Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2009, 10:59 AM   #136
MomofCKJ
I just lost steam at about 5 minutes
Wants to really smell the roses
I will not eat the second end of the hot dog

Day One, Part Two

So we got on our bus to Epcot excited to hit a park! We had ponchos in our bag because it was looking a little foreboding out there.

When we first arrived at Epcot what did we see? Brazilian Tour Groups. About a zillion girls in matching shirts. They were all taking group shots in front of the Golf Ball. Eeeek! We manuevered our way through and headed towards Soarin'. We hoped to get FP for them but it was now close to 3pm and I wasn't sure how lucky we would be. Well by the time we got there it was 3:06pm and we pulled FP for 7:42pm. So that was good!

We moseyed over to ride Nemo. Belle loves this ride. It is cute, I like it too. No line, just walked through the veeeerrrryyyyy long queue. I can't imagine if that queue was ever full? It would take you forever to get through? I think I've always walked on this ride.

After we went to check out the manatees. Bashful had requested pictures so we obliged, though they did not come out so hot. Looks more like a blob with some lettuce floating around.

And in honor of Bashful's love of the hermit crab we got a pic of this little guy for her:

And this dangerous guy, Grumpy saw one while scuba diving in the Bahamas earlier this year!

We also got to watch the dolphins who were quite active and playful at the time. It made us very excited for the next day's events (Discovery Cove!).

We "chased the white rabbit" (our family Disney term for using the restroom, back on our first trip when we were at a breakfast and Alice disappeared the waitress told us she was chasing the white rabbit and would be back soon, we had our own theory!) and decided that the only way we'd probably get to ride Test Track would be Single Rider. We didn't want to wait in the Standby Line (even though it was only 30 minutes I think) and we didn't think we'd get a FP by the time our window opened. So Single Rider it was. It was posted as 10 minutes and that was about right.

I got put in a car about 2 ahead of Belle. I was in the front with a boy and his Mom, they were very nice! The ride was fun, I still always scream at the truck. The suprise this time was that when we exited to do the loop outside it was as if we entered the car wash. It was POURING rain! Oh my it was just pelting! And all I thought was "Belle is going to hate this!" I was actually a little nervous. It seemed much faster in the rain and I even shut my eyes a bit.

I waited for Belle at the end and she was fine, thought it was cool.:thumbsup
We headed out once we poncho'd up, it was pouring! Pouring sideways if that is possible. Very, very wet and I had flashbacks of last year's trip. We decided to go into Spaceship Earth, another favorite of Belle.

We walked right on and were on our way. We found a Hidden Mickey we had read about, laughed at the girl in the yellow tights, inhaled the smell of Rome burning which is quite reminiscent of a Turkey Leg smell and then cracked up at our video at the end when we were on our Rocket Bikes. We had made ourselves from some tiny island off of Russia and that gave Belle the giggles too. It is the small silly things in life really.

It was still driving rain so we hung out for a short bit. We walked around Innoventions. We had seen the Kim Possible area and didn't know if we wanted to try. Finally Belle said we might as well so we got our ticket. We were to go to Norway. Ponchos on we trudged our way. As we got towards Mexico the rain decided it was over and we were very happy with that! We got to the Norway Kim Possible Field Station and the CM was awaiting word that he could reopen. Apparently due to lightening they had shut down for a bit. We waited and the line grew. We were able to see other people who had already been working on the mission go about things in the area. That was what was kind of a bummer. By the time he got word to reopen we had seen several groups doing things in our area so the suprise effect was not there. I don't want to give too much away. I'll just say for us KP was a thumbs down. We did a few of the tasks, like 4 if I remember correctly and then we just gave it back. Belle had lost interest and again seeing so many others doing them in that small area of Norway just took the surpise factor out of it for us.

A little pin trading in Norway and we were on our way:

We headed south of the border

And took one of many really bad self portraits of ourselves

We rode the boat ride and then scooted through Norway to China.

We took this as Grumpy's school trip in March was going to be China and we wanted to show him that we had already seen the soldiers!

His trip has since changed and he'll be going to either Costa Rica or the Galapagos Islands again,they are trying to decide.

Through with China we marched forward on our trek around the World. We stopped to catch part of Miyuki's show already in progress. We saw her make a Chameleon, so amazing. All week long Belle would be repeating "Candy...Carmella...shiny shiny shiny". Her voice, Miyuki, can put you in a trance, I wonder if she gets tired of saying the same things over and over in that hypnotic tone of voice? While in Japan I had to get some candy for the other kids. They all LOVE the chewy fruit candy you can find there. I picked up a few packs in different flavors to bring home and Belle got herself a couple of packs as well.

We were feeling a bit hungry for a snack so we headed towards France. On the way we saw:

And we had to take a quick detour through Morocco. I just love wandering in here and feel it is the country that I most feel like I'm really in when I'm exploring at Epcot:

Then we arrived at the bakery in France but Belle decided it was ice cream that was calling her name. Off to the Crepe Kiosk. Belle chose a swirl ice cream in a waffle cone while I indulged in Strawberry crepes. They. Were. So. Heavenly. Really, one of the most delicious snacks I've had at Disney. We wandered over the bridge to England and found a bench to enjoy them on.

Post Heavenly Crepe High:

Post Ice Cream High:

We still had time before our Soarin' FP so what to do? Well we went over to see Figment but he was closed. So we rode Nemo again. Told you, we love Nemo!

We then went into The Land, plunked at a table and called home to say hello. We worked on our book for a bit. Then our FP time had arrived, finally!
We got in the FP line and it was probably a 10-15 minute wait before we were Soarin'! And Soarin' in the front row I may add. I think I had some Soarin' virgins next to me and what fun to sneak a glance and see the expressions on their face! That's what it is all about!

Ride over and time for the Mickey Mom's Club Partay! Here is where I cue the dismal music. We looked at each other. We were tired, we had traveled, we had to be up early for our big Discovery Cove day tomorrow. We bagged it. Yup. We skipped the party. I am sorry I can't report out to you on it. I would have liked to have stayed but I was tired too. And I know Belle all too well. Pushing pushing pushing it would have resulted in a mess. And I had not spent $$$$ for tomorrow's festivities to have her be a tired cranky girl at DC.

So we went back to Pop, unpacked, hopped into bed and fell asleep very quickly!

Next up Monday August 24 and Discovery Cove!

Allyson
Old 09-10-2009, 01:54 PM   #137
princess&her4princes
DIS Veteran

Great update Allyson! WOW, that rain sounded pretty bad but seems like you made the best of it!! Love the post "crepe/ ice cream" pics, they are really cute ones!!! Sounds like a very full day, I'm with you, I would have skipped the partay too!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-10-2009, 04:05 PM   #138
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

Great update. I can tell from the looks on your faces that it was a wonderful day and trip! I probably would have bagged the party too. Resting up for Discovery Cove was definitely the right choice. Speaking of which, I am so anxious to hear all about it!!!

Old 09-10-2009, 08:22 PM   #139
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Sure sounds like you had a hugely busy day after all, and not pushing it was probably the best idea! Loved all the descriptions, we have never seen "the candy lady" I have to make time for this in the next trips... we saw the crowd around her but never stopped ourselves... CREPES in France BEST SNACK I agree!!!!! Can't wait to hear about discovery cove!!!

Twas the Night BEFORE Christmas 09?!PTR! Ho Ho Ho!Away we go!A WDW Christmas 09 TR! All aboard a WONDERful TR! Boo to YOU! Sept 09 TR
WDW 4th of July 09 PTR!I Want to Ride the Cotton Ball! July 4th 09 TR!Snow, Savannah, & NO School! Feb '10 TR Christmas fix MVMCP 2010 TR
One Family, One Year - a June '10 PTR The Ingredients for Pixie Dust - June '10 TR Disney-Landing Halloween - a Halloween '10 PTR/TR
Dream for two - Feb '11 TRSummer of Sea and Shore - June '11 PTR Strapping Turtles on our Feet! - June/July '11 TR
MY MAGICal Black Friday Thanksgiving Cruise - Nov '11 PTR/TR

Oct 2000 - Disney Magic 7 night cruise * Oct '03 - Contemporary * Oct '05 - WLV * Nov '08 - SSR * June/July '09 - OKW * Sept '09 - CBR * Dec '09 - BCV * Feb '10 - AKL * Feb '10 - Disney Wonder 3 night Cruise/Disney HH * June '10 - BLT/BCV * Oct '10 - Grand Californian * Dec '10 AKV - Kidani * February '11 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/BLT * June '11 - Disney Dream 5 night cruise/Disney's Vero Beach/Ft. Wilderness/AKL Jambo * Oct '11 - WLV/SSR * Nov '11 Disney Magic 7 night cruise * February '12 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/AKL Jambo * June/July '12 - BCV/WLV * Nov '12 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * July '13 AKV - Jambo * Sept '13 - AOA * Oct '13 - F & W SSR * Jan '14 AKV - Kidani * June '14 - BLT * August '14 Aulani * Halloween '14 Disney Wonder 5 night cruise * January '15 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * April '15 Disneyland resort *
Old 09-10-2009, 10:47 PM   #140
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Wonderful update!!!

Eek on the Brazillian Tour Groups! Doesn't sound like you ran into them again that evening.

Rain on Test Track? Double eek! I don't know how I would feel about that!

I understand the thumbs down on the Kim Possible -- it does kind of take the fun out of it if there are a lot of people doing missions in the same area.

Oh, how I want to try strawberry crepes now! Putting them on my list!

Figment was closed??? That surprises me -- although I guess it can malfunction like other rides...

I don't blame you for bailing on the fireworks party -- being tired for Discovery Cove would have been terrible.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:05 PM   #141
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

OMG-Riding Test Track in the Pouring Rain-that just adds a whole element to it...kinda like Test Track meets Kali River Rapids or something like that...

Those crepes in France are pretty tasty...my kids ate about 2 apiece the day we where in Epcot...even the plain sugar ones are really good...

I love Morocco too-I love other countries as well but I think they did a really good job of making you feel like you really were someplace else...the tile, the labyrinths, the fountain...something romantic about it...
Old 09-21-2009, 01:19 PM   #142
MomofCKJ
I just lost steam at about 5 minutes
Wants to really smell the roses
I will not eat the second end of the hot dog

Monday August 24
We woke early to our wake up call. We had a 7:25 shuttle to catch so we got ourselves ready and organized. We were out front by 7:15 and the CM told us the shuttle could be a van or a bus, depending on how many people. There was another group, of British tourists, waiting as well.

Side note: OODLES of British tourists this trip! Belle and I commented on how we felt we were in Harry Potter Land with the accents, we just love them! Many a time we just giggled to each other and said things like "Ron Weasley" or "Hermione Granger" and we also decided to try to bring "I have to go to the loo" into our daily conversation as well. Lovely folks to vacation with, so polite and we just seriously could listen to them talk all day!

So the shuttle arrives and it is a van with one family in it. We get in along with our British pals. And Mears had told me on the phone to plan on 45 minutes to get to Discovery Cove. Well since there were no other stops we were there in like 15! It was perfect. It cost $18 pp/rt. We had arranged to be on the 3:45pm shuttle to go back home. They ran in the afternoon at 1:45, 3:45 and 5:45. That was something I didn't like, how you were at the mercy of their schedule.

So we exited and checked in. Whoa. It felt like we were entering a lush Caribbean resort. Very very nice. Lots of very friendly staff. You really feel the love here. We checked in, were given the first dolphin experience at 8:40am and had our photos taken for our ID cards. They give it to you on a lanyard and it is also used as your ticket to Sea World which is part of your admission price. We would be using that in a few days.

They send you on your way down these paths surrounded by lush greenery. At one point they take your photo for a complimentary picture you get. There are staff along the way directing you to where you need to be. We were told to go enjoy breakfast and after we could go get a locker and our wetsuit or vest.

So we meandered into the breakfast area. All food and drink all day is included. It is very nicely presented. Breakfast was continental and there were fruits, yogurt, cereal and various muffins, breads and pastries. There was coffee and juice and milk. We each got our plate and found a nice seat outside.

After we finished we were taken by a staff member to our area, I think we were SeaHorse, and the lockers are there for you, included as well. We were given a mask and snorkel (you keep the snorkel) and we each chose vests though wetsuits were also available. They also provide you with sunscreen which is safe for the animals. We lotioned up (VERY thick lotion it is) and headed to our assigned cabana area to check in for our dolphin experience. We had to sign waivers and we waited as the room filled up. A short video was shown, very cute and then we were put into groups of 8-10 people. We headed out with our trainer.

We got to the lagoon and the water is COLD! We slowly went out as she talked to us about our dolphin. We would have Nate, a 5 year old. This translates to about an early teenager. She said Nate was very playful and starting to get interested in the girl dolphins but they had no interest in him, sounds pretty typical! LOL!

The trainers are VERY friendly and knowledgable and really make the experience all the better. They wanted to be sure everyone got time to touch, feed, etc. During it all the DC photogs and videographers are right there to film and take pictures of everything.

Nate came over and we were all in a line and he would swim by and we could touch him. During all this the trainer was teaching us facts about the dolphins. It really was informative. We did different hand motions to get him to do some of his tricks. At various times we all had a chance to feed him. We each got to go out for a kiss with him one at a time.

And we got to pose with our families:

We got to go out and do a dance move that would in turn prompt him to, it was cute, someone did the twist, someone else another move.

Then we did the swims. You swim out to the deeper water with one trainer. The other trainer stays with the group and Nate. Then she sends him to you. You hold the fin and then Nate swam back to the group and first trainer with you. It was a really, really cool experience! Not something you do every day!

At the end Nate does some jumps and then all the dolphins (there are like 4 dolphin experiences going on at the same time in different sections of this particular lagoon, do jumps together. All told we were in the water 30-35 minutes I think and it was very, very cool!

Once that was done we went to the photo place to view our pictures. They get you here because you are in the moment, it is such a special thing and you are in sucker mode. So yes I bought a package, not the most expensive, but did get a bunch of pictures and the disc with all the pictures. I spent $150 I think. Youch but it reall was a special day.

We decided to go check out the lazy river. This was much warmer. What a nice lazy river! It went from very shallow, like up to your thighs, to quite deep, over 8 ft I think. There were places were it was smooth rock bottom to sandy bottom. There was a cave to go through, multiple waterfalls along the way and just lush, lush scenery. At times we had no one in front of us and no one behind us. You could get out and visit the aviary as well if you wanted and there were parts of the river where you could see birds. All along the way were lifeguards who I will say some seemed like they had no interest in being there. You could swim or they had many noodles around if you just wanted to float. It took a while to get all the way around, it is quite long.

We had left our shoes and bags for our snorkel/mask on a pair of lounge chairs. There are lots of lounge chairs.

Side Note: The fact that they limit admission here is wonderful! Never did we feel crowded or rushed or anything like that. It is truly relaxing!

We had both brought water shoes after reading that some parts of the lazy river or snorkeling areas were rough or rocky. There were some rocky parts but we didn't use the water shoes, we just didn't find them necessary.

We grabbed our snorkels and masks and hit the very large snorkeling reef area. This again was COLD. But amazing. Belle had never snorkeled, I have several times in the Caribbean. This was magical! So many fish! There were some of the HUGEST stingrays I have ever seen down really low at the bottom, I am talking HUGE. We loved floating around and pointing things out to each other. There were these large silver very thin fish that we dubbed Abe Lincoln and we laughed alot when we ran into them. It was a fabulous snorkeling experience! We did use the underwater camera but in true ME fashion I have yet to develope them yet!

Stock photo that came with my disc:

We decided at this point to grab some lunch so we headed up!

I'll be back with more, there is a lot on this day and lots more pics too!

Allyson
Old 09-21-2009, 02:39 PM   #143
cuppycake
Official Disney Nut

Oh Allyson. I don't know if it's because I'm a total sap or what, but I just can't help but hear the underlying theme of comradery that you and your daughter had for this trip! It brings tears to my eyes (told you, I'm a sap).

This sounds like such a special day in the middle of a very special trip, and I think that because of what I'm hearing here, I want to plan some sort of wonderful mommy and me trip for my girls when they are that age as well! What a super way to connect to your little girl

Your updates are amazing....I always feel like i'm right there with you!! Thanks soooooo much for sharing. I can't wait to hear more

Lovers of WDW....lucky enough to visit every 1-2 years since our girls have been around....usually staying at Pop Century

DLP Nov 2012
Old 09-21-2009, 05:14 PM   #144
princess&her4princes
DIS Veteran

GREAT update Allyson, I love all the pics you took!!! Especially of the one of Belle kissing Nate, soo cute! What a magical experience this was...something to keep in mind in the future for sure for me and my boys!!! First I have to teach them all to swim though!! LOL!!

Can't wait to hear more!!!
Old 09-21-2009, 09:44 PM   #145
askelton
Disney Cosmo

I'm so glad you had a good time. It really is an amazing and beautiful day.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:17 AM   #146
dizneyfreak
Addicted to the magic! And the mouse!

Subscribing...I found and read your entire report from start to where you are now. I happened to catch the mother/daughter trip title and just had to read on. You see, I am 28 and my Momma is 57 and we are oh so very close...almost like sisters more than mom and daughter. We had some rough times growing up, but I assure you that it gets so much better after the teen years when you realize how smart your parents really were!
My Momma and I have been on two trips to the world just us, and besides my wedding at the Wedding Pavilion, they were two of the best trips to the world I have ever been on. I love reading your report because it brings all of those lovie feelings back. I can't wait to hear the rest. Thank you for sharing and making me smile.

Anna Marie
Old 09-22-2009, 05:36 AM   #147
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

Wow!!! How cool. This is definitely going on my someday to-do list.

I would have been 'convinced' to purchase the photo package too. How could you not? The pics are amazing. Nate is too cute!

Looking forward to more!

Old 09-22-2009, 05:51 AM   #148
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Wow, Allyson! What a great experience!!! That picture of Belle kissing Nate is the cutest thing I have ever seen!
Old 09-22-2009, 05:55 AM   #149
Gabrielsbigtrip
Mouseketeer

I was hoping DC meant Discovery Cove!

We just went as well. Wasn't it so great?! Yes, I got suckered into the picutres AND the video I had to do it

I will have to catch up on the the other updates now

May 2007 ~ WL
May 2008 ~ SSR/CSR
September 2009 ~ POP

My Very 1st Pre Trip Report

Curse YOU indoor plumbing!! ~ Sept 2009 Trip Report ~
Old 09-23-2009, 09:32 PM   #150
Happydog
DIS Veteran

SO amazing!! What a neat experience and really right up close like that!! I love all the other features at the Cove, I can't wait to see more... it does sound like a fabulous day... I did giggle though about those water shoes...

So we have whale Rider and we have Dolphin swimmer!!

EXCELLENT!

Twas the Night BEFORE Christmas 09?!PTR! Ho Ho Ho!Away we go!A WDW Christmas 09 TR! All aboard a WONDERful TR! Boo to YOU! Sept 09 TR
WDW 4th of July 09 PTR!I Want to Ride the Cotton Ball! July 4th 09 TR!Snow, Savannah, & NO School! Feb '10 TR Christmas fix MVMCP 2010 TR
One Family, One Year - a June '10 PTR The Ingredients for Pixie Dust - June '10 TR Disney-Landing Halloween - a Halloween '10 PTR/TR
Dream for two - Feb '11 TRSummer of Sea and Shore - June '11 PTR Strapping Turtles on our Feet! - June/July '11 TR
MY MAGICal Black Friday Thanksgiving Cruise - Nov '11 PTR/TR

Oct 2000 - Disney Magic 7 night cruise * Oct '03 - Contemporary * Oct '05 - WLV * Nov '08 - SSR * June/July '09 - OKW * Sept '09 - CBR * Dec '09 - BCV * Feb '10 - AKL * Feb '10 - Disney Wonder 3 night Cruise/Disney HH * June '10 - BLT/BCV * Oct '10 - Grand Californian * Dec '10 AKV - Kidani * February '11 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/BLT * June '11 - Disney Dream 5 night cruise/Disney's Vero Beach/Ft. Wilderness/AKL Jambo * Oct '11 - WLV/SSR * Nov '11 Disney Magic 7 night cruise * February '12 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/AKL Jambo * June/July '12 - BCV/WLV * Nov '12 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * July '13 AKV - Jambo * Sept '13 - AOA * Oct '13 - F & W SSR * Jan '14 AKV - Kidani * June '14 - BLT * August '14 Aulani * Halloween '14 Disney Wonder 5 night cruise * January '15 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * April '15 Disneyland resort *

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: