Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2009, 05:07 PM   #1
marshallandcartersmo
DIS Veteran

Dentist pulling baby teeth in a child......any experience?

DS8's top two front permanent teeth haven't come down yet. The two on either side of them are coming in, but sorta sideways. The dentist thinks that's the reason that the two front teeth can't come down yet, because they don't have room to come down.

He wants to pull the baby teeth that are next to the permanent teeth that are coming down. Those baby teeth aren't lose AT ALL. He thinks that'll give the ones that are coming in sorta sideways more room to straighten out, and will give the front teeth room to come down.

DS (and I, but I'm not to showing it) are super nervous about it. Any experience w/this? The dentist said he'd give him some gas first. I understand there is other oral medication he can take, but I'm not sure I want him medicated if it really isn't a big deal.

ETA: I will definatley be getting him the gas. I'm just wondering if we should do something along with it.
marshallandcartersmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

I had lots of baby teeth (and permanant teeth) pulled as a child - I was a slow teether, and we wanted to get braces started. Two of my children (can't remember which ones) had teeth pulled - one was done at a checkup, right then and there, with just novacaine. No biggy.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-15-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
Green Tea
I don't do hatchets

The actual pulling of baby teeth is no big deal, but I would see an orthodontist before I made any decision like that. It is better in the long run to have an idea of what all might be needed down the road.

PS: one of mine had 7 taken at once, would have been 8 except one came out on its own. But all under the future plan of what the orthodontist had in mind.

If there is crowding now, braces are pretty much inevitable. One of mine had a spacer put in at about age 8.
Green Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:15 PM   #4
marshallandcartersmo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Tea View Post
The actual pulling of baby teeth is no big deal, but I would see an orthodontist before I made any decision like that. It is better in the long run to have an idea of what all might be needed down the road.

PS: one of mine had 7 taken at once, would have been 8 except one came out on its own. But all under the future plan of what the orthodontist had in mind.

If there is crowding now, braces are pretty much inevitable. One of mine had a spacer put in at about age 8.
Oh I've already heard that from him. He's taken lots of X-rays of DS's mouth and always has the same comment "he sure has some big teeth", and I always reply "so I guess we'll be having braces then".
I had horrible teeth before braces, and so did DH.

I guess I didn't realize I should already be looking into an orthodontist. I always thought I should wait until all the adult teeth come in. Thanks for the reminder!
marshallandcartersmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:18 PM   #5
Green Tea
I don't do hatchets

The ortho can work with the dentist to get the mouth ready for what is to come. It might be that the ortho would rather expand and let the permanent teeth fall in on time, or some other grand plan. The orthodontist might say come back in 5 years, but doubtful. He can help make room now which might lessen the need to have permanent teeth removed later.
Green Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:33 PM   #6
sunlver
Well ahhh, I got poked with a birthday party hat

My daughter will be 10 in July. She has had 4 baby teeth pulled already. We had an ortho consult and he suggested the pulling of the baby teeth, 2 last yr, and 2 pulled just last month. My daughters mouth is a mess..still lots of baby teeth left and big teeth coming in. By pulling them, he was just trying to give her a little more room. Ortho said she still will need braces, this is all the prework
Ortho and dentist work in same office..Ortho suggests what teeth to pull, then regular dentist does the pulling.
sunlver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:36 PM   #7
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallandcartersmo View Post
I guess I didn't realize I should already be looking into an orthodontist. I always thought I should wait until all the adult teeth come in. Thanks for the reminder!
This is the age where they usually go for a consult. If spacing is an issue, most orthodontists want to put a palate expander in, before the baby teeth come out. Dd12 had hers for years!
Old 06-15-2009, 05:37 PM   #8
RadioNate
DIS Veteran

Is the dentist sure (via xray) that the permeant teeth are there?

My dentist pulled my baby teeth and I never got permanent ones! Worst mistake EVER.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:07 PM   #9
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Why is he in such a rush? Slow down, dentist dude, slow down.

Jaws GROW...why don't dentists and orthodontists realize that? I had my first ortho appt at 9, entered the awful world of braces because "even though her teeth are straight, when she's 40 there will be problems", my teeth looked just the same EXCEPT there's scads of room NOW that I'm an adult. Had 4 teeth plus wisdom teeth pulled, so so stupid. (I'm really not a huge fan of preventative braces, I'd rather have adults with braces once they KNOW there's a problem and once they KNOW they don't like their teeth like that, rather than the just in case nonsense that no one will ever be able to prove or disprove, since the change will already be made)

Other than that, gas only? Why gas? I've never had that. A blip of lidocaine, if you choose to go forward with this rather than letting her body figure it out, pull pull, it's done. Why the gas?

And yes, DS had two teeth, that were disintegrating (his father's father's family has awful teeth), pulled. Blip of lidocaine, all done. He was only 2.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:39 PM   #10
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

My DD was in second grade and had to have her upper and lower 2 front teeth extracted. They adults were coming in behind. The dentist referred us to an orthpdonist , who sent us to an oral surgeon. I paid extra so my DD could get "laughin gas"
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:53 PM   #11
ElizK
I'm a whosoever!
My threads are dead before they're even posted!
Gained 10 lbs just reading a thread on the DIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallandcartersmo View Post
DS8's top two front permanent teeth haven't come down yet. The two on either side of them are coming in, but sorta sideways. The dentist thinks that's the reason that the two front teeth can't come down yet, because they don't have room to come down.

He wants to pull the baby teeth that are next to the permanent teeth that are coming down. Those baby teeth aren't lose AT ALL. He thinks that'll give the ones that are coming in sorta sideways more room to straighten out, and will give the front teeth room to come down.

DS (and I, but I'm not to showing it) are super nervous about it. Any experience w/this? The dentist said he'd give him some gas first. I understand there is other oral medication he can take, but I'm not sure I want him medicated if it really isn't a big deal.

ETA: I will definatley be getting him the gas. I'm just wondering if we should do something along with it.

DD14 had the same problem, only it was her bottom front teeth. Just so you know, it did work for those four teeth. They did all come in straight. Really, it's not that big a deal. They'll give him the gas, and he won't care what they do next, probably won't rememeber a lot it. DD14 went on to have a total of NINE baby teeth pulled. Poor kid. She's got my teeth. I've had 11 pulled (4 baby, 4 permanent, 3 wisdom). By the time she's had her wisdom teeth out, she'll have me beat!
Old 06-15-2009, 08:26 PM   #12
DawnCt1
I had to wonder what "holiday" he thought we would be celebrating with a tree?Answer: Arbor Day
Personally I have always wanted to be a super hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Why is he in such a rush? Slow down, dentist dude, slow down.

Jaws GROW...why don't dentists and orthodontists realize that? I had my first ortho appt at 9, entered the awful world of braces because "even though her teeth are straight, when she's 40 there will be problems", my teeth looked just the same EXCEPT there's scads of room NOW that I'm an adult. Had 4 teeth plus wisdom teeth pulled, so so stupid. (I'm really not a huge fan of preventative braces, I'd rather have adults with braces once they KNOW there's a problem and once they KNOW they don't like their teeth like that, rather than the just in case nonsense that no one will ever be able to prove or disprove, since the change will already be made)

Other than that, gas only? Why gas? I've never had that. A blip of lidocaine, if you choose to go forward with this rather than letting her body figure it out, pull pull, it's done. Why the gas?

And yes, DS had two teeth, that were disintegrating (his father's father's family has awful teeth), pulled. Blip of lidocaine, all done. He was only 2.
Gas works out very well in the pediodontist office. As a parent of children that have worn the little "nose" and had their teeth "wiggled", it can really be a "non event". Making room for secondary teeth often prevents major orthodontic intervention down the road. Why NOT gas? The amount of gas that is delivered in a dental office does not put the child to sleep. It relaxes the child so that lidocaine can be delivered painlessly and effectively. It isn't "one or the other", its a combination of both. From a young age my children always were comfortable going to the dentist. Keeping the visits anxiety and pain free is the key!
DawnCt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:31 PM   #13
pixiegoose
I can't sleep with closet doors open

When I was in 5th grade, I had 13 teeth pulled. 8 babies (well, 9 but 1 was loose and came out on its own) and 4 adult teeth (that were under the baby teeth) with just novicaine. My mouth is ridiculously small and I ended up having to have my wisdom teeth out when I was 15 (I was completely out for those though, as they were impacted and I didn't want to know what was going on). It's always fun going to new dentists and having them try to match up my teeth with their chart for noting the conditions of teeth- they're never quite sure how they want to number them since I'm short 2 on top and 2 on bottom.

Me (29), DH (30), (7/10), #2 due 7/6/13, Apple
Previous WDW trips: 1997, 1998, 2000 offsite; 7/2006 honeymoon at CSR , 9/2007 at Pop, 2/2009 at POR, 12/2009 at CBR, 1/2011 at CSR (baby's 1st trip!), dreaming of our next trip!
pixiegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:32 PM   #14
maelstrom
DIS Veteran

I had several baby teeth pulled as a child. My mouth was too small (it still is) to accomodate all my teeth, and I was going to need braces in a few years. I had both nitrous and novocaine when I had my baby teeth pulled, and it was no big deal. I then had braces from ages 10 to 13. When I was 18, I had my two bottom wisdom teeth pulled because they were starting to come in and my mouth is *still* too small to accomodate, really, the teeth I already have, let alone those as well. I did not get nitrous for that, only novocaine, and I was *awake*. OH MY GOD!! It was extremely traumatic. I am definitely a fan of nitrous for dental work. I'm now 23 and my mouth is really still too small for all of my big teeth.

Next Trip: May 2013 at Port Orleans French Quarter

Got Married! October 1, 2011 in Atlantic City!
maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:38 PM   #15
tracyncj
Earning My Ears

DD9 has had 9 mos of braces and, after that, one of her "big-girl" teeth started messing up the work! I was all-too-happy to have a baby one pulled by the dentist. As predicted, the errant emerging tooth "found its home" and shouldn't be a problem. The did it with just novacaine and it went smoothly.

I do wonder sometimes if dentists and orthodontists rush to judgement when predicting outcomes...but then I remember that they are the experts, I chose caregivers I trust, and I never leave without a full explanation of the "whys." So far, so good!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: