Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2009, 03:04 PM   #16
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

I LOVE the idea of special one on one time with mom. What lucky kids you have! Hmmm... maybe I'll implement that retroactively with my mom.

You're right. Coming all the way from MA you might as well make it worth your while. And you DO have a pin code!

Oh, Grumpy...don't you roll your eyes at us

I would adore some pics from your half marathon trip. I'm trying to get in better shape and one of my motivators is possibly walking/running in a WDW race so am really anxious to hear more about it!

Old 06-21-2009, 06:09 AM   #17
Becky521
DIS Veteran

Hey, Allyson I don't know MA at all so you may not know what I am talking about. Kalyn just arrived at Williams College this week as a wardrobe intern for Williamstown Theater Festival. When you mentioned being from MA (I had forgotten) I thought "Oh, someone else to brag to!!""

OK, back to your show.....
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-21-2009, 06:56 PM   #18
ILuvCrush
DIS Veteran

yay mommy and me time!! I made the same promise to my kids...but they had to be 13!! kyle didn't want to do ANYTHING... silly boy. Ellie will be 13 in 2011... so that's her big trip. tentitively adventures by disney to Paris I'm so glad she's a diva...I can hardly wait to take her

It's wonderful that you get to do 'little' things every so often in the mean time with one or the other they sound like so much fun!!

paula
Old 06-21-2009, 09:53 PM   #19
MomofCKJ
I just lost steam at about 5 minutes
Wants to really smell the roses
I will not eat the second end of the hot dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
I really like the special trip for each of their 12th birthdays!!! I am anxious to see how many days you decided on, and where else you might be headed!
I'll let you know soon! I'm actually quite excited about it myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess&her4princes View Post
Hi!! I'm joining in, too! Followed you over from my PTR-- looks like we're going about the same time and doing Mother/daughter trips!!! What a great idea you have for your kids!! Hmm...makes my wheels spin a bit...anything for another excuse to go to Disney!! Can't wait to hear more, so I'm subbing!!!
Anything for another trip to the Mouse right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
I LOVE the idea of special one on one time with mom. What lucky kids you have! Hmmm... maybe I'll implement that retroactively with my mom.

You're right. Coming all the way from MA you might as well make it worth your while. And you DO have a pin code!

Oh, Grumpy...don't you roll your eyes at us

I would adore some pics from your half marathon trip. I'm trying to get in better shape and one of my motivators is possibly walking/running in a WDW race so am really anxious to hear more about it!
I'll throw some up soon. It is an amazing race to do, especially for your first big race. I will never ever forget it. At the end I really felt like I could do anything! I ran/walked it as well. I used a John Bingham Run/Walk training program that I liked a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky521 View Post
Hey, Allyson I don't know MA at all so you may not know what I am talking about. Kalyn just arrived at Williams College this week as a wardrobe intern for Williamstown Theater Festival. When you mentioned being from MA (I had forgotten) I thought "Oh, someone else to brag to!!""

OK, back to your show.....
That is great! I think Williamstown is out in the Berkshires right? We vacationed out that way once and it sounds familiar though I have not been. We are several hours away. That is awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvCrush View Post
yay mommy and me time!! I made the same promise to my kids...but they had to be 13!! kyle didn't want to do ANYTHING... silly boy. Ellie will be 13 in 2011... so that's her big trip. tentitively adventures by disney to Paris I'm so glad she's a diva...I can hardly wait to take her

It's wonderful that you get to do 'little' things every so often in the mean time with one or the other they sound like so much fun!!

paula
Oooh la la! Paris sounds great! I offered no option, just Disney or bust! LOL! I think it is a special thing you can do with your kids. What is up with your son? He didn't want to go at all? Silly boy is right!

Allyson
Old 06-21-2009, 10:12 PM   #20
MomofCKJ

Where and when?

So it was actually the night before Grumpy and I left on our January trip (4 days in Disney for the Half Marathon, 4 days in Sandals Bahamas) when the email from Disney Destinations arrived. I don't know about you but when I see an email from them I think my heart skips a beat.

I opened it up and guess what it was? The 40% PIN code I had been reading about! Yes for me! Wooo Hoooo!

We went on our trip and when we got home and got settled I got down to business. Where to stay? I had visions of a deluxe, AKL to be exact. I thought it was a place Belle would like and would be something new for us. I got quotes from my favorite TA Jessica for AKL using my PIN as well as Pop Century. I really, truly enjoy Pop. I am familiar with it, I like the food court and gift shop, I like the way it is set up, I have had luck with the busses. I like the slushies in the refillable mugs and hearing groovy music as I walk to and fro.

Here was the deal however. Belle had one request. One very special, something she has always wanted to do, something that would be very cool, but alas quite expensive request. She wanted to spend a day at Discovery Cove and swim with dolphins. I thought this would be a pretty amazing experience for her. Then I priced it out at the website.

So I had to play a little Let's Make a Deal with her. Do you take Door Number One: A stay at AKL with no Discovery Cove or Door Number Two: A stay at Pop Century with Discovery Cove. As much as she wanted AKL with Discovery Cove there is no fuzzy Disney math that was going to make that work for me. She thought for a short time and the desire to swim with the dolphin trumped the desire to go Deluxe.

So Pop Century won out as did a day at Discovery Cove, gulp. It is a lot of money but all I have read points to the fact that it should go down as a day we will never ever forget. I have read nothing but glowing reports about the service, the facility, the experience, all of it. The good news is they have a special right now if you book 45 days out for $50 off per person so that will help a smidge. I need to book in the next couple weeks, just waiting on a check that should be arriving soon that will cover 75% of it.

So Pop Century again. We requested the 70s or 80s section. I stayed in the 50s on my solo trip and just felt so far away. We were in the 70s for our family trip and liked it. Whatever we get I am sure will be fine. Really it is just a spot for us to sleep, take an afternoon nap and store our stuff.

I emailed Jessica to book it and therefore had to come up with dates. Well since we were now doing Discovery Cove that was a day to itself. And it comes with a ticket to Sea World so we shouldn't let that go to waste right? So there are 2 days right there. How could we possibly not hit all 4 Disney parks? I don't know how that would be possible. I mean we have something we love at each, be it Splash or Everest or Soarin' or ToT. How could we have a trip and miss one of those? How does one fit all that in a long weekend? Impossible.

And we have the PIN so the room is some insane amount like $49 a night or something like that. Really, that is like the price of a cheesy/scary motel around here and for an onsite Disney property? At that price of course we can tack on a few extra nights right?

August 23-29 is what we landed on. Arriving on a Sunday and departing on a Saturday. I had checked with the school months ago and was told the first day of classes would be Sept 2 so this would be fine. I would learn months later that the first day was changed to August 31 so PHEW we just made it!

So there you have it: August 23-29 at Pop and a day at Discovery Cove and a day at SeaWorld thrown in the mix as well. Did I mention I won 7 day Universal passes during the Super Bowl commercial contest???

Coming up: Universal too? And what about Tickets? Food? Transportation?
Old 06-22-2009, 05:07 AM   #21
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

Sounds fantastic! I am especially excited to hear about Discovery Cove! This is going to be such a special trip and very unique.

Oh- I don't want to be the bearer of bad news or misinformation but I *think* I read that they removed the slushie machines from Pop...

Old 06-22-2009, 05:09 AM   #22
ILuvCrush
DIS Veteran

wow!! what a great plan! I hope that DC is all that I've read it was...it sounds amazing!!

P
Old 06-22-2009, 06:27 AM   #23
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Discovery Cove is going to be such a neat experience!!! Not to mention, it will make for great photos for your trip report!

Seven days at Pop will be lots of fun! We love it there, too!
Old 06-23-2009, 09:22 PM   #24
MomofCKJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
Sounds fantastic! I am especially excited to hear about Discovery Cove! This is going to be such a special trip and very unique.

Oh- I don't want to be the bearer of bad news or misinformation but I *think* I read that they removed the slushie machines from Pop...
Say it isn't so! No slushies! Bummer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvCrush View Post
wow!! what a great plan! I hope that DC is all that I've read it was...it sounds amazing!!

P
I hope it is too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Discovery Cove is going to be such a neat experience!!! Not to mention, it will make for great photos for your trip report!

Seven days at Pop will be lots of fun! We love it there, too!
It sounds great, DC, and I am excited about doing something that is completely new to both of us.

Allyson
Old 06-23-2009, 09:37 PM   #25
MomofCKJ

So we are at Pop Century on a PIN Code and staying for 6 nights/7 days. We are doing one day at Discovery Cove and one at Sea World. We do plan to hit all four Disney parks.

Now I did actually win during the Universal Super Bowl contest and have a coupon to turn in for a 7 day Universal pass. I thought all about how to make this work. Could we do a day or two at Universal and condense our Disney time? It is a place I have not been in years and Belle has never been. I think she might like it. There was the problem of the Front of the Line thing. I would want to have that and you need to stay at a Universal hotel to have access. Well that would mean a hotel change, their hotels are expensive for just one night, do you see where this is going? There was no way a Universal visit was going to fit in here. No way. But that is okay. If we'd had more time it would have been nice but we'll just have to try it some other time in the future. Might be nice to wait and go once the Harry Potter section is opened anyhow.

So Ixnay on the Universalay. Since we were planning on hitting the 4 Disney parks we needed tickets right? Well I still have 3 days left on my No Expiration ticket from my solo trip. I used 5 then, 2 in January with Grumpy and still have 3 days left. So I only need to add a day. For Belle we'll get a 4 day hopper. So I felt like I was saving money since I already had 3 days worth of tickets for one of us. Disney math!

So hotel, check.
Tickets, check.
Discovery Cove reservation, no check but I am booking it, no worries.

How to get there? Well has to be fly, I am not driving down from MA and I'm cerrtainly not driving alone. Again, Disney math comes in to play. When Grumpy and I flew in January we were on Jet Blue. Our flights ended up changing a few times and along the way we accumulated $250 in credits from our flight dropping in price. So I had that to put towards tickets for us. Felt like almost one flight was free! Prices were high and stayed high for our dates. I did book on Jet Blue (fell in love with them in January, how can you not love the TVs, good snacks and chillin' flight attendants?) at like $298 per person. YOUCH! But remember with a $250credit that brought it way down. We got non stop flights. We will get to Orlando around lunch time on the way down and coming home we'll leave Orlando mid afternoon. Pretty good!

Now we had to decide Dining Plan or no Dining Plan. And while we were deciding there was that little rumer called "Free Dining" that was floating around. Would it be offered? Would our dates be included? Would our amazing TA be able to get it for us if it were to be offered? So much suspense!

Food requires it's own post, we all know that. So I'll leave it at this. Besides I am exhausted! Grumpy and I worked at Field Day for the kids today and it was indoors thanks to the disgustingly poor weather we have had this month (field was just too saturated to use). I am SO tired. Anyway, I digress....next up will be the Dining Plan/On our own/Free Dining question!

Allyson
Old 06-24-2009, 04:52 AM   #26
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

I googled and it looks like "no slushies" was confirmed- at least at one point.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2191508

Your plans look great. HAVE to hit all four parks, clearly. I agree with waiting on Universal for Harry Potter... won't that be fun??

Dining definitely deserves its own post! I forget, is Belle a big eater? Looking forward to hearing your plans!

PS- hasn't the New England weather been terrible? I am so ready for some real summer weather. Cross your fingers - sounds like maybe this weekend!

Old 06-24-2009, 06:18 AM   #27
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

We're holding out for the new Harry Potter park as well!
Old 06-24-2009, 07:22 AM   #28
MomofCKJ

CP, what ever happened to that other trippie. She was a teacher in NY, was going with her nephews, she had a great pre trippie and then she got back and we never seemed to hear from her again. You must know who I mean, you seemed quite friendly with her? I always wondered how the trip was and what happened to her? Do you know?

Allyson
Old 06-24-2009, 07:30 AM   #29
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofCKJ View Post
CP, what ever happened to that other trippie. She was a teacher in NY, was going with her nephews, she had a great pre trippie and then she got back and we never seemed to hear from her again. You must know who I mean, you seemed quite friendly with her? I always wondered how the trip was and what happened to her? Do you know?

Allyson
NativeNYer -- yes, she was such fun, but once she was back from her trip, she just kind of dropped out of sight!
Old 06-26-2009, 08:27 AM   #30
MomofCKJ

So food. Isn't that what we all care about so much on a Disney trip?

At the time I booked I had my PIN code and there was no official announcement on Free Dining for my dates....yet. But the rumors were flying. It was in the window of FD years past, with the economy so bad surely they'd offer again to try and reel people in right?

RIGHT! The announcement came, our dates were included. Now what? Disney math time. Belle and I sat at the counter with the laptop and went over menus. We picked the places we'd like to go and what we'd order if we went. Adding, adding, calculating, calculating. Would FD be a better deal than my PIN? Belle is going to be 12 on this trip so she is an adult in Disney's eyes. She does have a penchant for steak and higher end desserts. Hmmmm, what's the verdict?

The verdict is Free Dining does in fact save us dollars over using the PIN and paying OOP for food. And I have always loved having the bulk of the food prepaid anyway. I think it is a nice little feature to not have to worry about once you are there. Jessica was able to move us to the Free Dining package and voila! we were all set!

But now where to go? Where to eat? What to have? ADRs would be important during Free Dining time, not the time to try and wing it. Our ADR date was Memorial Day. Should I get up early and call myself? Ask Jessica to do it? So many decisions. I went with Jessica. All of my kids were in the small town Memorial Day parade so our morning was going to be busy as it was getting them ready and to where they needed to be. Sitting on the phone at 7am for an unknown length of time was not on the agenda. So I emailed Jessica and she went to bat for me.

What did we want? What did we get? What do you think? I'll tell you this, Belle wanted California Grill for her birthday dinner. And guess what?

Allyson

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: