Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
Borgar
Addicted to the DIS Unplugged podcast

Arrow Parking at the port and luggage question

We're in the last stages of getting ready to depart for our June 14th cruise on the Wonder.

We'll be driving down to FL and parking at the port. After our cruise, we're planning on spending a few days in Savannah, GA, so we were thinking of just leaving the suitcase with our clothes for Savannah in our vehicle while we're on the cruise. Do y'all think the parking lot is secure enough to do this? We have an SUV with a visible cargo area -- I could throw a blanket or something over the suitcase, but it would probably still be obvious.

If this is not advisable -- how much room is there in the stateroom for "extra baggage"? I heard a tip on the podcast that suitcases can fit under the beds if you lift them up a little. The suitcase we're thinking of leaving is a large (25-inch) rolling suitcase. We have one other suitcase of the same size that has our clothes for the cruise, plus a smaller (19-inch) suitcase, plus a garment bag, plus a tote and two backpacks. We're staying in a Cat. 8 stateroom.

Any feedback is appreciated! Grazie.

Off-site 4/01 ~ Port Orleans French Qtr 11/04 ~ Pop Century 11/06 ~ Port Orleans French Qtr 6/08 ~ DCL Wonder 6/09 ~ WDW Dolphin / Royal Pacific Resort 10/10 ~ DCL Dream 3/11 ~ Buena Vista Suites 3/12
Borgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

The lot at the terminal is fenced, lighted, and guarded. The only time there should be ANY people walking in there would be on YOUR departure/arrival day as the lot in use is determined by the cruise you're on. Thus, if you are leaving on a cruise on Sunday, there should be NO ONE walking in the lot until Thursday morning--kinda makes it easy to spot people who don't belong there. We've left stuff in the car with no problems. The lots at the hotels are less secure.

I can get my 28" case under the bed by lifting the frame, but I'd leave it in the car if that's an option.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-11-2009, 07:49 PM   #3
IndyDisneyFan
I want to live at WDW!

We too have left luggage and other items inside of our car for our continuing vacation in Orlando. Everything was safe and secure when we returned with no problems. The lot is very secure and if it were me I would leave the suitcase in the car. If you want to take it on the ship, 2 large and one or two small suitcases will fit inside the closet, plus there is storage under the bed so it would fit in your cabin. It would just be one more suitcase to carry through customs!

Laura
2002- Music, Movies, Contemporary Resort, Polynesian Resort
2003- Port Orleans Riverside, Polynesian Resort, Sports, Coronado Springs
2004- Contemporary Resort, Polynesian Resort
2005- Disney Wonder, Wilderness Lodge, Contemporary Resort, Caribbean Beach
2006- Disney Magic, Wilderness Lodge, Yacht Club, All Star Music
2007- Beach Club, Disney Magic, Saratoga Springs, Disneyland, Polynesian, Disney Wonder, Wilderness Villas
2008- Polynesian, Disney Magic X 2, POFQ, Pop Century, Saratoga Springs, Wilderness Lodge
2009- Port Orleans FQ, Disney Magic X 2, Poly, Pop Century, Animal Kindom Lodge, Contemporary
2010- Port Orleans FQ, Disney Magic, Beach Club Villas, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Disney Wonder, Polynesian
2011- Grand Floridian, Contemporary, French Quarter, Polynesian
2012- Animal Kingdom Lodge, Disney Magic, Old Key West, Disneyland Hotel, Disney Wonder (Hawaii), POFQ
2013- POFQ, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Disney Magic, Grand Floridian, Wilderness Lodge, Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel
2014- Disney Wonder, Polynesian Resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge
IndyDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:56 PM   #4
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

From the Port Canaveral website.

Parking at Your Cruise Terminal
Parking at Port Canaveral's cruise terminals is paved, gated and under 24-hour surveillance. Passengers at Cruise Terminal 10 can choose between an outdoor parking area and a six-level parking garage.

Parking Fees

$15/night for vehicles up to 20 feet in length
$26/night for vehicles over 20 feet
The total fee for the time the vehicle will be parked is due on entry. We accept cash, Visa, Mastercard and Traveler's Checks issued in U.S. dollars.

Parking for the Disabled

Special parking spaces are provided. The parking fee is waived for vehicles that:
1. Have special equipment such as ramps, lifts, foot or hand controls; or
2. Display the Florida Toll Exemption permit. (Call 800-983-2435 ext. 2 to apply for an exemption form.)

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:32 PM   #5
Borgar
Addicted to the DIS Unplugged podcast

Thanks for the great info, everyone! Cheers!

Off-site 4/01 ~ Port Orleans French Qtr 11/04 ~ Pop Century 11/06 ~ Port Orleans French Qtr 6/08 ~ DCL Wonder 6/09 ~ WDW Dolphin / Royal Pacific Resort 10/10 ~ DCL Dream 3/11 ~ Buena Vista Suites 3/12
Borgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:54 PM   #6
Kurby
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you. ~Walt Disney

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

we left TONS of stuff in our van.

mil found out we were driving and left a huge box 2 small boxes plus our luggage from 2 weeks of vacation, blah blah blah.

everything was fine - we have tinted windows but you could still see there was a lot of stuff in there.

we also have a made shelf in the back - i would suggest doing something like that

3 pcs of wood measured to be half the size of the space in the back (because we have a stroller too) and just short of the height of the back seat.

i'll take a pic of it tomorrow if you'd like.

this way people can look in but if your stuff is in the "desk" it's never seen. it also gives you twice the space since you can use below and above the "shelf"

ok i'll take a picture of it tomorrow
Kurby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:03 PM   #7
karibritt01
The primary problem with America is stupidity. Maybe we should just take all the warning labels off and let the problem solve itself.

We left a suitcase, portable DVDs, and WDW bags in our SUV while on our 7 night. Our SUV does have tinted windows, but you can still see in. Everything was safe and sound when we returned!
Old 06-11-2009, 11:23 PM   #8
Kurby
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you. ~Walt Disney

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

here ya go - i forgot i had taken pictures before to show someone else what i'm talking about.

Kurby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:13 AM   #9
BibbidyBobbidyBoo

AKA BIP - Bibbidy is a Pirate

DIS Veteran

We parked at the port with our vehicle and our trailer- and we left a lot of extra stuff (luggage with clothes/shoes and bins of other stuff for our WDW trip that wasn't needed on the cruise, tv, dvd player, tons of dvds, gameboys, you name it was in there!) AND DH even forgot to put the locks on the bikes on the rack behind the trailer! They were racheted on but he forgot to also attach the locks.
Everything was fine while we were gone and yes even the bikes were still there. LOL
2004 ASMU solo trip
2005 ASMO mom & kids trip (June-DD's birthday), ASSP mom & kids trip (Oct-MNSSHP)
2006 GF RPC & Disney "double scoop" cruise (family trip)
2008 Disneyland & EB Panama Canal Cruise (family trip)
2009 WDW @ FW & 7nt Western Cruise (family trip)
2010 DL (mom & kids road trip), WB TransAtlantic Cruise (family trip)
2011 DL & Wonder B2B repo & Alaska! (family trip), offsite WDW mom & kids trip
2012 DL Jan/Feb 2012 (w/friend), WDW/Fantasy 6/23/12 (family trip)
2013 Magic Galveston cruise (family trip), July DL (family trip)
2014 WB Panama Canal Cruise (family trip)
BibbidyBobbidyBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:13 AM   #10
Dianatlol
šoš Disney World / Cruise Addict šoš

We were there in May... and we came back and saw 2 vehicles that were broken into. The security guards were trying to close up the windows with plastic until the people returned to it. So even though it is lit, secured, fenced. They can still get in and break in. Please becareful of what you leave behind in the vehicle!
2010 Caribbean Beach & Wonder Cruise
2011 Magic 7 Day Cruise (May 7, 2011)
2013 DisneyLand
2014 Fantasy 7 Day Cruise (July 19, 2014)
Dianatlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:25 AM   #11
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianatlol View Post
We were there in May... and we came back and saw 2 vehicles that were broken into. The security guards were trying to close up the windows with plastic until the people returned to it. So even though it is lit, secured, fenced. They can still get in and break in. Please becareful of what you leave behind in the vehicle!
This is the first report I've EVER seen of someone having a car disturbed while parked at the port. I'm not saying it didn't happen...just that we've had 11 years of good fortune and now some thugs are spoiling people's vacations.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:48 AM   #12
cwby22
Mouseketeer

Now that the've had a problem, Maybe security will be extra tight for when you (and me) get there.
cwby22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:32 AM   #13
PorterBob
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianatlol View Post
Did they actually tell you thats what happened? I've seen guests be in a hurry and leave their windows down and if someone spots it they will try to cover it for you since afternoon showers are common.
PorterBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:37 PM   #14
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
This is the first report I've EVER seen of someone having a car disturbed while parked at the port. I'm not saying it didn't happen...just that we've had 11 years of good fortune and now some thugs are spoiling people's vacations.
I was just thinking the same thing. We have left things in the back of our Explorer and van and of course there is nothing hiding them. We have always parked in the lot right next to the terminal.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:42 PM   #15
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorterBob View Post
Did they actually tell you thats what happened? I've seen guests be in a hurry and leave their windows down and if someone spots it they will try to cover it for you since afternoon showers are common.
It is good to see that you are not familiar with this problem and what the probable situation was, Bob. It is good to have an insider to get verification from.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
luggage, parking

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: