Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
MickeyMickey
DIS Veteran

Young families and eastern excursions?

Will be traveling with 2, 3, 5 & 7 year old and interested in hearing reviews of excursions you have done with little ones. Were they enjoyable and would you do them again?
MickeyMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:53 AM   #2
sftnslky
**May every day be filled with Magical memories**

Smile

Subscribing....would love to know as well.

sftnslky is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-12-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

At this age, I'd strongly suggest Coral World. This is an aquarium with an underwater viewing tank, petting tanks, gift shop, snack bar, hiking trails, etc. Coki Beach is right across the parking lot from Coral World. When you go in you'll be given wrist bands so that you can go in and out all day to use the bathrooms, etc. It is easy to do on your own (so you can return to the ship if kids get fussy), and there are discount tickets available on line as well as family rates! This is at St. Thomas. THe other one that's good with kids is the butterfly farm on either island--also easy to do on your own. There are cabs available at the pier and at Coral World essentially all the time. If you like your driver on the way there you can ask him to return for you at a specified time...but then you lose the advantage of leaving if the kids need have had enough.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:31 PM   #4
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

You can check out the FAQ thread linked in my signature below for EXCURSION REVIEWS. There are reports of things people have done on their own, which with the ages of your children you would need to do.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:20 AM   #5
pinkygirl
The day isn't long enough I think
You should drop by and say hello

Hi there!!! we did an eastern last Oct. but we never made it to St. Thomas due to bad weather, but I can tell you what we did in St. Maarten.
Our boys just loved the Butterfly Farm!! I would definately go back there again. We also went to the St. Maarten Park zoo. It was a bit small, about 45 minutes to walk through the whole place but my boys had fun!! After doing it once we probably wont do this one again though.
Cruise#1 MAGIC Oct.11-18, 2008 EasternWDW trip#1 Apr.30-May 5, 2012 ASMoviesCruise#2 DREAM Dec.1-4, 2013 Bahamas Cruise#3 WONDER Jan.9-13, 2015 Western
pinkygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:28 AM   #6
AbsyBabsy
Disney Diva

I just returned from eastern cruise. We absolutely loved St. Thomas but would not likely return to St. Martin. We found it very run down - much of it looked like a junk yard. We like to get our own car and get off the beaten path. We did not feel safe doing so in St. Martin. I agree with the other posters regarding the butterfly or coral excursion -this is one island I would not do without a formal tour. I heard great reviews of the butterfly farm while on the boat - I did not hear anything about Coral World.

St.Thomas has a great beach called Magen's beach - it is only about 15 minutes away on a taxi - you can take a van taxi or open air taxi - both will charge you $8 per person. The beach is great for kids. There are bathrooms and a beach walk up for food. It is a square inlet and there were no waves, plenty of little fish to see underwater and quite shallow. They have picnic benches and shady trees to sit under. You can also rent a chair and umbrella.

There is also a cash charge to enter Magen's beach - We had 4 adults and 2 kids - it was $16 to get in.

Wonder 2006, Magic 2007, Wonder 2008, Magic 2009, Wonder 2009, Wonder 2010, Wonder 2010, Oasis 2010, Magic 3/19/2011, Dream 4/7/2011, Dream 1/26/2012 Platinum baby! Fantasy 6/2/12 Dream 9/2/12, upcoming: Fantasy 2013, Dream 2013, Fantasy 2014, Magic Christmas 2014, Wonder Alaska 2015.
AbsyBabsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:47 AM   #7
Michele325
Mouseketeer

ALso subscribing. Trying to figure out what to do in St Martin with a 4 year old, 6 and 10. Going to do Coral World in St Thomas. I am thinking of just sending the 10 year old and DH on a snorkling trip. And the rest of us will enjoy a quiet day on the boat!
Michele325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:57 PM   #8
Disney Nana 4
Mouseketeer

Wink

To kcashner....sent you a private message
Disney Nana 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:39 PM   #9
sharen24
DIS Veteran

We did the Orient beach excursion through DCL. There was some nudity, but nothing that my 3 year old would be offended by. The beach is beautiful and the lunch provided on the excursion was very good. Nice, easy beach day with some "entertainment" as a bonus.
sharen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:48 PM   #10
sunshinegirl

Earning My Ears

Our girls are 6 and 8 and I am also now starting to figure out what to do. In the past, we haven't taken them ashore much (except Castaway Cay). But I really want them to appreciate the beauty of the islands this time and to experience a place different from home or Disney World. On the other hand, I don't want us to end up in a situation with cranky kids on a hot bus who don't want to be there. KWIM? Ideally, we would have some beach time, a little shopping time, and see some of the islands. Between St. Marten and St. Thomas, I would think we would have time to do that and not have them grumpy from long days.
sunshinegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:55 PM   #11
RadioNate
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsyBabsy View Post
I just returned from eastern cruise. We absolutely loved St. Thomas but would not likely return to St. Martin. We found it very run down - much of it looked like a junk yard. We like to get our own car and get off the beaten path. We did not feel safe doing so in St. Martin. I agree with the other posters regarding the butterfly or coral excursion -this is one island I would not do without a formal tour. I heard great reviews of the butterfly farm while on the boat - I did not hear anything about Coral World.

St.Thomas has a great beach called Magen's beach - it is only about 15 minutes away on a taxi - you can take a van taxi or open air taxi - both will charge you $8 per person. The beach is great for kids. There are bathrooms and a beach walk up for food. It is a square inlet and there were no waves, plenty of little fish to see underwater and quite shallow. They have picnic benches and shady trees to sit under. You can also rent a chair and umbrella.

There is also a cash charge to enter Magen's beach - We had 4 adults and 2 kids - it was $16 to get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharen24 View Post
We did the Orient beach excursion through DCL. There was some nudity, but nothing that my 3 year old would be offended by. The beach is beautiful and the lunch provided on the excursion was very good. Nice, easy beach day with some "entertainment" as a bonus.
We also did the Orient Beach excursion though DCL. I thought the beach was lovely however it is on the Atlantic side so there are some big waves etc which were rough on my littlest one.

We did not encounter any nudity.

The lunch was ok. Not great but edible. My kids weren't thrilled with it and we did a bad job packing for the 18 month old. There was nothing at the beach she would eat. That however was more our fault.

I also very much agree with a PP that said St Martin was very run down. DS (8) asked if there was a hurricane that hit the island recently. We are from FL so he is familiar with that.

I did like the beach but I was surprised at the island it self. I'm not totally naive but they took us through some obviously poorer areas.

We didn't go to the beach in St Thomas or St John but everyone I talked to raved about it. If I do it again, I think I'd do the beach in St Thomas instead.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:08 AM   #12
Davids-Coco
Sometimes my inner monologue isn't so inner

How do you get to coral world?? Taxi I assume...
Old 06-22-2009, 10:43 AM   #13
TheWog
The Curse has been Reversed
We did it on St. Thomas
That sounds like my way to watch them

DS6 and I did the Atlantis Submarine tour in St. Thomas and enjoyed it. We went down about 100 feet or so and went through a reef. We had a great time. I do believe there is an age minimum though.
TheWog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:46 AM   #14
jencald
Earning My Ears

For the Atlantis Submarine tour in St. Thomas, is there enough room for little ones to move around. I have DS 2, DS 6?

ME DH DS DS
jencald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:21 PM   #15
TheWog
The Curse has been Reversed
We did it on St. Thomas
That sounds like my way to watch them

Our tour wasn't full so yes there would be room to move. The seats sit sideways and you face out large portholes. I don't know if they let children as young as 2 y.o. on board though.

http://www.atlantisadventures.com/ca...activities.cfm
TheWog is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: