Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2009, 05:39 PM   #1
elizablake
DIS Veteran

Disney with 4 kids and a dog and we only lost one of them!!

We just got back from our trip to Fort Wilderness and we had a great time. Our last trip was in January with just my DH and DD(4). From the moment we got back I have been plotting another trip but I didn’t think we would get to go so soon! DH put up a little fight but after some persistence, I was able to talk him into cancelling our beach trip for June and going back to Disney instead!

We made some ADRs for character meals and started planning the details of our trip. About a month ago we were talking and DH mentioned that he wished we could bring our nieces and nephew since they had never been. I loved the idea so we took a look at our budget and decided we could swing it. We would not be able to do any extras though (no BBB, character meals or water parks) but we didn’t care.

So we surprised our niece (7), niece (11) and nephew (10) with “tickets” to Disney at my niece’s birthday party.

The youngest two were thrilled but the 11 year old was a little apprehensive. She likes her privacy and quiet time and spends most of her time reading. She was worried about the heat and she gets motion sick on rides. We told her to give it some thought and she called us a week later and said she wanted to go.

Here’s a photo of all the kids. Poor Pluto, such a sport:

The smallest one in the pink shirt is my DD (4). She is spirited, enthusiastic, and energetic. She is quite the drama queen and used to being the center of attention since she is an only child and only grandchild on my side of the family. Her favorite character is Cinderella.

The one in the purple shirt is my DN(7). She is a sweet angel who wears her heart on her sleeve. She is very emotional like her Aunt. We learned that she is quite the dare devil and loved all the thrill rides. Her favorite character is Snow White.

The boy is my DN(10). He is all boy! Rough and rowdy and always up to something. His favorite hobbies are antagonizing his sisters and arguing with his aunt and uncle. He is also one of the smartest kids I have ever met which is why he wins most of our arguments. He is secretly sensitive and does the sweetest things when he thinks no one is looking. He says “characters are for babies” but his cheeks sure were red when he met Belle.

The oldest is my DN(11). She is the perfect child. Always helpful and rarely complains. She is very quiet and prefers peace and quiet over the craziness of the parks. Her favorite character is Goofy.

The 5th child is Scooter:

He’s the love of my life. We got him for my daughter but he favors me over everyone else. He is always by my side. He’s not the sharpest knife in the drawer but very sweet. He prefers any character that resembles a chew toy.

My DH (30) is a hard working, wonderful father who is beginning to like DW but fell in love with the Fort on our first trip. His favorite character is Cinderella’s wicked step-mother.

I’m also 30 and quickly becoming a Disney freak. My favorite character is the one with the shortest line.

We live in Georgia and decided to drive overnight leaving Friday the 5th. My husband works nights so staying awake was not a problem. We planned to leave about 10:00pm so the kids and I would sleep. My DH was going to drive to the rest stop at the Florida state line and wake me up. Then I would drive the rest of the way to DW while DH rested.

The kids were dropped off by there parents about 8:00pm. We ordered pizza and while the kids were tearing into it like wild animals, my DH and I were making sure we had packed everything. Four wildly excited kids-check, duct tape in case they misbehave-check, one fluffy dog-check, an entire RV full of junk food-check. What are we waiting for? So we left early. The kids watched a movie and I drove the RV till we were south of Atlanta and then we switched. I got some trading pins on EBay to give to the kids. They traded their pins with each other for about an hour. Then all the kids and I fell asleep. Since he wasn’t tired, my husband drove all the way to the rest stop right before the Florida turnpike-bless him- so we were only an hour away. He waited till about 5:00 to wake me up. I brewed some coffee and finished the drive, arriving at the Fort at about 6:30. DN(7) woke up at about 6:00 and kept me company. She was so excited when she saw the DW sign. We teared up together.

When we arrived at FW, DN(7) and I went inside to check in. I had been waiting to hear “Welcome home!” since January so I was a disappointed when the CM said “Good Morning”. I got over it when I found out our site was ready and we were in the 1600 loop as requested. We had site 1643. It backed up to the road and was very near the bus stop. Perfect location for us since it was only a short walk to the pool. I drove to the site and made several failed attempts to back in before I woke my poor DH up. My only complaint about the site was the lake surrounding it from the recent rain. The little girls thought it was a moat surrounding their castle. By the end of the week it had dried up but not before about a zillion mosquitoes hatched. We brought bug candles and tons of bug spray but it was still hard to keep them away. I did see the staff at the fort spraying though. Here’s our site complete with a moat:

We plugged in the power, water and cable and my DH went back to sleep. I realized that we could make MK rope drop if we hurried so I made some bagels for the kids and tried to wake them up. DD(4) and DN(10) sprung right out of bed but DN(11) was not waking up so we left her with DH and walked to the bus stop.

We rode the yellow bus to the boat dock and got there about 8:00.

Birds drying their feathers on the beach:

Since the first boat to MK doesn’t come till 8:30 we took the boat to the Contemporary and rode the monorail to MK. The kids were taking it all in.

elizablake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
Skyw
DIS Veteran

great start!!!!
Fort Wilderness Cabins-2004,2007,2007,2009,2010,2011
Skyw is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-15-2009, 06:05 PM   #3
elizablake
DIS Veteran

We got to MK about 8:35. We had enough time to put on sunscreen and finish our bagels before the opening show started. We had gone back and forth about which park was best for our first day. Animal Kingdom had early EHM and Hollywood Studios had Star Wars Weekend. I didn’t want to go to EPCOT without DH since it is his favorite so that left MK. MK was the designated park for Gay Days and I was worried about added crowds. I’m glad we choose MK. Gay Days didn’t seem to affect the crowds even though we saw red shirts everywhere. The park was less crowded that day than the other days later in the week.

Here’s DN(7) watching the opening show:

10..9..8..7..6..5..4..3..2..1..Yeah!

First we got FPs for Buzz Lightyear then we decided to ride Astro Orbiter (well actually, I decided two weeks before the trip). DH and I thought that by planning as much as possible we would avoid arguments. It seemed to work. We waited about 10 mins. DD(4) rode with DN(10) and DN(7) rode with me.

I love Astro Orbiter it just isn’t worth a long wait later in the day. Next was the Mad Tea Cups twice.

Then we made a quick stop to buy lanyards for the kids’ pins and an autograph book. Then we got FPs for Winnie the Pooh. We got to the entrance to Toontown about 9:45 right as the CMs were letting people in. Everyone went straight for the Fairies but we were here to meet some princesses. We got to be the first ones. DD(4) ran straight for Sleeping Beauty but DN(7) was very shy. Once I walked her over and introduced her she gave Aurora a big hug.

Next was Cinderella.

I have several photos of DD grabbing the characters in inappropriate places. I promise it's not on purpose:

Then Belle:

The girls were so excited to meet the princesses. DD(7) wanted to meet Snow White and DD(4) wanted to meet Ariel later in the week. I promised to try.
Next we rode Barnstormer. DD(4) chickened out at the last minute so we waited for the others at the exit.
We rode the railroad to Frontierland and got FPs for Splash Mountain-we could only get 4 since DH and DN(11) were not there. The big kids wanted to ride BTMR but DD(4) didn’t. I was nervous but I let them get in line by themselves and waited for them by the exit. The stand-by line was about 20 minutes. When 25 minutes had past I started to pace, at 30 minutes I got worried, by 35 minutes I panicked, by 40 minutes I was trying to figure out how to tell their parents that I lost their babies at DW. Then we saw them come out of the exit chatting with a couple of ladies they had met in line. YEAH! We were off to Splash Mountain. By then, we could get some more FPs so we got 2 more for Splash so all 6 of us could ride and 4 for BTMR. The wait was 40 minutes so we got in the stand-by line so we could save our FPs for later. The line moved fairly quickly and we were Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dahing and plunging to our death in about 30 mins. Everyone loved the ride including DD(4). I can’t remember exactly what we did next but I know we headed towards Adventureland and it started pouring rain. We wanted to ride Pirates of the Caribbean but the wait was too long due to the rain. We must have wondered around for a while because we didn’t leave till 1:00. We grabbed 4 more FPs for Buzz and stopped by Main Street Confectionary before we left.

We were all tired and hot. When we got back to the RV, DH and DN(11) were up and setting up the campsite. We showed off our stack of FPs: 8 for Buzz, 4 for Winnie the Pooh, 4 for BTMR, and 6 for Splash. We ate dinner and relaxed in the RV while it rained.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:27 PM   #4
elizablake
DIS Veteran

When the rain stopped we went back to the park.

We spotted Pluto:

DH and DN(10) went to get Jungle Cruise FPs and ride Buzz. I took the girls to Fantasyland to ride Winnie the Pooh and the Carousal.

The guys met us at the hub to watch the 5:40 Move It! Shake It! Celebrate It! Parade.

I thought it was great. The kids got up to dance:

Then we all rode Tomorrowland Speedway (surprisingly short wait) and Buzz with the rest of our FPs.

After Buzz, we went to Adventureland and met Rafiki and rode Jungle Cruise. The younger kids seemed to enjoy it but the older ones almost fell asleep.

We still had FPs for BTMR and Splash so we headed that direction. DN(7) and I rode first. BTMR is much better at night! Then DH and DN(10) rode. We then all rode Splash except DN(11) because she thought it would be too scary. We gave her some money for ice cream and she met us at the exit. Spectomagic was just starting so we cut across the road in Liberty Square and stayed on the sidewalk as we left the park. DD(4) and DN(7) both fell asleep on the boat ride home.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:52 PM   #5
kc5grw
Musket Mickey's Motoring Maniac #1

Looks like you had a great time.
kc5grw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:56 PM   #6
BradyBz12
1340.63 miles too far from the Fort

Terrific TR! Thanks for sharing your great pics - everyone looks like they're having a wonderful time.

Looking forward to hearing the rest.... and love the thread title!
BradyBz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:03 PM   #7
elizablake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyw View Post
great start!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc5grw View Post
Looks like you had a great time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyBz12 View Post
Terrific TR! Thanks for sharing your great pics - everyone looks like they're having a wonderful time.

Looking forward to hearing the rest.... and love the thread title!
Thank you! We had a great time.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:07 PM   #8
OK GRUMPY
And that is some useless chit chat!
I wonder if they serve Green Beer

This looks like so much FUN! Great Trip report!

OK GRUMPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:18 PM   #9
michelle9343
DIS Veteran

Wow it seems like you were all having a great time and I love the photos ..can't wait to see the rest!
Disney Dream Aug 24th 2012
michelle9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:38 PM   #10
Minnie&Mickey
I want to live at the Fort!

Great pictures! I'm really enjoying your trip report!

Minnie&Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:42 PM   #11
elizablake
DIS Veteran

Day 2

Animal Kingdom!!

I got up super early so I could fix breakfast before our day at Animal Kingdom. We drug the kids out of bed around 7:00. They ate and got dressed and we left the RV about 7:45. We made it to Animal Kingdom by 8:30 where we applied sunscreen and waited in line.

We were able to go through the turnstiles at 8:45. We could barely see the opening show.

First DH took the kids to Dinoland to ride Triceratops spin and Primevil Whirl while I went to get FPs for Everest.

Apparently, everyone else went to Everest too because that area was packed.

By the time I got back to Dinoland, DD(4) had ridden Triceratops spin 3 times and was waiting with DN(11) while DH and the other two kids rode Primevil Whirl.

DD(4) got her face painted while we waited.

DN(7) wanted face paint too when she got off Primevil Whirl. DN(11), DN(10), DD(4) and I rode Triceratops spin one more time while DH stayed with DN(7).

Then we all made our way to Dinosaur. All the kids loved it except DD(4). She wasn’t as scared as last time though. I was terrified.

After Dinosaur we waited about 10 minutes in the single rider line for Everest so we could save our FPs. The single rider line is kinda hidden. We also got FPs for Kali River Rapids. We all needed some air conditioning so we saw Finding Nemo, The Musical. I thought it was good but I liked Festival of the Lion King better.

Then we used our FPs for Everest and KRR.

We are in the front row:

DN(11) got SOAKED on KRR! Everyone loved it. KRR is a great ride but you don’t get a little damp like on Splash Mountain, you get soaked.

We got some soft serve ice cream in Asia. They put it in the tiniest cups so it melted everywhere. On our way out we saw Devine. She is really flexible! My husband was a little too mesmerized. I would hate to lose my man to a plant.

Last edited by elizablake; 06-15-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:03 PM   #12
elizablake
DIS Veteran

It was hot so we ate lunch and headed to the pool.

The kids had a great time but we only stayed a short time because we wanted to go to Downtown Disney.

The kids got Mickey ears at World of Disney. DN(10) found some pins he couldn’t live without. Then we all got treats at Goofy’s Candy Co.

We got back to the RV about 9:30. The two little ones fell asleep and the older ones were watching a movie so my DH and I decided to step outside and have a few beers. We struck up a conversation with our neighbors Jerry and Steven from Clearwater. We sat, drank beer and talked until about 11:00. By then all the kids were asleep.

This is where the trip went to hell.

I got Scooter from the RV so he could use the bathroom. I didn’t have him on his leash (stupid, stupid, stupid). Even though I know he’s scared of strangers, I introduce him to Jerry and Steven(stupid, stupid, stupid). He gets freaked out but I don’t take him back inside(stupid, stupid, stupid). Then our neighbors offer to show us the inside of their trailer (which is a really nice Airstream). We say yes and my husband leashes Scooter to the picnic table(stupid, stupid, stupid). He somehow manages to attach the leash to his actual collar not the metal loop (drunk and stupid, stupid, stupid). When we came back Scooter was gone and the leash was laying on the ground. At first we think no big deal, he has to be close by. But after looking under the RV and calling him he is no where to be found. We get flashlights and our neighbors help us look but we still don’t have any luck. My DH gets on his bike to look in the surrounding loops but I don’t want to get too far away from the RV since the kids are in there.

DH rides by about 10 minutes later and says some people spotted him in the 1400 loop but that he was heading back toward the 1600 loop. I start to get really worried. Scooter is not the outdoorsy type. He only goes out to use the bathroom. I’m afraid he's going to get hit by a bus. DH rides by again and says some teenagers just spotted him in the 1700 loop. I've waited long enough. I get my cell phone and call the front desk who sends security to help find him. Four guys come to help. I describe the dog and they start to look for him. DH stops back by and says he saw him but he ran away. I take the bike and flashlight and head for the 1700 loop. When I get there, security says they saw him go toward the 1900 loop and that he is scared. By that time several campers had joined in the hunt with their golf carts (gotta love other campers). One spotted him head into the woods behind the 1900 loop. It's really dark and all I can do is call him and shine the flashlight hoping to see the reflection of his eyes. I was also concerned about waking up other campers. It was midnight by now. I called and called him but he didn't come out. He must have been really scared because he always comes when called. That was the last time he was seen that night. DH and I took turns searching all through the night. We went to sleep about 5:00. I had a few nightmares about Scooter getting eaten by an alligator and woke up at 6:00.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:24 PM   #13
TheFlame
DIS Veteran

What a awesome TR............hope it turns out okay!?!
TheFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:25 PM   #14
elizablake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlame View Post
What a awesome TR............hope it turns out okay!?!
Thanks. I'll give you a hint. If we hadn't found the dog, we would still be in Orlando.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:26 PM   #15
TheFlame
DIS Veteran

BTW- You are an awesome aunt! :-)
TheFlame is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: