Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Am I crazy?
Bat Poop Crazy! Stop at the hotel! 17 65.38%
It depends... do you really think the baby can handle it! 5 19.23%
Do it! It's one day of pain for one day of awesome at the park! 4 15.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-14-2009, 09:43 AM   #1
Just(donald)Ducky
Mouseketeer

a 5 yr old, 4 yr old, and a 1yr old baby +1200 miles one way... am I nuts?

Hey all-

So we are taking a trip down in August, leaving from Western Ny to drive down.

So far the plan is to leave at around 8 at night, drive through the night to Patriots Point SC to visit the naval museum there, then stop for an overnight stay at a motel. Then Finish the last 6 hours of the drive the next day.

What I want to do is leave at about 6 in the evening, and drive straight through. We would get to disney a day earlier, and have one more day in the park. Wifey is concerned because of the baby.

She really is a happy baby though. I can't explain how happy the baby is.

Of course we would stop (I figure a 15-30 minute stop every 2 hours or so, so we can stretch our legs and go to the bathroom, and so the baby can play.

So am I crazy?

jan 2008 - 9 nights at ASM
Just(donald)Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
anabelle
Did I say that out loud?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just(donald)Ducky View Post
Hey all-

She really is a happy baby though. I can't explain how happy the baby is.

So am I crazy?
That reminds me of a long trip we took with our unusually happy 1 year old baby girl. She cried 4 straight hours, I kid you not. She could not be consoled. She actually couldn't cry anymore after the 4 hours, she lost her voice. That was the only time in her life she did that, but it was not fun.
anabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2009, 12:27 PM   #3
karensokool
Mouseketeer

yes...you are crazy.
karensokool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:34 PM   #4
ntz4disney
Mouseketeer

I say wing it and see how the kids are in the car! Our daughter was only 9mo. when we drove for the first time and she was perfect, slept most of the trip and was pretty easy going. We also did what you suggested, stopping every so often for gas, snacks, and potty breaks. We didn't have any nightmare stories to go by so when our son came along, we decided to drive again ...he was 5mo and she was close to 4yo. Did the same thing, stopped when we needed to and the only difference was that he was not enjoying being stuck in the carseat so long. It was an infant one turned towards the seat too so that may have been the difference too ...who knows, each kid is different but we just deal with it! We have driven many times since we had kids and each trip is a new adventure, we just go with the flow ...we do drive straight through though ...we leave by 6:30-7pm at night and we get to Disney by 10am ...you can make really good time when the kids are asleep ...as long as you are prepared to stop then, I say just see how the ride goes and Wing It!

ntz4disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:54 PM   #5
buffettgirl
The whole tag thing, so 1990's internet *****. Why can't you say "f o r u m"?

I say the baby might be fine. Your 5 and 4 year old will revolt.
CR: July/Aug 2003
SOG: Dec 2006, July 2009 (split CSR), June 2011, Aug 2012
buffettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:38 AM   #6
snowbunny
DIS Veteran

Yes. You are crazy. Hope this helps.
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:27 AM   #7
GranddadTom
Mouseketeer

I'm figuring that someplace in southern Virginia wifey exits the car, catches a bus back to Geneseo, and leaves you with three screaming kids! But seriously, go for it. You can't spent your whole life taking the safe route - you won't have any stories to tell when you get old. One thing for sure - you'll remember this trip!
GranddadTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:57 AM   #8
lastminutemom
DIS Veteran

A couple of thoughts...

I think you should stop because I think by the time you get to Disney you will be exhausted and will have gained nothing.

However, I wouldn't make stop at Patriots Point, your children are too young for it to be meaningful. Instead, I would drive as far as you can, find a hotel with a pool, all get a good night's sleep and get up the next morning early and arrive at Disney fresh and ready to go.

Our third child couldn't/can't sleep in the car. The last time we tried a long car trip she screamed for hours that she needed to lay down. I need a bed. Which then kept her brothers up.
lastminutemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:03 PM   #9
PurpleTurtle
Mouseketeer

I didn't vote b/c I wouldn't do it if you can't fly. We drove down (staying in a hotel on the way) 1150 miles when our kids were 6, 3, 1 and 1. The babies just hated it. They cried in the car, at the hotel, everywhere. It was so horrible. I would have paid $2000 just to be home at that point in time. I did not enjoy the trip at all b/c I was dreading the drive home so much. The 6 yo threw up the whole way home, not kidding, we gave her a gallon size ziploc b/c she just kept throwing up every 20 min. or so. We would have been stuck in the FL panhandle for 3 days if we hadn't just kept going. We fly everywhere now!
PurpleTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:18 PM   #10
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranddadTom View Post
I'm figuring that someplace in southern Virginia wifey exits the car, catches a bus back to Geneseo, and leaves you with three screaming kids! But seriously, go for it. You can't spent your whole life taking the safe route - you won't have any stories to tell when you get old. One thing for sure - you'll remember this trip!

Nahhh... I think she'd stop around Baltimore/DC and fly the rest of the way to Orlando.

Seriously though, I agree with the pp about flying. If we can't fly, we don't go. Some things are worth more than $$, like our time and sanity.

I've taken the kids alone (w/o dh): finished a full day of work/school on a Fri., took the train back to NJ from Philly, ordered a pizza to be delivered, drove home, changed out of scrubs, loaded the car, ate the pizza, and got to the airport for an 8:45 pm flight to MCO. By 11:30 we were at the Hyatt MCO, got a good night's sleep and woke up ready to have fun.
Once you try that, you'll never want to drive!

ruadisneyfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:05 PM   #11
talulabelle
DIS Veteran

Yes, you are crazy-nuts-insane-koo-koo.

Not only are you crazy for even entertaining the thought of driving straight through, (with a baby no-less!) but you are crazy for driving that far (even with a night at a motel) with 3 kids under the age of 5. Did you price airfare? It is really cheaper to fly sometimes. Can't you snag a $69 SW or Airtran flight? Jetblue fly from your city? Add up gas, wear and tear on your car, motel stay both ways, and most importantly precious time and the $900 to fly both ways doesn't seem that bad. Then you gain like 4 days of vacation because you save 2 days both ways. A few weeks ago, flights were as low as $45 each way on Airtran. Use Disney transportation, no need for rental car.
talulabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: