Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2009, 12:05 AM   #16
AllyBri
DIS Veteran

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
I am at WDW right now. When I first started looking a few months ago, most codes were over $300. In the 2 or 3 weeks before my trip, they dropped substantially. My final rate for 8 days was $150 incl taxes for National Emerald Aisle. Don't give up hope.

Yep.......we got lucky this time around, starting Wednesday, I have a 24 day rental for $361.
Been a while since I have seen rates like this.

TDS 1994-2005
DVC 1994
Celebratišošn 2001
Living The Dream!

When you die
God and the angels
will hold you accountable
for all the pleasures you were allowed in life
that you denied yourself.
AllyBri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:52 AM   #17
michelle1
DIS Veteran

We booked a midsize for 8 days in August for $187...I even thought that was high at first because we've never paid that much but now I see the rates are just going up and up.
michelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-16-2009, 07:21 AM   #18
princessjane
Mouseketeer

I agree, the car rates are insane right now. Even a compact in august From Alamo WITH Coupons is ridiculously high. I's still looking around for a good deal under $200. I''m thinking at this point that just renting from the CCC and taking the DME to and from the Airport is the cheapest option, more inconvenient, but almost $200 cheaper for the week. I may forgo the car altogether and just take a cab to the one off property place we plan to visit.

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/ou7v8tdfoq1oc2co.png[/img]

2006 POR, 2004 AllStar Music, June 2002: Disneyland, CA Resort , 2001 Portofino Bay at Universal Florida, 2000-1990 Various Offsite Hotels.

Wilderness Lodge 8/22-8/29 For My Son's B-Day!!!!
princessjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:46 AM   #19
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

3. Car mfg aren't offering favorable short term leases/guaranteed buy backs. Rental agencies are finding the "market" value for their used cars is less then the terms they previously got from the mfg. Re-sale price is greatly affected by mileage. Rental agencies are starting to realize it make more sense to leave the car unrented rather then let the value of the car diminish with very little revenue.
4. Customer knowledge, quick rent programs and kioshes means fewer customers are purchasing profitable extras such as insurance and gas plans.
5. Agencies have merged, reducing competition.

For a variety of reasons rental rates in Orlando were priced substantially below other parts of the country. Some experts say a rental rate of around $200/week is probably the minimum rate an agency should charge. NOT THE AVERAGE rate; anything much below that rate and the agency might be better off letting the car sit.

Ed has a point. DME results in fewer rentals. Rental agencies have to cover their fixed costs over a reduced number of rentals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlewisinsyr View Post
There are two main contributors to the cost increases...

1. The prices paid for the vehicles are increasing due to limited discounting by manufacturers offering vehicles for rental fleets. This is increasing the per unit/month cost of the vehicles and in turn increasing the rates that are being passed to the consumer.

2. Rental Companies have been more successful in matching demand to fleet sizes then airlines have, and have drastically cut their fleets, which means less capacity and the ability to charge higher rates.

This is also coupled with the fact that most companies are no keeping their vehicles longer, resulting in higher mileage.

The worst thing ANYONE could do right now is hold two reservations, it will further reduce capacity. Yes, rental agencies do forecast no-show volumes, but they also will be quick to increase prices. I do recommend securing a vehicle though now, rather then later as long as you understand the limitations on the reservation (ie. prepaid, cancellation penalties, etc.)

I wouldn't be surprised if you start seeing more and more cancellation/no show penalties in rental quotes/reservations.

All the above said, personally, I don't consider any of the rates people have been getting all that bad.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:20 PM   #20
aidensmom73
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle1 View Post
We booked a midsize for 8 days in August for $187...I even thought that was high at first because we've never paid that much but now I see the rates are just going up and up.
Can you share what codes/coupons you used?
aidensmom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:43 PM   #21
michelle1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidensmom73 View Post
Can you share what codes/coupons you used?
I booked it about a month ago with Advantage and it was the posted rate on the web site (no coupon) but the rates have almost doubled since. I have used Advantage before but would prefer a rental co. in the terminal if something comparable comes up (looks unlikely!).
michelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:32 PM   #22
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

I was able to get a midsize for 9 nts 8/29-9/7 for $296 total thru Thrifty.
Here's a link to the discount code I used:
http://www.orlandoinfo.com/magicard/...transportation

Prior to finding that, I used the OOAG with Dollar but same dates and vehicle were $345.
I've always used Alamo for their convenience but will have to look elsewhere this time. They want almost $450 for the same thing.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:03 AM   #23
ilovethisplace
Mouseketeer

ruadisneyfan2,
That Magicard rate is actually the best I've found for my dates in Oct, thanks for that. A weekly, midsized rental with Thrifty (now on airport) for $209. If you told me a year ago that I would be excited about a rate of $209 I'd have laughed in your face, oh well. I'm still hoping Alamo or National will drop closer to my date.
ilovethisplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:28 AM   #24
wdwgypsy
Mouseketeer

Prices are based on demand, dates, and location. High demand vehicles for the area (minivans, etc) and high demand locations (airports) and high demand times (US holidays) mean higher prices

It's amazing how renting a car out side of the terminal or can reduce the price. Not only because of less fees but also because of less demand. I saved $100 off a 3 day rental in November by looking at an alternate site.

Check for off airport rental locations as well as the MCO terminal. If you are staying on site it might be worth it to take ME to your hotel and pick up your rental car later at an off airport site.

And use any discount code you are legally entitled too. They are posted at Mousesavers and all over the web.

http://www.mousesavers.com/rentalcar.html
There are many codes that are out there for all to use from places live Walmart, Orange County Visitors Bureau, Kissimmee Kissemmee Visitor Bureau, and by the rental companies themselves just to name a few. see link above

But a note about discount codes. Look carefully, make sure the low prices isn't off set by having to pay for mileage or other fees normally covered by the rental fee. Some codes or coupons are blacked out over holidays as well. Once again only use codes you have right to use. Don't embarass yourself because you found a cheap but unkown discount code and then get to the counter and be asked for an organization or company ID.

Take a moment and check outside your normal company. Its amazing how many people are brand name oriented and won't budge off the brand name.
I think with the car rental companies the national ones are all comparable.

Shop around!! Shop not buy. And after you make a reservation keep checking back. New Deals are always popping up!
Old 06-17-2009, 06:48 PM   #25
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovethisplace View Post
ruadisneyfan2,
That Magicard rate is actually the best I've found for my dates in Oct, thanks for that. A weekly, midsized rental with Thrifty (now on airport) for $209. If you told me a year ago that I would be excited about a rate of $209 I'd have laughed in your face, oh well. I'm still hoping Alamo or National will drop closer to my date.
Glad I could help!
Old 06-17-2009, 10:12 PM   #26
mousemom11
Wild Women Do Disney and They Don't Regret It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post
I was able to get a midsize for 9 nts 8/29-9/7 for $296 total thru Thrifty.
Here's a link to the discount code I used:
http://www.orlandoinfo.com/magicard/...transportation

Prior to finding that, I used the OOAG with Dollar but same dates and vehicle were $345.
I've always used Alamo for their convenience but will have to look elsewhere this time. They want almost $450 for the same thing.
Thanks so much for this code. I was able to get a mini van for 10 days in November for $491 (includes a $15 drop off charge for one-way). It was about $100 cheaper than a Budget full-size for the same time.

I'm still hoping for a better price as November nears, but at least this way I have a reservation on the books.

1996 Honeymoon at WDW 2002 Disneyland GC 2003 Disneyland GC (Concierge) 2005 Disneyland GC at Christmas 10/08 DLH
2009 WDW and Disney Magic Western DD 2010 Mediterranean RCCL Brilliance of the Seas
2011 Alaska Disney Wonder 2012 WDW and Disney Fantasy Eastern 2013 RCCL Allure B2B Western and Eastern
2014 Disney Magic Christmas Western 2015 Disney Magic Baltics
mousemom11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:05 AM   #27
wdwfan1
DIS Veteran

Just booked a mini van with Dollar for 8 nights for the end of November into December. Total with all fees is $317.83. That is a very good rate compared to what I was getting with other companies.

wdwfan1

I have been boo'd by wisbucky!
wdwfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:32 AM   #28
encinc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwfan1 View Post
Just booked a mini van with Dollar for 8 nights for the end of November into December. Total with all fees is $317.83. That is a very good rate compared to what I was getting with other companies.
What codes did you use?
encinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:28 AM   #29
emmabelle
I better watch out or my tag will say "She's some kind of a loserbag!"

I'm in complete sticker shock for car rentals. We just booked a four night cruise out of PC with 3 nights of Disney after and the rates for a week are like $400. We may have to do two one way rentals and take DME back to the airport on our last day.

2003-CBR, 2004-Swan, 2006-BC, 2006-BWI, 2007-WL, 2008-BWI, 2009-BC, 2010-BWI, 2011-YC, 2011-BWV, 2012-BLT, 2013-BC, 2013-YC, 2014-GF
emmabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: