a great job writing about it, I feel like I'm there with you!!!! Thanks for sharing!!
Thanks! I am glad you are here reading along! It is fun to retell it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydog View Post
HOw inspirational! I love the story and the anticipation! WAY cool! Can't wait to hear more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
You are doing a great job of inspiring me to try it. If ANY place could inspire me to run it would be WDW. But waking at 2:45am?! Although I suppose the feeling of accomplishment is worth it. And to do it with DH and best friends? Well that would be AWESOME!

I'm also interested to know what else is on your mutual list and what feat is next for you four!

Very wise of your friends to leave the Disney portion to you. I also wonder when the TSM mania will die down? It is awfully fun, though. And way to go beating Grumpy!

Chocolate covered banana is your Disney snack of choice, huh? I've never even noticed them in WDW. Will have to check them out next time.

Love your tattoo. Is it terribly inappropriate to ask where it is on your body? I've always wanted a tattoo but worry about sagging, stretch marks or professional occasions where I don't want a tattoo to be visible. Did it hurt a lot to get?

3 weeks and 3 days your ticker says til your trip. I'm so excited for you!!

On the taxi vs. Mears bus. Tough call. I totally agree with not navigating it yourself. I did a quick google and it looks like Mears is $16 each round trip so $32. A taxi is, according to this post I found, ~$30-50 each way. Depends on your budget, of course, and I am a but I always prefer things that are at my beck and call and work on my schedule. And I like helping Belle get over her taxi fear.

Let us know what you decide.
The Chocolate Covered Bananas are at any Ice Cream Cart. They are not terribly unique just a, well, chocolate covered banana but I do love them and I only eat the at Disney which makes them more special! I'll fill you in on the Taxi/Shuttle saga in my next post!

And my tattoo is on sort of my hip in the back, above my butt, does that make sense? LOL! It is just under the waistband of jeans. If I am wearing jeans, shorts, whatever you can't see it unless I just pull the waistband down and there it is. I wanted something that was not visible unless I chose to show it. I absolutely love it, even more as time goes on. I am a wimp, I'll say that right now. And I thought it would be hellacious. It was not. I didn't cry, I did get really hot and sweaty! It took just under 10 minutes since it is small. And when it started to feel bad she seemed to always lift it up and take a break so I was able to make it. People with big honkin' tattoos, I don't know how they do it. I couldn't. I would however get another. She described it well before she did it. Imagine an electric razor with a ball point pen attached and the pen going in and out quickly on your skin. It was a good comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Wow! What a neat window into the marathon experience!!! I can't wait to read more about it!
Coming right up!

Allyson
Old 08-02-2009, 08:24 PM   #87
MomofCKJ

We had to go up the Contemporary Hill and I said to Snow, I have to keep running or I'll stop and die for sure. So on we went. I was so proud of myself, hills are not my thing. Then we wound around and into the backstage area and as we were getting ready to come out onto Main Street Snow said "This is what you have been waiting for!", and she was right.

We came onto Main Street and it was line with CMs and Guests cheering us on. It was the most amazing feeling. Having an early morning ADR and getting Main Street to yourself is cool but it has nothing on running down Main Street being cheered on by people. Nothing.

This was what I had waited for, trained for. To run towards the Castle. It was such a cool moment. I knew going into this that we would stop for characters, and we did!

We waited the longest for Mickey and friends, probably 3-4 minutes, the others were faster. As we ran through the Castle and came out there was a professional photog there that took our picture and I saw it online but did not purchase. And as we came out of the Castle there were people just cheering and encouraging you on.

We went past Splash and through a backstage area and the Black Pearl was there with Capt Jack and friends, we didn't stop though for a picture there. We continued on and ended up on a road going past the GF.

Then we ran down the highway and I'll admit this is where it got tough. There weren't many distractions, it was just highway and it was getting hard. There was an overpass as we neared Epcot and a WISHer was standing up there with Mickey hands on, his name is Matt, and he was cheering people on. That was a great boost! We continued on and I knew we were close but yet it seemed so far. It was hot. I was tired and my legs were starting to hurt. We pushed on. We'd stop to walk and Snow would say, "Okay at the next sign we run" and she was great.

Finally we got to Epcot! As we were entering Epcot at a walk Snow said "Let's run the rest" and I said "I can't". Someone behind me said "Yes you can!" and while I admired and appreciated her vote of confidence, I couldn't. LOL! We walked a bit more then ran.

Around the loop, we are so almost there!

The song during my training that I had visualized finishing to was "Time of My LIfe" by David Cook. As we ran through Epcot I got it on my iPod and it was just the culmination of a year of hard work. To hear that song, the lyrics, to be finishing a half marathon in my happy place, well it was too much. As I crossed the finish line I was crying happy tears!

My official time was 2:54 and something seconds. I was happy with that. We had stopped and seen the characters and I had still finished in a time that I was happy with. We got our medals and our blankets.

We grabbed some snacks and headed out to the large parking lot area to find the boys. We found them, they had only finished 5 minutes before us and had not stopped for any character shots. They ran the first 9 miles without stopping, a huge feat for Grumpy, and then he had hurt his leg so the last couple of miles were painful and slow.

We hung out a bit, called friends (my dear friend saved my message and played it for me recently, I almost cried, I sound so happy!) and then caught a bus to the YC with a bunch of other smelly folk. SAB was calling our name!

Allyson
Old 08-02-2009, 08:38 PM   #88
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Oh, Allyson, I was all misty-eyed while I was reading this update! You ROCK! I am also super jealous of your very cool character pics in the Magic Kingdom! What an experience!
Old 08-02-2009, 08:53 PM   #89
MomofCKJ

For our current trip we are three weeks away! Three weeks! 21 days! In the month! It is coming soon! Oh my goodness!

I am very excited and I feel very blessed to be able to take this trip with Belle. Yesterday was her 12th birthday. We just gave her a card with an iTunes gift card and I took her and a friend for manicures and lunch. I told her that her real gift comes in 3 weeks when we go to Disney and Discovery Cove, she is getting very excited as well. I am so looking forward to this adventure with her. I need this adventure with her. She is 12, 12! She is starting Junior High. Time is ticking away. I am one of those mothers who when she was little couldn't wait for the next stage, the next milestone and now she is 12 and I am wondering where time went? I want to savor this upcoming week, enjoy every moment, be silly with her while she'll still let me, create memories with her that we'll both never forget.

On the taxi/shuttle dilemma much to Belle's dismay I think I've decided the taxi is worth the splurge. Using a Mears Taxi Calculator I came out with like a $25 each way taxi fare that when you add in the tip each way will only be like $10-$15 more than a shared shuttle. And like you Christine, I have a little Princess in me and I just don't want to be stuck on some shuttle wasting valuable time. And it will help Belle get over her fear of taxis.

She's been doing some creative projects for our trip, I'll have to share them in the next post.

What I need to do is:

1. Gather small bills for tips
2. Find water shoes for us for Discovery Cove, I've been reading that parts of it can be rocky and water shoes were recommended
3. Make us a set of matching shirts, Belle agreed to one set

I caught the sale at Old Navy today (broke my self imposed boycott of them, that is a whole other story) and got a few tops for myself for the trip. Other than that I really need nothing for this trip and neither does Belle. We are pretty much good to go.

I do need to make sure my kids are set for school as it starts Monday and we come home Saturday night. I really don't want that Sunday to be crazy running around day.

I went online to Jet Blue today, our flights have never dropped in price, just gotton higher, so no credits for us this trip. I debated splurging for the Extra Leg Room seats (I loved them on our January trip) but at $25 a piece I decided against it. Belle and I aren't that tall that we need it and I could save the money to put towards her ticket. She just has a one day when we check in, I need to make that a 4 day.

21 days, folks, 21 days!!!!!!!

Allyson

PS, any of my small pool of readers on Facebook? I'm a FB addict and would love to add you if you are!

PPS lurkers, come out, I know you are there!
Old 08-02-2009, 09:07 PM   #90
princess&her4princes
DIS Veteran

WOW....I have chills just from reading about the end of your race!!!! I'm so impressed and so proud of you!!! Thanks for sharing and great time!!! Do you plan to do it again?

Happy birthday to Belle!!! I hear you on time going by too fast....my oldest will be 7 this Fall and going into 1st grade.....I Just can't believe that he's that old already....time is going by so quickly and on a daily basis, it's easy to just wish the time would speed up. I hope you have such a wonderful experience with her on this trip, I'm sure you will both cherish that time.

Btw, I'm on FB! LOVE IT, almost as much as DIS!! Will send you my name PM....be on the lookout!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: