Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
carwesty
Mouseketeer

Boston road trip

We are a family of 5 wanting to do a road trip in July to Boston from Indianapolis. The kids are 12, 10 and 4. We want to stop at some places along the way or the way home and have been considering Niagara Falls and maybe go up into Maine (Kennebunkport). We have a week for this trip. Any other suggestions of place to stop along the way that would be of interest for the kids? How about Philadelphia? Or Baltimore? We haven't been to any of these places or really any out in that area with the kids. We have been to Boston once but it was without the kids. We are thinking 3 nights in Boston and 1 night in Niagara Falls. Thanks for any suggestions!!!
carwesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:27 PM   #2
daisax
DIS Veteran

I'd get out a big Atlas and look at the distances you're talking about. I live in Boston and it's about a 17 hr drive to Indy, as I recall -- and it's 10+ hours to Niagara from here. Kennebunkport is an hour north, but it's not a real "Maine" experience.

You'd probably be better served choosing one location and really enjoying the heck out of it. You can easily spend a week in Boston and spend a day north in Salem, MA, and Cape Ann (Gloucester), a day west in Lexington and Concord, then a few days on Cape Cod/Plymouth.

But trying to fit a drive to Niagara in a week long trip from Indy to Boston would mean you'd be spending the week in your car, not on vacation.

You could also stick just to the cities and do Boston and Philadelphia, coming or going.
daisax is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-15-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
Nicholfamily5
Mouseketeer

sorry, but I'll have to agree. Niagra falls is a destination in itself, and would work if you had more than just a week. I'd also recommend salem, it would be a lot of fun for that age group. Tons to do!
Also you could look into Rockport, very pretty coastal town with shops and nice beaches.

If you have your heart set on maine, I highly recommend you bite the bullet and head up to Bar Harbour. Can't be beat.
Nicholfamily5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
jfoofj
DIS Veteran

I agree with the previous posters... Niagara is a looooooong drive from the Boston area. Maybe try exploring Cape Cod and the Islands off the Cape (Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket)... ferries leave all day long from Hyannis and it is a 1 or three hour ferry depending if you do the fast ferry or not to Nantucket. I have been to Martha's Vineyard a couple times, but my family used to own a house on Nantucket and it is a beautiful island, very quaint, tons of history and great beaches.

Maine is great too... I love Ogunquit, Kennebunkport, York. Tons to do all along that area but I agree it isn't the true "Maine" experience. Go further up the coast if you want that, it is beautiful. We love Camden.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:32 PM   #5
carwesty
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the replies, I will look into other Maine locations. My husband and I went to Kennebunkport a few years ago and he thought the kids would love the lobster boat trip. We thought of heading to Niagara Falls first stop, 9 hours from Indy, then onto Boston, mapquest said 8 hours for that leg of the trip. We thought 1-2 nights in Niagara Falls and 3 nights in Boston, then a few nights somewhere else, possibly Maine. My husband is really not too keen on Niagara Falls, he just wants to head to Boston and then go up to Maine. 16 hours on mapquest to Boston.
carwesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:02 PM   #6
Mouse Maineac
Mouseketeer

Maine is a terrific place to visit. Be sure to visit LL Bean in Freeport. Bar Harbor is lovely but very far from Boston. Camden/Rockport area is lovely as well. Have fun!
Old 06-15-2009, 06:06 PM   #7
BuzzPrincessMom
Mouseketeer

We live in NH and love Maine.

However I agree, that is a ways to go to go on a lobster boat ride. Couldn't you do one on the Cape, Rockport or somewhere else in MA.

I would like to recommend a Boston Duck Tour. I have yet to go on one but it is on the to do list this summer.

How about a tour of Fenway Park?

BuzzPrincessMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:21 PM   #8
jfoofj
DIS Veteran

The Duck Tour is awesome... you should absolutely do that! The Freedom Trail, the Aquarium, The Science Center, Children's Museum, Fanuiel Hall... there really is a ton to do. Obviously, there is a lot of history in and around Boston.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:56 AM   #9
swilshire
DIS Veteran

Be aware that parking rates are brutal in Boston. Be sure to check when you make your hotel reservations.

Sheila
swilshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:47 PM   #10
Grumpy140
Earning My Ears

Ideas

How about a Whale watch, there also is a nice trolley ride that you can get for the day and you can get on and off all dat long it is a blast. Lots of museums and aquarium.

I love Boston we live about 45 Minutes away and love to go there.
Grumpy140 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: