Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2009, 09:35 AM   #1
wifey
DIS Veteran

Rhino's Wonderful World of Food(with pics) Updated 26th Sept !!!!!

Hi there everyone,

I'm lucky enough to be going to WDW this September with my people they said my little paws are too small to walk all the way and my ball's in the shop so they will be taking me on a big plane AWESOME
So why are they going you may be thinking, well it seems they are doing something called a "wedding anniversary", I head mention of 16 years wow amazing or what So you'll be wanting to know who they are I guess well here you go this is the Friel family Yvonne Niel and Ethan the younger one.

The boy has grown since he was last at WDW so he wants to try some new things on this trip. The other two have been carefully planning where to go and where to dine which is fine with me. I'm hoping to meet up with some buddies like Mike and Sully, Nemo and Dory, Woody and Buzz any of the Incredibles and you never know who else I may bump into They have plans for a "Dis-meet" At the Tambu lounge on the 22nd and they have promised that there's gonna be a MNSSHP that night too totally cool of them.
They have the following on their list of restaurants :-

Yak and Yeti 15 September(new 2 us)

Whispering Canyon Cafe 16 September

50's Prime Time 18 September

Teppan Edo 19 September(new 2 us)

Planet Hollywood 20 September

Kona Cafe 22 September(new 2 us)

Sci-Fi Dine In 23 September

Yachtsman's Steakhouse 24 September(new 2 us)

Final ADRS will be organised by the 20th June or so I hear and I hope they get all the times and locations they want. I'm gonna make sure they take photos too if Remy can get into into a restaurant I can and he's a rat not a cute fluffy hamster. I'll get my people to post the details once they have rang and organised them all they don't seem too worried about the whole thing. Oh I should say we will be staying at POFQ so you may bump into them from time to time. I'm so excited about it my squeek is wearing out.

Food Report 2009 http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2204927

Trip Report 2009 http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2286975

Trip Report 2007 http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1508500[img]

June 1998 Comfort Inn LBV, November 2000 AS Music Jazz 2510, September 2002 SpringHill Suites MV, February 2004 AS Movies Purdey 4960, June 2005 Comfort Inn LBV, November 2005 Sequoia Lodge DLRP Last trip 21st June 2007 AS Movies,September 2009 First time at Port Orleans French Quarter,Next trip Yacht club (club level)August 2013
Me DH NielDS Ethan

Last edited by wifey; 09-26-2009 at 10:01 PM.
wifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
MickeyNicki
It is pretty darn sad when a valet picks you out as a big Boma eater

Sounds great, count me in...we just stayed at the POFQ and loved it, great resort and nice and quiet too....make sure you get a drink from Mardi Grogs pool bar and try to get the taco salad from the CS...it is awesome!
MickeyNicki is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-17-2009, 03:12 AM   #3
wifey
DIS Veteran

Wink

Hi Nicki we just finished reading your latest trip report and food review it was awesome and Rhino agrees with us I'm so sorry those children at FF were so rotten and the parents well it's a good job you are calm and a totally focused on enjoying your holidays. I don't think we could have stood for it I thought the kids clubs were there for parents who wanted a quiet dignified and well mannered meal somewhere as lovely as that give Todd a big hi from us too
I'm going to try to get my DH and DS to re-connect with their Italian roots via some good Italian food if at all possible. I'm not sure if I will succeed but it's worth a go he doesn't eat cheese it's a texture and aroma thing but I still love him to bits
Anyway thanks for joining us and I hope we can make you laugh along the way.

June 1998 Comfort Inn LBV, November 2000 AS Music Jazz 2510, September 2002 SpringHill Suites MV, February 2004 AS Movies Purdey 4960, June 2005 Comfort Inn LBV, November 2005 Sequoia Lodge DLRP Last trip 21st June 2007 AS Movies,September 2009 First time at Port Orleans French Quarter,Next trip Yacht club (club level)August 2013
Me DH NielDS Ethan
Old 06-20-2009, 07:49 AM   #4
wifey
DIS Veteran

Rhino here again!

Hi everybody

Me again ... I'm back I've been watching Wifey do the ADRs thing on the phone amazing stuff. She got all her planning stuff out and located the US number and made the call all the while checking the schedule for dates locations and times then took down all the details given to her by a lovely CM. She very carefully added to her plan the times and reservation number of each one. So new they are finally done with the meal plans. It was very quick, they have:-
Chef Mickey's character breakfast ( an old favourite)
The Plaza dinner (new 2 them)
Garden Grill dinner (another favourite but a different time)
and
O'hana character breakfast (new 2 them) the boy thinks Stitch is hilarious
So that's the plan I can't wait to get in these places and jump into a few photos and try the food Any tips??

Me DH NielDS Ethan

Last edited by wifey; 09-16-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:51 PM   #5
wifey
DIS Veteran

Hi guys I'm back

We'll the family have the last of their ADRs sorted out now they just need to sort out a few bits still like the train tickets and such. It's Niel's birthday today and he's at work BOOO but he'll be out and about. Wifey is going to attempt to catch some rays of sunshine this week the weather here has been just awful either raining or blazing hot then showers all day but the forecast today is promising. She's been losing weight too and has had to buy some better fitting clothing.They don't have a garden but do get to share a lovely park just over the road so it kind of makes up for it.
Oh did I forget to tell you Ethan came fourth in the town schools gymnastics competition The lad is very lean and agile so he did quite well and his parents say keep trying and you'll get better
Niel's waiting for some appointments at the moment, he's had pain in his left hip since March and although he's been prescribed a few tablets it's not helped much it needs further investigation. He kept working as long as he could and had a few weeks off work and off his feet to help rest his legs. He's not broken anything and they ruled out other things like arthritis with x-rays and they checked for infections with blood tests.
Now he's been back at work on reduced hours for a week and a half but he's still in pain. The tablets have some awful side effects Just waiting for that appointment to find out what else he can try to resolve this problem. Wifey has said that if needs be she will get a GAC in WDW for him and rent a wheelchair if it comes to it but hopefully it will not come to that. Despite everything they are still looking forward to the holiday.
They have been discussing what strategies to use in the parks depending on the crowd levels, which rides they absolutely must do this trip they both really want to ride Soarin' in Epcot can you believe they have never managed to get on it yet?! Oh and Midway Mania is another must do along with Rock"n" Rollercoaster and possibly TOT in DHS it's a shame that Space Mountain will still be closed Ethan would have loved it. There will be plenty to do though. I can't wait to get there I don't know how they will get me in and out of the parks yet maybe the boy will carry me around or I'll get a lift in a bag I'll try not to squeek when they do the bag check thing at the gates that Wifey told me about

Me DH NielDS Ethan
Old 06-24-2009, 04:10 PM   #6
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

count me in

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:42 PM   #7
wifey
DIS Veteran

Hey there everyone we are here and loving it, so far we have been very pleased with most of our experiences. Monday night we were so tired after the long flight and awful food on the plane, nothing Niel or Ethan could eat at all, we just grabbed a couple of counter service meals from the hotel food court. They were surprisingly good but we were that hungry it got devouerd before we had remembered to take a shot with the camera. Oh dear we promise to do better honest
Now Tuesday we had a reservation at Yak and Yeti we got there for opening and there was a queue.. it was our first time there and our first TS meal on the dining plan. Here's what we ordered, after a run through from our server also called Ethan but wearing the name badge of Jason I guess he left his uniform somewhere , it's the shrimp and streak dish....

OMG it was so good the veggies were lovely and fresh crisp and tasty but cooked perfectly, the rice was very sticky you could slice it but the meat was divine a real pleasure to eat and the flavour just awesome it melted in the mouth and we don't usually eat meat that's pink in any way but we truly loved it, the shrimp were a good size and the tempura batter was light but crispy too a real treat to eat. All of the dish was well complimented by the chilli plum sauce which was taste bud tingling good but not too hot and a little sweet but not at all overpowering. This was then followed by our desserts which were mango pie for Niel and Yvonne ordered the sorbet trio which was a good way to end the meal, the mango pie was creamy but sweet and a good size for a portion and Yvonne's sorbets were very good full of flavour but not too strong and worked well together even the garnishes were fresh here are a couple of photos to tempt your appetites..

Dinner was a rather rushed event at Cookes of Dublin we had fish and chips and the boy had mini sausages and chips but they managed to ruin doughnuts I didn't think they could still get htat wrong these days seriously who puts them in a fish frier ughh just nasty they went in the bin.

Me DH NielDS Ethan
Old 09-16-2009, 09:01 PM   #8
wifey
DIS Veteran

Today we had lunch at Columbia Harbour House it was open at 10:30 am so we had the shrimp platter and fries with an apple crisp and the Anchors Aweigh Sandwich with chips and the boy had chicken tender bites and fries with a yogurt.

(there was supposed to be a chocolate cake but we didn't get it we had eaten plenty by then) all good food and very hot.
Dinner was at Whuispering Canyon Cafe we got over there on time to find lots of folks expecting to get walk-in slots, Yvonne checked in and in no time the staff lead the family over to the table and asked if they were clebrating anything nice and friendly they had a great server named Jennifer she was just lovely. Now on to the food she explained the options on the DDP and they ordered a mega berry smoothie and a mango smoothie great to hit the spot on a hot afternoon and then odered the food. Ethan had his own skillett of chicken and corn and mash but he doesn't eat mashed potatoes so Jennifer arranged for a portion of fries for him TTBH there's not a spare ounce on the kid he doesn't need to watch his weight. Niel and Yvonne shared a skillett too each taking their own choices from the dish after a lovely salad and corn bread had been delivered.
The boy's plate..

The anniverary couple's plate..

All was going well when Jennifer asked what they would like for dessert Ethan asked for cookies they asked for a little more time to think about.. a guy named Curtis called by the table to congratulate them too ( I'm thinking he was a manager type guy you know the look) oh and then they were warned that there was gonna be an announcement made to the restaurant to congratulate them on their anniversary but that they would have to kiss.. oh well ..and they had a surprise lined up for them. So they waited for Jennifer to come back and discussed what to have and agreed on the Kaluha Chocolate cake then out came Jennifer with two glasses of Champagne tehn the announcement was made and then they had to do the dastardly deed Only then did dessert get sorted out two portions of cake to go and that's waht they are having for supper tonight...what a day!!

Me DH NielDS Ethan
Old 09-17-2009, 07:28 AM   #9
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

Look YummY!
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:10 AM   #10
auntfrannie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifey View Post
Dinner was a rather rushed event at Cookes of Dublin we had fish and chips and the boy had mini sausages and chips but they managed to ruin doughnuts I didn't think they could still get htat wrong these days seriously who puts them in a fish frier ughh just nasty they went in the bin.
Seriously? Doughnuts fried in the same oil used to fry fish?? That's just plain gross!
auntfrannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:00 PM   #12
Disneyof3
Mother of my 3 angels, heaven blessed me!!!!!
So it was me who had to take the plunge

Great pictures and can't wait for more. The deep fried shrimp platter at CS is that new?? I have never seen this before on anyone's review and don't remember it being on the menu last time. Also the apple cobbler too. Keep up the reviews and can't wait for more.
WDW12/13
Disneyof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #13
gemmybear83
I would blame it all on Bob
Awww I love the first day
You could stay behind after your meal and have another drink

Great reviews! Looking forward to reading more
Old 09-17-2009, 07:47 PM   #14
TigerKat
HOPE YOUR DAY IS FILLED WITH JOY AND HAPPINESS !!
Blow some of that cool air down here
Warning! Getting a tag is hazardous to my mouse

Signing on!!!!
Old 09-17-2009, 08:29 PM   #15
jeminni
It's 5 o'clock somewhere

After looking at your pictures and reading your review, I have a serious dilemma.

Shrimp or tuna salad at CHH?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: