Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2009, 10:11 AM   #16
3boymthr
DIS Veteran

DH and I had been to WDW several times but it was our first family trip.

We did not make Rope Drop on any day of our trip - but we DID get there early - usually within 1/2 hour of park opening. We ordered the park maps online and studied them before we got to the parks so we didn't need to spend time getting the maps at the parks nor orienting ourselves when we got there.

By following the touring plan and suggested park days we were able to hit most of the items on our to-do list, especially at MK. We did allow 2 days for MK and 1 1/2 for Epcot. One item that is not on the touring plans that I HIGHLY recommend - the Kim Possible adventures. Try them out when you are in the WS.

When we went it was HOT - 95 every day even tho it was early May. Because of the heat we found going back to the room, while a pain, to be a blessing. By 2:00 we were dying in the heat. A couple of hours at the pool and in the room were a relief. We would then head back to the park for dinner and a few more rides. We stayed at the parks until closing - except we skipped Illuminations and Wishes (sacreligious I know but DH doesn't like fireworks) and left just as they were starting so we could get out just ahead of the crowds - this way our waits to get back to the room were minimal. The only day we did not follow this plan was when we were at AK and we did stop at 1:00 and have ice-cream and to sit in the shade, but it just wasn't the same as getting away from all that asphalt. Even with the rest and ice-cream we left AK by 4:00 simply because we were completely overwhelmed with heat. (but we live where average temps rarely exceed 90 even in July).

Autographs- bought the books and ended up selling them on e-bay unused because my kids just didn't want to stand in line to get the autographs. (BTW they sold for more than they cost so don't look to save money buying them on e-bay .) My DSs were happy to meet the characters when they came across them and posed for some nice pictures but stand in line - couldn't be bothered. They wanted to ride the rides! Everyone's experience is different, so ask you daughter what she'd rather do stand in line to meet characters to get autographs and photos or stand in line for rides. If your DD does decide she wants to get autographs you can pick up the book at a bunch of different locations in the parks or at the resort for about the same as you'd pay on e-bay. If you want one for putting photos in as well then I'd go with one from e-bay.

One other suggestion about the camera that someone gave here on the DIS that I thought was a great idea. Write your name, address and phone numbers on an 8x11 piece of paper - make it so they fill the whole page. Include your cell numbers and the hotel you are staying at and the dates of your stay. Photograph this page so the photo is both in the camera's internal memory and on all memory cards. That way if you loose any or all of them you have a chance of getting your camera back.

Also scope out the photopass photographers - you may or may not buy any of the photos or the CD but the photographers are located in the best spots for lining up your subject with the best/most memorable backgrounds (castle, hat, SE, Tree of Life, etc). We got a great photo on the streets of america and another with EE in the background. I never would have thought to take a picture in those spots but they came out awesome. They will also snap a photo with your camera if you ask them.

We drove also and I have to say found driving to MK and taking the bus to be equal pains in the ******* but found the bus transport to AK to be very easy to deal with. We stayed at YC so walked to EP and took the boat to DHS so can't comment on driving here. I was glad to have the car for getting back and forth to resort dinner ADRs though. It only took us 10 minutes to get to the WL by car but I imagine getting there by WDW transportation would have taken much, much longer.

Last edited by 3boymthr; 06-16-2009 at 10:27 AM.
3boymthr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:19 AM   #17
GraceLuvsWDW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanceliz View Post
Welcome and congratulations from a fellow Texan (we are from San Antonio)

Also, a tip I have for when you are going is to hit a Walmart and pick up some mister fans. It really helps with the heat.

Have a great trip
Haha! A fellow Texan won't mind the FL heat. We've been in triple digits here for at least a week!
WDW Pop Mar 2010 * WDW POFQ June 2010 * DLR Aug 2010
WDW WL & WBC June 2011 * DLR Dec 2011
WDW WBC June 2012
DCL Magic March 2013 * Currently Planning: WDW Beach Club/Swan August 2013
GraceLuvsWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-17-2009, 10:46 AM   #18
MiaShella
Mouseketeer

More questions added in the second post! Thanks!!!

Michele
MiaShella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:02 AM   #19
GraceLuvsWDW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaShella View Post
Already thought of something else. I have talked to a couple of people who have been to WDW in the past couple of months and they say the parks are pretty lenient about letting you bring in drinks and snacks, is this true? I bought a small insulated backpack that can hold six 20oz bottles of water plus a few small snacks. I would really like to do this since food is so expensive at theme parks. Also, we have tickets to Cirque Du Soleil on the 14, which park do you recommend that we go to since we would have to leave in the late afternoon and won't be going back to that evening?

Thanks!
Michele

EDIT: Thanks so much for all of the great info!!!!! DH and I have talked, and we will get up early on most of the mornings, then rest in the afternoon if we can, DD and I are pretty excited about the trip already, LOL. We also plan to use the Disney Transportation, everyone he has talked to that has driven there has suggested leaving the car at the resort. Can non-flash photos be taken at Cirque? My camera is a Canon Rebel XSi, will check the book for the memory card size limit, thanks for mentioning it! tawasdave I am PMing you, thank you! My DD who is 11 is tall enough for all of the rides and isn't afraid, though I think the Tower of Terror would get to her. What about getting character autographs? What characters are usually where? She really hasn't said much about getting autographs, but I want to be prepared before we go. We would really like to go to the T-Rex restaurant on our arrival day, should I make reservations now? I'm not sure what time we will be arriving, we're driving until DH can't drive anymore on the first day, then finishing up the trip on the second day. I can't think of anything else right now, but I will definately come back and post as soon as I do. You guys have been AWESOME with your info!!!

EDIT: Is there a list of characters available, and how do you find out where they are in the park? Can you get a list of showtimes before you get to WDW? Is there somewhere else to get free maps before you go to WDW? I tried gettting the ones on the WDW website and it printed really crappy, even when I retried it, and my ink is brand new. What are essentials to pack, that you wouldn't leave home without, my DD is 11. I also looked in my camera book and cannot find anything on max memory card size, it is a Canon Rebel XSi, does anyone know where I can find this info? Is there anything at WDW to do with the Narnia movies, my DD loves them. Ya'll have been so helpful to me, I really appreciate it. Thanks!
Steve Soares website is very good for schedules. Check it right before you leave as the schedules do change quite often.

You should be able to take non-flash photography anywhere unless they specifically prohibit you-as is the vase with special situations, shows, performers.

At DHS there is a Narnia wlk through exhibit. It is by TSM.

There is a character list somewhere but I've never found it to be quite accurate. Best bet: Get an autograph book for her and let the spontaneous moments happen!

Essentials: sunscreen, hat, wipees, anti-bac hand sanitizer, pens, autograph books, pin & lanyard (if you want to get into trading), money, tickets, ponchos, headache medicine, moleskin or bandaids for blisters. There's a list on here somewhere. Google or seach DIS for "Packing list for WDW". Likewise for Steve Soares.

Have a great trip! Don't obsess too much & just have a great time!
WDW WBC June 2012
Old 06-17-2009, 12:16 PM   #20
Tomh
DIS Veteran

We would really like to go to the T-Rex restaurant on our arrival day, should I make reservations now? I'm not sure what time we will be arriving

I called for my ADR's at 7:00 am exactly on my 90 day mark. I had wanted to get a reservation for T-Rex on the 4th day of our trip so that we could have supper there before going to Cirque. They couldn't get us in to T-Rex until 8:00 PM, which would have been way too late for our La Nouba showing, so we wound up taking an 8:00 PM T-Rex reservation for our arrival night. If you want T-Rex, I would absolutely call for an ADR, and do it as soon as you can.

EDIT: Is there a list of characters available, and how do you find out where they are in the park?

I don't know about a list, but when you are in the park, you can ask any CM about a particular character, and they can call to find out where and when that character will be out.

Can you get a list of showtimes before you get to WDW?

Steve Soares site is an indispensable tool, and should be bookmarked for future use http://pages.prodigy.net/stevesoares/index.htm

Is there somewhere else to get free maps before you go to WDW?

Why not have them print those maps, and send them to you? You can get a new set every six months, and they are really nice maps.

What are essentials to pack, that you wouldn't leave home without, my DD is 11.

This will likely be different for each person. In general, any medications you need, clothing appropriate for the weather. Shoes that are very comfortable, that you have done a good bit of walking in, and know your feet will tolerate well, and at least two pairs, because it is not uncommon to get a pair of shoes so wet that they won't dry out overnight. credit cards, Identification, tickets, cell phone and charger, camera, batteries (charger if necessary) and memory cards.

I also looked in my camera book and cannot find anything on max memory card size, it is a Canon Rebel XSi, does anyone know where I can find this info?

After doing a bit of digging around, I found THIS PAGE which shows results of write speed tests for different memory cards in your camera. The tested 16GB cards made by ATP, and Transcend, so I would say that you could use up to 16GB from either of those manufacturers.

Is there anything at WDW to do with the Narnia movies, my DD loves them.

There is a little Narnia / Prince Caspian display / walk through at DHS I believe.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:49 PM   #21
GraceLuvsWDW
DIS Veteran

Be forewarned. We went to T Rex 2 weeks ago (not to eat just to check it out) and it was A MAD HOUSE!

Truly, I would not want to brave that chaos and eat there!

It looked cool though. If your family is ok with this type of environment then go, otherwise beware!
WDW WBC June 2012
Old 06-17-2009, 12:55 PM   #22
GraceLuvsWDW
DIS Veteran

Also, I want to mention, though others might disagree, that if you think your dd won't like ToT definitely do not put her on RnRC until you've ridden it and can make the decision on whether she'd do ok on it. Personally, I wouldn't put my dd on it (I told her she can't ride it until she's 16! ). That's really the ONLY ride I would give you warnings on. It is IMO the most extreme ride at WDW.

Have a great trip!
WDW WBC June 2012
Old 06-17-2009, 04:10 PM   #23
P&B's Mom
Mouseketeer

You have gotten some great advice so far, but you will need to make the final decision as to the kind of family vacation is best for you. First of all, you have bought the best book out there--the others are not worth the paper they are printed on, IMO.

I am going to give you some advice based on our first trip. RDs are completely worth it. You can get so much done those first couple of hours because many people have the attitude, "It's my vacation and I am sleeping in." Don't get fooled at their importance. I also think that there is room in a vacation for a day off from the parks and a couple of later arrivals. I would schedule out the later arrivals after a late evening to see Wishes or F! at DS. I personally don't think that it's worth the extra money for the water parks, but if you do then go for it. I would only add if you think you are going to go to the water parks more than once or you are going to use the Disney Quest portion of the ticket.

I also don't believe in EMHs, but others love them. I don't like to hop, but others love to do it. You need to decide what is best for your family. I would rather sleep in an extra hour and get as much done than be at the gates one hour earlier. I also like the RDs and wouldn't even attempt one if I stayed out super late. We did hop a couple of times and absolutely hated it. I felt we wasted so much time traveling and trying to catch up on things we missed earlier.

Before you go, please have a plan. Know where you are going to go each day. Be sure to get FPs for the big rides first. TSM and then RnRC at DS, Splash at MK, Soarin' and then TT at EP, and EE and then Safari at AK. I like to get FP/ride standby/go back later for a second time. You didn't mention anything about dining, so I am going to assume you don't have the DDP. If you do, then you are going to have to work your plan around existing ADRs.

Remember that WDW is over 40 square miles and you are not going to be able to do everything. Have your priorities and everything will fall into place. Have fun!
1st Visit EVER--June 2008 @ BCV, DVC Member--September 2008 @ AKV, 1st Trip "Home"--August 2009 @ AKV Kidani, Grand Gathering--July 2010 @ GF CL & AKV Kidani, No Dads--Spring Break 2011 @ YC/BLT, DECA ICDC--April 2011 @ Rosen Shingle Creek, Xmas/NYE--Dec & Jan 2011-12 @ BC/AKV Jambo, Mom & Kids ONLY--August 2012 @ Pop/BWV, , DECA ICDC--April 2013 @ Crowne Plaza Anaheim, Mom & Kids ONLY #2--4th of July 2013 @ GF CL/AKV Kidani, Will This Trip Ever Happen?--July 2014 @ AKV CL/BWI
P&B's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:25 PM   #24
TinkerbellinLouisian
I think I'm going on my 21st visit in 47 years...

maps and showtimes

If you stop at that first Florida Rest stop (The BIG one with the free orange and grapefruit juice)
they will have maps of the parks and "Park Times" - the same flyers that are given out at the park.

Walk into the rest stop and go to the mid-left side.

It's a really great rest stop to stop at with clean restrooms, drink and snack machines, and a full staff...

Hugs,
Mary

PS - other than that I recommend the nice "parchment paper" maps that you can get once every six months...
1970 - (I was 5...it was just a movie being shown back then...still being built)...1974 - WDW - ?...1976 - DL - On the way to moving from CA to FL...1977 - WDW Lake Buena Vista...1981 - WDW High School Dance Competition...1982 - H.S. Dance Competition.....1983 - H.S. Dance Competition...1985 - Offsite...1991 - Offsite (HJ)..1993 - AS Movies...1994 - Offsite ...1995 - AS Music .....1997 - Offsite...1998 - Offsite...2000 - Offsite...2002 - Polynesian (Got Married!)...2004 - Beach Club...2006 - Beach Club...2008 - Beach Club...2010 May 9-14 BCV Graduation Celebration with DS18...2012 Surprising Family on details May Visit to WDW

TinkerbellinLouisian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:49 PM   #25
Lizziejane
Funny how everyone is different
Then pack twice the cash, and you're good to go!

I'm going to suggest....do RD half of the time, and sleep in the other half! If, for example, you do a RD one day, then go back to rest in the afternoon, then back to a park for EMH - sleep in the following morning. Then go to a park where instead of head-line rides, you do some of the less-popular shows or attractions where wait times aren't too bad.

And we always rent a car. I think Disney parking lots are probably the most slick, well-oiled piece of non-machinery I've ever witnessed! Mind you, we've never travelled at Christmas time, or super-busy periods, so perhaps that's the difference. Having a car = flexibility unmatched by any public transport system.
January, 2010 - BWV
January, 2014 - BWV - first trip for our DGD who will be 2!
Lizziejane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:52 PM   #26
Lizziejane
Funny how everyone is different
Then pack twice the cash, and you're good to go!

regarding the XSi question, I have the XTi and it handles an 8 gig card no problem. The XSi is newer, therefore, should have no problems with 8 gigs.
January, 2010 - BWV
January, 2014 - BWV - first trip for our DGD who will be 2!
Lizziejane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:55 AM   #27
MiaShella
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all of the info so far. I haven't thought of anythig else yet, I'm sure more will come to mind, just have to get the mind working, LOL!

Michele
MiaShella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:36 AM   #28
caroline1851
DIS Veteran

You're going to have a fantastic time!!!!!

If you only plan to do a water park one day, then just buy a day pass, it's cheaper that way.

Check out menus on allearsnet.com and figure out some TS meals you want to eat and make adrs asap.Our familly enjoyjed TS lunches-great break/rest from the crowds/park.

You're there 9 days, you'll be able to see almost everything you want to see-especially all the rides at MK.

You don't have to do everyday at RD, but definently plan several days at RD. YOu'll be shocked by how many rides you can do before the lines start building. my dh is totally not a morning person at all and he whined and complained about getting up early but he was so glad he did!!!

Make a super early breakfast ADR at MK, that way you can get into the park before it opens and get a picture in front of the castle with no one else in it.

Don't underestimate transportation time, especially if you're taking a mid-day break. You ahve to walk to the bus stop, wait for the bus (up to 20min), ride the bus, walk to the entrance of the park. Do it again to return to your resort. And then do it all again to go back to a park at night. It's a lot of time!

Mid-day breaks weren't great for us, but my kids are smaller. Ifound it was just too much wasted time traveling. Our most successful days were when we got to the park at RD and stayed until about 3 or 4, went back to resort to enjoy the pool and then had dinner and bedtime at normal time for them. Of course, you miss stuff that way. But at least there are tons of things we wnat to see on our next trip that we missed.

HAVE FUN!!!!!!
3rd trip April 1988
Disneyland April 1997
4th trip May 1999 at CSR
5th trip October 2008 at CSR
6th trip November 2010 at CSR
1st trip to US January 2012 at RPR
caroline1851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:37 AM   #29
kelldawn
Mouseketeer

Hi there I am from Eden Texas. The geographical center of Texas and have a monument to show it. Where are you driving from? It took us 2 hard full days to get there. But let me say we did have 9 days last Dec and it still was not enough time. Are you doing Disney and the other 2 attractions you mentioned in those 9 days???? If so you will still not have enough time to be satisfied that you went. This will be our 3rd time and it still was not enough time. We thought we could take it easy but lines are so long that you use alot of your time in the day waiting.So keep that in mind. Also going back to the resort will take a min of 4 hours out of your time. Bus up, waiting resting, waiting for bus back and then walking into the park you are choosing, then eating takes a chunk out. I hope this 9 day trip we can see things we still have not done or seen. Also if you get there early enough on the first day you will think you can chill out but your first time you just have to get somewhere do something. So go to Downtown Disney and get a feel for Disney. Grouchy or not you won't be when you see what it has to offer and can't sleep each night for wanting to be back at a park somewhere. Trust me. it is the most exciting thing in the world is to finally get to Disney and then a huge let down when you didn't get to do more. If I were you I would skip those 2 attractions you wanted to do and just do Disney, then next time go on those outings. Where are you staying??? I hope you have a great time. Again where are you from????
POP Jan 20-29 2012
kelldawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:36 AM   #30
BuzzLightyearInTampa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We will be at WDW for 9 days, one day of that will be spent going to Cypress Gardens and Dinsaur World in Winter Haven. I

My first suggestion would be to skip these two places all together. Cypress Gardens is cheesy, overpriced, rather old, and the food is sub-par, to say the least. Dinosaur World is OK for two hours or so if you're driving right by it, but no way in a million years I'd skip a day away from WDW for it. Even with 9 days at Disney, you still won't be able to do and see everything there.
BuzzLightyearInTampa is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: